Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,653 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali (11037 Views)

Osinbajo: Why Hardworking Deputies Run Into Problems / Osinbajo: Why Buhari Appointed Usman Alkali As Nigeria’s New Police Chief / 2023: "It's Time For Southeast To Produce President", Igbo Leaders Insist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by murecool(m): 10:34pm On Sep 17, 2020
As the Authority of Heads of State and Governments of the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS continue seeking solutions to the political crisis in Mali, its insistence on the restoration of a civil rule, even for the proposed transitional government, is the way to go and will be helpful for democracy and good governance in the sub-region, according to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN.

The Vice President stated this on Tuesday during an interview with journalists shortly after the Extraordinary Summit of ECOWAS in Accra, Ghana.

Prof. Osinbajo, representing President Muhammadu Buhari, joined other leaders in the sub-region at the meeting presided over by the new ECOWAS Chairman and President of Ghana, Nana Akufo-Addo.

Describing the over 5-hour meeting as very fruitful, the Vice President said, “I think the position of the Authority of Heads of State, (the highest organ of ECOWAS) is very clear, mainly that ECOWAS will not accept a change of government by force and that this will be completely unacceptable.

"For the purpose of what has happened in Mali, the transitional government must be headed by a civilian, and also the general principle that marks a transition period should be within a maximum of about 18 months.”

Speaking about the unanimity of the leaders’ position on the situation in Mali, Prof. Osinbajo said the consensus of ECOWAS leaders was important, especially on issues bothering on the progress of the sub-region.

He said “…there was consensus among all of the Heads of State, and I think it is helpful that the position of the Authority of Heads of State is speaking with one voice. And that ECOWAS is united on the most fundamental questions of democracy and good governance.”

The sub-regional body has been involved in peace talks with the key actors in the Mali political crisis which reached a peak with the overthrow of the civilian administration by officers from the country’s Armed Forces, who formed the Committee for the Salvation of the People (CNSP).

According to the communique issued after the meeting, “the objective of the meeting was to allow the leadership of the Committee for the Salvation of the People (CNSP) the opportunity to brief and present to Heads of State and Government the architecture and roadmap for the political transitional arrangement, in conformity with the decisions taken by the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government at its Extraordinary Summit via videoconference on 28th August, 2020 and its 57th Ordinary Summit on 7th September 2020, in Niamey, Republic of Niger. These decisions called for a 12-month civilian-led transition to be put in place by 15th September 2020.”

The communique added that at the end of the Extraordinary summit, the members of the CNSP, Heads of State and Government made the following decisions:

a. The political transition will be headed by a civilian, in accordance with the decisions of the Authority of ECOWAS. In this regard, both the President and Prime Minister of the transition will be civilians during the entire period. The nomination of these two key personalities will be done immediately.
b. The Transition Vice President provided for in the Transition Charter shall not, under any circumstances, replace the Transition President.
c. The CNSP will be dissolved immediately the civilian transition is put in place.
d. The Heads of State and Government took note that the length of the political transition will be 18months maximum with effect from the 15th of September 2020.
e. Once a civilian-led transition is put in place, ECOWAS will fully accompany the Republic of Mali towards the restoration of constitutional order, in line with the relevant protocols of ECOWAS;
f. With regards to sanctions, in line with the decisions of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government, such sanctions will be lifted immediately when the Transition President and the Prime Minister are effectively designated.

Asides from President Akufo-Addo, and Prof. Osinbajo, other leaders present at the meeting included Presidents of Senegal, Macky Sall; Ivory Coast, Mr. Alassane Ouattara; Togo, Mr Faure Gnassingbe; Faso, Mr. Roch-Marc Christian Kabore; Guinea, Prof. Alpha Conde; Niger, Mr Mahamadou Issoufou; ECOWAS Special Envoy and Mediator to Mali Crisis, Former Nigerian President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan; President of the ECOWAS Commission, Jean-Claude Kassi Brou; among other diplomats and senior officials.

The Heads of State and Government also expressed their gratitude to Dr. Goodluck Jonathan and encouraged him to continue his mediation efforts and accompany the civilian-led transition administration to ensure a swift return to constitutional order in Mali.

