Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,821 members, 7,831,678 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please (1727 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen: Okorocha Appeals To Buhari To Intervene / Why Buhari Won’t Intervene In NASS Crisis – Aide / PDP Raises Alarm Over Fresh Plot To Remove Fayose; Begs Buhari To Intervene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Shock(m): 7:43pm On Feb 26, 2011
“This violence must stop.” So President Obama declared the other day about the depravity in Tripoli. This “must” is a strange mixture of stridency and passivity. It is the deontic locution familiar from the editorial pages of newspapers, where people who have no power to change the course of events demand that events change their course. This “must” denotes an order, or a permission, or an obligation, or a wish, or a will. It does not denote a plan. It includes no implication, no expectation, of action. It is the rhetoric of futility: this infection must stop, this blizzard must stop, this madness must stop. But this infection, this blizzard, this madness, like this violence, will not stop, because its logic is to grow. It will stop only if it is stopped. Must the murder of his own people by this madman stop, Mr. President? Then stop it.

There are various ways in which the horror can be brought to an end. Is a no-fly zone really too complicated to negotiate? Then let NATO planes fly over Tripoli to shoot down any Libyan aircraft that make war on the Libyan population.

Is the United States really prevented by its past from deploying the small number of troops that would be required to rescue Tripoli from Qaddafi’s bloody grip? Then let a multilateral expeditionary force be raised and a humanitarian intervention be launched to free Libya from its tyrant and then leave Libya to the Libyans. Europeans, Africans, even Egyptians may join the campaign. And impose sanctions; and freeze assets; and summon The Hague. There is no lack of proposals for acting against this monster out of Tacitus. But the president is not yet interested in action. His outrage seems to be satisfied by “consultations” with our “allies and partners,” and with the Human Rights Council in Geneva next Monday. Yes, next Monday: what’s the rush? The main point of Obama’s statement on Libya was that “the nations and peoples of the world speak with one voice,” and that “we join with the international community to speak with one voice.” He is calling for words! He actually said that “the whole world is watching,” that foul old slogan of the bystander.

Why is Obama so disinclined to use the power at his disposal? His diffidence about humanitarian emergencies is one of the most mystifying features of his presidency, and one of its salient characteristics. These crises—in Tehran two years ago, in Cairo last month, in Tripoli now—produce in him a lame sort of lawyerliness. He lists the relevant rights and principles and then turns to procedural questions, like those consultations. The official alibi for Obama’s patience with Qaddafi’s atrocity is his concern for the Americans who are still stranded within Qaddafi’s reach; I was amused to learn from a friend that the spin out of the White House includes the suggestion that Obama’s restraint is actually the wisdom of the hostage negotiator.

But Obama’s statement about Libya suggests another explanation for his slow pace. This was its climax: “So let me be clear. The change that is taking place across the region is being driven by the people of the region. This change doesn’t represent the work of the United States or any foreign power. It represents the aspirations of people who are seeking a better life.”

http://www.tnr.com/article/world/84191/obama-libya-intervention-qaddafi-iran-egypt
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by efisher(m): 10:52pm On Feb 26, 2011
Obama is being very tactical and I think he is right with that approach. The US has learnt very bitter lessons from Iraq and Afghanistan. Before they can embark on any superman or incrdible hawk rescue, they have to count the cost (long and short term). If they have to do anything, it should be by using diplomatic strategies not military action. They will be better off allowing the UN do the dirty job.

If you followed the Egypt rev closely, you will notice that the US had a huge influence on the overall process. But even without direct intervention, some Egyptians were already saying they do not need the Americans' help. Even if the Libyans beg the US to come to their aid today, when it's all over, they will turn against the US again. Right now, the US is being very careful because they do not want to be accused of having a hand in the turmoil plaguing the Arab world.

The US will allow the Arabs determine their own destiny. They will prefer that the people can take ownership of the overall process. The US will only come in (probably under UN with the support of other Arab nations) when they have no choice.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Kobojunkie: 11:01pm On Feb 26, 2011
@Poster, America should NOT intervene or interfere at all. Obama is doing the right thing by staying out of these issues and letting the people drive their own destiny. The US has been sent a clear message, over the decades, that it is not needed as big brother over all nations.

