Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago (2352 Views)

Third Mainland Bridge Will Be Reconstructed In 2024 – FG / Apapa-wharf Road That Dangote Reconstructed; See What Trailers Are Turning It To / The New & Yet-to-be Used Ikeja Bus Terminal Is Being Reconstructed (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Explorers(m): 8:30am On Sep 23, 2020
A 'mummy portrait' was found fixed on an ancient Egyptian casket that belonged to a young boy who died between 50 BC and 100 AD and researchers set out to see how accurate it is to his real face.

Using a CT scanner, the team uploaded a virtual construction of the child's skull, still inside the burial, to create a 3D digital reconstruction of his face.

The facial reconstruction image is fairly accurate to the original, but researchers note the painting makes the child look much older than his three or four-year-old self.

The boy was uncovered in the 1880s in a cemetery close to the pyramid of Hawara in Lower Egypt, near the Fayum region.

Pictured is the 'mummy portrait' that lays over the boy's embalmed face in the casket.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8757055/Face-Egyptian-boy-shown-mummy-portrait-reconstructed-using-CT-scanner.html?ito=social-facebook

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Explorers(m): 8:30am On Sep 23, 2020
Pictured is the 3D image researchers created after scanning the boy's skull.

The portrait shows the young boy with curly hair that has been braided into two strands that run along the edge of his forehead and back behind the ears.

His eyes were brown and he had a long, thin nose and small mouth of full lips.

The painting also shows him wearing a necklace with a medallion.

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Explorers(m): 8:31am On Sep 23, 2020
Mummy portraits were a common practice among some Egyptians during the Greco-Roman times, LiveScience reported.

The picture was placed over the embalmed face, a Roman tradition, while the rest of the body was wrapped in linen bandages that aligns with traditional ancient Egyptian burial ritual.

The study, published in PLOS ONE, notes that more than 1,000 mummies with portraits have been uncovered since they first discovered in 1887.

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Explorers(m): 8:32am On Sep 23, 2020
Using a CT scanner, the team uploaded a virtual construction of the child's skull to create a 3D digital reconstruction of his face.

Researchers started with the child's eyes and reconstructed them based on a mean eyeball diameter of 22 mm, adjusted to take into account the age of the individual.

They were then fitted in the sockets of the 3D skull.

1 Like

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Explorers(m): 8:34am On Sep 23, 2020
At the Egyptian Museum Munich where the mummy resides, they were able to determine the boy's age at death after analyzing the bones and tooth inside the bandages, along with cause of death still wrapped in the coffin.

The team suspects he died pneumonia after spotting 'residues of condensed lung tissue' on the CT scan.

They were also able to create a digital image of the boy's skull using the CT scanner.

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by rottennaija(m): 8:34am On Sep 23, 2020
It's impressive what technology can achieve. Things like these makes me wonder what would be achieved 300 years from today.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Explorers(m): 8:35am On Sep 23, 2020
Using ultrasound scans of soft tissue in living individuals close to the boy's age, about three to eight years old, the team was able to reconstruct the look of his face.

1 Like

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Explorers(m): 8:36am On Sep 23, 2020
WHAT IS A CT SCAN?

CT (Computerised Tomography) scan uses X-rays and a computer to create detailed images.

They are several single X-rays that create a 2-dimensional images of a 'slice' or section of the specimen/individual.

Although an X-ray creates a flat image, several can be combined to construct complex 3D images.

A CT scanner emits a series of narrow beams as it moves through an arc.

This is different from an X-ray machine, which sends just one radiation beam.

The CT scan produces a more detailed final picture than an X-ray image.

This data is transmitted to a computer, which builds up a 3-D cross-sectional picture of the part of the body and displays it on the screen.

CT scans are used to get an in-depth view of hard to reach places and are commonly used in human medicine.

They can be used to diagnose conditions to bones and internal organs as well as determining the size, location and shape of a tumour.

CT scans are also used to recreate images of extinct animals or to get in depth view of fragile archaeological remains.

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Eife(m): 8:38am On Sep 23, 2020
How I wish we could travel back to time and far into the future.

Just imagine going back to the past only to see your grandfather going after women instead of making money

9 Likes

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Mraphel: 8:39am On Sep 23, 2020
grin smiley
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Vyzz: 8:40am On Sep 23, 2020
cool
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by dynicks(m): 8:45am On Sep 23, 2020
And the government of Nigeria is still battling towards the completion of a single bridge that has spanned for over 8yrs +...

