Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,275 members, 7,811,804 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud (6467 Views)

Buratai Arrests Soldiers Involved In Benue Killings, Hands Them Over To NHRC / Meet Hadi Sirika Katsina Billionaire Tipped To Be Nigeria's Minister Of Aviation / Interior Minister Abba Moro Accused Of Gun-running, Arms Smuggling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:15pm On Feb 25, 2011
fstranger3:

Is it safe to assume that, in your usual objective and candid self, you actually saw him stealing oil with buckets and also saw him escaping from Nigeria? Which route did he take exactly and how was he able to sneak back into the country without arousing suspicions?

And after he escaped from the Nigeria, the government, in her usual forgiving nature, chose to punish him be giving him license to operate more oil wells and to further punish him for his past offences, they decided to make member of a presidential advisory board on petroleum affairs.?

Am I understanding you right?

Please, there are limits to my credulousness. That he just so happens to leave after he is found to be involved in a crime by the government, instead of defending himself or turning himself in at some later point to defend his reputation, is reason enough to consider him not exactly clean.

And with regard to the government doing a volte-face, perhaps you haven't heard of Umaru Dikko?

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/30/the-world-s-greatest-spy-capers/the-dikko-affair-1984.html

That the Nigerian government suddenly stops caring and even starts liking the person they were previously against doesn't mean that someone is actually clean.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 25, 2011
buzugee:

bruv i think you need a lesson in 'comprehension'. the physicality of a product is relative. some are very physical and some are 'virtually physical' but they are both physical nonetheless. the fact that you can sell it and get cash for it. gerrittt ? geeezzzz

siince it seems to be so difficult for you to understand rudimentary english (maybe if i threw in some of the Ebonics you keep throwing around) , let me help you out with an article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software

Computer software, or just software, is a collection of computer programs and related data that provide the instructions telling a computer what to do and how to do it. We can also say software refers to one or more computer programs and data held in the storage of the computer for some purposes. In other words software is a set of programs, procedures, algorithms and its documentation. Program software performs the function of the program it implements, either by directly providing instructions to the computer hardware or by serving as input to another piece of software. The term was coined to contrast to the old term hardware (meaning physical devices). In contrast to hardware, software is intangible, meaning it "cannot be touched".[1] Software is also sometimes used in a more narrow sense, meaning application software only. Sometimes the term includes data that has not traditionally been associated with computers, such as film, tapes, and records.[2]
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by SEFAGO(m): 10:29pm On Feb 25, 2011
So can Google/Amazon and ebay be termed  as a companies with speculatory wealth?

My Mensa brain is serious confused

Software and E-commerce+Social sites are basically in the same category
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by EzeUche2(m): 10:31pm On Feb 25, 2011
SEFAGO:

So can Google/Amazon and ebay be termed  as a companies with speculatory wealth?

Now you know you are lying. grin
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by fstranger3(m): 10:34pm On Feb 25, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Please, there are limits to my credulousness. That he just so happens to leave after he is found to be involved in a crime by the government, instead of defending himself or turning himself in at some later point to defend his reputation, is reason enough to consider him not exactly clean.

And with regard to the government doing a volte-face, perhaps you haven't heard of Umaru Dikko?

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/30/the-world-s-greatest-spy-capers/the-dikko-affair-1984.html

That the Nigerian government suddenly stops caring and even starts liking the person they were previously against doesn't mean that someone is actually clean.

http://www.nigeriancuriosity.com/2008/04/nigerian-kase.html
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:51pm On Feb 25, 2011
fstranger3:

http://www.nigeriancuriosity.com/2008/04/nigerian-kase.html

That's all well and good, but how does it stack up against:

Mr. Lawal, a big player in the seamy and corruption-ridden world of Nigerian oil business, escaped from Nigeria several years ago amid a scandal that was going to see him prosecuted.

He began his effort at image rehabilitation when a few of his contacts got the U.S.-based Nigerian Lawyers Association to bestow a special award on him in New York City in 2007.

Saharareporters reported that Nigeria's Attorney General, Michael Andoakaa, whose office should be seeking Lawal's extradition, was on hand to lend official credibility to the fugitive's so-called "honor" by the NLA.

In 1999, Lawal was indicted and arraigned by Nigerian police authorities on charges of stealing an oil block belonging to the late Maiduguri-based businessman, Mai Deribe. The police charged Lawal and his staff before a Lagos High Court.

Shortly after the institution of the case, Lawal, who is highly connected, reportedly bribed both the then Inspector General of Police and the Attorney General of the Federation to intervene by 'killing' the case.

