Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,835 members, 7,831,706 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. (16290 Views)

Blackface Reveals What He Wants From 2baba / Wizkid Stole 'Ojuelegba' From Me- Blackface / Beyonce Under Fire For Wearing This To A Public Concert,the Said She Showed Azz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by AngieFan(f): 1:11pm On Feb 27, 2011
cap28:

After reading some of the posts on here i am now convinced that there is a marked difference between how black people who were born and raised in america view racism from the way black people who came to the US as adults view racism.

You have to have lived through it to understand it and unfortunately many nigerians who came to the west as full grown adults do not understand what its like to live in an environment where being black is regarded as a mark of inferiority.

This is why some posters on here are saying things like: "whats the big deal", "why cant you move on" whereas blacks who were born and raised in an environment in which they have constantly been told that they are less than, automatically take offence to these pictures.

I have spent a lot of time researching and reading about the experience of african americans and i understand why african americans/ black people born and raised in america are upset.

Being black in america is synonymous with inferiority - there are some nigerians who are in complete denial about this but you can not run away from the truth. Black people in america have it ingrained in them from the cradle to the grave that there is something wrong with them because they are black, furthermore dark skin (especially on women is regarded as unattractive) the western media has placed on a pedestal the beauty of the white woman and has degraded the beauty of the black woman, this is evident in those pictures that Beyonce took in which the make up artiststs darken her skin in such a way that it looks as if the darkness of her skin is blotting out her beauty, in other words being very dark skinned makes it impossible for people to actually tell whether you are beautiful or not - this is what the white fashion and beauty industry thinks of dark skin.

Were Fela's dancers and singers not mostly dark skinned? were they not exquisitely beautiful? did any of them look like that caricature that Beyonce displayed in that magazine?

If you look at the way Fela's dancers/singers decorated their faces you can tell that this was done with the utmost care and attention, their faces were like works of art, contrast that with the cartoonish sambo like distortions on beyonce and you will see that the whites are merely using beyonce as a way to further push their insidious campaign that dark skin is not beautiful.

In the old days white entertainers would put boot polish on their faces and pretend to be black people - they would speak and act like braindead buffoons because this is how they wanted the world to perceive black people, as a result "black face" became synonymous with the words: clown, buffoon, sambo, simpleton and fool. It therefore beggars beleif that Beyonce and her handlers would go as far as using this sort of imagery to portray an african person.

Does it mean that beyonce and her handlers are so devoid of self respect and basic human dignity that they would be willing to not only demean themselves for a quick buck but also disregard the suffering and abuse meted out to their ancestors who fought for years to rise above those kind of hateful images and be treated as equals in a nation built on the sweat of their ancestors?

A new dawn it is! I actually agree with everything you said. . .
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by cap28: 1:56pm On Feb 27, 2011
^^^^

angiefan glad to hear it lol

This is how Fela's wives/dancers and singers looked - is there any connection between this and that pathetic monstrosity displayed by sell out (wanna be latina) beyonce?

http://www.afrobeatmusic.net/html/fela_s_queens_1.html
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by InkedNerd(f): 6:32pm On Feb 27, 2011
Jenifa_:

you're reading way too much into what i said. where is your sense of humor.

besides take a look at the pictures again. especially the one where she has black face and white paint stripes. obviously she was going for the tribal "African look". Yes there is no such thing as African look blah blah blah. but you get the point when I say tribal/bush african look.
the white stripes and outfit look out of place on a woman who looks more Caucasian than African.

Many fashion designers use dark skinned models to pull off that look. But I guess it was Beyonce's editorial so she wanted to model the outfit herself and appear on the cover. she is the celebrity after all. but she should have picked a different theme like maybe safari/tourist etc. I'm sure there are other ways to market the leopard outfits or whatever it is she's trying to market (herself +mom's clothing line).

bottom line:
my guess is that she was trying to go for a tribal look like the pic below, but her skin was too light to pull it off  so she used black paint to make it look more authentic but obvious at the same time. That's what I am guessing anyway. hence it is an opinion lol I'm sure Beyonce herself may come out soon to explain why she used a "black face." I put black face in quotation because I don't think what she did is a black face ie the racist definition. That's like me putting a white sheet around myself because i'm cold and somebody else coming to tell me that i'm KKK. the intention matters more. but I agree she should have expected criticism. she wasn't being culturally sensitive

Sense of humor? No offense but it didn't come across as a joke. Even ogugua88 seemed to take it in the manner as I did. Anyway, thanks for clarifying about what you think her reason was for darkening her skin.

cap28:

After reading some of the posts on here i am now convinced that there is a marked difference between how black people who were born and raised in america view racism from the way black people who came to the US as adults view racism.

