Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,045 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Advice about moving To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Advice about moving To Nigeria (3613 Views)

Nigerian Couple Buys A House 2 And Half Years Of Moving To UK. / Why Aren't There Threads About Moving To China??? / Advice About Which Country To Migrant To As A Youth For Legal Hustling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice about moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 18, 2020
If you moved back to Nigeria from the west, what challenges are you facing and how would you advice someone that is planning to move and establish a business in adjusting properly, with due emphasis in navigating the business environment of Nigeria? I am Nigerian German, in my late 20's, and hungry for success. I believe Africa, especially Nigeria is the new wide west to make big bucks quickly.

Good advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 18, 2020
roteblomen:
If you moved back to Nigeria from the west, what challenges are you facing and how would you advice someone that is planning to move and establish a business in adjusting properly, with due emphasis in navigating the business environment of Nigeria? I am Nigerian German, in my late 20's, and hungry for success. I believe Africa, especially Nigeria is the new wide west to make big bucks quickly.

do not make that mistake. Many people will see you as easy prey to extort you, you staff will probably steal or defraud you. You can try Rwanda or Botswana. Avoid Nigeria it is a sinking ship.

6 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 18, 2020
Kekereekun123:
do not make that mistake. Many people will see you as easy prey to extort you, you staff will probably steal or defraud you. You can try Rwanda or Botswana. Avoid Nigeria it is a sinking ship.
True talk.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 18, 2020
Kekereekun123:

I have thought of the possibilities of staff extortion, but other businesses are still operating there and have systems in place to avoid that. For example, I bought something on jumia for a friend in Lagos, transferred cash to him and he paid for the order on delivery, so it is possible. Just saying.

About Rwanda and Botswana, I know no one and know nothing about that culture, never been there, and I have no head-start either via social circles, or comparative advantage. Though if I becomes successful in Nigeria, I will expand to those regions perhaps. I mean, I could find all the reasons not to move back and I will see it, hence, I asked for inputs from folks that have went through that route, and their experience thereof.

8 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by ModestGal(f): 5:33pm On Sep 18, 2020
roteblomen:

I have thought of the possibilities of staff extortion, but other businesses are still operating there and have systems in place to avoid that. For example, I bought something on jumia for a friend in Lagos, transferred cash to him and he paid for the order on delivery, so it is possible. Just saying.

About Rwanda and Botswana, I know no one and know nothing about that culture, never been there, and I have no head-start either via social circles, or comparative advantage. Though if I becomes successful in Nigeria, I will expand to those regions perhaps. I mean, I could find all the reasons not to move back and I will see it, hence, I asked for inputs from folks that have went through that route, and their experience thereof.
What business are you planning to do? Do you have a trust worthy Nigerian family or friend?
90% of people in this country are hungry, and that hunger had turned their head, please be careful bro. I don't want you to hate Nigeria, because if they harm you, you will so hate Nigeria and Nigerians including we innocent people

7 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 18, 2020
ModestGal:

What business are you planning to do? Do you have a trust worthy Nigerian family or friend?
90% of people in this country are hungry, and that hunger had turned their head, please be careful bro. I don't want you to hate Nigeria, because if they harm you, you will so hate Nigeria and Nigerians including we innocent people

I am into fashion designing and production. Yes, I have families that are trustworthy 100%.
Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 18, 2020
roteblomen:

do your business in Germany, employ white staff. Do not make that mistake of coming here. Its not even safe.

1 Like

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by ModestGal(f): 5:42pm On Sep 18, 2020
roteblomen:

I am into fashion designing and production. Yes, I have families that are trustworthy 100%.
Have you done your business proposal and market survey?
Are you planning to operate in industrial strength? If yes, they I believe, you are good, if not, maybe you should just stay where you are

2 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 18, 2020
ModestGal:

Have you done your business proposal and market survey?
Are you planning to operate in industrial strength? If yes, they I believe, you are good, if not, maybe you should just stay where you are

Yes, and yes. Thank you.
Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by ModestGal(f): 6:26pm On Sep 18, 2020
roteblomen:

Yes, and yes. Thank you.
You are welcome
Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 4:13am On Sep 19, 2020
Be mindful of your drive to make money quickly otherwise, you are setting up yourself to be swindled.

5 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:06am On Sep 19, 2020
roteblomen:

Why not come down & spend like one month, study things & see for yourself?
Boss Egunmogaji2, your input will be appreciated

2 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 8:11am On Sep 19, 2020
Kekereekun123:

This, on so many levels, was so sad to read.

2 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 8:17am On Sep 19, 2020
xcellentgraphic:
I dont no why some people just like discourage those that want to set up business in this country....I can say this empathetically that if you have money nigeria is one of the best place to invest and become rich within a short period....

