Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,218 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

Less Than Nothing - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Less Than Nothing (20266 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Less Than Nothing by Lakesc: 10:04am On Oct 14, 2020
Thanks for the update...
Re: Less Than Nothing by BigBasher: 1:02am On Oct 15, 2020
Waiting for more update
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 2:26am On Oct 17, 2020
Several minutes later when he came in, she allowed him some rest before approaching him on the issue. He was at the dining table to take his dinner when Boma came to sit down on the chair next to him.

“Darling, there’s something bothering me since morning,’’ she started.

Ola continued munching his meal. “And what’s that?’’

She paused before she continued. “I need to warn you about taking decisions. Please, be very careful about making moves.’’

Now, he paused to briefly stare at her. “What are you talking about?’’

She sighed as if that would make what she was about to say more emphatic. “I had a dream in which something terrible happened to you as a result of a bad decision you took. I need to warn you about you steps you take.’’

Ola laughed briefly. It was a kind of laugh that lacked mirth or anything jocund. “So, the whole essence of this your “serious warning’’ is because of a dream. When did you become Joseph?’’

“Eh, don’t think this is a joke o. I’m serious. It’s not all my dreams that have import, but I can assure you that this one does. Please, do not take
it with a pinch of salt.’’

“Alright, alright,’’ he said hastily. There was no point he argued with her, was there? “You said I should be mindful of my decisions, right?’’

“Yes, dear.’’

“Okay. Thank you.’’

She stared at him. “Does that mean you will take the warning serious?’’

He felt like laughing again, but did not. “Don’t worry. Thanks for you dream and advice.’’

“Oh, darling, you just be careful.’’

In his mind, he snickered at her. What a laughable dream, he thought.

The following morning, Ola did not see Moni until after noon. She had gone to Victoria Island to have another board meeting. During break
time, Ola drove to the large shopping mall at Alausa, not far from the office. He went to the toiletries section where he looked at the array of ladies perfumes for sale. There were so many of them, ranging from Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior, Coco Chanel Eau de Perfume, AERIN
Hibiscus Palm, to LANCOME la vie est Belle, Tiffany Eau de perfume, and Chloe Eau de perfume Spray.

He liked the package of Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium, so he picked it up and read what was on it. The fragrance had an addictive combination of white floral, mixed with base notes of coffee, vanilla and cedar wood. The 3-ounce bottle was on the very expensive side, but he did not mind. She deserved much more than this.

He also picked a very colorful wrapper, paid through the POS, and left the store with the item.

Back in his office, he wrapped the perfume. After doing that, he pasted a brown paper cello-tape on the package and wrote: To the most beautiful lady on earth on it. Satisfied with his choice of product and his choice of words, he put the package in his right, inner suit pocket and left for Moni’s office.

“Good afternoon, sister,’’ he greeted her. It was the second time he would be greeting her that afternoon, but what was it with the ‘sister’ stuff?

“Good afternoon, Mr. Ola Johnson,’’ she replied, a little smile on her face.

“I’ve got a little gift for you. Can I go ahead and present it?’’

She nodded and motioned him to a seat. “You’re asking questions as if you’re a stranger.’’

“Oh, well, you’re the boss.’’ He sat down gingerly, dipped his right hand in the inner jacket pocket and brought the wrapped package out.

“Here. This is for you.’’

She took it from him with the smile still on her face. “Really?’’

He nodded. “Yes, a beautiful lady like you deserves this.’’

She examined the package tenderly. “Thanks.’’

“I hope you’ll find it good enough for you.’’

“I hope so too.’’

He nodded and stood up.

“Thanks, once again.’’

“You’re welcome. Thanks for this.’’

Feeling high and accomplished, he left her office.
Re: Less Than Nothing by Ann2012(f): 7:01pm On Oct 17, 2020
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Less Than Nothing by dawno2008(m): 8:44pm On Oct 17, 2020
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 6:01pm On Oct 21, 2020
She examined the package tenderly. “Thanks.’’

“I hope you’ll find it good enough for you.’’

“I hope so too.’’

He nodded and stood up.

“Thanks, once again.’’

“You’re welcome. Thanks for this.’’

Feeling high and accomplished, he left her office. Back in his office, as he sat on his executive, well-padded seat, he remembered Boma and the dream she said she had, but only briefly. Her dream had nothing to do with his actions, he felt. Who took dreams from a woman serious?

Few minutes to four o’clock, Ola received a call from Moni.

“Hello, madam.’’