You have to have lived through it to understand it and unfortunately many nigerians who came to the west as full grown adults do not understand what its like to live in an environment where being black is regarded as a mark of inferiority.

This is why some posters on here are saying things like: "whats the big deal", "why cant you move on" whereas blacks who were born and raised in an environment in which they have constantly been told that they are less than, automatically take offence to these pictures.

I have spent a lot of time researching and reading about the experience of african americans and i understand why african americans/ black people born and raised in america are upset.

Being black in america is synonymous with inferiority - there are some nigerians who are in complete denial about this but you can not run away from the truth. Black people in america have it ingrained in them from the cradle to the grave that there is something wrong with them because they are black, furthermore dark skin (especially on women is regarded as unattractive) the western media has placed on a pedestal the beauty of the white woman and has degraded the beauty of the black woman, this is evident in those pictures that Beyonce took in which the make up artiststs darken her skin in such a way that it looks as if the darkness of her skin is blotting out her beauty, in other words being very dark skinned makes it impossible for people to actually tell whether you are beautiful or not - this is what the white fashion and beauty industry thinks of dark skin.

Were Fela's dancers and singers not mostly dark skinned? were they not exquisitely beautiful? did any of them look like that caricature that Beyonce displayed in that magazine?

If you look at the way Fela's dancers/singers decorated their faces you can tell that this was done with the utmost care and attention, their faces were like works of art, contrast that with the cartoonish sambo like distortions on beyonce and you will see that the whites are merely using beyonce as a way to further push their insidious campaign that dark skin is not beautiful.

In the old days white entertainers would put boot polish on their faces and pretend to be black people - they would speak and act like braindead buffoons because this is how they wanted the world to perceive black people, as a result "black face" became synonymous with the words: clown, buffoon, sambo, simpleton and fool. It therefore beggars beleif that Beyonce and her handlers would go as far as using this sort of imagery to portray an african person.

Does it mean that beyonce and her handlers are so devoid of self respect and basic human dignity that they would be willing to not only demean themselves for a quick buck but also disregard the suffering and abuse meted out to their ancestors who fought for years to rise above those kind of hateful images and be treated as equals in a nation built on the sweat of their ancestors?

Well said cap28 wink
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by fabshopper(f): 6:34pm On Feb 27, 2011
I totally agree with Cap28. Im a student and i had to do a report on african american stereotypes once. The blackface is so symbolic in AA history. Its really appalling that a respectable black woman like Beyonce would allow her face to be painted to portray this stereotype. People have a right to be offended by this.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Jenifa1: 7:38am On Feb 28, 2011

You have to have lived through it to understand it and unfortunately many nigerians who came to the west as full grown adults do not understand what its like to live in an environment where being black is regarded as a mark of inferiority

cap28,
what do you mean black adult immigrants do not understand what it is like to live in a racist environment

the sensitivity comes from education (what they have been taught in school) rather than lived experience. african americans or african immigrants who have learned about the history of black face might read into the picture and take offense whereas a black who knows nothing about the history of blackface will see nothing wrong with the picture because it definitely does not look offensive on the surface. it looks pretty in fact

Also, I think that people who are constantly being told that they are inferior will internalize this idea and that's why when Africans come to the US, they are taunted and ridiculed by African Americans who actually now believe that being dark or african is inferior and see in these africans what they are trying to shed from themselves.

I think a lot of sensitivity over beyonce's "black face" exposes some of that inferiority complex. I personally see beauty in that picture not a caricature. although considering the history of "black face" I will agree that it was done in poor taste. The whole outcry is way over the top.

Sense of humor? No offense but it didn't come across as a joke. Even ogugua88 seemed to take it in the manner as I did. Anyway, thanks for clarifying about what you think her reason was for darkening her skin.

more of a funny exaggeration. no offense taken if you didn't get it lol. I mean why would french people be confused by beyonce's natural skin color.  tongue
but yea no problem.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 28, 2011
Hmm, well, my own sensitivity comes from personal experience with racism. I never gave a hoot before I experienced it. I didn't celebrate MLK Jr., Day, I wasn't a supporter of Black History Month and never celebrated it because, as a Nigerian born and raised in America, I felt it wasn't of my concern. I come from a family of immigrants, so, then, wetin concern me for Black History Month and MLK Day? I would think that, in most cases, people change from personal experience, and not because of what they read in a book.

