Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,196 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? (20634 Views)

Bank Cleaner Job Or A Guest House Job: Which Is Better / 50 Million Naira Or Civil Service Job, Which One Will You Choose? / Edo State Civil Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment (37 Positions) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 24, 2020
Akinsete19:
Everyone will be shouting state job as if, it is a crime for him to work for few years and open his own business.
Please if you have no serious advise to give him just leave.
No be only open his own business.
Na so una go dey deceive innocent people.
Like say no be this Nigeria again.

2 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Slawormir: 12:55pm On Sep 24, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Ustec: 12:55pm On Sep 24, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by sweetyme001(f): 12:55pm On Sep 24, 2020
If this Coronavirus era didn't teach that fed or State work is better then nobody will.

5 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 24, 2020
Most states can owe 2 years Salary and you'll be living on loans and credit.

Workers in Multinationals are living fine but they work for their pay while most State civil service workers get paid for doing nothing.

If you intend to combine entrepreneurship with your job then go for the government job because of the job security and luxury of free time government jobs offer.

6 Likes

It's not even a choice to make. Just think how many years it will take you to earn that salary in the civil service.
After struggling to get a job with my state Government all in the name of getting experience, I abandoned it and took an internship with an iNGO in 2015. They paid me 100k every month. It doesn't sound much but for an intern? Then imagine how much they pay full staff. Finally think about the real life skills and experience you'll gain from the job, which you can use to apply for even better jobs in the future.
Multinational job all day

8 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by 9jatriot(m): 12:55pm On Sep 24, 2020
What's the dilemma here? Civil servant vs Multinational company (not chinesse, lebanese or Indian company) and you are sounding confused? Nothing confusing here.

However, US companies will hardly pay you 120k as salary, It should be more. Once you are sure it is not a phantom company, then you can have peace of mind.

SeedofAbraham:
Good morning Nairalanders,

I've been having sleepless night recently as I've been confused in decision making due to the fact that I'm not well experienced about Job matters.

I presently got an offer at a State Public Service with GL 8 Salary Scale of 63k+ monthly (though it's poor) but with a rest assured constant Promotion every 3 years subject to success in Promotion Exercise. There's also hope that in the next 18 years, I'll get to the Directorate levels (GL 15 - 17) where the Pay Structure seems better with Jumbo rise compared to the poor salary structure of GL 7 - 14... Meaning that I'll have to endure till then before enjoyment start coming. Please note that in addition to Promotion every 3 years, this State Public Service don't owe workers salary as they pay in due time as we all know that Public Service has Job Security. Also, I hope by God's Grace that I become a Permanent Secretary if I decide to choose this path while enduring the Salary (I can switch to Federal Parastatals if the Job Offer comes up later though).

On the other hand, I'm about to get a Full time Staff offer from a Multinational Company (Headquarter is based in the US) with more than 120k Salary for a start. There's Career growth and the chance of living comfortably & enjoying life is cool compared to the State Public Service in terms of Salary. We all know that Private Organisations can decide to lay off workers at any time as there's no Job Security. Also, I don't know if Multinational Companies usually lay off only Contract Staff or they can decide to lay off Permanent Staff as well... Though, the Multinational Company have a Pension Scheme for their Staff & didn't lay off workers during this COVID-19 Pandemic as they were operating during the lockdown since they provide essential services.

I wasn't born & brought up with a Silver Spoon and I never pray to struggle in life henceforth as Poverty must die. I'm a Second Class Upper graduate with proven abilities and outstanding performance as I'm a Problem Solver.

I need the assistance of experienced Nairalanders as your advice and point of views with detailed explanations will be highly appreciated.

3 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 24, 2020
You were born and brought up with a silver spoon and you are looking for a job all this nairaland nuisance self

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by otunbadan(m): 12:56pm On Sep 24, 2020
I for like yap you o .... but make I leave that one ... if it was me, I would go for the multinational. Reason being that you would be exposed and build a whole new network and forget the fear of being laid off because you fit dey jump ship with experience and networks built there.

This is my humble opinion sir/ma’am.