The people need to, after allowing their leaders all the power and worship accorded to them all these years/decades, decide on their own if, when and how they would like to get rid of the same leaders.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Police001: 11:19pm On Feb 26, 2011
I can't believe my eyes at the sorts of response coming from this page, so by inference we are saying while hundreds of kids and women are being murdered by their government for registering their legitimate demands, the rest of the world who has the necessary means to stop this killings should just fold their arms and watch?

Evil is now so prevalent in the world and our consciences silenced by its prevalence, people in Libya are humans too, anyone, any government, who can do anything to stop this killings should step in, posterity will have them to thank for it
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by ekubear1: 11:23pm On Feb 26, 2011
No, it should not. Often times things end up much worse when the US intervenes.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Police001: 11:23pm On Feb 26, 2011
The US will allow the Arabs determine their own destiny. They will prefer that the people can take ownership of the overall process. The US will only come in (probably under UN with the support of other Arab nations) when they have no choice.

When they have no choice?  when will that be?  you mean until there are only a few hundred Libyans left alive?  did you watch the deputy ambassador of Libya to the United Nations crying the last emergency meeting held?  common people, what happened to our conscience?
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Kobojunkie: 11:26pm On Feb 26, 2011
Police001:

I can't believe my eyes at the sorts of response coming from this page, so by inference we are saying while hundreds of kids and women are being murdered by their government for registering their legitimate demands, the rest of the world who has the necessary means to stop this killings should just fold their arms and watch?

Evil is now so prevalent in the world and our consciences silenced by its prevalence, people in Libya are humans too, anyone, any government, who can do anything to stop this killings should step in, posterity will have them to thank for it

Ogbeni, I am sure say you no get amnesia. You don forget all the many protests, especially in the middle east against american presence in the region, and the so-called american invasions? Sure there is evil in the world but it is clear that America is not needed to police the world. The people need to be left to make their own decisions and elect their leaders for themselves. All America can do is try to work with the people's choice at the end of the day.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by violent(m): 12:02am On Feb 27, 2011
^^

Well, i think it's a bit too early to rule out military intervention in this case, the US seem to have toughened their tone ever since the successful evacuation of American citizens. If China and Russia throws in support for military intervention, then it might be the way to go.

Although, it has been rightly said already, any actions from the US at this point will be seen as brash, peharps even what Ghadaffi is hoping for in order to draw sympathizers to his cause, this is the main reason why the US has refused to evacuate her citizens through a military aircraft!
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Kobojunkie: 12:09am On Feb 27, 2011
violent:

^^
Well, i think it's a bit too early to rule out military intervention in this case, the US seem to have toughened their tone ever since the successful evacuation of American citizens.   If China and Russia throws in support for military intervention, then it might be the way to go.

I am not ruling out military intervention, simply stating that the US should not intervene. If China and Russia decides to take the plunge, then I see no reason for the US to tag along since those two are more than capable of putting together a good team that does not need include the US, to get the job done.

The idea was that the US waited to make sure it had evacuated it's people before toughening up it's stance so as to prevent Ghaddafi from possibly taking the Americans as hostages in retaliation. Even now that the Americans are out, I still see no reason for America to get in there.  There are other countries that can as well do that job.

violent:

Although, it has been rightly said already, any actions from the US at this point will be seen as brash, peharps even what Ghadaffi is hoping for in order to draw sympathizers to his cause, this is the main reason why the US has refused to evacuate her citizens through a military aircraft!
I disagree as Obama does not want to get himself involved in more than we can currently handle. We have Afghanistan and Iraq still fresh on our minds, and we also have Iran right there everyday. Libya/Egypt/Tunisia/Bahrain/Yeme etc. is not America's problems and should not be. And so I support his approach so far.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by cap28: 12:30am On Feb 27, 2011
WAKE UP!!!! AMERICA COULDNT GIVE A F.U.CK ABOUT THE LIBYAN PEOPLE THEY ONLY WANT TO GO IN AND SEIZE CONTROL OF THE OIL WELLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any military intervention would be centrally directed toward securing the economically and strategically crucial Libyan oilfields. American, British, Italian, French and German oil conglomerates all have lucrative stakes in Libya’s high-quality oil reserves. The operation would be colonialist in character, marking the further extension of Washington’s efforts to use military force to maintain control over energy resources in the Middle East, North Africa and Central Asia, following the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The situation in Libya is threatening a major world oil price shock and a sharp downturn in the US economy[/b]. On Thursday, Obama underscored this concern when he addressed corporate executives assembled for the “President’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness.” Speaking of oil prices, he declared, “We actually think that we’ll be able to ride out the Libya situation and it will stabilise.” Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner sought to allay concerns by stressing the excess oil producing capacity of other OPEC member states.

