Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,953 members, 7,814,236 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen (6116 Views)

Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / Joagbaje This Will Shock You , A Very Short Message By Zac Pooen / Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by Nobody: 12:54am On Feb 28, 2011
In Malachi 3: 8-11 The Lord says, "Will a man rob [or cheat] God? Yet you are robbing Me. But you say, `How have we robbed You?' In tithes and offerings. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing [defrauding] Me, the whole nation of you. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this, if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until there is not room enough. Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of the ground; nor will your vine in the field cast its grapes".

Did you know that tithing is not mentioned even once after the day of Pentecost (when the new covenant was instituted)? Tithing is not commanded under the new covenant at all – yet multitudes of covetous pastors still preach it today and exploit poor, ignorant believers. Jesus did not teach His disciples to tithe but to give. What do we have to give to God first of all? Romans 12:1 states, "I beseech you, brethren, by the mercies of God, present your bodies (not your tithes) as a living sacrifice to God."

Just as paying the tithe was emphasised under the old covenant, presenting our bodies to God is what is emphasised in the new covenant. Tithing was meant to be a type, just like the Passover lamb and the Sabbath day. The lamb was a type of Christ, and the Sabbath was a type of the inward rest that Christ gives us. These Old Testament rituals were all shadows of what was finally fulfilled in Christ (as Colossians 2:16,17 makes crystal clear).

Concerning tithing, God had said, "The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to put God first in your lives" (Deut.14:23-Living Bible). Under the old covenant, they offered their tithes to prove that God was first in their lives. In the new covenant, we present our bodies to God and thus prove that He is first in our lives.

What does it mean to offer our bodies? It means giving our eyes to God so that we never use them for ourselves again. Is that easier or is it easier to give 10% of your income to God? You know that it is far easier to give 10% of our income each month to God than to keep our eyes pure each day of that month. That is why preachers teach tithing more than keeping our eyes pure. Many pastors are lovers of money and they want their congregation to tithe so that they can become rich from those tithes. Since there is no justification at all for tithing in the new covenant, they use this verse in Malachi to frighten ignorant believers into paying their tithes every month.

The early apostles were poor, as we can see clearly from 1 Corinthians 4:9-12: "God has exhibited us apostles last of all……To this present hour we are both hungry and thirsty, and are poorly clothed, and are roughly treated, and are homeless; and we toil, working with our own hands." But consider the mathematics of how a covetous pastor today becomes wealthy. If 10 people give him one-tenth of their income, he gets one man's average salary (because 10 X 10% = 100%). This is reasonable. But well-known pastors receive tithes from hundreds of God's people. If even 100 people give their tithes to a pastor, his income will become ten times that of the average man – and very soon he will become a millionaire, at the expense of his supporters! And then in order to justify his becoming wealthy, he will begin to preach prosperity as the mark of God's blessing (from the Old Testament – Deuteronomy 28:5,8,11) – and his flock is deceived. This is the deception flooding Christendom today, all over the world, and it is all being done in the Name of Jesus. The money-changers are back in the temple of God – and there is no-one to drive them out, as Jesus did; and there is hardly any preacher who is bold enough to expose these confidence tricksters.

Then how much money should we to give for God's work? Only what we can give cheerfully – for God does not love those who give money under pressure, or who give in order to get something from Him (See 2 Cor.9:8 ). First give your body to the Lord and then give whatever money you want to give cheerfully, but never as an obligation and certainly not out of fear. I hope this understanding of God's Word liberates you from false teaching.

http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/word_for_the_week.php?display=12_01&year=08
Re: Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 28, 2011
A song to cheer the soul

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8eT5ngFW6s?fs=1&hl=en[/flash]
Re: Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by Joagbaje(m): 7:11am On Feb 28, 2011
The only reason tithing wasn't mentioned was because it wasn't an issue with them, it was part of their lives. and God never spoke against it at any time.
Re: Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by KunleOshob(m): 9:40am On Feb 28, 2011
Joagbaje:

The only reason tithing wasn't mentioned was because it wasn't an issue with them, it was part of their lives. and God never spoke against it at any time.

When would you stop these filthy lies angry was it also part of the lives of the corithians, galatians, phillipians, ephesians, collosians, romans e.t.c as Apsotle Paul never bothered to teach these gentiles tithing. Even the hebrews that it was a part of there lives were asked to nullify the tithing law in the book of hebrews. That is apart from the fact the the type of tithes they practised then as no semblance to the fruadulent one being preached today.
Re: Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by Zikkyy(m): 10:19am On Feb 28, 2011
Joagbaje:

angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by Joagbaje(m): 11:05am On Feb 28, 2011
KunleOshob:

When would you stop these filthy lies angry was it also part of the lives of the corithians, galatians, phillipians, ephesians, collosians, romans e.t.c as Apsotle Paul never bothered to teach these gentiles tithing. Even the hebrews that it was a part of there lives were asked to nullify the tithing law in the book of hebrews. That is apart from the fact the the type of tithes they practised then as no semblance to the fruadulent one being preached today.