Civil service has something to offer but “caging” and locking you view on life is a “no no” for me.

4 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Josiahoba(m): 12:57pm On Sep 24, 2020
Government, because you will be collecting salary till you die

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Ustec: 12:57pm On Sep 24, 2020
solmus:
cool

Check out the life of staffs of the Muti national company and compare it to that of state civil service

Goto to the car park and see what they drive

Check their shoes and wristwatches

Walk in to their offices and see who begs you for money

undecided
You know nothing

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Jesterfly: 12:57pm On Sep 24, 2020
Baba chose the multinational job anyday anytime. If you do well there and prove your mettle, you could be made head of a unit, the favors that come with such position is excess; is it overseas training, house/car benefits, access to loans in millions, etc. What you'll achieve with the multinational in 2 years, you can't achieve that with the civil service job in 15yrs.
At the end of the day, the choice is yours to make.

4 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Nwaotu10(m): 12:58pm On Sep 24, 2020
Multinational.

Work, save up some money, establish a business, employ workers and continue with the multinational company job.

Don't wait till 18 years to start enjoying life.
Life's is too short!!

8 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by solmus: 12:58pm On Sep 24, 2020
Ustec:

undecided
You know nothing

Ok
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Hollysaint: 12:58pm On Sep 24, 2020
Make the money.Go to multi national company get the money save and investment in bussiness to have alternative
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Akinsete19(m): 12:59pm On Sep 24, 2020
Rgade:

Please if you have no serious advise to give him just leave.
No be only open his own business.
Na so una go dey deceive innocent people.
Like say no be this Nigeria again.
please, I know what i am saying. I have work in Lagos state civil service before. It only look like a great place to work in your eyes because you are an outsider. Those working there are also looking for a better opportunity.

3 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by famouscargo4u: 12:59pm On Sep 24, 2020
Well, you have to weigh your options well, there are some civil service jobs with low pay but tips that quadruple your salary. meanwhile, if you are concerned about your career and future prospect on the the job, you should consider the MNC job.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by HONESTY4U: 1:00pm On Sep 24, 2020
Rgade:
lipsrsealed

Go for the multinational, take the risk and be good in your job. You have a better chance to make far more money than in state service within ta short period. Don't be scared of been layed off, you can transfer your work experience gained and land another better job.

I wish you success in your endeavor.

3 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by sinkhole: 1:00pm On Sep 24, 2020
SeedofAbraham:

I've been having sleepless night recently as I've been confused in decision making due to the fact that I'm not well experienced about Job matters.

I presently got an offer at a State Public Service with GL 8 Salary Scale of 63k+ monthly (though it's poor) but with a rest assured constant Promotion every 3 years subject to success in Promotion Exercise. There's also hope that in the next 18 years, I'll get to the Directorate levels (GL 15 - 17) where the Pay Structure seems better with Jumbo rise compared to the poor salary structure of GL 7 - 14... Meaning that I'll have to endure till then before enjoyment start coming. Please note that in addition to Promotion every 3 years, this State Public Service don't owe workers salary as they pay in due time as we all know that Public Service has Job Security. Also, I hope by God's Grace that I become a Permanent Secretary if I decide to choose this path while enduring the Salary (I can switch to Federal Parastatals if the Job Offer comes up later though).

On the other hand, I'm about to get a Full time Staff offer from a Multinational Company (Headquarter is based in the US) with more than 120k Salary for a start. There's Career growth and the chance of living comfortably & enjoying life is cool compared to the State Public Service in terms of Salary. We all know that Private Organisations can decide to lay off workers at any time as there's no Job Security. Also, I don't know if Multinational Companies usually lay off only Contract Staff or they can decide to lay off Permanent Staff as well... Though, the Multinational Company have a Pension Scheme for their Staff & didn't lay off workers during this COVID-19 Pandemic as they were operating during the lockdown since they provide essential services.

I wasn't born & brought up with a Silver Spoon and I never pray to struggle in life henceforth as Poverty must die. I'm a Second Class Upper graduate with proven abilities and outstanding performance as I'm a Problem Solver.