Beyonce is no stranger to this world. A vast majority of those who know of her existence know that the woman is Black/AA. With that said, I believe the outcry is not over the top. To be honest, most of the complaints I have heard are from this website and maybe Yahoo. The outcry is not enough. This is an alleged role model who, to some of us, conveyed blackface through her photos. Whether it was on purpose or unintentional is not the issue. She should have known better. Her parents are African Americans. She knows the history of African Americans and their struggles to rise against racism, from small issues like African American music videos being played on MTV to bigger issues like civil rights. She has been involved with and has been recognized by the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People).

How foolish or oblivious must one be to not know that blackface to represent Africans is tacky? A fellow African American for that matter. She considers herself an AA and a role model to Africans and AAs yet she has to darken her face to portray Africans? She can't be that dumb. I know she watched cartoons as a child and knows AA history. She's from Texas for goodness sake.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by DeeJay20: 12:12pm On Feb 28, 2011
cap28:

Being black in america is synonymous with inferiority - there are some nigerians who are in complete denial about this but you can not run away from the truth.  Black people in america have it ingrained in them from the cradle to the grave that there is something wrong with them because they are black, furthermore dark skin (especially on women is regarded as unattractive)  the western media has placed on a pedestal the beauty of the white woman and has degraded the beauty of the black woman, this is evident in those pictures that Beyonce took in which the make up artiststs darken her skin in such a way that it looks as if the darkness of her skin is blotting out her beauty, in other words being very dark skinned makes it impossible for people to actually tell whether you are beautiful or not - this is what the white fashion and beauty industry thinks of dark skin.

In the old days white entertainers would put boot polish on their faces and pretend to be black people - they would speak and act like braindead buffoons because this is how they wanted the world to perceive black people, as a result "black face" became synonymous with  the words: clown, buffoon, sambo, simpleton and fool. It therefore beggars beleif that Beyonce and her handlers would go as far as using this sort of imagery  to portray an african person.

CO-SIGN!, U ARE 100% CORRECT!,

And your analysis of how Nigerians in America view themself is also
correct to!!!, not all but too many think that African-Americans should just
move on,

But what they fail to realise that Non-Black Americans play a subtle divide
and conquer strategy with african-american and Black-Africans in America.

Aslo Nigerians in America should be more considerate and understanding of there
fellow African-American brothers and sisters despite the problems in the
African American community considering that it was African-Americans that fought
for better civil rights and benefits not "Tunde", "Emeka", "Bumi" or "Alhaji"!!!

If not for African-Americans hard fought victories all Nigerians in America would still be drinking from segregated water-fountains and sitting at the back of the Bus!!!
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Nwaokike(f): 2:06pm On Feb 28, 2011
Cheiiii, she looks lyk an abiku,
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by chic2pimp(m): 4:45pm On Feb 28, 2011
DeeJay20:

African American community considering that it was African-Americans that fought
for better civil rights and benefits not "Tunde", "Emeka", "Bumi" or "Alhaji"!!!
If not for African-Americans hard fought victories all Nigerians in America would still be drinking from segregated water-fountains and sitting at the back of the Bus!!!

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by ADM1(m): 5:34pm On Feb 28, 2011
I have to say this again: It's not a big story in the United States. I have seen no media coverage of this story. What do you say we put this thing to rest?
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by ADM1(m): 5:45pm On Feb 28, 2011
cap28:

Excellent comment, but you make it sound like there's no racism or bigotry in other parts of the world. You live in Europe. You mean to tell me there's no bigotry in Europe including jolly old England? Look at the anti-Muslim sentiment in Europe. It's huge! I assume you've heard of the BNP.

By the way, not every black person in the Western Hemisphere, whether they're American or Dominican, hate being black. Most are not like Sammy Sosa.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by InkedNerd(f): 6:41pm On Feb 28, 2011
A.D.M.:

Excellent comment, but you make it sound like there's no racism or bigotry in other parts of the world. You live in Europe. You mean to tell me there's no bigotry in Europe including jolly old England? Look at the anti-Muslim sentiment in Europe. It's huge! I assume you've heard of the BNP.

By the way, not every black person in the Western Hemisphere, whether they're American or Dominican, hate being black. Most are not like Sammy Sosa.

