Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,263 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

I Am At A Cross Road, I Need Directions - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am At A Cross Road, I Need Directions (186 Views)

Obstacle A Police Officer Must Cross Before Qualifying As Mobile Police Officer / I Am At A Cross Road With A Big FMCG And With An NGO / Help! I'm In A Career Cross Road And Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am At A Cross Road, I Need Directions by Inadilema: 7:28am On Sep 11, 2020
I am a regular member of this platform but needed to open a new monitor to table out this issue and get advise.

I resumed at a new generational bank over four years ago as an ET. I was posted into the marketing division. For four years now, I have been on the same level without any promotion and still working in that marketing unit.

Recently, I went on Maternity leave and resumed back and have been having the urge to leave the job. I am dissatisfied with my inability to get promoted. I am also tired of the job, what we majorly do is just to open account and get deposits.

Now the issue, is this over the four years,I have become a chartered accountant , a chartered banker and a certified business accountant by CIMA. With all this qualifications, I have tried to get another job to no avail.
Of late I got an offer for another Bank, but I don't want to go and start the same madness again. I am emotionally drained by the Job.
My husband is a doctor and writing his PLAB exams, for us to relocate.

I am also working on the Canadian express entry as the primary applicant. We are expecting ITA soon.

The issue now is, I am so tired of the job that I just go there now to pass time. I am still young, less than 27 and I always feel like I am wasting my time.
Currently I am thinking of resigning my job and moving to another state and start the sport betting business pending when our relocation plans works out. I am thinking about the sport betting business because, I have some of my customers that are into the business and I know how profitable it is.

Please I need advice because I am in a fix.

cc lalasticala, mynd please help move to front page.

1 Like

Re: I Am At A Cross Road, I Need Directions by flyingpig: 7:39am On Sep 11, 2020
One thing with jobs is, sometimes you become dissatisfied and bored at your job and it will bring you great distress and turbidity. At that point you'll want to go away to another career if you can't get a promotion.

1. Have you discussed or interacted with your boss to find out why you've not gotten promotions ? Maybe it is something that is fixable, especially with lobby.

2. What is your husband's input on your career switch to sport betting. I understand it is your life and career and future, but you both are a pair now and decisions shouldn't be entirely a sole affair. The final decision may be yours but it is wise to give him that respect since you both are partners.

3. Why don't you try starting up the sports bet business while still banking. So that you can observe how satisfactory it is, from a safe vantage point. Lest you quit your job for something that would become unrewarding, far away from your expectations. If you leave the sitting room to go to kitchen because of aroma you smelt there, the door to sitting room may be shut already if you try to go back there after finding nothing in the kitchen, and that the aroma was actually coming in through the kitchen window and particularly from your neighbou's kitchen. So my advice, try both simultaneously first. Don't leave one entirely for the other, without sampling.

Inadelima
Re: I Am At A Cross Road, I Need Directions by TheGiftedOne(m): 7:39am On Sep 11, 2020
Someone needs directions at a crossroads and the traffic wardens in the house are looking? Will you lots get to work ASAP?
Re: I Am At A Cross Road, I Need Directions by Inadilema: 7:45am On Sep 11, 2020
flyingpig:
One thing with jobs is, sometimes you become dissatisfied and bored at your job and it will bring you great distress and turbidity. At that point you'll want to go away to another career if you can't get a promotion.

1. Have you discussed or interacted with your boss to find out why you've not gotten promotions ? Maybe it is something that is fixable, especially with lobby.

2. What is your husband's input on your career switch to sport betting. I understand it is your life and career and future, but you both are a pair now and decisions shouldn't be entirely a sole affair. The final decision may be yours but it is wise to give him that respect since you both are partners.

3. Why don't you try starting up the sports bet business while still banking. So that you can observe how satisfactory it is, from a safe vantage point. Lest you quit your job for something that would become unrewarding, far away from your expectations. If you leave the sitting room to go to kitchen because of aroma you smelt there, the door to sitting room may be shut already if you try to go back there after finding nothing in the kitchen, and that the aroma was actually coming in through the kitchen window and particularly from your neighbou's kitchen. So my advice, try both simultaneously first. Don't leave one entirely for the other, without sampling.