“Hello, the Don.’’

He smiled at himself. Calling him Don reminded him of his university days when his friends and course-mates called him “The Don.’’

“I’ve seen the package you sent to me,’’ she went on.

“Ah, I hope you like it.’’

She chuckled across the line. “I don’t like it. I love it.’’

He laughed briefly. “I’m glad to hear that. I’m glad that you love it.’’

“Yes, I do. Christian Dior products happen to be my favorites.’’

He nodded. “Once again, I’m glad you love it.’’

“Have you asked yourself if you’re man enough to do what you’ve embarked on?’’

He chuckled. “I’m man enough. The main challenge I have is if the queen I have admiration for will give me the chance to prove love.’’

“If your feelings are sincere, why not?’’

He chuckled again. “I can assure you that everything is sincere.’’

“Well, events will prove that to be true or not.’’

“Sure, sure.’’

He was emboldened by her responses. “I’ve started the proof, already,’’ he said further.

“I don’t think so. “But then, perhaps when the time comes, you’ll prove that.’’

There was no point to drag on that. “Okay, when the time comes, I’ll surely live up to my bidding.’’

“We’ll see. Thanks for now. Bye.’’

“Bye, my queen.’’

She disconnected the line. Phew, what a lady. Things were going the way he wanted them to go. Very good. He would be patient.

Several minutes later, Agbaman called Moni just when she was preparing to leave the office.

“I miss you my baby,’’ he said in his husky voice.

“I miss you terribly, my dear.’’

“I’ll be coming over to that place tonight.’’

“That will be lovely, sweetheart. You’re always welcome.’’

“Yeah. That’s my darling.’’

“So, what meal will you like to have?’’

“Wheat meal with ‘egusi’ soup.’’

“It is done.’’

He laughed over the line. “Alright. See you, dear.’’

See you.’’ He disconnected the line while she grinned to herself. Well, it was not a bad news that he would be coming tonight, she thought. It
was not bad at all. She was putting her personal effects inside her Gucci handbag when her cell phone rang again. A cursory look at the
caller’s identity showed that it was Bella, her sister, that was calling.

“Hello, big sis,’’ Bella greeted. “We’re on short vacation and I’ll be coming to your place today.’’

“I see.’’

“Yes. See you, sister.’’

“Okay, see you.’’

Less Than Nothing: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/less_than_nothing/37142

1 Like

Re: Less Than Nothing by Zamar: 7:32am On Oct 22, 2020
Interesting
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 2:56pm On Oct 23, 2020
Re: Less Than Nothing by BigBasher: 4:39pm On Oct 24, 2020
Nice one
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 12:16pm On Oct 25, 2020
“Hello, big sis,’’ Bella greeted. “We’re on short vacation and I’ll be coming to your place today.’’

“I see.’’

“Yes. See you, sister.’’

“Okay, see you.’’

Bella was her youngest sister. She was a student of a private university in Ogun state. She normally came around whenever they were on break,
so her information was no news.

Moni pressed the bell. Her secretary soon came inside.

“Has my P.A come up?’’

“Yes, madam.’’

“Please, tell him to come and pick my briefcase.’’

“Okay.’’ The secretary left. A moment later, Muyi, the driver came inside her office. As usual, he would be helping the madam to take her valise
and brief case to the car.

“Goodnight,’’ the secretary said as Moni made her way out of the office. Moni waved at her and was off.

Mercy was in her office at Stars to write, proof-read and send her news stories to her editor. She read the story again, making corrections here and there. Finally, she was happy with what she had written. She sent the story through the WhatsApp to Chima, the desk editor.

Now, talking about Chima. He was a handsome one who appeared too devoted to his job. He was still single, but always carried on as if he had no use for ladies in his personal life. Mercy could not say she had seen any lady intimately with him. Neither had he ever talked about any. Mercy wondered if he was a “straight’’ guy. If he was, why was he always so cossetted in his shell?

The truth was Mercy would not mind a fling with him. She had tried in many ways to flirt with him and to give him the green light, but he was always talking about job, job and duty! Was he the only one doing the work? Was Mercy too not always striving to do her job to the best of her ability?

Her cell phone rang. It was Chima on the line.

“Hello, Mercy.’’

“Hi, Chima.’’

“Can you come over?’’

He asked as if she had a choice. “Okay,’’ she answered.

She picked her handbag, picked up her cell phone and left her office. There shouldn’t have been need to take the bag, but since the day
someone stole her cell phone and wallet from the bag she left in the office, she had learnt not to be leaving the bag behind. Talk about office rats!