I don't think cap28 meant that there isn't racism in over parts of the world. Of course we know it exists elsewhere--its just that the way race is viewed in the US is different from how race is viewed in let's say Europe or Africa.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by cap28: 8:35pm On Feb 28, 2011
A.D.M.:

thanks ADM, my response was limited to the situation in the US thats why i focused in on the history of "black face" in america. 

There is rabid racism all over europe, England is very racist and blacks here do not have access to the same level of opportunities or even enjoy the same levels of success as blacks in america.  There is also a  racial hierarchy here with whites at the top, asians and other non black groups in the middle and blacks at the bottom, our low population (approximately 3% ensures that we have very little influence in determining policy).

The BNP have a huge following amongst working class whites who have been affected the most by  job losses following the economic downturn, in a bid to blame someone for the economic mess created by the last labour govt and the ongoing brutal austerity measures being implemented by the tory/liberal democrat govt they look for scapegoats and the easiest people to blame are immigrants.   

The reality is that the BNP are  opportunitists who manipulate and feed off the deepseated racism that many white british people feel towards non white people in this country.

You are right the anti muslim sentiment IS huge, it has deliberately been whipped up by the right wing media who created "Islamophobia" (an irrational fear or hatred of muslims) by linking terrorist attacks carried out in america and britain with islam, again this was done deliberately by the media in order to create a divide and rule environment, the more divided you are the easier you are to control as they say.

I think Sammy Sosa is an extreme example of a self hating black person ,  there are however,  a lot of black people in the west who secretely hate being black - this is played out in many ways, one example being the promotion of black beauty by the western corporate media by using mixed race women as a representation of black beauty - almost every "black woman" used to promote black beauty in the west is of mixed race origin (Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Beyonce) as opposed to India Irie, Lauren Hill or any black woman who does not have obvious europeans facial features or skin tone.

The years of racism that diasporan blacks have been subjected to at the hands of whites has now manifested itself as internalised self hatred.   
Its gradually spreading to africa as well because of the insidious effect of the toxic western media and many african people now show symptoms of this mindset.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by savanaha: 12:48am On Mar 01, 2011
cap28:

thanks ADM, my response was limited to the situation in the US thats why i focused in on the history of "black face" in america.

There is rabid racism all over europe, England is very racist and blacks here do not have access to the same level of opportunities or even enjoy the same levels of success as blacks in america. There is also a racial hierarchy here with whites at the top, asians and other non black groups in the middle and blacks at the bottom, our low population (approximately 3% ensures that we have very little influence in determining policy).

The BNP have a huge following amongst working class whites who have been affected the most by job losses following the economic downturn, in a bid to blame someone for the economic mess created by the last labour govt and the ongoing brutal austerity measures being implemented by the tory/liberal democrat govt they look for scapegoats and the easiest people to blame are immigrants.

The reality is that the BNP are opportunitists who manipulate and feed off the deepseated racism that many white british people feel towards non white people in this country.

You are right the anti muslim sentiment IS huge, it has deliberately been whipped up by the right wing media who created "Islamophobia" (an irrational fear or hatred of muslims) by linking terrorist attacks carried out in america and britain with islam, again this was done deliberately by the media in order to create a divide and rule environment, the more divided you are the easier you are to control as they say.

I think Sammy Sosa is an extreme example of a self hating black person , there are however, a lot of black people in the west who secretely hate being black - this is played out in many ways, one example being the promotion of black beauty by the western corporate media by using mixed race women as a representation of black beauty - almost every "black woman" used to promote black beauty in the west is of mixed race origin (Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Beyonce) as opposed to India Irie, Lauren Hill or any black woman who does not have obvious europeans facial features or skin tone.

The years of racism that diasporan blacks have been subjected to at the hands of whites has now manifested itself as internalised self hatred.
Its gradually spreading to africa as well because of the insidious effect of the toxic western media and many african people now show symptoms of this mindset.