I REPEAT THE WEST COULDNT GIVE TWO FU.CKS ABOUT THE LIBYAN PEOPLE THEY ONLY WANT THEIR OIL. 

GOING IN ON HUMANITARIAN GROUNDS IS A COVER AND A LIE:

The US and international media have thrown their weight behind the US and European governments’ humanitarian posturing, reviving the pretexts that were used as a cover for US-led interventions in the Balkans in the 1990s. On Thursday, the Financial Times recalled US President Ronald Reagan’s denunciation of Gaddafi in an editorial entitled “Time to Muzzle Libya’s Mad Dog.” The London-based publication demanded an immediate no-fly zone and the opening up of “humanitarian corridors” from Tunisia and Egypt.

The same theme was sounded by the New York Times in its editorial “Stopping Gaddafi.” Halting just short of openly demanding military intervention, the newspaper declared: “After Bosnia, Kosovo and Rwanda, the United States and its allies vowed that they would work harder to stop mass atrocities. One thing is not in doubt: The longer the world temporizes, the more people die.”

These statements are utterly cynical and hypocritical. Less than a decade after the New York Times played a central role in promoting the bogus “weapons of mass destruction” pretext for the US invasion of Iraq, it is propagandizing in support of another colonial intervention in yet another oil-rich country, Libya.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/feb2011/lead-f26.shtml
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Sunofgod(m): 1:24am On Feb 27, 2011
They should 'Nuke' thee whole of North Africa.
Put those people out of their misery.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Kobojunkie: 3:20am On Feb 27, 2011
wow! ;d ;d :d ;d :d
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by EzeUche2(m): 3:46am On Feb 27, 2011
Why should the U.S. get involved in Libya? The Arab people already hate Americans and the rest of the West. Yet, they continue to call for American support. I don't even understand this people. If Americans get involved, that will complain. If Americans do not get involve, they will continue to complain.

These people need to sort their own affairs.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by efisher(m): 6:21am On Feb 27, 2011
Police001:

@ Police, I think you have read posts here out of context. I hope you know that USA is not = UN!
Nobody says "the World" should not intervene. We are simply saying USA does not need to be in the fore front. The topic here is not whether the world should intervene.

Police001:

When they have no choice?  when will that be?  you mean until there are only a few hundred Libyans left alive?  did you watch the deputy ambassador of Libya to the United Nations crying the last emergency meeting held?  common people, what happened to our conscience? 
Do you think Arabs means Libyans only? Don’t you know there is a body called "Arab League"?.  Why can’t Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc intervene? What is the role of African Union? The UN is also there. Why do you insist that the USA must lead a military intervention?
The US and UN have already taken drastic diplomatic steps to deter the killings. I hope you know that if USA intervenes the way you want, there is a very high probability of the unrest spreading to the rest of the Middle East. What will you say then? That USA should also intervene in Saudi, UAE, Bahrain etc. What does that make USA? Sorry life does not work like that. Mr Obama and his team are doing the best they can. You should be pointing the fingers at Arab league, AU and UN.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by pleep(m): 7:29am On Feb 27, 2011
I hope you are Aware that the majority of Americans cannot even locate Libya on a map. The also simply don't care. People don't realize how apathetic Americans are. And as for the u.s government it only acts in it's intrests it is not a humanitariAn organization, if you researced all the evil the u.s gov has caused you would know this. America only uses words like humanitarian mission peacekeeping liberation and freedom when it has something to gain, Look at south Sudan there were no American instrests there so america didn't intervene
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Nobody: 8:00am On Feb 27, 2011
EzeUche_:

Why should the U.S. get involved in Libya? The Arab people already hate Americans and the rest of the West. Yet, they continue to call for American support. I don't even understand this people. If Americans get involved, that will complain. If Americans do not get involve, they will continue to complain.

