Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,382 members, 7,819,391 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? (38029 Views)

Banks Have Stopped Giving Dollars. What is Your Experience? / Sunti Sugar To Retain All 2,400 Staff Despite COVID-19 Challenges / How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:18am On Sep 11, 2020
BRATISLAVA:

The people who want to go astray will not listen to you. They will have stories of the UK collecting 90%, and convince Nigerians to part with 10%. You should have allowed them to wallow in their ignorance.

On this thread it has become obvious that many Nigerians who comment on this forum are ignorant story peddlers. They know nothing.

You are expected to pay 10% as tax to the government from the assets of a deceased person.

Rich people are smart by transferring their assets to a Trust or using incorporation as part of their Estate Planning strategies.

Talk to First Trustees, United Capital Trustees, Stanbic IBTC Trustees to workout a workable plan for your assets and Estate
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by franugo(m): 7:28am On Sep 11, 2020
psalmistkakah:

On reaching there, they did not tell us anything like estate value, they only tell us that we are paying #25000 for the LOAs and they ask for for letter of introduction we collected from my dad employee, the original one...in that same #25000 They paid for newspaper publication...within a month it was ready no stress at all...may be it depend on the state..

Maybe....it'd be very nice if all is dt stress free

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by equity1(m): 7:29am On Sep 11, 2020
peacenaija:
Dear Nairalanders,

Trust we all keeping safe.

I really need clarification from bankers and experienced persons in the house. A friend of my lost her father recently and they have started receiving their father’s entitlement which was paid into the account domiciled with a Nigerian bank operated by the deceased.

However, my friend’s mum lost their dad’s ATM, so they reported to the bank with the death certificate and requested for a new ATM or the money moved to another account but the bank is now asking for a letter of Administration and they will take 10% of the money left in the deceased account.

My grouse is not the letter of administration but the 10% they are asking on another person’s entitlement. Is there any law backing this? How can we go about it because the money is a substantial amount?

I'd appreciate your advice and clarifications. Thanks
The money is paid to government not the bank. To avoid a situation like this, always make your spouse a signatory to your account with mandate, either to sign. it's when you're processing letter of administration that the money will be paid.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by BRATISLAVA: 7:33am On Sep 11, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

You are expected to pay 10% as tax to the government from the assets of a deceased person.

Rich people are smart by transferring their assets to a Trust or using incorporation as part of their Estate Planning strategies.

Talk to First Trustees, United Capital Trustees, Stanbic IBTC Trustees to workout a workable plan for your assets and Estate

10% is paid when? On which class of assets? By what means?
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by psalmistkakah(m): 7:36am On Sep 11, 2020
ajbf:

You will still pay it.

Many people are talking from the point of ignorance on this platform and they are not ready to learn.
OK..am not doubting u....but I have first hand info on people that collected their late dad entitlement and they told me nothing of such...I do not understand if is not applicable to late uniform personnel whether retired or still in service before dead.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 11, 2020
onyechez:

Who told you? Lol, it is a legal process in court, it enacted by the federal government, not only 10% but also 10% of your land property belongs to the federal government , you better wise up, most people in nairaland are ignorant of many things. This is what I told someone last month on nairaland.
Nah wah o, I never knew about this o, and am sure most people don't too.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by rtmjohn: 8:01am On Sep 11, 2020
Tweet the bank and put CBN in copy
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:03am On Sep 11, 2020
BRATISLAVA:

10% is paid when? On which class of assets? By what means?

If it is cash asset, it will be deducted at source.

If it is the valuation of assets like houses, shares etc valued at N20 million the family is expected to get N2 million that will be paid to the state government upfront
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 11, 2020
krisbweezy91:

[s]Do you people know that most of the complaints about charges, that you guys report to CBN actually originates from CBN/the government??

You guys need to stop pretending or having a false assumption about being 'woke' and actually strive to be enlightened. I see a lot of comments under threads like this and shake my head in disbelief.

Nigerians are overly ignorant about the things that affect them and it's terribly sad. That's why they keep channeling their grievances wrongly.[/s]

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:23am On Sep 11, 2020
psalmistkakah:

OK..am not doubting u....but I have first hand info on people that collected their late dad entitlement and they told me nothing of such...I do not understand if is not applicable to late uniform personnel whether retired or still in service before dead.