As the main suspect, Mr. Kase Lawal—who holds dual Nigerian and US citizenships—fled Nigeria, leaving behind his staff members led by one Mr. Osahon to face the consequences. A warrant of arrest was issued against Lawal while Osahon and others were lined up to face trial.

In a curious development, the then Attorney General quashed the case by claiming that only the office of the Attorney General of the federation was empowered to initiate prosecution against criminals.

The case became a subject of protracted litigation known as Osahon V. FGN (Federal Government of Nigeria). The case tested the power of the police and other security agencies to initiate criminal prosecution. After victories by Attorney General at the High Court and the Appellate Court, the Supreme Court in 2006 ruled that the police and other security agencies could initiate criminal proceedings without express permission from the AGF's office. The ruling effectively empowered the police to prosecute Lawal and co. for their crimes.

http://www.ocnus.net/artman2/publish/Africa_8/Texas_Oil_Man_The_Kase_Lawal_Fugitive_Scandal.shtml

and

Keyamo added, "In the decision of Osahon v FGN, it was specifically on the power of the police as contained in the Police Act. And that decision did not say the police can override the powers of the AGF. It only said the police can file a charge directly from a high court.

But it does not mean it can override the power of the AGF. The powers of the police over prosecution as stated in Osahon v FGN is still subject to the overriding power of the AGF over prosecution anytime.”

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/take/11824-yar-adua-clips-efcc-s-wings-now-reports-ag-s-office-2.html

So we know that

1) There was actually a case called Osahon v FGN
2) The connection between this Mr. Osahon and Kase Lawal has never been denied or asserted to be fake, not even by that source you posted.
2) The government of Nigeria can be bribed to do a volte-face or ignore transgressions
4) The fact that Kase Lawal visited Nigeria 70 times after 1999 proves he was never a "fugitive" as claimed by several sites and even the first link I posted above, but it doesn't prove that he was actually "clean" with regard to the Osahon case.

What is the most reasonable conclusion?  undecided

He just bribed the problem away.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by AndreUweh(m): 11:09pm On Feb 25, 2011
Well done posters. I feel happy the way this thread has gone so far without tribalism been displayed.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by fstranger3(m): 11:24pm On Feb 25, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

That's all well and good, but how does it stack up against:

http://www.ocnus.net/artman2/publish/Africa_8/Texas_Oil_Man_The_Kase_Lawal_Fugitive_Scandal.shtml

and

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/take/11824-yar-adua-clips-efcc-s-wings-now-reports-ag-s-office-2.html

So we know that

1) There was actually a case called Osahon v FGN

This is about Mr. Lawal, not Mr. Osahon. One is a Yoruba man, the other name sounds Edo to me. Two different people. Two different grown arse men. Two independent minded people. .

2) The connection between this Mr. Osahon and Kase Lawal has never been denied or asserted to be fake, not even by that source you posted.

And if I may ask, what is the connection? Should the American electorate have held Obama responsible for the actions and utterances of his former pastor? And, what about Bill Ayers, should Obama's actions be judged based on his association with the professor, rather than the strength of his own character?

2) The government of Nigeria can be bribed to do a volte-face or ignore transgressions

You dont have the details of the case. In every investigation, there is always the issue of capability. If you cant prove a hunch beyond reasonable doubt, it would be silly to go to court, dont you think so?

4) The fact that Kase Lawal visited Nigeria 70 times after 1999 proves he was never a "fugitive" as claimed by several sites and even the first link I posted above, but it doesn't prove that he was actually "clean" with regard to the Osahon case.

Let Mr. Osahon answer for himself and if there is a case for Mr. Kase Lawal, I am sure he'd be glad to answer to any query from the courts.

What is the most reasonable conclusion?  undecided

He just bribed the problem away.

If it was that easy, Tafa Balogun would not have spent a minute in prison, Bode George would still be the Aviation Minister, and Akingbola would not have eloped to Jand. Lets be objective here Mr. Physics.