These people need to sort their own affairs.
People are only being misguided thinking the US should respond to any crisis as ifit's the police of other states.The westphalia treaty granted all states svereignity and their own territorial integrity.
it allows for respect of states irrespective of military or economic might.therefore,it's not the responsibility of US to attack Libya for any reason whether on humanitarian ground or whatever .Any form of intervention should come from United Nations and of course,military intervention could only come last after diplomacy may have failed.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Kobojunkie: 10:20pm On Feb 27, 2011
pleep:

I hope you are Aware that the majority of Americans cannot even locate Libya on a map. The also simply don't care. People don't realize how apathetic Americans are. And as for the u.s government it only acts in it's intrests it is not a humanitariAn organization, if you researced all the evil the u.s gov has caused you would know this. America only uses words like humanitarian mission peacekeeping liberation and freedom when it has something to gain, Look at south Sudan there were no American instrests there so america didn't intervene

They also simply don't care? You mean the many other times America intervened, and people like you immediately declared them invaders and enemies, in those they cared?? WOW !!!

PS. America was in Sudan, only that was more a humanitarian mission. I believe the country learnt from Somalia that it is better to stay clear of the local issues, and focus instead of helping the refugees. But then again, I would not expect you to admit that since it seems America is ALWAYS evil to you, no matter what it does. grin grin
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by cap28: 11:14pm On Feb 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

They also simply don't care? You mean the many other times America intervened, and people like you immediately declared them invaders and enemies, in those they cared?? WOW !!!

PS. America was in Sudan, only that was more a humanitarian mission. I believe the country learnt from Somalia that it is better to stay clear of the local issues, and focus instead of helping the refugees. But then again, I would not expect you to admit that since it seems America is ALWAYS evil to you, no matter what it does. grin grin

America has never intervened in any conflict anywhere in the world on the grounds of humanitarianism - it was only in Somalia because it had been promised trillions of dollars worth of oil concessions by a former Somalian dictator Siad Barre, it tried to regain control of the country from rival warlords and failed, after their failed expeditions they resorted to using proxies to fight on their behalf. 

This whole thing about humanitarian intervention in Libya is  a sham - all the americans want to do here is go in and annex the areas of Libya in which the oil is located.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by pleep(m): 11:15pm On Feb 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

PS. America was in Sudan, only that was more a humanitarian mission. I believe the country learnt from Somalia that it is better to stay clear of the local issues, and focus instead of helping the refugees. But then again, I would not expect you to admit that since it seems America is ALWAYS evil to you, no matter what it does.  grin grin

i will admit, that some of the things i say about the U.S are unnecessarily pointed. America is not evil. keep in mind that it was not America alone that invaded Somalia it was the U.N.  the security council leads this group and America leads the council (debatable) thus, the u.s was obligated to take part in the mission,  that failed,  there are HUGE strategic interests in Somalia,  its a window on the middle east the French have a military base their. and a stable Somalia would counter balance extremism. also you must remember how the American public reacted to the American involvement. it was mostly negative. Because as i said earlier the majority of American are more concerned with things like the economy and gay marriage than foreign affairs. The majority of Americans dont care.
and in Sudan its was not the U.S it was the U.N, do you remember how people criticized the U.S governement for not doing anything? they were people like you who mistook the U.s gov for a humanititarian organization.  i will admit that the U.N did do a great deal of good but only intervened when the violence was mostly over.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Kobojunkie: 11:23pm On Feb 27, 2011
pleep:

i will admit, that some of the things i say about the U.S are unnecessarily pointed. America is not evil. keep in mind that it was not America alone that invaded Somalia it was the U.N the security council leads this group and America leads the council (debatable) thus, the u.s was obligated to take part in the mission,  that failed,  there are HUGE strategic interests in Somalia,  its a window on the middle east the French have a military base their. and a stable Somalia would counter balance extremism. also you must remember how the American public reacted to the American involvement. it was mostly negative. Because as a said earlier the majority of American are more concerned with things like the economy and gay marriage than foreign affairs. The majority of Americans dont care.
and in Sudan its was not the U.S it was the U.N,  i will admit they did do a great deal of good but only intervened when the violence was mostly over.

OMGosh!!! So you do KNOW that the U.S does go out on U.N Security Council sanctioned missions(For a minute there I thought you were just another nairaland numskull that probably needed to be spoon-fed information little by little),and it does not necessarily go ahead unless in special cases. But here you are pretending the U.S itself should jump out ahead of the U.N council to go save Libyans?

Please, let us use our heads more! The U.S rarely goes on these missions except when the U.N in involved. And it is almost always the case that the U.S is involved in most every U.N security outing. I am not sure what you mean when you now decide the only time the U.S gets involved is when it has something to gain, when this same country is known all around the world for being a part of U.N missions such as this, even the Somalia, and Sudanese cases cannot be told without mentioning the fact that U.S forces were present even then. 