Kudos to the drive towards advances tech...
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by ThreeEyedRaven: 8:49am On Sep 23, 2020
Is this really necessary?
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by tillaman(m): 9:57am On Sep 23, 2020
Damn
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by konkonbilo(m): 10:19am On Sep 23, 2020
The same thing will be done to our dead body by some mad scientist in 100s of years to come.

1 Like

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by CAPSLOCKED: 10:21am On Sep 23, 2020
rottennaija:
It's impressive what technology can achieve. Things like these makes me wonder what would be achieved 300 years from today.

I BET YOU WISH TO BE AROUND THEN BUT YOU HAVE AT MOST 150 MORE YEARS TO LIVE. cheesy
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Explorers(m): 10:24am On Sep 23, 2020
konkonbilo:
The same thing will be done to our dead body by some mad scientist in 100s of years to come.

Let's say like a thousand or 2,000 years from now.

Our 2020 MB GClass, SClass, EClass, CClass, 2020 BMW 7Series, and 2020 Range Rover will be publicly displayed in a museum.

The robot kids then will be like, 'WTF, how were they (we, the Ancient, ancestors) able to controll this sh*t.

4 Likes

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by konkonbilo(m): 10:27am On Sep 23, 2020
Explorers:

Yeah.. There'll find your body as you popular well for nairaland and do some research on you grin cheesy
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Mindlog: 10:28am On Sep 23, 2020
Eife:

Just imagine going back to the past only to see your grandfather going after women instead of making money

And what would you do to him? cheesy

1 Like

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by rottennaija(m): 11:09am On Sep 23, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

I BET YOU WISH TO BE AROUND THEN BUT YOU HAVE AT MOST 150 MORE YEARS TO LIVE. cheesy

My dear, you have no idea
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by enomakos(m): 11:19am On Sep 23, 2020
Mindlog:

And what would you do to him? cheesy
i am waiting for his answer too
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by ednut1(m): 11:24am On Sep 23, 2020
But some claimed these Egyptians were black na

1 Like

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Nmezor(f): 12:34pm On Sep 23, 2020
cool
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by iamdannyfc(m): 12:54pm On Sep 23, 2020
Amazing

1 Like

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by JimmyDarmody: 2:01pm On Sep 23, 2020
rottennaija:
you know what? I was wondering the exact same thing this morning. I wondered if colored photography was invented just 100 years ago, then in a thousand years time there would be mind boggling inventions. We will wish we were alive in the future but we won't even be aware in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by JimmyDarmody: 2:06pm On Sep 23, 2020
Explorers:

Our 2020 MB GClass, SClass, 2020 BMW 7Series, and 2020 Range Rover will be publicly displayed in a museum.
Quite hilarious but absolutely true. This is why I encourage the search for intelligence in all spheres.

I believe that if a certain level of intelligence is attained to a great height in a field, the inventions that should take 500 years could be shortened to a year.

2 Likes

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by madridguy(m): 2:25pm On Sep 23, 2020
Nigeria government should start probing our universities for research funds they're getting annually with no tangible result.

1 Like

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by rottennaija(m): 4:47pm On Sep 23, 2020
JimmyDarmody:
you know what? I was wondering the exact same thing this morning. I wondered if colored photography was invented just 100 years ago, then in a thousand years time there would be mind boggling inventions. We will wish we were alive in the future but we won't even be aware in the first place.

Thats true
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 23, 2020
Eife:

I for over slap sense to his numb skull.
My grandpa was said to be a very handsome man, Las Las na him wife collect him eyes keep.
Don't ask me how, you should know how

1 Like

Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Beremx(f): 7:50pm On Sep 23, 2020
Front page lalasticlala
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by Sultty(m): 8:05am On Sep 24, 2020
smiley Nice
Re: CT Scanner Reconstructed Face Of Egyptian Boy Who Died Thousands Of Years Ago by tony5(m): 8:34pm On Sep 27, 2020
Educative, thank you mighty explorer

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Road Trip From Asaba To Chad (live Update). / Forgot To Print Online Nigerian Visa Application Form! Any Advice Please? / Review: Eko Hotel And Suites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.