Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,987 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? (37957 Views)

Banks Have Stopped Giving Dollars. What is Your Experience? / Sunti Sugar To Retain All 2,400 Staff Despite COVID-19 Challenges / How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:23pm On Sep 11, 2020
BRATISLAVA:

Is the gratuity separate from the pensions?

Who pays the gratuity?

Some people say that the first lump sum payment is the gratuity, from the pension managers, before they begin to pay monthly pensions. Educate us more, Emmanuel. I hope your posts will be read by viewers.

Gratuity is paid by the employer.

The employee contributes 7.5% of his monthly income to his retirement savings account, the employer another 7.5% to 10% every month. Making a total of between 15% to 17.5%.

So if you are given 25% of your pension contribution, it can also be called gratuity depending on the organization's policy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by BRATISLAVA: 3:55pm On Sep 11, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Gratuity is paid by the employer.

The employee contributes 7.5% of his monthly income to his retirement savings account, the employer another 7.5% to 10% every month. Making a total of between 15% to 17.5%.

So if you are given 25% of your pension contribution, it can also be called gratuity depending on the organization's policy.

This means that every pensioner has been paid their gratuity.

Nice info. Thanks a lot.

If you could create an educative thread on this, it would be good. You mentioned me going to High Court... The staff there are rude, old and unforgiving, screaming and petulant. One cannot ask them questions and they will give answers. They always withhold one thing, until you are in their net and they can use it against you.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:25pm On Sep 11, 2020
BRATISLAVA:

This means that every pensioner has been paid their gratuity.

Nice info. Thanks a lot.

If you could create an educative thread on this, it would be good. You mentioned me going to High Court... The staff there are rude, old and unforgiving, screaming and petulant. One cannot ask them questions and they will give answers. They always withhold one thing, until you are in their net and they can use it against you.

Depending on the Organization's policy.

As per court, you can deal with a lawyer who has experience in probate and estate related matters

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by earnit3: 6:16pm On Sep 11, 2020
That’s if they even give you a dime
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Carinaflo(f): 6:32pm On Sep 11, 2020
BabaOwen:
No, they don't.

Write about it to the CBN, so far the deceased no owe dem any money.
Yes they do. And the Money would be credited to the government
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Carinaflo(f): 6:35pm On Sep 11, 2020
bolaayenimo:
Nigerian banks are thieves. So if N1b was left in the account, they will received 10 per cent of it. For what?
Not Nigerian banks but Nigerian Government. The money goes to the Government
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Lawlan: 7:00pm On Sep 11, 2020
peacenaija:
Dear Nairalanders,

Trust we all keeping safe.

I really need clarification from bankers and experienced persons in the house. A friend of my lost her father recently and they have started receiving their father’s entitlement which was paid into the account domiciled with a Nigerian bank operated by the deceased.

However, my friend’s mum lost their dad’s ATM, so they reported to the bank with the death certificate and requested for a new ATM or the money moved to another account but the bank is now asking for a letter of Administration and they will take 10% of the money left in the deceased account.

My grouse is not the letter of administration but the 10% they are asking on another person’s entitlement. Is there any law backing this? How can we go about it because the money is a substantial amount?

I'd appreciate your advice and clarifications. Thanks
Nigerian banks are selfish and they are thieves milking everybody's accounts everyday. Anyways I am a financial consultant helping bank customers to sort their financial issues with their respective banks. Write a letter to the CBN have it sent to their office in Abuja by courier services if you are not living in Abuja, stating your issues to them. Make sure you include "the account no, name of account and the bank in question" as part of your subject. they wil definitely help you out....if you need further assistance kindly inbox me.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by jafsumar07: 8:15pm On Sep 11, 2020
bolaayenimo:
Nigerian banks are thieves. So if N1b was left in the account, they will received 10 per cent of it. For what?

Make sure you have knowledge before commenting on any topic, so you don't inadvertently mislead others.

Banks retain no percentage on a deceased customer account.

The heirs are expected to obtain a Letter of Administration from a probate registry, then serve the Bank. They are entitled to everything in the account, as long as he isn't indebted to the Bank.

Thank you.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Kingnelson9: 9:29pm On Sep 12, 2020
franugo:

Lol...ignorance is bliss indeed. That 10% ain't coming down for anything oga as its not bank's money but state's own
laws are made for man, not man for laws.
stop being a slave my dear.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by U1(m): 9:59pm On Sep 12, 2020
seniormallam:
Very true, going to the state government pox,
Baba just thank God, some stingy father's won't even let you know they have account with such money then they'll now die suddenly, it's either one bank staff move the money or after 10years the money get moved to CBN.
Some men are stupid sha, how can you decide to dash government your life savings instead of disclosing your accounts to your wife or child even if they don't know the balance at least they have the number

This post would have made perfect sense but for the focus on men only.

Na only men get money for bank? How about women who work and keep all their money leaving it to the husband to singly fend for the family?
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by franugo(m): 2:08am On Sep 13, 2020
Kingnelson9:
laws are made for man, not man for laws.
stop being a slave my dear.

Slave Ke??what concerns slavery here? The truth remains that no bank will reduce that 10% without an instruction from the court to do so
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Kingnelson9: 7:10am On Sep 13, 2020
franugo:

Slave Ke??what concerns slavery here? The truth remains that no bank will reduce that 10% without an instruction from the court to do so
now u knw what court can do ? i sugestd sueing the bank if meeting the manager is nt fruitful and u called it ignorance,next time read comments with deep meanings b4 replyin negatively:happy sunday
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by franugo(m): 10:41am On Sep 13, 2020
Kingnelson9:
now u knw what court can do ? i sugestd sueing the bank if meeting the manager is nt fruitful and u called it ignorance,next time read comments with deep meanings b4 replyin negatively:happy sunday

Oga what are you suing the bank for na D bank did not set the percentage, the govt did. Why will you sue the bank for something they have no control over? What will suing them achieve ??
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Nobody: 2:35am On Sep 16, 2020
saseremichael:
Hurray!!!
Nigeria is 60 Years old!
Celebrate the Diamond Jubilee with us!
Happy Independence Anniversary in advance.
www.instagram.com/vohnigeria

You are an idiot
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by lele007: 9:00am On Apr 02, 2021
psalmistkakah:
We just got letter of administration from a court within one month and we paid #25000, nothing like 10% to be paid either now or later..about presenting the remaining papers to the bank for final processing.

Was this Lagos state? and did that ₦25000 include your lawyers fees?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Do I Retrieve Money I Borrowed My Crush? / CHYMALL: The New Retail Business of making $120 daily from home / Kano Currency Exchange Market In 1964

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.