Why now expect the U.S to act as world police when many of you have made it more than clear that you do not welcome the U.S serving in that capacity? Why not focus on the U.N in this instead??
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by pleep(m): 11:29pm On Feb 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

OMGosh!!! So you do KNOW that the U.S does go out on U.N Security Council sanctioned missions(For a minute there I thought you were just another nairaland numskull that probably needed to be spoon-fed information little by little),and it does not necessarily go ahead unless in special cases. But here you are pretending the U.S itself should jump out ahead of the U.N council to go save Libyans?

Please, let us use our heads more! The U.S rarely goes on these missions except when the U.N in involved. And it is almost always the case that the U.S is involved in most every U.N security outing. I am not sure what you mean when you now decide the only time the U.S gets involved is when it has something to gain, when this same country is known all around the world for being a part of U.N missions such as this, even the Somalia, and Sudanese cases cannot be told without mentioning the fact that U.S forces were present even then. 

Why now expect the U.S to act as world police when many of you have made it more than clear that you do not welcome the U.S serving in that capacity? Why not focus on the U.N in this instead??

When did i say i wanted the U.S to get involved in libya? im making the opposite arguement. a stable somalia would be good for americas interests that is obvious. every other mission the U.S was involved in were for its interests. thats all im saying.

im really not sure what you talking about.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Kobojunkie: 11:34pm On Feb 27, 2011
pleep:

I hope you are Aware that the majority of Americans cannot even locate Libya on a map. [size=13pt]The also simply don't care. People don't realize how apathetic Americans are. And as for the u.s government it only acts in it's intrests it is not a humanitariAn organization, if you  researced all the evil the u.s gov has caused you would know this. America only uses  words like humanitarian mission peacekeeping liberation and freedom when it has something to gain,  Look at south Sudan there were no American instrests there so america didn't intervene[/size]

Facts on the U.N PeaceKeeping mission to Sudan . Note America was on list there too.

http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/missions/unmis/facts.shtml
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by pleep(m): 11:37pm On Feb 27, 2011
The united nations didnt intervene to STOP THE KILLING OF 200,000 South sudanese. it only got involved when all that was over.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Kobojunkie: 11:40pm On Feb 27, 2011
[size=14pt]ROFLMAO!!!! [/size]

I see it is goal post shifting time, huh?? WOW . . . . so, even though most of the missions are U.N missions, America, a country, is still required to have stepped out, BEFORE the U.N to save lives in Sudan ROFLMAO!!
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by pleep(m): 11:44pm On Feb 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=14pt]ROFLMAO!!!! [/size]

I see it is goal post shifting time, huh??  WOW . . . . so, even though most of the missions are U.N missions, America, a country, is still required to have stepped out, BEFORE the U.N to save lives in Sudan ROFLMAO!!

no you are utterly misurderstanding my whole arguemnt,  what i am saying is that the U.S (like any other country) never acts outside its interests because the average american doesnt care much about foriegn affairs. the U.S also uses humanitarianism as a cover for protecting its interests at the detrement of other countries. (see the american liberation of the philipines)
this is why they will not intervene in libya.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by pleep(m): 12:01am On Feb 28, 2011
Haha ok I read through what you were saying again. and now I understand what u were trying to say. This was just a big misunderstanding. The US is indeed involved in u.n missions that are not directly In it's  intrests all I'm sayin is that these are part of it's role on the security council.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by Kobojunkie: 12:09am On Feb 28, 2011
pleep:

Haha ok I read through what you were saying again. and now I understand what u were trying to say. This was just a big misunderstanding. The US is indeed involves in u.n missions that are not directly In it's intrests all I'm sayin is that these are part of it's role on the security council.

Every country, Human, people, acts in it's own interest. And like most nations, the U.S also recognizes borders exists and so only goes where it has interests that can be established. However, most of the missions the U.S has been out on, have been U.N missions and so I do not see why the U.S would be required to step ahead of the U.N, in the case of Somalia, Sudan, Egypt, or even Libya. Even the U.N, as we all see, is dragging it's feet on Libya as it is not certain if it is in it's place to interfere with what is going on in Libya today. The people are fighting for democracy, should the U.N intervene? How? When? What will happen if it does? These are questions that need to be considered and these is why all U.N countries are only going in to take out their own, to prepare for what is to come next.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by DeeJay20: 11:56am On Feb 28, 2011
cap28:

America has never intervened in any conflict anywhere in the world on the grounds of humanitarianism - it was only in Somalia because it had been promised trillions of dollars worth of oil concessions by a former Somalian dictator Siad Barre, it tried to regain control of the country from rival warlords and failed, after their failed expeditions they resorted to using proxies to fight on their behalf. 

