Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,550 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports (24728 Views)

Buhari Orders Dodan Barracks To Surrender Obalende Eid Prayer Ground To Lagos / Awara Biokpomabo: INEC Has No Right To Halt My Victory / Buhari Orders IGP Not To Invite Adeleke Before Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by michazy(m): 10:43pm On Sep 10, 2020
He prefers it comes from China, rather than CBN.
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Nobody: 10:58pm On Sep 10, 2020
Organs:

@Dr Goodman, Excellent points. However, learn to walk first before trying to run. We cannot be talking mechanized farming at this point. We don't have the enabling environments, infrastructure, preservation, logistics, skilled manpower etc to support it. Ban importation, that will support local production and drive up the cost of food production, that will in turn drive more people into Agriculture like it's currently happening, (i have three classmates that are big time farmers and employers of labor as well). Just like Sanusi said, you want to have overhead bridges in Kano, for what? for farmers to take their produce from the farm to the city? We do not need to copy America, UK, etc, and start large scale mechanized farming which has lots of disadvantages like overproduction, genetically assisted growing, obesity, etc. Dont get me wrong, i am not saying go to farm with hoe and cutlass or have the continuation of Transhumance, Nope, but again, not large scale mechanized farming. I am talking about taking the middle lane because that is where we are realistically speaking.

Brilliant explanation! Kudos bro.

Rome wasn't built in a day.. We need to start the hard way.. like China, India, Turkey, Singapore, Malaysia, etc.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Rosskii: 11:27pm On Sep 10, 2020
tony0806:

Can our farmers produce 40% of the general food consumption of the whole nation apart from tomatoes from Benue state?

THEN GO INTO FARMING. THAT IS YOUR JOB AS A NIGERIAN, NOT TO AWAIT IMPORTS FROM CHINA.
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Obyino: 11:39pm On Sep 10, 2020
vision 2050
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by passiveincome01: 11:47pm On Sep 10, 2020
hmmm
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by tweakdude1: 12:09am On Sep 11, 2020
So something good can come out of APC grin grin grin

Nigeria has lots of man power so we can do it and start exporting. Everything no be white collar job and big English grammars.
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by alexpeteronoja: 12:12am On Sep 11, 2020
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Mathantics: 12:43am On Sep 11, 2020
Lakeshizu:
Good.... He needs to protect the farmers.
Imagine giving forex for corn produced in Benin republic

Which farmers

The ones that always victims of his kinsmen?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Wasky101: 1:12am On Sep 11, 2020
DrGoodman:
"The most effective way to make a country obey every order like zombies is to impoverish them, it worked like magic here in the north with the treatment of the almajirin children" - Alhaji Yahaya Sully, 2018
As opposed to what? Give money to importers to bring in things we can produce locally?
Whoever said You cant please all of the people sabi wetin him dey talk.
Still sitting here wondering what u would want him to do different, dont forget that when there is a demand people will supply.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by DexterousOne(m): 1:22am On Sep 11, 2020
CBN governor being ordered by the president
No one sees the abnormality in this

Una well done
Nigeria further sliding down the abyss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Oyecool: 3:40am On Sep 11, 2020
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by DrGoodman: 4:25am On Sep 11, 2020
Organs:

@Dr Goodman, Excellent points. However, learn to walk first before trying to run. We cannot be talking mechanized farming at this point. We don't have the enabling environments, infrastructure, preservation, logistics, skilled manpower etc to support it. Ban importation, that will support local production and drive up the cost of food production, that will in turn drive more people into Agriculture like it's currently happening, (i have three classmates that are big time farmers and employers of labor as well). Just like Sanusi said, you want to have overhead bridges in Kano, for what? for farmers to take their produce from the farm to the city? We do not need to copy America, UK, etc, and start large scale mechanized farming which has lots of disadvantages like overproduction, genetically assisted growing, obesity, etc. Dont get me wrong, i am not saying go to farm with hoe and cutlass or have the continuation of Transhumance, Nope, but again, not large scale mechanized farming. I am talking about taking the middle lane because that is where we are realistically speaking.

That is why I said the policy is meant to impoverish the people and you didn't understand. grin
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by ThatFairGuy1: 5:16am On Sep 11, 2020
"A NATION THAT CANT FEED ITSELF WILL ALWAYS REMAIN SUBSERVIENT TO OTHERS"

Let us all invest in Agriculture, we should be able to produce over 70% what we eats. This is how Nigeria of early Independence was.
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by malakaimoscondo: 5:50am On Sep 11, 2020
pretydiva:

You must be silly.
u not me
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by PS712: 6:06am On Sep 11, 2020
Lakeshizu:
Oga, are you sure your statement is critically assessed?
Does Nigeria produce/provide enough fertilizers? Is it not even imported and bagged here, when the refineries that produce the constituents are not working against a campaign promise made in 2014 of resuscitating them and even building one each four next four years if voted in? You now can imagine the drastic drop in fertilizer availability and it's impact on food production hence spiking prices and more hunger.
Secondly, we import some other products we eat and not produce, like some varieties of fishes, so even to eat sardine or mackerel now is luxury one must pay heavily? Even if you posit that we produce fishes here I can tell you it's just two major types - catfish and tilapia. One can still find fresh mackerel of N350 and buy but you can never find fresh catfish at that amount let alone fresh tilapia.
Finally, are you aware that bandits,kidnappers, herdsmen militias and terrorists have disrupted farming in Niger, Benue, Nasarawa, Kaduna, katsina, Zamfara, Sokoto, Plateau and are threatening same in Delta, Edo and in sparse places in east? Even the southwest is not left out hence the introduction of Amotekun which you know the disposition of the FG towards.
What Nigeria needs most at this moment is security of lives and property and to a large extent an all inclusive government that carries at least every entity along so that, that sense of belonging will propel everyone to contribute to nation building.
PS: Your view would have been apt if those farmers were supported enough to produce or in fact given conducive atmosphere to produce, alas, it is otherwise- only a little percentage can confidently go to farms now because of fear, and a lot have been killed or displaced!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Enice(m): 7:10am On Sep 11, 2020
Kenn55:

