Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,655 members, 7,816,685 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. (16286 Views)

Blackface Reveals What He Wants From 2baba / Wizkid Stole 'Ojuelegba' From Me- Blackface / Beyonce Under Fire For Wearing This To A Public Concert,the Said She Showed Azz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Ndipe(m): 11:17pm On Feb 23, 2011
[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/398584_Beyonce-In-Blackface_jpg37e34fb47dc9fafd0e372dfcdacafff4[/img]
Beyonce graces the March issue of L'Officiel Paris, but it's a controversial photo of the superstar inside the French fashion magazine that's getting the most attention.

The glossy is celebrating its 90th anniversary, and Beyonce marks the occasion with an homage to Nigerian musician and humanitarian Fela Kuti; Beyonce's husband, Jay-Z, is a producer on the acclaimed Broadway musical "Fela!," based on the icon's life, music and courageous defiance against government corruption. In a statement (via Jezebel), L'Officiel describes the Feli-inspired photo of Beyonce -- sporting blackface, tribal paint and a dress designed by her mom -- as a "return to her African roots, as you can see on the picture, on which her face was voluntarily darkened."

Not everyone is a fan of the editorial vision and tribute to Kuti; the image simultaneously inspires and provokes. Writes Jezebel's Dodai Stewart: "It's fun to play with fashion and makeup, and fashion has a history of provocation and pushing boundaries. But when you paint your face darker in order to look more 'African,' aren't you reducing an entire continent, full of different nations, tribes, cultures and histories, into one brown color?"

"It's one thing to feel moved by Fela Kuti, and quite another to treat blackness as a fashion accessory, like a pair of glittery heels you put on because it looks cool," Stewart adds.

Charing Ball, a writer at the Atlanta Post, blasts the fashion industry's recent obsession with blackface as an accepted form of racism passed off as art. "Blackface is not fashion forward or edgy and, in my opinion, it is just flat-out offensive," writes Ball, incriminating Beyonce in perpetuating the offense.

Blackface has been particularly trendy among European fashion titles; in October 2009, French Vogue featured a white model in blackface a year after the Italian edition of Vogue ran a much-hyped issue with all-black models as a response to the lack of diversity within the industry.

Photos: See Beyonce's top hairstyles

Meanwhile, Beyonce and other black stars have had their skin lightened on the cover of glossy women's mags and in advertisements; see Beyonce's 2008 L'Oreal ad compared with a real photo of the singer. See also: Actress Gabby Sidibe's 2010 Elle magazine cover wherein her dark skin appeared several tones lighter.

"The message we're getting from the fashionistas," Stewart writes, "is that it's bad to actually have dark skin, but totally cool to pretend you have it."

Beyonce will no doubt maintain a diplomatic stance on the photoshoot. But, for once -- for once! -- it would be refreshing to hear her speak her mind and have a stance on something beyond her music.

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/thefamous/beyonce-under-fire-for-blackface-photos/711?nc

Check out this question I asked earlier about this controversial subject.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=608410.msg7764338#msg7764338
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by snthesis(m): 11:43am On Feb 25, 2011
who is Beyonce
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by kemisuga(f): 11:50am On Feb 25, 2011
She is an International Popular Musician.
Jay-Z wife
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by batiatus(m): 12:13pm On Feb 25, 2011
racist ntin more
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by sorrytoo: 12:14pm On Feb 25, 2011
I see it as ART, nothing to it,
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Beync(f): 12:14pm On Feb 25, 2011
How cud she be under fire for painting her face blake for an occation undecided dont celebratis hav right to free makeup to any colour to suit occation
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Emmysteve(m): 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2011
kemisuga:

Jay-Z wife
must you answer this stupid question?
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by MaiSuya(m): 12:26pm On Feb 25, 2011
Not everyone is a fan of the editorial vision and tribute to Kuti; the image simultaneously inspires and provokes. Writes Jezebel's Dodai Stewart: "It's fun to play with fashion and makeup, and fashion has a history of provocation and pushing boundaries. But when you paint your face darker in order to look more 'African,' aren't you reducing an entire continent, full of different nations, tribes, cultures and histories, into one brown color?"

Like duh! WTF were we before??
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Ikeobinna(m): 12:32pm On Feb 25, 2011
beyonce, if nobody talks about u then u are nobody. grin
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by rebranded(m): 12:47pm On Feb 25, 2011
kemisuga:

Jay-Z wife

Thanks i didnt know who she was also grin
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by hbrednic: 12:59pm On Feb 25, 2011
who is Beyonce  is she a hunter and why is she wearing animal skin clothes 
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by stmarc32(m): 1:08pm On Feb 25, 2011
Stupid bitch!! Im sure Fela is even crawling in his grave now looking at this, Africans come in different tones, light brown,dark brown, purple black, She looks like one of those gollywogs sold in the 70s and still in the market now.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Feb 25, 2011
have never heard of the name Beyonce b4
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by delegiwa(m): 1:27pm On Feb 25, 2011
Oyibo too get time on their hands hence this type of "under fire".  Does it make any difference? Black, brown, whatever?  In fact, do we really have people that are black as in black?