You yourself once gave me a link to prove to me that tithing was generally done by people in the Oriental times as a custom.
Re: Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by PastorAIO: 11:21am On Feb 28, 2011
KunleOshob:

What seems to be doing most anti-tithers is the matter of whether it is abolished or not. In my case that doesn't even bother me one little bit cos there are things in the old law that are still practiced (thou shalt not kill, not thief, not covet your neighbours wife etc).

The things that is doing me is the fact that what they are calling tithing is nothing at all like the original tithe. I'm a great believer in the spiritual efficacy of sharing a meal in a community. The Jewish did this when they tithed and the christians did this when they ate the lord's supper. This is a great principle which is being covered up by the tithing scandal that has swamped most 'christian churches'. This tin dey vex me o, no be small.
Re: Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 28, 2011
To put Christians under a burden of guilt is definitely not the will of GOD.

To request for tithes in church with the threat of a curse and God's wrath is not of GOD.

In fact I read an article a while back, where some brothers in Mexico had a vision of Christians in Hell because they did not pay their tithe. This is a lie and of the devil.

God wants us to rend our HEART and not our GARMENT.

What I have realized is that many Christians 'so called' are not quick to search the scriptures and find out themselves, they simply follow their false teachers and pastors into error.

", for wicked men live among My people. They watch like fowlers lying in wait.[I] They set a trap; they catch men. Like a cage full of birds, so their houses are full of deceit. Therefore they have grown powerful and rich. They have become fat and sleek. They have also excelled in evil matters. They have not taken up cases, such as the case of the fatherless, so they might prosper, and they have not defended the rights of the needy. Should I not punish them for these things? This is the Lord’s declaration. Should I not avenge Myself on such a nation as this?   A horrible, terrible thing has taken place in the land. The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule by their own authority. My people love it like this. But what will you do at the end of it? - Jeremiah 5:26-31
Re: Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by Joagbaje(m): 12:15pm On Feb 28, 2011
Pastor AIO:
.  This is a great principle which is being covered up by the tithing scandal that has swamped most 'christian churches'.  This tin dey vex me o, no be small. 

This language of yours and Kunle such as "scam" or "cover up". Makes tithing look as though it was faslesy created with an intent Like DaVinci code fictional story . You should remember you're dealing with people convictions in the word of God. I don't believe anyone at any time in history created a tithe idea. We do what we believe in. You should respect that. If you feel it is outdated and you are not convinced by it and so you don't do it, it's ok . Every man with his conviction. What you condemn is working for someone else. I was raised in the understanding from childhood. But beyond that I still study the objections to tithing and I've not seen any convincing evidence other wise . There was never a place where God spoke against tithing. Everyone should be convinced in his own mind.
Re: Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by PastorAIO: 1:16pm On Feb 28, 2011
Joagbaje:

This language of yours and Kunle such as "scam" or "cover up". Makes tithing look as though it was faslesy created with an intent Like DaVinci code fictional story . You should remember you're dealing with people convictions in the word of God. I don't believe anyone at any time in history created a tithe idea. We do what we believe in. You should respect that. If you feel it is outdated and you are not convinced by it and so you don't do it, it's ok . Every man with his conviction. What you condemn is working for someone else. I was raised in the understanding from childhood. But beyond that I still study the objections to tithing and I've not seen any convincing evidence other wise . There was never a place where God spoke against tithing. Everyone should be convinced in his own mind.

The word I used was scandal, not scam. And the fact is that it is a scandal. It is also a cover up because there is a true principle behind tithing which is sharing a communal meal with all about you. This is the great religious and spiritual principle that is practiced in in every corner of the globe, and it is being covered up.

When was the last time you came together with the members of your church to share a meal in Christ's name? Now, whether you practice this or not is your own business, it is not by force, but when you substitute it with another invented practice of fleecing the poor and gullible then it is my business.

I am appalled!!

What you call tithing is falsely created with an intent worse than DaVinci code fictional story. I don't care about your conceited convictions about the 'word of God'. I care that people should know that it is at best a conceit and at worst a scam. The tithe idea that you tell your muguns to practice was created. That's my whole point. The tithe that wasn't created is the sharing of a meal in God's presence.
Can you argue against that?

Can you tell me, and demonstrate to me that the tithe should be anything other than a meal that is shared within the whole community in the presence of God?

You can do what you believe in all you want, but I don't respect it. I find it contemptible.
Re: Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen by alexleo(m): 8:13am On Mar 01, 2011
@frosbel ,
how do you know that the testimony u talked about is a lie? And if you cross over to eternity and discover that it is true what will you do? It is good that we pay our title as christians. All this theories we are bringing is not neccessary. The problem i have is the way some of these churches go about it. Whats the big deal in giving God ten percent of your income?

(1) (Reply)

What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? / What Day Of The Week Was A Woman Created By God / Did Biblical Kings David And Solomon Actually Exist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.