“Hello, Chima,’’ she greeted as soon as she entered his office.

“Hello, Mercy. Have your seat.’’

She smiled and took his offer.

“I just need to remind you that the gala night of the association of fashion designers will be coming up tonight.’’

Mercy smiled and nodded. Yesterday, Chima had equally reminded her. Would she forget a thing like that?

“I didn’t forget,’’ she said. I know it’s going to be a magnificent event, so, there’s no way I will forget a thing like that.’’

“Good.’’

“Have you changed your mind? Will you be coming?’’

He shook his head. “No, you go ahead and represent us.’’

She nodded. “That will be no problem.’’

“There’s one more thing,’’ he put in. “I can tell you authoritatively that the board has decided that you’ll be the next deputy editor.’’

Mercy was not surprised to hear that. Since Ms. Ikomi got a new – better – appointment, Chima had been operating without a deputy. She was
happy to be considered for the position. It showed that someone knew her value.

“That will be lovely,’’ she replied.

2 Likes

Re: Less Than Nothing by kweensheba: 6:36pm On Oct 25, 2020
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing by BigBasher: 9:32am On Oct 26, 2020
Interesting work
Re: Less Than Nothing by CasNova: 2:03am On Oct 28, 2020
Nice work
Re: Less Than Nothing by Awesome05: 7:33am On Oct 29, 2020
Carry on
Re: Less Than Nothing by ThrillPlus: 4:13pm On Oct 29, 2020
Nice one
Re: Less Than Nothing by ThrillPlus: 5:17pm On Oct 29, 2020
Nice and cool
Re: Less Than Nothing by Awesome05: 9:05pm On Oct 30, 2020
Interesting story
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 5:56pm On Oct 31, 2020
She nodded. “That will be no problem.’’

“There’s one more thing,’’ he put in. “I can tell you authoritatively that the board has decided that you’ll be the next deputy editor.’’

Mercy was not surprised to hear that. Since Ms. Ikomi got a new – better – appointment, Chima had been operating without a deputy. She was happy to be considered for the position. It showed that someone knew her value.

“That will be lovely,’’ she replied.

“I’m sure by next Monday, latest, you’ll get a letter to that effect. Alright, that will be all for now.’’

She smiled again and stood up. “Okay, Chima. Thanks.’’

“You’re welcome.’’

She returned to her office and opened her i-Pad. Few minutes later, she was still browsing when her cell phone rang. This time around, it was from unknown number.

“Hello,’’ she said.

“Hello, good day.’’ It was a mature man’s voice.

“Am I on to Mercy?’’

“Yes. Who’s on the line, please?’’

“I’m Austin Dada, the CEO of Thrills Television.’’

“Ah, good day, sir.’’ She had heard about the man. As a fact, she had seen him on some occasions, but always at a distance. Now, what could be the reason behind Mr. Dada’s call?

“It’s an honor to receive a call from you, sir.’’

“No, the pleasure is mine. I call you for two purposes. The first is to tell you that I enjoy reading your incisive and detailed news stories and columns in Stars.’’

She felt pleased. “Thank you so much, sir. I’m honored.’’

And what was the second?

“You’re welcome. Secondly, I’ll like to have some discussions with you. If you don’t mind, can you make it to Thrills Television by twelve noon tomorrow?’’

She quickly thought over this. Yes, she could. “There’ll be no problem, sir.’’

“Good. You know our office? It’s along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. I’ll be expecting you.’’

“I know the place.’’

“Alright. See you.’’

The line was disconnected. Mercy sighed, wondering why the CEO of a foremost infotainment news channel would want to see her.

Early in the following morning, Ola was at his desk. His love life apart, he was always zealous about work and would not joke with it. He was still busy as at nine in the morning when Moni used the intercom to invite him to her office.

He stopped what he was doing to attend to her.
As usual, he was in a trendy suit that he knew complimented his looks. He knocked once on her door before entering her expansive office.

“Good morning, Madam Moni.’’

“Good morning, Mr. Ola Johnson. How’re you this morning?’’

He smiled and nodded. “I’m fine. How about you?’’

She nodded. “Fine too. Please, sit down.’’

“Thanks.’’

He sat down and looked about the office. It was an exquisite office that smelt nice. What a lucky lady she was.