I need the assistance of experienced Nairalanders as your advice and point of views with detailed explanations will be highly appreciated.
Bros, take multinational, no dulling o.
As somebody said, if you take state job, you're a dead meat, a rotten dead meat, that is what you are embarassed

2 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Creamz(m): 1:00pm On Sep 24, 2020
I had the same option some time ago and I chose the state job. One of my old uncle had the same option while he was young. Took the construction company from Italy with huge pay, left the civil service, today he has no pension and he is almost struggling and would be totally broke if not for the children!

2 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Bbbwings: 1:01pm On Sep 24, 2020
I don tire for this state job 200k.
I can't do this for the next thirty years. This job ain't fulfilling.

I wan go Canada
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by FUTURE20(m): 1:01pm On Sep 24, 2020
Depending on what you really want.
if you want steady income and job security, then choose the state civil service.
If you can save and invest wisely then the multinational.

2 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by DonTattaglia: 1:02pm On Sep 24, 2020
Government job any day anywhere..Guy u go flex with relaxed mind & secured future..Enough time to do other runs like business, school, family etc. It's a ladder progress and bigger exposure.. Multinational is not a future guarantee. Them go use u well well. No time for even urself.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by HONESTY4U: 1:02pm On Sep 24, 2020
SeedofAbraham:

Go for the multinational, take the risk and be good in your job. You have a better chance to make far more money than in state service within ta short period. Don't be scared of been layed off, you can transfer your work experience gained and land another better job.

I wish you success in your endeavor.

3 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by sinkhole: 1:04pm On Sep 24, 2020
Creamz:
I had the same option some time ago and I chose the state job. One of my old uncle had the same option while he was young. Took the construction company from Italy with huge pay, left the civil service, today he has no pension and he is almost struggling and would be totally broke if not for the children!
this company pays pension and he is not being employed on contract!

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by doctuw(m): 1:04pm On Sep 24, 2020
Your problem solving skills will end on that day that you join the civil service. If you are truly a problem solver, you shouldn't fear to look into the future.

3 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by LikeAking: 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2020
you no get ploblem.

go for multinational job.

But you must learn how to save,becos their will be no pension for you in old age.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Youngzedd(m): 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2020
Dirkcoyt:
Irony of a proven problem solver indeed when you lack decision making skills of something as basic as this offer .grin

Inside 9ja

He's just as confused as an average Nigerian graduate that doesn't know what they want in life.

2 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Structuralman: 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2020
Have a tete a tete with some of the workers in the multi national. Secondly go to www.glassdoor.com and research the multi national before taking a final decision. Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by sammieguze(m): 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2020
What exactly do you want in life in terms of future goals
Do you have any entrepreneurial skills or probability of wanting to start something of your own in the future?
Are you the type that s contented with living under the radar and risk aversed?
Are there other pecuniary benefits attached to the civil service job where you can make extra money?

If you are the goal getter/risk taker with great prospects who plan to actually make it big, kindly go for the multinational coy.
You get to work and meet great minded people who would provide solutions to a myriad of problems where you can benefit from. even if you are laid off due to whatever reason, you would still have great prospects at getting another job considering where(the organisation) you are coming from.

If however you are the unambitious type who just wants to take life as it comes or you probably just want to stay below the radar, go for the civil service job.

However, bear in mind that you can achieve what you would take you 18 years in civil service in just 10 years working with a multi national company.

Laslas, pray and ask God for dorection.

SeedofAbraham:

2 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by tot(f): 1:06pm On Sep 24, 2020
Creamz:

What did he do with the huge pay? No investments? I think the accountability lies with him here, not necessarily the company. I also find it strange such a company does not have a pension scheme.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by perpeling22(f): 1:07pm On Sep 24, 2020
Op! They are even confusing you the more. Go for state civil service. No!...go for multinational. Na which one you go take now. Look for someone working with multinational company and do your findings.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Long Have You Been Searching For A Job Now? / Why Only Great ‘toasters’ Get The Best Jobs In Nigeria / My Job Hunt Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.