Laolu Akande
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Publicity
Office of the Vice President
16th September 2020
https://fmic.gov.ng/osinbajo-at-ecowas-summit-in-ghanawhy-west-african-leaders-insist-on-civil-rule-in-mali-uphold-democracy/

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by RapistOnBail: 5:14am On Sep 18, 2020
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!

Mama I made it to the top today. I know it’s Gods work in my life.

God bless you mom!

Shout out to all my haters on Nairaland and Facebook!

Shout out to the DPO ASP AS Abdallah for granting me bail. God bless you bro.

&

Special shout out to the 9-5 warriors trying to make a living with the very peanut being paid per month. Na God be una strength!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Nobody: 5:14am On Sep 18, 2020
Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by GeneralPula: 5:16am On Sep 18, 2020
Imagine this man and Donald Duke in Aso rock..

Naija go smell better..

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Moneywirer: 5:16am On Sep 18, 2020
Osinbajo is out there advocating for Civil rule in Mali but back home he is deputising a tyrant who has no respect whatsoever for the law.

34 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by LawLab247: 5:17am On Sep 18, 2020
Face your front jor cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Kennyking1234: 5:17am On Sep 18, 2020
G
Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Nobody: 5:18am On Sep 18, 2020
Asking for civil rule in Mali when your government here in Nigeria is basically a sharia police state!!!

The wickedness of these leaders, history will never be kind to these ones. They will forever be remembered as the Judas who destroyed what was once a hopeful youthful country into a dead and dry place

Judiciary has been destroyed.
Military is now a haven for terrorists and terrorist sympathizers
Our economy in shambles. Inflation and poverty on the rise daily
The executive made up of the most morally bankrupt and integrity deficient men ever to occupy the office

Shame shame shame on you

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by seguno2: 5:19am On Sep 18, 2020
GeneralPula:

Naija go smell better..

Smell better with plenty of lies, fake news and propaganda

13 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by helinues: 5:19am On Sep 18, 2020
But the Malians also don't trust the politicians most especially the opposition group in Mali

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by ForeThinker: 5:21am On Sep 18, 2020
When I had nothing to lose, I had everything. When I stopped being who I am, I found myself.

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by GeneralPula: 5:22am On Sep 18, 2020
seguno2:

Smell better with plenty of lies, fake news and propaganda

No, smell better a better country..
Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by lastpage: 5:24am On Sep 18, 2020
Dear Sir, V.P Osinbajo;

Democracy is not just for the "sake of Democracy", when it does not bring good dividends to the 'people', then it is no longer Democracy but a "Demonstration ofCraze".
Africa is replete with Criminal leaders who loot their citizens to the bone, all in the name of Democracy.
Most African leaders rig elections, are not responsible to the citizens, leave in opulence, way above their means while the citizens live on less thana Dollar-a-day, we cant call that democracy, can we?

These same African leaders then unleash terror of security forces on their citizens, whenever such citizens attempt to protest their ineptitude and corruption hence forcefully silencing them.
It is therefore not surprising that the citizens rejoice when a "stronger force", the armed millitary, turn against their "despotic, democratic dictators", in a military Coup.
The people dont want such leaders and are showing it by rejoicing wit hthose who assisted them to remove such leaders.

So, please know that you are not doing the will of the Pople (nor the will of God), if you and your Principal try to force such criminals of their citizens, ofcourse l dont expect "the Fly not to support the man with a sore", it is a matter of "self preservation". undecided

African leaders are NOT democratic though they get to power through some sham election and then become dicators and abusers of the same people they swore to serve.

Let the People of Mali decide what they want for themselves, STOP threatening them, less you lead the country into further chaos.
If there are fundamental changes that needs time to be made in mali, give the Coupist time to do so and set the country on a firm footing that will lead to true democracy, a democracy that is responsive to the yearnings of the people and not some priviledged elite.
A democracy does not inflict pains on the poor citizens while its leaders live in absolute opulence. If the people dont want these Coupist, they would drive them out of Power by themselves

Nigeria is another example of a failed democracy, just look at how poor and despondent the citizens have become, look at how security forces are used to harrass, lock-up and at times, snuff out the life of citizens, just for criticising the harsh policies of the govt that inflicts poverty, penury and pain on the people, while your dear, very self, your pricipal and many hangers-on, live larvishly.
You are highly respected and very loved, hence this my "open love letter" to you Sir. I know you are just a messenger and your hands are so tied, as a V.P, by the Nigerian Constitution which makes you serve at the pleasure of your Principal.