The bolded is sad but very true. That's why many African women are poisoning themselves with mercury by using bleaching cremes.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Ndipe(m): 1:37am On Mar 01, 2011
At first, I would have sided with the critics, but upon reflection, I have to ask, why do we get so sensitive when someone, be they black or white, paints themselves BLACK? Our skintone come in varying hues of skin complexion, like the Ghanaians, who can be very dark like charcoal. Not being sarcastic, but lets embrace our culture and celebrate our skin color.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Nobody: 4:41am On Mar 01, 2011
Ndipe:

At first, I would have sided with the critics, but upon reflection, I have to ask, why do we get so sensitive when someone, be they black or white, paints themselves BLACK? Our skintone come in varying hues of skin complexion, like the Ghanaians, who can be very dark like charcoal. Not being sarcastic, but lets embrace our culture and celebrate our skin color.

you answered your own question.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by InkedNerd(f): 8:08am On Mar 01, 2011
ogugua88:

you answered your own question.

lol grin

cap28:

There is rabid racism all over europe, England is very racist and blacks here do not have access to the same level of opportunities or even enjoy the same levels of success as blacks in america.  There is also a  racial hierarchy here with whites at the top, asians and other non black groups in the middle and blacks at the bottom, our low population (approximately 3% ensures that we have very little influence in determining policy).

The BNP have a huge following amongst working class whites who have been affected the most by  job losses following the economic downturn, in a bid to blame someone for the economic mess created by the last labour govt and the ongoing brutal austerity measures being implemented by the tory/liberal democrat govt they look for scapegoats and the easiest people to blame are immigrants.   

The reality is that the BNP are  opportunitists who manipulate and feed off the deepseated racism that many white british people feel towards non white people in this country.

I think Sammy Sosa is an extreme example of a self hating black person ,  there are however,  a lot of black people in the west who secretely hate being black - this is played out in many ways, one example being the promotion of black beauty by the western corporate media by using mixed race women as a representation of black beauty - almost every "black woman" used to promote black beauty in the west is of mixed race origin (Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Beyonce) as opposed to India Irie, Lauren Hill or any black woman who does not have obvious europeans facial features or skin tone.

Gradually? These feelings of self hatred have always exiswted since Europeans came and shoved their views on beauty down our throats. Even my own gran mother, although I love her, at times she makes comments here and there about certain features on Black people being unappealing and in the same breath she'll praise the same features of a Caucasian. These views that are nothing new to people of color undecided.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Jenifa1: 6:35pm On Mar 01, 2011
Ndipe:

I agree. the sensitivity mostly comes from inferiority complex in my own opinion.
being dark like charcoal is considered inferior to being light among AAs.
when whites take up on these feelings that already exist in our society, then we become really offended.

ex. don imus comment about "nappy headed hoe" and the outrage that followed suit.
he was only repeating what we blacks already do to disparage ourselves. why are we ashamed that our inferiority complex has been revealed to the world?

even words like the "n" word. it's ok for us to use it on ourselves but it's racist and insensitive if whites do the same.

I really don't get it.

Hmm, well, my own sensitivity comes from personal experience with racism. I never gave a hoot before I experienced it. I didn't celebrate MLK Jr., Day, I wasn't a supporter of Black History Month and never celebrated it because, as a Nigerian born and raised in America, I felt it wasn't of my concern. I come from a family of immigrants, so, then, wetin concern me for Black History Month and MLK Day? I would think that, in most cases, people change from personal experience, and not because of what they read in a book.

are you saying immigrant blacks don't experience racism?
or they don't experience as much racism as African Americans?

yea that's because you connected your personal experience to what you read in the book+ your socialization (AA friends etc)!!

ex. an immigrant who experiences racism will conceptualize it differently than an African American who experiences the same form of racism based on their background and education.

ex. if an AA experiences racism, he will connect it to slavery or jim crow or what have you
whereas an immigrant black might connect it to colonization.

doesn't mean the racism experienced by the AA is worse than what the immigrant blacks are experiencing.

this beyonce's black face for example, it is the "history" behind it that makes it "racist". the act itself is not racist. beyonce is black for christsake and was only trying to sell her mom's clothes! not make a joke out of blacks.

even if she were being racist, think about it, the picture there is used to represent Africans (tribal africans) so in reality, it's Africans that should be most pissed. and it's a French Magazine.
so I really don't understand american blacks' outrage.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Jenifa1: 6:54pm On Mar 01, 2011
here are however,  a lot of black people in the west who secretely hate being black - this is played out in many ways, one example being the promotion of black beauty by the western corporate media by using mixed race women as a representation of black beauty - almost every "black woman" used to promote black beauty in the west is of mixed race origin (Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Beyonce) as opposed to India Irie, Lauren Hill or any black woman who does not have obvious europeans facial features or skin tone.

cap28,

so why do you think white fashion designers prefer to use dark skin black girls sometimes over light skin ones?
whereas black entertainers prefer to use light skin or mixed models.

