Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,617 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

A Reconsideration Of Benin-ife Artwork By Babatunde Lawal - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Reconsideration Of Benin-ife Artwork By Babatunde Lawal (462 Views)

Benin-ife Relationship Explored / Late Oniru’s Children And Omogbolahan Lawal Fight Dirty / A Reconsideration Of Ife Artwork (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Reconsideration Of Benin-ife Artwork By Babatunde Lawal by gregyboy(m): 10:48am On Sep 09, 2020
Must read by all benins

1 Like

Re: A Reconsideration Of Benin-ife Artwork By Babatunde Lawal by gregyboy(m): 10:49am On Sep 09, 2020
More

1 Like

Re: A Reconsideration Of Benin-ife Artwork By Babatunde Lawal by TAO11(f): 4:48am On Sep 11, 2020
Babatunde Lawal (1977)’s hypothesis which is simply a reiteration of the original hypothesis by Dennis Williams in 1974 (which both simply follow a somewhat similar lead by A.F.C. Ryder 1965) was devastatingly shattered by Robin Horton in 1979.

Robin Horton based his refutation of the original hypothesis on subsequent finds and information which were not available earlier. He concludes as follows:

As regards the alternative interpretations offered by Ryder and Williams, the recent evidence makes these look decidedly improbable. By-passing Ife and looking to the Benin confederacy, Jukun confederacy or Idah as possible homes of the Ogane now seems far-fetched, to say the least. By-passing Ife and looking to sixteenth-century Portuguese craftsmen for the origin of the Benin brass tradition would now be nothing short of perverse. ...

Summing up, I would say that Obayemi's critique, like the efforts of Ryder and Williams before him, has been rendered out of date by fresh information.

~ Robin Horton, “Ancient Ife: A Reassessment”, Journal of the Historical Society of Nigeria, Vol. 9, No. 4 (June 1979), pp. 87-90

12 Likes

Re: A Reconsideration Of Benin-ife Artwork By Babatunde Lawal by geosegun(m): 7:15am On Sep 11, 2020
TAO11:
Babatunde Lawal (1977)’s hypothesis which is simply a reiteration of the original hypothesis by Dennis Williams in 1974 (which both simply follow a somewhat similar lead by A.F.C. Ryder 1965) was devastatingly shattered by Robin Horton in 1979.

Robin Horton based his refutation of the original hypothesis in subsequent finds and information which were not available easier. He concludes as follows:

As regards the alternative interpretations offered by Ryder and Williams, the recent evidence makes these look decidedly improbable. By-passing Ife and looking to the Benin confederacy, Jukun confederacy or Idah as possible homes of the Ogane now seems far-fetched, to say the least. By-passing Ife and looking to sixteenth-century Portuguese craftsmen for the origin of the Benin brass tradition would now be nothing short of perverse. ...

Summing up, I would say that Obayemi's critique, like the efforts of Ryder and Williams before him, has been rendered out of date by fresh information.

~ Robin Horton, “Ancient Ife: A Reassessment”, Journal of the Historical Society of Nigeria, Vol. 9, No. 4 (June 1979), pp. 87-90

Omo Olofi Ajaiye - You just shred @Gregyboy into oblivion. I doff my cap for you o. You too much... I look forward to meeting you, olu317 and a few others someday...

3 Likes

Re: A Reconsideration Of Benin-ife Artwork By Babatunde Lawal by gregyboy(m): 12:00pm On Sep 12, 2020
geosegun:

Omo Olofi Ajaiye - You just shred @Gregyboy into oblivion. I doff my cap for you o. You too much... I look forward to meeting you, olu317 and a few others someday...