Facebook is opening a major office that’ll serve Africa next year in Lagos. As an example of one of the many foreign speculators that gets it.

Nigeria is a fantastic environment, business wise, for a startup.

4 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by michlins(m): 8:20am On Sep 19, 2020
You people will say the government isn't attracting investors. Same you will scare out the investors and cry about unemployment.

It's not just about this OP but millions of others who read Nairaland

11 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:32am On Sep 19, 2020
Akiliogidi:

I am doing that in November.

1 Like

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by bamdexfarms(m): 10:04am On Sep 19, 2020
Weigh your options very carefully, the cost of production will drive you crazy. Remember that you will have to provide at least 90% of the electricity for production yourself. Also, Nigeria is technically in recession and it is not advisable to start a business during this period. The purchasing power of many Nigerians has reduced greatly. Many Nigerians right now are just looking for the next decent meal.

My best advise is to invest in real estate for now. You can build hostels close to academic institutions and rent to students. Keep any production based business pending!... FYI, I was among the thousands of small business owners that sprung up during the 2014/2015 era but the poor policies of the government that doesn't support small businesses dragged most of us to the ground.

The success of a startup depends greatly on favorable government policies and for now, this administration is hell bent on frustrating Nigerians. Be WISE!

1 Like

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:07am On Sep 19, 2020
You grew up in Germany and I believe Germany has one of the best education systems. Before doing business, you need to look at the numbers. Nigeria has a very large population yes but 80 percent of that population lives in stricken poverty and you are coming down here for fashion business and not to sell food products. Nigerians spend 60 percent of their income on food I am sure it should be close to 70 percent now since the price of food items have gone through the roof. Do the research and run the numbers thoroughly so you don't make mistakes you will regret down the line. The numbers should guide your decision.

https://medium.com/@drola/the-mystery-of-market-size-in-nigeria-a7c863f537bb

You can read this article by dr ola the founder of flying doctors. She thoroughly demystifies the true market size in Nigeria. You can also subscribe to platforms like business day and stears business so you can get the data to work with.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 10:11am On Sep 19, 2020
Akiliogidi:

Thanks for the mention.

Personally I cannot in good faith recommend that anyone should move to Nigeria. You should move to Nigeria because that's is where you want to be, not based on recommendation from someone else.

DO NOT MOVE TO NIGERIA IF:

You need uninterrupted electricity.

You need safe pipe borne water.

You need hygienic waste management system.

You are anxious about safety.

You need a government with clear policies.

CONSIDER MOVING TO NIGERIA IF:

You fancy yourself as the early Americans who came in killed all the Indians, took their lands and became overlord. Pretty drastic statement I know but to survive in Nigeria you need to be near ruthless. Not unlawful but ruthless. It has been my experience that being seen as kind, generous, caring is taken as a sign of weakness and a mumu.

To OP:

I was born in Nigeria and grew up here till I finished poly.

I retired back to Nigeria 18 months ago after 33 years in the USA. As an American citizen I could pretty much move to almost any country in the world and live there successfully on my retirement income. I chose to come back to Nigeria because frankly I love Nigeria and I could give my little means back to the country that gave me so much.

There hasn't been one day that I didn't wish I returned much earlier as Nigeria is good, very good, to me. This is much to the chagrin of most on here whop sees Nigeria as nothing but a death wish. I suppose I could share there macabre ideology about Nigeria if a was a 20 something year old that is still finding himself.

Moving to Nigeria should never ever be done on a whim. It's should be attacked like a military assault.

My move started around 2010. After I left in 1986, I didn't return for a visit until 2006, 20 years gone. On that trip I was able to see some changes and opportunities in Nigeria. So I made a plan to start spending my yearly vacations in Nigeria so I can get used to it. Between 2006 and 2010 I came home once every two years.

Come 2010 I really started putting things in gear. I came home much more frequently, some years twice. Between 2015 and 2019 I came home around 4 times a year. This is important, the back to back trips. It's on these trips that I convinced myself that I could actually do this. Live in this near lawless, ungovernable country and actually have fun and pursue opportunities.

One sunny day in 2019 sitting at my desk in the office in Los Angeles I upped and quit my lucrative career and move back to Nigeria. Now I moved back to my own house that I've built in that timeframe and fully furnished, my own vehicles that I've stashed in that timeframe.

I wrote all this in detail for others to read carefully as they make their choices. One of the most difficult things for returnees is when they move back and they have to rent or live with families that they hardly know. Some think they can only make it in Lagos or Abuja and pay N1M a year rent. I pay N0 rent. Some can't drive and take Uber. I pay N0 because I drive myself (mostly after heavy praying).