2 Likes

Re: Less Than Nothing by Awesome05: 5:27am On Nov 02, 2020
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing by FairCritic(m): 2:38am On Nov 03, 2020
Cool
Re: Less Than Nothing by Ann2012(f): 6:53am On Nov 03, 2020
Well done OP
Re: Less Than Nothing by aprilwise(m): 8:20am On Nov 03, 2020
Nice one. thanks for the update
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 8:49pm On Nov 04, 2020
He smiled and nodded. “I’m fine. How about you?’’

She nodded. “Fine too. Please, sit down.’’

“Thanks.’’

He sat down and looked about the office. It was an exquisite office that smelt nice. What a lucky lady she was.

“Yes, I called you for private matter. I felt there’s no need I waste time, based on what I’’ve seen so far.’’

He nodded. “Well, I’m all ears.’’

She nodded too. “The first thing I will like to know is to demand that you should assert yourself as to why you were acting the way you’ve been
acting in the last few days.’’

He grinned. Was that why she called him? Well, his actions had spoken better than words, had they not?

She saw him hesitate. “Okay, let me say this,’’ she prompted. “From what I could see, a man is trying to woo the heart of a queen. Is that correct?’’

He nodded. “That’s correct.’’

“The man in question has made the overtures to the lady, and from her responses, she has been encouraging him.’’

Again, he nodded.

“Now, let me say this, and let me say it emphatically. The man can actually win the heart of the queen, but it will not be easy. The fact is the
queen presently has a king that occupies her heart. For the man to win her heart, the present occupier must be dislodged. Is that not a tenable
reason?’’

Ola shifted on his seat. “It is agreeable,’’ he said.

“Good. I’m happy that you’re following keenly. Now, hear this fact. The only way the prospective lover can win the heart of the queen is to
completely dislodge the present occupier. By that, I mean that the occupier must be eliminated.’’

He stared at her. Was he hearing correctly? What was she really saying?

“I don’t understand,’’ he muttered.

“There’s nothing difficult to understand in this. The occupier is a king, and two kings cannot occupy the palace at the same time. One has to go
for another.’’

Ola opened his mouth but no words came out. After some seconds, he was finally able to speak. “If I may get you right, what you’re suggesting
is that …’’

Moni did not allow him to finish. “I’m not suggesting anything. What I’m saying categorically is that there can’t be two occupiers at a time and one will completely have to go for another one. I don’t know how you will do it. You will have to be the one to devise that. Your acceptance of it will show that you’re really serious about your intents.’’

She stared intently into his eyes. “I will give you three days to give me the answer if you will go ahead and do it or not. Just three days. If at the end of the three days, I didn’t hear anything from you, I will take it that you have descended from the prospective king to a knave. That will be no problem. Thank you for your time, Mr. Ola Johnson.’’

It was the end of the discussion. He stood up slowly.

1 Like

Re: Less Than Nothing by dawno2008(m): 10:46pm On Nov 04, 2020
Ghen Ghen............ shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Less Than Nothing by FairCritic(m): 10:05am On Nov 07, 2020
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 5:49am On Nov 08, 2020
FairCritic:

Nice update

Thanks
Re: Less Than Nothing by Ann2012(f): 2:15pm On Nov 08, 2020
Thanks for the update
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 5:56am On Nov 09, 2020
She stared intently into his eyes. “I will give you three days to give me the answer if you will go ahead and do it or not. Just three days. If at the end of the three days, I didn’t hear anything from you, I will take it that you have descended from the prospective king to a knave. That will be no problem. Thank you for your time, Mr. Ola Johnson.’’

It was the end of the discussion. He stood up slowly.

“Thank you, Madam Moni.’’

“Thanks for your time,’’ she returned.

He left her office and returned to his. There, he sat and thought over what she had said. Was she really serious with what she had said, or was just saying that to know what would be his reaction? If she was serious, then the matter was a grave one. For God’s sake, she was asking him to take the life of her husband! What an infamy! That was callous, wasn’t it?

The cab Mercy had rented pulled up at the massive gates of Thrills Television. Mercy paid the fare and stepped out of it. It was a bright and sunny day. She put on her sun glasses and checked her watch for the time. It was about twenty minutes to noon. Well, there was no crime in coming early for her appointment.

At the gate, the security men wanted to know if she had appointment or not.

“I do. Mr. Dada asked me to see him by mid-day.’’

The intercom was engaged to confirm if indeed a lady by the name Mercy Buraimoh had appointment to see the CEO. The affirmation was
given and she was asked to fill the visitors’’ book. With the visitors’’ tag on her blouse, she moved to the big reception. There, she had to wait a
bit before she was asked to go the office of the secretary to the CEO.