But Sir, please leave the 'Malians' alone and stop intimidating the Junta that flushed a corrupt leader out of office, Nigeria is worse than Mali and if you go on the streets, you will hear Nigerians praying and hoping for their own Jerry Rawlings.
I would have wished you a happy 60th Birthday of Nigeria but we both know that there is nothing happy or worth celebrating on October 1, 2020, except poverty, hunger and hopelessness among the masses, yourself and myself not inclusive ofcourse.

So, l will just say "Thank you Sir and God bless.
Your humble, ordinary Nigerian on the streets.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by lanre9ja(m): 5:26am On Sep 18, 2020
I love the way osibanjo headly thing outside ASO but only to come home and acted Mute

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by seguno2: 5:30am On Sep 18, 2020
lanre9ja:
I love the way osibanjo headly thing outside ASO but only to come home and acted Mute

He belongs to the 5%, and not to the 97%.

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Futuragetty: 5:33am On Sep 18, 2020
We do not live in a democracy, but Vice President, Yemi displays a dictator’s aversion to the truth. Indeed, his whole administration is built on a foundation of lies.

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:42am On Sep 18, 2020
For the purpose of what has happened in Mali, the transitional government must be headed by a civilian, and also the general principle that marks a transition period should be within a maximum of about 18 months.”
Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by vioment: 5:49am On Sep 18, 2020
VP was my man some years ago but he was overshadowed by docilness in leadership; no completed great initiative.

My current leader gov umahi, aka the leader of the wonder team, is doing big things there without noise making. He needs and will need improvement at the top, but my confidence in him is really high. If he can be more general in his actions than tribal, that would be even greater. He probably do already, but I am just impressed by his ways.

After our #1 buhari, we should try and elect from people of merit and not by audio alone. Umahi state arguably has the least money scandal in Naija; the guy is just too much in improving lives and environment without other greedy leaders help.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Zetty177x: 6:33am On Sep 18, 2020
angry

Oga Banjo, if u ask me military rule is better..are u guys better than the military? I beg run away old man .now ur Buhari want to scam us with recertification
Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by teamsynergy: 6:34am On Sep 18, 2020
But Ecowas is turning blind eyes to ivory coast president who is changing constitution to allow. Him do third term

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Tannhauser(m): 6:38am On Sep 18, 2020
embarassed
These people don't give a flying fv.ck about the average Malian. These so called political leaders have no empathy. If they did, it would be reflected in the way they treat their own citizens.

The only reason these bas.tards are in Mali to force a return to civil rule is because the cowards are scared for their own skins. tongue
They don't want the military in their own countries getting the same or similar ideas.

Leave Mali alone, the people welcomed the military with song and dance, is that not democratic enough? Who said a military led government cannot be democratic?

7 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Godsonkemz(m): 6:39am On Sep 18, 2020
Buhari will insist on military rule because he's a dictator

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by ReubenE(m): 6:39am On Sep 18, 2020
Shameless people

Is your democracy in Nigeria better than them?

If security forces don't inadvertently drop bomb on hapless citizens, they shoot them dead because of N100.

Shameless country that is known for the worst crimes on earth against her own citizens but go about advising others about democracy and good governance.
Apply the advise on your rotten country.

600 years is waiting for all these crooks

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Johntemmy(m): 6:48am On Sep 18, 2020
isokay
Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by favour32(m): 6:52am On Sep 18, 2020
GeneralPula:

Naija go smell better..
Imagine nai you call am... but reality...two Southerners cannot be President and Vice-president for 9ja.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Omoslim26: 6:58am On Sep 18, 2020
GeneralPula:

Naija go smell better..

Dat one na if the cartel no hijack am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali by Yus2020: 6:58am On Sep 18, 2020
when we have Apc military rule in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19: Governors, Deputies To Be Vaccinated On March 9th / Igbo Group Drums Support For Umahi's Presidential Bid (photos) / Anambra/enugu Meet Over Boundary Dispute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.