You cannot do a successful business without being on the ground and doing your own critical study. All the studies and plans that I made about Nigeria while I was in the USA has been thrown away. It's near useless.

So in closure, move to Nigeria because it's what you want to do, not because someone think it's a good idea. Move to Nigeria with residence and vehicle already sorted out. Have a bank account already funded (you can do this while your win the oversea). You can fund your bank without going through anyone so no one will know if you are a thousaniare or millionaire. And for the love of god do not use your actual physical home address at the bank. The staff are suspects.

Good luck to all of us, those of us coming back, those of us heading out and those of us already here.

PS: Rely on no one. Your friends/family have their own palava going on. Most of the promises made too you while you're in the abroad will not pan out.

PPS: Nigeria is blindingly expensive, frankly I don't know how some do it. You will need to stop using pounds/dollars to justify at some point. I have a gen that I run and it consumes N5K gas in 3 days. Some people only make N20/N25K per month. So relatively I am wasteful.

30 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by Cowbell521: 10:11am On Sep 19, 2020
michlins:
You people will say the government isn't attracting investors. Same you will scare out the investors and cry about unemployment.

It's not just about this OP but millions of others who read Nairaland
Nigerians deserve the leaders and economy they have.

1 Like

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by Cowbell521: 10:19am On Sep 19, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Thanks for the mention.

Personally I cannot in good faith recommend that anyone should move to Nigeria. You should move to Nigeria because that's is where you want to be, not based on recommendation from someone else.

You fancy yourself as the early Americans who came in killed all the Indians, took their lands and became overlord. Pretty drastic statement I know but to survive in Nigeria you need to be near ruthless. Not unlawful but ruthless. It has been my experience that being seen as kind, generous, caring is taken as a sign of weakness and a mumu.

To OP:

I retired back to Nigeria 18 months ago after 33 years in the USA. As an American citizen i could pretty much move to almost any country in the world and live there successfully on my retirement income. I chose to come back to Nigeria because frankly I love Nigeria and I could give my little means back to the country that gave me so much.

There hasn't been one day that I didn't wish I returned much earlier as Nigeria is good, very good, to me. This is much to the chagrin of most on here whop sees Nigeria as nothing but a death wish. I suppose I could share there macabre ideology about Nigeria if a was a 20 something year old that is still finding himself.

Moving to Nigeria should never ever be done on a whim. It's should be attacked like a military assault.

My move started around 2010. After I left in 1986, I didn't return for a visit until 2006, 20 years gone. On that trip I was able to see some changes and opportunities in Nigeria. So I made a plan to start spending my yearly vacations in Nigeria so I can get used to it. Between 2006 and 2010 I came home once every two years.

Come 2010 I really started putting things in gear. I came home much more frequently, some years twice. Between 2015 and 2019 I came home around 4 times a year. This is important, the back to back trips. It's on these trips that I convinced myself that I could actually do this. Live in this near lawless, ungovernable country and actually have fun and pursue opportunities.

One sunny day in 2019 sitting at my desk in the office in Los Angeles I upped and quit my lucrative career and move back to Nigeria. Now I moved back to my own house that I've built in that timeframe and fully furnished, my own vehicles that I've stashed in that timeframe.

I wrote all this in detail for others to read carefully as they make their choices. One of the most difficult things for returnees is when they move back and they have to rent or live with families that they hardly know. Some think they can only make it in Lagos or Abuja and pay N1M a year rent. I pay N0 rent. Some can't drive and take Uber. I pay N0 because I drive myself (mostly after heavy praying).

You cannot do a successful business without being on the ground and doing your own critical study. All the studies and plans that I made about Nigeria while I was in the USA has been thrown away. It's near useless.

So in closure, move to Nigeria because it's what you want to do, not because someone think it's a good idea. Move to Nigeria with residence and vehicle already sorted out. Have a bank account already funded (you can do this while your win the oversea).YOu can fund your bank without going through anyone so no one will know if you are a thousaniare or millionaire. And for the love of god do not use your actual physical home address at the back. The staff are suspects.

Good luck too all of us, those of us coming back, those of us heading out and those of us already here.

PS: Rely on no one. Your friends/family have their own palava going on. Most of the promises made too you while you're in the abroad will not pan out.

PPS: Nigeria is blindingly expensive, frankly I don't know how some do it. You will need to stop using pounds/dollars to justify at some point. I have a gen that I run and it consumes N5K gas in 3 days. Some people only make N20/N25K per month. So relatively I am wasteful.

Wait till they come and attack you and start asking unnecessary questions. All because den wan spoil their country.

I returned to 9ja after 3 years and he surprised me how deranged Nigerians be.

Government do good. They must complain.

Government do bad. They must to complain.