Mercy had to wait for another before she was ushered into his office. The office was large and exquisite. With the way two cameras were
positioned, it looked more like a studio; or an office where film recording was going on.

“Here comes our star lady,’’ Dada said.

Mercy smiled. “Thank you, sir. Good morning, sir.’’

“Good morning, Mercy. Have your seat.’’

“Thank you, sir.’’

She sat down.

“Let me go straight to the point,’’ he said. “The main reason for asking you to come over is to let you know I have an offer for you. As I said on
the cell phone yesterday, I’m a fan of yours and I’ve always liked your columns. I like the professionalism and efficiency you display. Now, I want
you to come over and work for us here in Thrills.’’

Mercy blinked rapidly. Work for the tube? That was her initial dream. When she was an undergraduate of Mass Communication, the dream was
to be a newscaster or a show presenter. Now, that dream appeared to be coming to pass.

“I will like you to be part of the new programs we would be airing soon. If you don’t mind joining us, then you can collect your letter of
appointment even before you go today. The letter is already typed. But then, you have the choice. It is about what you want. Are you with me?’’

She didn’t know if that question meant if she was if she would be joining them at the television station. Whatever it meant, her answer would be
yes.

“Yes, I’m with you, sir.’’

“Good. Will you accept the proposition or you will like to think about it?’’

Think about it? No, sir. She had already thought about it.

“I accept the proposition, sir.’’

Austin Dada smiled and nodded. “Good. I can assure you that the terms that we’re offering you are better than your present terms. The letter of
employment says you are to resume next week Monday. The few days you have between now and then are to allow you to tidy up things over
there.’’

He stood up and extended his hand for a handshake.

Re: Less Than Nothing by Ann2012(f): 7:20am On Nov 09, 2020
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing by BigBasher: 6:41am On Nov 10, 2020
Nice one
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 2:30am On Nov 12, 2020
Austin Dada smiled and nodded. “Good. I can assure you that the terms that we’re offering you are better than your present terms. The letter of employment says you are to resume next week Monday. The few days you have between now and then are to allow you to tidy up things over there.’’

He stood up and extended his hand for a handshake.

“Congrats, Miss Mercy. I’m sure you’ll be an asset to us here.’’

“Thank you, sir.’’

It was the end of the encounter with the impressive man.

“Meet my secretary to get your letter of employment.’’

She nodded. “Thank you, sir.’’ She left his office. Just as he had said, the letter was already typed and ready. She got the letter, signed the
duplicate and left. She would not read the letter yet. She exited the building and went to the expressway. This time around, she could not get a
cab, so she took a commercial bus.

Several minutes later, she was back to her office at Stars. It was then she opened her bag to read the letter. The offers were mouth-watering.
They doubled what she currently earned. She smiled to herself. Would she be taking the offer? What a question. Of course, she would. Who in his or her right sense would reject such an offer? She would miss Chima, and the others, no doubt; but this matter went beyond acquaintanceship and friendship.

After closing at work, Ola drove straight to the club to refresh himself from the day’s work. He ordered for brandy and barbecue. As he took his drinks and the delicacy, he thought over the activities he had in the day. What an eventful day it was. The bizarre aspect of it all was what Moni said. He still wondered if she meant it or was just plying a bloody joke.

From Moni, his mind went to Mercy. She decided to call her.

“Hello, Mercy. Are you not coming over to the club?’’

“I’m sorry I’m far away on the island right now. What about tomorrow?’’

He sighed. “Alright. See you tomorrow, then.’’

It was disappointing anytime she said she would not be able to come around. Ola continued with his refreshments. Later, he played snooker
game until few minutes to nine when he decided to leave the club.

Much later that night, as he lay in bed, he was pensive. He finally resolved that he would have to confront Moni and asked her if she meant what she said or not. If she did, then he would have to do something very important: he would make her swear to an oath that whatever transpired between them must be and remain a secret.

Yes, that would be the right thing to do. His mind faltered. What if she was trying to set him up? What if this was a ploy to make him agree to dirty deal in which he would be the fall guy?

He shrugged. The swearing part should take care of that. The foremost important thing that he should do was to extract seriousness and commitment from her.

Re: Less Than Nothing by UltimateSpice: 2:39am On Nov 13, 2020
Nice update

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Adesewa / Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? / The Children Of Thunder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.