to me the promotion of mixed race women as being more beautiful (at least presently) is propagated by we blacks ourselves!!! not by whites.
most black entertainers will tell you in a heart beat that they prefer lighter skin, long straight hair girls in their videos etc. majority of their audience is black by the way.

case in point: I think a dark skinned african looking girl with nappy hair will be found more beautiful by whites than by blacks.

which goes back to Ndipe's comment that we need to embrace our selves before asking other races to do the same.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by InkedNerd(f): 7:25pm On Mar 01, 2011
Jenifa_:

cap28,

so why do you think white fashion designers prefer to use dark skin black girls sometimes over light skin ones?

to me the promotion of mixed race women as being more beautiful (at least presently) is propagated by we blacks ourselves!!! not by whites.
most black entertainers will tell you in a heart beat that they prefer lighter skin, long straight hair girls in their videos etc. majority of their audience is black by the way.

case in point: I think a dark skinned african looking girl with nappy hair will be found more beautiful by whites than by blacks.

which goes back to Ndipe's comment that we need to embrace our selves before asking other races to do the same.

Jenifa_, I wouldn't say they prefer to use dark skinned models more than light skinned models. Usually the designers who choose to us a lot of dark skinned models are just trying to make a statement gain a lot of attention for their shows--its not necessarily because they prefer the darker models. When I go to fashion week with my sister when she interviews designers , yes I do see some dark models but for the most part, dark skin is still seen as a negative thing. I will agree with you on one thing though, we as black people do perpetuate those about beauty. . .White people do have a role in it though. Initially during slavery [in the US], black people were always made to feel inferior about their features [by white people] and in turn we have internalized it. There were even laws in the us that forbid black people from showing their hair in public because white people felt that black hair was offensive. Those individuals who see people of mixed heritage and admire their beauty because of that do it because of those feelings they've internalized-- people who looked or possessed features that were close or similar to a white person were see as better because to them it seemed that they were closest to being white. Have you ever heard people say "Light and bright and damn near white"? The whole thin is just one sickening never ending cycle.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by ADM1(m): 8:07pm On Mar 01, 2011
Self-hatred exist everywhere unfortunately. In Latin America, black is seen by some as ugly, too (don't know why some only think it's a U.S. thing). Sammy Sosa is just one example. Most Dominicans are of African descent and some recognize it and embrace it. But if you call one black, a lot of them will get offended and say, "I'm not black, I'm Latino." It's not just African descendants and Africans. People in India still think there's a caste system depending on complexion. There was controversy in India a couple years ago involving a commercial promoting a skin bleaching product. It showed a dark-skinned man being sad and depressed. After he used the product, he became happy and women flocked to him.

In Korea, there are women who get plastic surgery to make their eyes look "Western." That's obviously a code word for white or European. No matter how you look at it, it's all very sad. As for outrage about Beyonce, I don't see it, so I guess it'll be buried.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by InkedNerd(f): 8:17pm On Mar 01, 2011
A.D.M.:

Self-hatred exist everywhere unfortunately. In Latin America, black is seen by some as ugly, too (don't know why some only think it's a U.S. thing). Sammy Sosa is just one example. Most Dominicans are of African descent and some recognize it and embrace it. But if you call one black, a lot of them will get offended and say, "I'm not black, I'm Latino." It's not just African descendants and Africans. People in India still think there's a caste system depending on complexion. There was controversy in India a couple years ago involving a commercial promoting a skin bleaching product. It showed a dark-skinned man being sad and depressed. After he used the product, he became happy and women flocked to him.

In Korea, there are women who get plastic surgery to make their eyes look "Western." That's obviously a code word for white or European. No matter how you look at it, it's all very sad. As for outrage about Beyonce, I don't see it, so I guess it'll be buried.

Yes, you are correct. Self hatred exists all over the world.

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6oaEHsdhOs[/flash]

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBukJHyV_sk&feature=related[/flash]
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by londoner: 8:50pm On Mar 01, 2011
If Beyonce and people like her did not feel their light skin tone stopped them from being seen as less authentically Black or African, perhaps she would not feel that she has to darken her skin to look more African.

Even here, when people who are actually African are chosen in competitions like Miss Nigeria for example, people reject their authenticity simply because of their skin tone.

If Fela had dancers of all shades, would she have seen dark skin as being synonymous with them?

Maybe when she did her research, dark skinned women was all that was represented.

Black people love to pull the "we come in all shades" card when it is in their favour and at other times are just as quick to say someone is "not black enough" because they are simply not dark enough.