Drive 2015 car. They look you with bad eye for street.

Drive bad car. They treat you like trash.

If I go comot 9ja again. No be because of bad government. But because 80% Nigerians themselves no good.

9 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by flyingpig: 10:40am On Sep 19, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Thanks for the mention.

To OP:

I retired back to Nigeria 18 months ago after 33 years in the USA. As an American citizen i could pretty much move to almost any country in the world and live there successfully on my retirement income. I chose to come back to Nigeria because frankly I love Nigeria and I could give my little means back to the country that gave me so much.

So in closure, move to Nigeria because it's what you want to do, not because someone think it's a good idea. Move to Nigeria with residence and vehicle already sorted out. Have a bank account already funded (you can do this while your win the oversea).YOu can fund your bank without going through anyone so no one will know if you are a thousaniare or millionaire. And for the love of god do not use your actual physical home address at the back. The staff are suspects.

Good luck too all of us, those of us coming back, those of us heading out and those of us already here.

Chai this life no balance.

American citizen coming back to Nigeria to retire.

While me in my mid 20s, I'm ready to eat human feces in order to obtain American citizenship.

This life ehn sad
Shah if I succeed on that quest I'd return to Nigeria too, to retire in my early 50s.

2 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by teamb: 10:42am On Sep 19, 2020
You people are sending away investors and later will complain about unemployment in this country. Even someone recommend the Ops to move to Rwanda or Botswana. Then next few years this same user will open a topic on how Rwanda and Botswana economy is better then Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 10:56am On Sep 19, 2020
flyingpig:
Chai this life no balance.

American citizen coming back to Nigeria to retire.

While me in my mid 20s, I'm ready to eat human feces in order to obtain American citizenship.

This life ehn sad
Shah if I succeed on that quest I'd return to Nigeria too, to retire in my early 50s .

Some don't. I have friends that won't even enter Nigeria. They'll go to Ghana and fly relatives in from Nigeria. Some return in caskets.
Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 10:56am On Sep 19, 2020
teamb:
You people are sending away investors and later will complain about unemployment in this country. Even someone recommend the Ops to move to Rwanda or Botswana. Then next few years this same user will open a topic on how Rwanda and Botswana economy is better then Nigeria.

Don't mind them.

There's only one Buhari versus millions of Nigerians. Guess who can make the best change to turn the country around?

3 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by flyingpig: 11:02am On Sep 19, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Some don't. I have friends that won't even enter Nigeria. They'll go to Ghana and fly relatives in from Nigeria. Some return in caskets.
This is very hilarious. I think it is a matter of choice. Nigeria failed them so they don't owe Nigeria anything to be honest. USA gave them the opportunities to prosper and lead meaningful lives, something Nigeria denied them. Coming back here to retire I believe is a matter of choice. But to be honest, if I earn a certain wage in Nigeria, I would gladly live here, and do the following.

Pìmp my home to my taste
Fly abroad to treat ailments
Afford to tour beautiful parts of Nigeria and buy anything I want in malls
Help the needy around me
Eat anything I want, even Chinese cuisines.

So, like I said. Retiring home is a matter of choice and not an obligation. But for me, I will choose to retire here regardless of what I go to USA or Canada to see and use.

4 Likes

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by sweetmelanin(f): 11:28am On Sep 19, 2020
roteblomen:

I get the feeling this OP is a follower of that 'popular' YouTube hypocrite who is sits his broke behind in the UK whilst deceiving his followers by selling them the African dream on how to move back to "the motherland" and "make it big" ...then he would delete, insult or block anyone who comes forward with an objective statement on why things are not so rosy back home.

Look OP, if you watch Phr....... , don't be deceived o.. he's living off the little stipends from YouTube where he deceives gullible diasporians for views. There's a reason he himself is still in the UK and hasn't moved back to enjoy how "fantastic" Nigeria is cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice about moving To Nigeria by ecomalchemist(m): 11:39am On Sep 19, 2020
sweetmelanin:

I get the feeling this OP is a follower of that 'popular' YouTube hypocrite who is sits his broke behind in the UK whilst deceiving his followers by selling them the African dream on how to move back to "the motherland" and "make it big" ...then he would delete, insult or block anyone who comes forward with an objective statement on why things are not so rosy back home.

Look OP, if you watch Phr....... , don't be deceived o.. he's living off the little stipends from YouTube where he deceives gullible diasporians for views. There's a reason he himself is still in the UK and hasn't moved back to enjoy how "fantastic" Nigeria is cheesy

lol, that must be 'phrankleen'.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules / Man Faces Criticism After Sharing Photos Of Lady Who Slept Off On His Shoulder / Traveling To Mexico As A First Timer, What I Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.