PS: As for the allegation that he stole an Oil well, isnt that laughable to you? How do you actually steal an oil well? Please if you know how, let me know. Do you actually dig it from the ground, carry it on your head and then run with it? How is it done exactly?
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:33pm On Feb 25, 2011
lol, perhaps Mr. Osahon can answer how he "stole an oil block" and actually went to court for it. That was just simplistic journalistic phrasing. They obviously mean something like profiting from an oil block owned by a deceased person illegally. Osahon would not have gone to court if the original accusation had been that they had physically dug up and relocated an oil well with shovels. grin

As for the rest, I already said my credulousness has limits. The Osahon connection has never been denied and those who would be able to deny it (those with inside knowledge of the extent of the relationship between Mr. Osahon and Mr. Lawal) have never provided any denials.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by buzugee(m): 1:33am On Feb 26, 2011
oyb:

siince it seems to be so difficult for you to understand rudimentary english (maybe if i threw in some of the Ebonics you keep throwing around) , let me help you out with an article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software

had to go handle a lil sumtin sumtin. grin yeah back to ya mate, dude we are both adults. i dont have to spoonfeed you. you are a grown azzzzz man. do i have to break things down to the nitty gritty before you can comprehend ? angry i know some softwares are not physical. i know it cannot be touched (some can though. they come in CD ROMS) but the fact that it can be exchanged for cash means it has a value of some sort. nobody buys 'air' now do they ? what we have here is a case of 'virtual physicality'. now get that through ya thick coconut skull grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by buzugee(m): 1:35am On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

amazon sells books and stuffs, ebay sells books. these are actual wealths. google on the other hand is based on speculatory wealth. it is not a product, at least not yet.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by buzugee(m): 1:36am On Feb 26, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Well done posters. I feel happy the way this thread has gone so far without tribalism been displayed.
we are nigerians first, or at least i am grin cant speak for that loquacious cretin fstranger grin
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by ekubear1: 3:30am On Feb 26, 2011
Most of Google's revenue comes from advertising. That is a legitimate business, I think.

I dunno, I think you can make that criticism about some of the new, more speculative web startups. But not an established player like Google.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by buzugee(m): 4:18am On Feb 26, 2011
eku_bear:

Most of Google's revenue comes from advertising. That is a legitimate business, I think.

I dunno, I think you can make that criticism about some of the new, more speculative web startups. But not an established player like Google.
a legitimate business with no product is sitting on a pack of cards. so far the cards have been holding up.then again their cost of operation will probably be minimal so i guess they are here to stay. all they need are servers, administrators and directors. streamlined operation. most of their staff are probably contract workers who cold call businesses for advertising space
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by SEFAGO(m): 4:29am On Feb 26, 2011
You are wrong . . .so worng about google.

They need a lot more than that especiallysoftware engineers
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by ekubear1: 4:30am On Feb 26, 2011
buzugee:

a legitimate business with no product is sitting on a pack of cards. so far the cards have been holding up.then again their cost of operation will probably be minimal so i guess they are here to stay. all they need are servers, administrators and directors. streamlined operation. most of their staff are probably contract workers who cold call businesses for advertising space

Yeah, you don't know very much about Google.

Anyway, advertising is a legitimate business. It is essentially the newspaper business model.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by aloyemeka1: 11:31am On Feb 26, 2011
Nairaland knows how to derail thread sha.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by hercules07: 1:08pm On Feb 26, 2011
The Microsoft guys were gangsters o, buying companies in order to kill their products, do people still remember foxpro? Superior product to Access and SQL Server deliberately killed by microsoft, what of the browser wars or Microsoft refusing to release codes for developers, they were all gangsters jare.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by buzugee(m): 3:46pm On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

You are wrong . . .so worng about google.

They need a lot more than that especiallysoftware engineers

learn to read between the lines. wink of course they need software engineers.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by buzugee(m): 3:48pm On Feb 26, 2011
eku_bear:

Yeah, you don't know very much about Google.

Anyway, advertising is a legitimate business. It is essentially the newspaper business model.
and what happened to all the newspapers when another mode of advertisement (internet) arrived ? they all packed up. all the big time newspapers in america have all packed up. kaput. finito. out of existence. obliterated. ganked. smashed.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by buzugee(m): 3:50pm On Feb 26, 2011
hercules07:

The Microsoft guys were gangsters o, buying companies in order to kill their products, do people still remember foxpro? Superior product to Access and SQL Server deliberately killed by microsoft, what of the browser wars or Microsoft refusing to release codes for developers, they were all gangsters jare.
thanks for your knowledge bruv. some of these guys here think getting a billion is something you do by being legitimate. its like trying to pass through the eye of a needle to acquire a billion legitimately
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Involved In Gold Smuggling Fraud by buzugee(m): 3:54pm On Feb 26, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Nairaland knows how to derail thread sha.
grin grin you ain lie mayne. a bunch of derailers and usurpers that need to be lashed ferociously with koboko grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality / Breaking: Army, Police Take Over River State / The Court Pictures: What I See In Nnamdi Kanu's Face

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.