Inadelima
Thank you so much. I have actually thought of starting something by the side but the stress of the job distracts me and I lose my mojo. I have tried but I discovered the unhappiness I face on the job is affecting all the other areas of my life .
As regards promotion, it solely performance based. I am in a new team that's nearly making profit so appraisals are bad year in year out and we are struggling
Re: I Am At A Cross Road, I Need Directions by rentAcock(m): 7:45am On Sep 11, 2020
If you and your husband flee to Canada, who do you expect will remain here to fix the country? First, I will advice you to withdraw your Canadian application immediately. if you are sure sport betting business is profitable, start building out that business slowly, you can channel your free time on weekends towards growing the business. Thirdly, update your resume, network with people and keep applying for a different job. Do not quit your current job until you have another one at hand.
Re: I Am At A Cross Road, I Need Directions by flyingpig: 8:14am On Sep 11, 2020
Inadilema:

Thank you so much. I have actually thought of starting something by the side but the stress of the job distracts me and I lose my mojo. I have tried but I discovered the unhappiness I face on the job is affecting all the other areas of my life .
As regards promotion, it solely performance based. I am in a new team that's nearly making profit so appraisals are bad year in year out and we are struggling
Please don't leave that banking job without attempting sport betting business as a side-kick. smiley No matter how stressful mixing the two jobs is going to be, I'm certain it is the wisest choice out there considering it affords you some "security". Also by so doing, I'm of the opinion there are aspects of the side-business that will make you either want to dis-continue it, or fall deeper in love with it. Please find a way to do some YOGA or early morning reflection and meditation therapies or lifestyles used to manage stress. They are all over google and will help you reduce the stress of combining both jobs. Besides the betting business doesn't need all of your presence as someone can stand over the counter all day, managing it for you. You just be the manager and oversee it, inspect it, I think. So i think it is something do-able, you just have to find your way around it with a good mindset. smiley
Re: I Am At A Cross Road, I Need Directions by flyingpig: 8:19am On Sep 11, 2020
rentAcock:
[s]If you and your husband flee to Canada, who do you expect will remain here to fix the country? First, I will advice you to withdraw your Canadian application immediately. if you are sure sport betting business is profitable[/s], start building out that business slowly, you can channel your free time on weekends towards growing the business. Thirdly, update your resume, network with people and keep applying for a different job. Do not quit your current job until you have another one at hand.
Bullshit! OP, please don't ever listen to this advice, if you file a rightful VISA process and follow due process, please leave Nigeria to Canada. To be honest it is akin to starting life afresh and acquiring "Canadian experience", so it will be difficult at first. But i give you two years working and practising in Canada and you'll absolutely love it. If you leave with your husband it is even better because he'll support you and Doctors I assume, earn a sizeable income there. It is also absolutely good for your kids future, better education, better society growing in, brighter future. Like I said, it won't be easy there in the first year but it'll worth it in the future. But I'll advice you to chill down now shah, worldwide the economy of most countries are still recovering from effects of the pandemic, will be difficult to find jobs if you relocate now. Think about relocating by this time next year..

Goodluck

Cc; inadilema

1 Like

Re: I Am At A Cross Road, I Need Directions by Inadilema: 9:09am On Sep 11, 2020
flyingpig:
Bullshit! OP, please don't ever listen to this advice, if you file a rightful VISA process and follow due process, please leave Nigeria to Canada. To be honest it is akin to starting life afresh and acquiring "Canadian experience", so it will be difficult at first. But i give you two years working and practising in Canada and you'll absolutely love it. If you leave with your husband it is even better because he'll support you and Doctors I assume, earn a sizeable income there. It is also absolutely good for your kids future, better education, better society growing in, brighter future. Like I said, it won't be easy there in the first year but it'll worth it in the future. But I'll advice you to chill down now shah, worldwide the economy of most countries are still recovering from effects of the pandemic, will be difficult to find jobs if you relocate now. Think about relocating by this time next year..

Goodluck

Cc; inadilema
Thank you so much. I think I will consider all that you have suggest and work towards it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Leadership Tips To Get Your Next Promotion Part 2 / Golden Opportunity To Advance Your Carrer And Edication / Pursue A Career In Data Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.