This whole thing about humanitarian intervention in Libya is  a sham - all the americans want to do here is go in and a[b]nnex the areas of Libya in which the oil is located.[/b]

ROTFLMAO,

Have you noticed that the places/cities where the protesters
are in control is where all the Oil terminals/pipelines originate from lol
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by DeeJay20: 12:36pm On Feb 28, 2011
Kobojunkie:

PS. America was in Sudan, only that was more a humanitarian mission. I believe the country learnt from Somalia that it is better to stay clear of the local issues, and focus instead of helping the refugees. But then again, I would not expect you to admit that since it seems America is ALWAYS evil to you, no matter what it does.  grin grin

Dammn Girl, the kind of things that keep on coming out of your mouth is
so lame & ignorant" , which US OF A do you live in now? The Disney Version or
the Real land mass sandwiched between Canada and Mexico!!!

America's Motive in Sudan - To Counter China and get a foothold
on Southern Sudan Oil and also to drop an AFRICOM base there (according
to my a University friend of mine who is now serving in Kuwait with the marines)

America's Motive in Somalia - To secure the Choke-point of the Rea-Sea
and also to secure possible Oil concessions, but the deal went bad when a
well known "war-lord" turned his back on "Uncle Sam"

Any sane American Analyst that is sincere and not lying to himself would know
this!
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by DeeJay20: 12:39pm On Feb 28, 2011
cap28:

WAKE UP!!!! AMERICA COULDNT GIVE A F.U.CK ABOUT THE LIBYAN PEOPLE THEY ONLY WANT TO GO IN AND SEIZE CONTROL OF THE OIL WELLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I REPEAT THE WEST COULDNT GIVE TWO FU.CKS ABOUT THE LIBYAN PEOPLE THEY ONLY WANT THEIR OIL. 

GOING IN ON HUMANITARIAN GROUNDS IS A COVER AND A LIE:

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/feb2011/lead-f26.shtml

ROFLAMO!!! easy CAP28 dont allow people's Selective Myopia upset you!!!
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by johnie: 1:04pm On Feb 28, 2011
Truth be told, the days of USA's overwhelming superpower influence are quickly coming to an end.

Kingdoms/empires and nations will rise and fall. The years of their influnce wane with one significant world event or the other.

Remember the Persians, Romans (Pax Romana), British empire (on which the sun never used to set)?

After the second world, the British empire gradually crumbled and the influence of America rose.

The disgrace of US is Somalia, blind invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan and routing in Vietnam are all blood trails left behind by a fatally wounded giant.

Military invasion of Libya might be the final deathblow to American bigmanism a la law of unintended consequences.

Depsite the attraction of oil, invasion of Libya would be ill advised and I think the Yanks know that.
Re: Should The Us Intervene In Libya? Your Views Please by DeeJay20: 1:27pm On Feb 28, 2011
johnie:

Truth be told, the days of USA's overwhelming superpower influence are quickly coming to an end.

Kingdoms/empires and nations will rise and fall. T[b]he years of their influnce wane with one significant world event or the other.[/b]

Remember the Persians, Romans (Pax Romana), British empire (on which the sun never used to set)?

After the second world, the British empire gradually crumbled and the influence of America rose.

The disgrace of US is Somalia, blind invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan and routing in Vietnam are all blood trails left behind by a fatally wounded giant.

Military invasion of Libya might be the final deathblow to American bigmanism a la law of unintended consequences.

Depsite the attraction of oil, invasion of Libya would be ill advised and I think the Yanks know that.

I can see that you are a student of History, Nothing last forever, Empires are no exception,

Please note the point i put in bold that you made, this is a profound thought
you have made,

(1) (2) (Reply)

N2 Billion Contracts: How Three Generals Killed Governor Sylva’s Second Term Bid / CBN Sets New Deposit Limit For Account Holders / Fashola Flags Off First 24–hour Primary Health Care Facility. pics..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.