Entitlements like pension contributions and gratuities are not subjected to the tax
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by psalmistkakah(m): 8:31am On Sep 11, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Entitlements like pension contributions and gratuities are not subjected to the tax
OK..is clear now...so OP be ready to pay 10%..thanks for clarification..have a 1daful weekend..
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Mftivi: 8:53am On Sep 11, 2020
WoundedLamb:

They retained more than that when you died?

These banks could be terrible sometimes.
huh
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by real777(m): 9:17am On Sep 11, 2020
This is what usually happens when you decide to always lIve a life of secrecy thinking you are smart. I have always told myself that instead of allowing Nigeria stupid and greedy beastly politicians to eat my sweat in death, let my family members or children or charity eat it. There's a level you get to in life in terms of wealth, spirituality and age and you know when death is calling. Don't give me that crap of you cannot trust the children or wife of nowadays. In that case you should check your own life.

By the way, myself and my siblings knows my mum's atm pin even though the funds there can't pay any of our bills but the lesson here is what I want you to take home...
Some friends have trusted me with their millions and I transfer same to them without coveting after another man's money.

For the topic, the 10% goes to your government.

Last last na one yeye banker or politician go shop that your money when you dey hide.

Can't type much less I can write 1000 words on this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by ogbonnachrys: 9:38am On Sep 11, 2020
The 10% belongs to government not the bank. And if the deceased is a government worker and received salary after death, that salary goes back to government as well.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by sanni4susx(m): 9:53am On Sep 11, 2020
BabaOwen:
No, they don't.

Write about it to the CBN, so far the deceased no owe dem any money.

nija n her her palaba
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by ppogba: 10:20am On Sep 11, 2020
Ijaya123:

Little wonder they spend all their time watching BBNaija and even donate money to evicted housemates for the reasons I still don’t know.

Buhari was right after all, bunch of lazy youths.

I love your comment and that of the person you responded to..

If Nairaland were to be a yardstick for measuring the intelligence, preparedness for the future and all there is to measure of the Nigerian youth then, your assumption and conclusion is as good as mine.

Just introduce a topic on the economy and you see it get to page 3 after 48hrs but introduce a topic that allows them to exhibit their tribal bias and pronto it gets to page 8 after just 2 hours.

All hope is not lost but just very dim and slim.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by alizma: 10:22am On Sep 11, 2020
Xisnin:

The 10% is for the state and not the bank.
You can't escape it unless you have the deceased ATM card or bank app pin.
In that case we need to revisit such law and it is through this kind of publicity that some of us get to know that such ridiculous law exist. Imagine paying 10% of 10m to govt to get letter of administration
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by babaztee: 10:33am On Sep 11, 2020
Government that cannot take care of her citizens, even palliatives in the heat of debilitating Corona pandemic, will now enjoy 10% of her dead citizens, this is ANATHEMA.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Gluton: 12:39pm On Sep 11, 2020
peacenaija:
Dear Nairalanders,

I really need clarification from bankers and experienced persons in the house. A friend of my lost her father recently and they have started receiving their father’s entitlement which was paid into the account domiciled with a Nigerian bank operated by the deceased.

However, my friend’s mum lost their dad’s ATM, so they reported to the bank with the death certificate and requested for a new ATM or the money moved to another account but the bank is now asking for a letter of Administration and they will take 10% of the money left in the deceased account.

My grouse is not the letter of administration but the 10% they are asking on another person’s entitlement. Is there any law backing this? How can we go about it because the money is a substantial amount?

No they don't.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by BRATISLAVA: 12:56pm On Sep 11, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

If it is cash asset, it will be deducted at source.

If it is the valuation of assets like houses, shares etc valued at N20 million the family is expected to get N2 million that will be paid to the state government upfront

I'm yet to see anyone this has happened to on the 11 September 2020. Did it happen that way 10 years ago?
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by BRATISLAVA: 12:58pm On Sep 11, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

What is the difference between pension and gratuity? You seem to know a lot on this. Kindly enlighten us all. This is the first time I'm seeing an educative thread go this far
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:17pm On Sep 11, 2020
BRATISLAVA:

What is the difference between pension and gratuity? You seem to know a lot on this. Kindly enlighten us all. This is the first time I'm seeing an educative thread go this far

Some organizations give pension and gratuities to the retiring workers.