If beyonce made the shoot with her own skin tone, I can bet money there would still be criticism.

Oh yes, before I forget, for all those here saying people who are not born in the west cant understand. maybe your right, but I was born and raised in the west and the most shadist, zenophobic anti-Africans I have ever encountered are those who are also Black, it is worse coming from your own.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by ADM1(m): 9:17pm On Mar 01, 2011
This will be my last comment concerning this thread. I personally don't care if you're light-skinned or dark-skinned. Black is black to me. And as a black man, I personally believe black women are the most beautiful women on the planet. This nonsense has to stop. All this skin complexion and "not being black enough" garbage is killing us. Divide and conquer is the oldest trick in the book and it still works. What I think we need to do is stop looking to the media for what's acceptable and stop trying to gain favoritism from those who don't look like at us and don't like us. I know it has something to do with colonization and the media. But we need to strong-minded people and get rid of those mental shackles. WE ARE NOT INFERIOR TO ANYBODY!
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by SisiKill1: 9:56pm On Mar 01, 2011
A.D.M.:

This will be my last comment concerning this thread. I personally don't care if you're light-skinned or dark-skinned. Black is black to me. And as a black man, I personally believe black women are the most beautiful women on the planet. This nonsense has to stop. All this skin complexion and "not being black enough" garbage is killing us. Divide and conquer is the oldest trick in the book and it still works. What I think we need to do is stop looking to the media for what's acceptable and stop trying to gain favoritism from those who don't look like at us and don't like us. I know it has something to do with colonization and the media. But we need to strong-minded people and get rid of those mental shackles. WE ARE NOT INFERIOR TO ANYBODY!

Word!!!
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by cap28: 10:49pm On Mar 01, 2011
Jenifa_:

cap28,

i admit that SOME fashion designers use dark skinned black women rather than lighter skinned black women but this is actually not common and it tends to be european  haute couture fashion designers like Yves St Laurent and Christian Dior which are aimed at a smaller audience  - perhaps the europeans appreciate darker skinned black women - im not really sure, on the whole women who are seen as being closer to the supposed ideal of white beauty tend to be the ones that are used when targeting a wider audience  ie lighter skinned with european facial features and body shape.

With the black entertainers i would say that they are victims of internalised racism which has taught them to be ashamed of being black, years and years of brainwashing and negative imagery has made them place the beauty of every other woman over and above the beauty of their own women, sadly many of these black entertainers beleive non white women are prettier than their own women.

You're probably right about black people promoting mixed race people above their own black people in terms of beauty, but again doesnt this stem from years of brainwashing and internalised feelings of inferiority complex caused by white racism?
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Jenifa1: 2:53am On Mar 02, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Jenifa_, I wouldn't say they prefer to use dark skinned models more than light skinned models. Usually the designers who choose to us a lot of dark skinned models are just trying to make a statement gain a lot of attention for their shows--its not necessarily because they prefer the darker models. When I go to fashion week with my sister when she interviews designers , yes I do see some dark models but for the most part, dark skin is still seen as a negative thing. I will agree with you on one thing though, we as black people do perpetuate those about beauty. . .White people do have a role in it though. Initially during slavery [in the US], black people were always made to feel inferior about their features [by white people] and in turn we have internalized it. There were even laws in the us that forbid black people from showing their hair in public because white people felt that black hair was offensive. Those individuals who see people of mixed heritage and admire their beauty because of that do it because of those feelings they've internalized-- people who looked or possessed features that were close or similar to a white person were see as better because to them it seemed that they were closest to being white. Have you ever heard people say "Light and bright and damn near white"? The whole thin is just one sickening never ending cycle.

being dark skinned is seen as a negative thing more among blacks than among whites. many whites i've met find dark skin to be beautiful. totally opposite of what we blacks think about ourselves!! at least this is my experience anyway
yes whites definitely had a role in the inferiorit complex that we have but we are the ones who have to step up to change it.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by InkedNerd(f): 3:30am On Mar 02, 2011
Jenifa_:

being dark skinned is seen as a negative thing more among blacks than among whites. many whites i've met find dark skin to be beautiful. totally opposite of what we blacks think about ourselves!! at least this is my experience anyway
yes whites definitely had a role in the inferiorit complex that we have but we are the ones who have to step up to change it.