Ooh she didnt tell you, i replied her, stop giving her false hope it makes it difficult for me to curtail her excess lies

Anyway this is my reply....

need pictures of the Maltese cross found on ife sculpture,

I need a dahomey website agreeing to ife as a supreme kingdom fron the east

You fool, ryder was not working with oba eweka11 statement although maybe he did he made use of old documents from benins to have know or determine the location of oghene

Eweka11 statements were said, for political and cultural gains from yorubas which Ryder and Thornton noted, ryder was fully aware of eweka11 statements so definitely he was not confused he consider it too, and it know that the benis were altering their history for reasons known to them

Even if ryder had the evidence on dahomey acknowledging ife as east that wont still chsnge anything because dahomey is not benin, the Portuguese never stood in dahomey when the benins gave them that information,

Anway still i want to see the evidence from dahomey acknowledging it, for my curiosity and for me to determine the degree of your lies and desperation because it wont still alter a thing from ryders work if found to be true

Finding wiskers on ife or owo artwork still wouldn't alter anything the only people in osun that has the cat whiskers are not from ife,
Nevertheless, owo cultures has nothing to do with whiskers in their culture but we have seen some owo Terre cotta sculpture with whiskers same could be said for ife..... This again boils to my fact that this various non cultural features to this sculptures was because the artsains who made and sold the sculptures to ife and owo were not msking them to Refrence the culture of both tribes but to his own taste olowo made it know that art merchants in the Olds sold this sculptures to them and it was not unique to their people unlike the benin, this same purchasing can be associated with ife because of lack of evidence of artesians at ife who made the artworks , and also lack of cultural identities of the sculpture from the ife people, willams also made it known in his article

Again i need to see pictures and articles supoirting ife sculptures dating from 1100 above
And further evidence that shows ife to be older than benin and owo because the last evidence i read was owo palace was the oldest palace amongst all other Yorubas palace

So bring evidence to all this to meI need pictures of the Maltese cross found on ife sculpture,

You fool, ryder was not working with oba eweka11 statement although maybe he did he made use of old documents from benins to have know or determine the location of oghene

Eweka11 statements were said, for political and cultural gains from yorubas which Ryder and Thornton noted, ryder was fully aware of eweka11 statements so definitely he was not confused he consider it too, and it know that the benis were altering their history for reasons known to them

Even if ryder had the evidence on dahomey acknowledging ife as east that wont still chsnge anything because dahomey is not benin, the Portuguese never stood in dahomey when the benins gave them that information,

Anway still i want to see the evidence from dahomey acknowledging it, for my curiosity and for me to determine the degree of your lies and desperation because it wont still alter a thing from ryders work if found to be true

Finding wiskers on ife or owo artwork still wouldn't alter anything the only people in osun that has the cat whiskers are not from ife,
Nevertheless, owo cultures has nothing to do with whiskers in their culture but we have seen some owo Terre cotta sculpture with whiskers same could be said for ife..... This again boils to my fact that this various non cultural features to this sculptures was because the artsains who made and sold the sculptures to ife and owo were not msking them to Refrence the culture of both tribes but to his own taste olowo made it know that art merchants in the Olds sold this sculptures to them and it was not unique to their people unlike the benin, this same purchasing can be associated with ife because of lack of evidence of artesians at ife who made the artworks , and also lack of cultural identities of the sculpture from the ife people, willams also made it known in his article

Again i need to see pictures and articles supoirting ife sculptures dating from 1100 above
And further evidence that shows ife to be older than benin and owo because the last evidence i read was owo palace was the oldest palace amongst all other Yorubas palace

So bring evidence to all this to meI need pictures of the Maltese cross found on ife sculpture,

So bring evidence to all this to me
Re: A Reconsideration Of Benin-ife Artwork By Babatunde Lawal by Olu317(m): 5:57pm On Sep 13, 2020
geosegun:

I appreciate you as well with some great input from you all these times. I look forward to seeng you too in not too distant future.

Respect and regard,

Olu

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Spot Fake News On Social Media / Africans Are Tired Of The Afghan Girl / Meet The Desert Dwellers Of Nigeria: The Wodaabe Tribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.