Do you have a farm? Do you know the problem of farmers?
This would have been a good policy if the first things were done. What are those things?
1. Keep herdsmen in ranches. Do you know the amount of crops and lives of farmers that have been lost to herdsmen? I know some farmers who have quit farming because they can't continue to risk their lives and suffering loses going to farm. The number of Farmers are reducing instead of increasing
2. Support large scale mechanized farming. Majority of farming in Nigeria is still at the subsistence level. We need an agricultural policy and road map that turns agriculture into an enterprise covering the entire value chain
3. Ensure the country is self sufficient on food production. Right now, Nigeria is not self sufficient in food production as a result of the first 2 above.

What will this policy do?
Most food importers will no longer import. Since Nigeria is not yet self sufficient Food prices will skyrocket. Why? Demand will outstrip supply.

The govt is betting on people being forced to farm. However, you can't force people to go into farming when it is dangerous out there. The simplest thing the govt would have done is to ban herdsmen from roaming around and make farmers feel safe. They are not willing to do that due to their own selfish agenda and they think they can force farmers to farm. In fact the govt is not serious at all. At the end, the poor suffers.

ulter trash. most likely, you are a very poor man because you seem like someone who would be afraid to take risk. Risk takers are money makers. Here is a policy that would make you rich but all you see are problems. Shame.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Nobody: 7:17am On Sep 11, 2020
not a bad policy, can't be wasting forex importing what we can grow locally.
Time to eat local rice and village chicken.
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by jrusky(m): 7:24am On Sep 11, 2020
Jonegonu:
. My brother because of the ban in the importation of frozen chicken into the country I am a proud owner of my own farm. I encourage you to start one and stop complaining.

Complaining? Bro do I complained I guess you are responding to a wrong post.

I'm just concern aboout the plight of the poor masses and making such decision at this time is very irrational, lack senses and pure ineffective way to run govt.

Moreso I that you are talking I don't really care what Buhari did because its not stopping me from anything I got my businesses but would it sound proper to say because I can afford whatever I want and forget about millions who can not Far from it its an act of wickedness ok.

So change your thinking think about others that make you a better citizen.
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Mayeldah(m): 8:33am On Sep 11, 2020
Lakeshizu:

This is out of place for now considering that we are not producing enough to meet our food needs. The Fulani herdsmen crisis and Boo Haram rampage is making a lot of farmers stay out of farms for fear of being killed. Also, the recent flooding that affected farmers in Kebbi and other Northern states has reduced our ability to meet up with the food needs of the nation.

The President should put all these into consideration before giving this order. Las Las all of us will suffer it.

Don't worry by Christmas period a bag of rice will sell for N45,000 per bag. The sellers don't sell to APC supporters at a cheaper price, I hope you know that?
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Willie2015: 9:15am On Sep 11, 2020
Lakeshizu:

Another stupid policy from PMB...
Our food produce are not competitive....
There/4, imports is cheaper than what our local farmers can offer us ...
You protect farmers by making farmers inputs cheap...
At the end of the day....
Cost of production for farmers is extremely low...
While imports are expensive...
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Germi9: 9:16am On Sep 11, 2020
Guyman02:
Even when rice farmers in the North who got billions from CBN under the Anchor Borrowers Scheme have informed Nigerians that flood has washed away their plantations which means they can't meet up the rice sufficiency plan this year.
E be like say na one chance we enter so, the refineries are not operational to locally produce raw materials for fertilizers in the required quantity.
But then necessity is the mother of invention, everyone should start thinking out of the box on alternatives
easy access to loans in the North, meanwhile the South ao blessed with natural irrigation dont get,how can such an economic grow when there is no equal right.. prioritizing the wrong things over the right ones

1 Like

Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Nwaide01: 10:07am On Sep 11, 2020
This is what this government ought to have been done long time ago instead of their outright ban.
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Kenn55: 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2020
Enice:
ulter trash. most likely, you are a very poor man because you seem like someone who would be afraid to take risk. Risk takers are money makers. Here is a policy that would make you rich but all you see are problems. Shame.
k
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by amakadlite(f): 5:13pm On Sep 11, 2020
operation tyting your belt. btw, is this another indirect population control policy? smh
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 11, 2020
I heard overhead one lady complaining loudly to her friend, Nne they said a bag of foreign is N35,000.

Her friend asked her, what of local nah , she said N26,000.

This is the summary of Next Level.

So by December 2020, a bag of rice should be N50,000 tentatively.
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Blackdeewhy(m): 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2020
but this SENSELESS MAN can order for grains to be imported I don't know how, but this country might not survive for long.
Re: Buhari Orders Central Bank To Halt Payment For Food And Fertilizer Imports by Negotiate: 11:21pm On Sep 11, 2020
Mopolchi:
Explain further this your perceived good move.

He is trying to block an illegal dollar collection route.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos State Removes All Illegal Shops Around Mandilas Building / ‘Believe Nigeria Trust Goodluck’ Dumps Jonathan For Buhari / Anambra Lawyers Blast Nnamdi Kanu, Blame Him Over Ekwulobia Crises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.