You pension is your retirement savings managed by pension managers. When you retire, your can opt for annuity or programming withdrawal from your retirement savings account. This will be paid every month, till whenever.

Gratuity on the other hand is a lump sum given to the worker when retiring after spending 10 years, 20 years, 30 years or whichever is applicable.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:19pm On Sep 11, 2020
BRATISLAVA:

I'm yet to see anyone this has happened to on the 11 September 2020. Did it happen that way 10 years ago?

Go to the probate section of the nearest High Court to get informed.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by uvie66: 1:35pm On Sep 11, 2020
alizma:
Pls when things like this happen, do us a favour by calling the bank's name in capital letter so that everyone will know which bank in Nigeria to avoid. Intact calling the bank name will help solve your problem than you think.
The idea of keeping things in secret is one of the problems we have in this country. You are more of an accomplice than a victim by keeping the identity of an evil organisation or person in secrecy
Just imagine suffering to save 10m and death struck, some set of thieves will sit under the acc to claim 1m that they didn't work for. Tomorrow they will declare profit as if they are hard working to have make such profit.
Executive arm robbers
I concur, name and shame. At least we that are alive can avoid the Bank like a plague.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by uvie66: 1:48pm On Sep 11, 2020
Zamakas:
I am a staff in probate registrar high court and I ll like to clear the air . D 10% is for d state government not d bank and it's 10% in dis nation. It's to help generate revenue for the government. In Britain I heard it's 90% cos it's assume that the deceased's property is for the government alone.
I heard.... from which source. My friend there is a threshold for inheritance taxation, it only applies if the deceased estate is above £350k. Anything below that is tax-free.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by psucc(m): 2:00pm On Sep 11, 2020
psalmistkakah:

The problem is that you went through the official route.

In Nigeria, you can pay the officials N1,000 to rob government of N100,000.00 for you.

Thus, the bank is seeing you as "over Sabi". So they slam that % strategy.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by normaljenny(m): 2:00pm On Sep 11, 2020
peacenaija:
Dear Nairalanders,

I can refer you to a lawyer that will help you. He will advise you or possibly if you like he will assist you. He is good in that field and other lawyers brings such case to him as well. ochizuka2010@gmail.com
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by alizma: 2:06pm On Sep 11, 2020
uvie66:
I concur, name and shame. At least we that are alive can avoid the Bank like a plague.
Exactly and that will sink sense into their brain. Even if the policy is set by CBN, by the time people start avoiding some banks because of such policy, they will take the message back to CBN. We cannot reach CBN but they can
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by einsteine(m): 2:50pm On Sep 11, 2020
You guys keep blaming banks for government's issues. Like the clowns protesting against Access Bank for deducting Stamp Duty
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by einsteine(m): 2:51pm On Sep 11, 2020
alizma:

Exactly and that will sink sense into their brain. Even if the policy is set by CBN, by the time people start avoiding some banks because of such policy, they will take the message back to CBN. We cannot reach CBN but they can

All banks do it because the money goes to government not the banks
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by einsteine(m): 2:53pm On Sep 11, 2020
psalmistkakah:

This is not gratuity or pension but assets for people who died intestate.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by BRATISLAVA: 3:13pm On Sep 11, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Some organizations give pension and gratuities to the retiring workers.

You pension is your retirement savings managed by pension managers. When you retire, your can opt for annuity or programming withdrawal from your retirement savings account. This will be paid every month, till whenever.

Gratuity on the other hand is a lump sum given to the worker when retiring after spending 10 years, 20 years, 30 years or whichever is applicable.

Is the gratuity separate from the pensions?

Who pays the gratuity?

Some people say that the first lump sum payment is the gratuity, from the pension managers, before they begin to pay monthly pensions. Educate us more, Emmanuel. I hope your posts will be read by viewers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Are People Using Old Naira Notes In Your Area? / The Best Insurance Company In Nigeria / Marvis Marshal-Idio Wins Heritage Bank's Next Titan, Gets N5m/Car (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.