Yes, we really do need to step up and change it undecided
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Nobody: 12:01am On Mar 04, 2011
According to Yardflex.com Beyonce was the one who agreed to the 'black face' act.
I think Beyonce was seriously trying to show that she is 'down' but I also think that there
is a hint of sarcasm in this after years of being called "too white". It is no secret that Beyonce
has used lightening creams to highlight her Creole background however I think it would be
better that she address the public with words and not with this silliness.

Self hatred in the black community is a direct result of the African slave trade.
In my opinion being beaten in the back as a slave is not as bad as hating yourself
enough to side with those who were equipped with the whips. SOME THING on this VERY
thread have made some "anti dark skin" remarks and as an African she/IT should be thoroughly
ashamed of her/ITself.

Yardflex's account: (pretty much the same as the posters)

[size=18pt]Beyonce darkens up for tribal-inspired photo shoot[/size]

She was recently accused of looking 'too white' - but now Beyoncé has donned black face make-up for a shoot in French fashion magazine L'Officiel Paris.

In their 90th-anniversary issue, the Crazy In Love star takes inspiration from African culture and wears head wraps as well as tribal-style clothing and accessories - and she is seen with her caramel skintones darkened by heavy make-up.

Respected fashion magazine L'Officiel has defended the shoot, saying in a statement that Beyoncé was 'paying homage to African queens' and as a 'return to her African roots, as you can see on the picture, on which her face was voluntarily darkened.'

The magazine added: 'As for the artistic make-up, the inspiration came from several African rituals during which paint is used on the face.

Earlier this month, Beyoncé was seen sporting what was deemed a 'lighter look' with bleached blonde hair and skin that appeared to be paler than her usual shade, though dermalogical experts pointed out it was probably just a trick of the light.

And in August 2008, L'Oreal was accused of 'whitewashing' the star in an advert by digitally lightening her skin.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Nobody: 2:54am On Mar 04, 2011
Jenifa_:

. . . .even if she were being racist, think about it, the picture there is used to represent Africans (tribal africans) so in reality, it's Africans that should be most pissed. and it's a French Magazine.
so I really don't understand american blacks' outrage.

Let me inform u that the racist "black face" stage performances of the early 20th century in which whites would
put on black face paint, paint their lips pink with a false gap in their teeth and put on "nappy wigs" making fun of blacks and living up to stereotypes
(such as being the 'dumb character' who cheeses/grins all of the time while being the butt of all jokes. These 'stage negroes' would speak horrible English and eat watermelon) was directed to and made fun of black Americans. We blacks of the United States/Caribbean were targeted without Africans in mind as sorry to say Africans were not viewed as being 'part of the struggle' therefore not considered a target. Altho we are of African descent, our struggles were/are different from you all and 'black face' was directed towards us therefore it is us who should be angered at the act but the stereotypical 'African Queen' look I would agree is a bit much.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by TCD: 5:57am On Mar 04, 2011
You guys are still here crying? So funny. Sometimes I think these so-called "racist" stuffs are done to whip up a whole lot of publicity and watch you all scamper like chickens hyperventilating all over the place. You people never disappoint.

A white lady or man might just call you a monkey necessarily not because he thinks so, but because he knows it will hurt you and he wants to get at you, annoy you, incite you.

IMO, you are a monkey if you indeed go everywhere crying and lamenting about it.
Re: Fallout: Beyonce Under Fire For Blackface Photos. by Jenifa1: 7:12am On Mar 04, 2011
MzD@rkSkin:

Let me inform u that the racist "black face" stage performances of the early 20th century in which whites would
put on black face paint, paint their lips pink with a false gap in their teeth and put on "nappy wigs" making fun of blacks and living up to stereotypes
(such as being the 'dumb character' who cheeses/grins all of the time while being the butt of all jokes. These 'stage negroes' would speak horrible English and eat watermelon) was directed to and made fun of black Americans. We blacks of the United States/Caribbean were targeted without Africans in mind as sorry to say Africans were not viewed as being 'part of the struggle' therefore not considered a target. Altho we are of African descent, our struggles were/are different from you all and 'black face' was directed towards us therefore it is us who should be angered at the act but the stereotypical 'African Queen' look I would agree is a bit much.

ok be angry then. undecided
I guess beyonce is targeting you for ridicule. how racist of her.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kemi Olunloyo Praises Olajumoke's Ability To Speak Fluent English / Asa Set To Release New Album After Five-year Break / Fans Slam Mr Eazi After He Claimed To "Be A Blessing To Others"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 219
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.