Abeg make dem go siddon for Mile III gutter!!!
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by 1forall: 1:28pm On Feb 25, 2011
These people make issues out of nothing
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by snthesis(m): 1:29pm On Feb 25, 2011
kemisuga:

Jay-Z wife
which music genre, she dey sing- is it juju music?
is her husband related to Don Jaz-Z  
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Gemma11: 1:42pm On Feb 25, 2011
It may not mean anything to many Nigerians who are not familar with Black History in the West but to us, especially African Americans it is highly offensive.

Back in the day when Blacks were hardly allowed on a film set, white people would often don a black face to portray a black person character. Not only that, these portrayals were always stupid, dumb and illiterate. These were the only images of Black people seen on TV and the black face has now somewhat become synonymous with a time when Black people were treated less than human and treated a certain way based on a stereotype.

Beyonce, as an African American should have known better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by favouredjb(f): 2:06pm On Feb 25, 2011
snthesis:

which music genre, she dey sing- is it juju music? 
is her husband related to Don Jaz-Z  

grin grin grin grin,
another cork in the making?
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by sayso: 2:12pm On Feb 25, 2011
African woman,make she go born jari
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by TCD: 2:15pm On Feb 25, 2011
Making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Several African tribes paint their faces black, white or whatever colour during cultural performances. What's the big deal? People just prefer to talk and hate for nothing. Haters
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Sibe007(m): 2:33pm On Feb 25, 2011
Gemma11:

It may not mean anything to many Nigerians who are not familar with Black History in the West but to us, especially African Americans it is highly offensive.

Back in the day when Blacks were hardly allowed on a film set, white people would often don a black face to portray a black person character. Not only that, these portrayals were always silly, dumb and illiterate. These were the only images of Black people seen on TV and the black face has now somewhat become synonymous with a time when Black people were treated less than human and treated a certain way based on a stereotype.

Beyonce, as an African American should have known better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

Now it makes Sense,
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by novaman: 2:38pm On Feb 25, 2011
thank you Beyonce, if you American people don't have work for them to place you on fire, don't worry we are behind you with enough water, thank you once more for Fela
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by darqly(m): 3:00pm On Feb 25, 2011
Hulabaloo over nothing really. Why is it racist when whites try to look black and only 'bleaching' when blacks try to look white? I have no issues with Blackface- Its mainly Afro-americans that are neither here nor there and have alot of time and cyberspace on their hands.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Jonfort(m): 3:17pm On Feb 25, 2011
i lov beyonce, she always knw hw 2 mak money
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by buzugee(m): 3:45pm On Feb 25, 2011
darqly:

Hulabaloo over nothing really. Why is it racist when whites try to look black and only 'bleaching' when blacks try to look white? I have no issues with Blackface- Its mainly Afro-americans that are neither here nor there and have alot of time and cyberspace on their hands.
i assume you also have no issues with taking a poo and rinsing your bunghole with a bowl of water and your fingers but a lot of african americans have issues with that. my point being, stop being an insensitive and belligerent prick.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by EzeUche2(m): 3:46pm On Feb 25, 2011
I know I don't look like that. And I Fela was not even that dark either.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by FabulousE1: 3:47pm On Feb 25, 2011
She had better take her time b4 Dooms Day M.J episode Hit Her Bad. Beyonce is Getting so fake. Make she no annoy me,or else i wud swear for Her.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by SisiKill1: 3:48pm On Feb 25, 2011
Mai Suya:

Like duh! WTF were we before??  

Haba Mai gida na, don’t make me fight you oh!  After all these years, don’t you know our sensitive cousins prefer one to be very specific about their shade of brown.

There’s Mocha, there’s caramel, there light cool brown, there’s brown, there ashy brown, chocolate, dark chocolate, golden chocolate, there’s brunette , Sepia, Chestnut, golden chestnut, caramel chestnut. . . so really, you can see why they would be very upset at being called just black. I mean it’s just so pedestrian and meant for bush people like us. cry

Thinking out loud

Hmmmm, if a Golden Chocolate skinned woman mates with a Mocha skinned man, I wonder what color will their child would be?

By the way, I'm Ashy brown. . . what are you?
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by furacao(m): 3:56pm On Feb 25, 2011
kemisuga:

Jay-Z wife

Who is JayZ?
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by buzugee(m): 3:57pm On Feb 25, 2011
furacao:

Who is JayZ?
only the hottest p-o-r-n star in town
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Feb 25, 2011
These black americans will not cease to amaze one,now its about Mrs.Carter's paint.I wonder where they were when her complexion transformation occur (for those who dont know Bey used to be much darker say like 10years ago,now dem dey vex say she wan return to her true colour.@Fabulous E,Bey has been fake for like 4,5 years now and arguably from the beginning.Make these sensitive stranded slaves shut it abeg,no time for okpaks.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Feb 25, 2011
These black americans will not cease to amaze one,now its about Mrs.Carter's paint.I wonder where they were when her complexion transformation occur (for those who dont know Bey used to be much darker say like 10years ago,now dem dey vex say she wan return to her true colour.@Fabulous E,Bey has been fake for like 4,5 years now and arguably from the beginning.Make these sensitive stranded slaves shut it abeg,no time for okpaks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2face, MI, 9ice, KSB, Others Perform At Kaduna Music Festival (photos) / Fans Slam Mr Eazi After He Claimed To "Be A Blessing To Others" / Kelvin Igwe Slams Ubi Franklin For 'Stealing His Business Ideas'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.