Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,591 members, 7,820,122 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? (16877 Views)

How To Make An Extra 75k Selling Data Bundles To Rich Nigerian Companies. / Why Is Adsense The Only Revenue Model For Nigerian Bloggers? / Shopify Payment Gateway For Nigerian Dropshippers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by zinosleek(m): 4:59pm On Dec 12, 2021
MrMexx:
OP just try upwork and see what's sup first, you will see how easy it is ���

As a freelancer I have not been able to succeed on Upwork. Don't know what I am doing wrong. But it's not just working for me.
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by Powersurge: 6:07pm On Dec 12, 2021
SmartPolician:
Hi Webmasters,

I felt like creating this post because I grasp how powerful the internet is. In clear terms, the Internet transcends all geographic borders, ushering people into a world of endless opportunities.

Given how the internet allows us to work from home, work for foreign companies and earn juicy pays, I want to know why some of us are not taking the opportunities yet.

For instance, excellent coders, digital marketers, graphics artists, web developers, content writers, and many other talented people who sell digital skills ought to be working for foreign companies from home instead of working for Nigerian firms for peanuts.

So, do you fall into this category? If yes, why do you prefer working for Nigerian firms as opposed to firms based out of the United States or elsewhere in the world for better pay, opportunities and exposure?

On the other hand, if you do work for these foreign companies on full-time or part-time basis, how did you land the job?

I am a data analyst. U have applied to a couple of foreign companies. Rejection mails so far.
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by motymop: 6:27pm On Dec 12, 2021
Harnny:
You guys always forget you have one advantage over these guys. The only good thing colonialism did to us.... English language. That shit gives us an edge man.

You mean English, the language which every freelancer all over the world speaks And write properly.
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by danchuzzy(m): 6:38pm On Dec 12, 2021
sirblend:

All these sites you mentioned above are already overcrowded with the Indians, Pakistans, Bangledasians, Nigerians.
In fact the gigs on these sites are far less than the gig seekers.

Nothing good comes easy my man! Everywhere is overcrowded. The competition is everywhere and it's hot!

Maybe you should try "cold calling/mailing" companies overseas!

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by danchuzzy(m): 6:39pm On Dec 12, 2021
motymop:

You mean English, the language which every freelancer all over the world speaks And write properly.

Lol. People with terrible English freelance. I mean horrible horrible English probably using Google translate. We are blessed. We just don't have regular power and stable internet connection!
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by danchuzzy(m): 6:41pm On Dec 12, 2021
Powersurge:

I am a data analyst. U have applied to a couple of foreign companies. Rejection mails so far.

Keep applying. Don't stop and make sure you have a good portfolio of projects completed.

You don't know the door you'd knock on that's already open. grin
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by danchuzzy(m): 6:42pm On Dec 12, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:
These are freelancing sites.
What they mean is foreign job sites where they can apply for foreign jobs

You have some? Name them. I've named mine. I actually have some foreign job sites. But they are specifically for IT persons. I dunno were I placed them. I'd check for them again and update my list.
Prolly mention you cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by danchuzzy(m): 6:43pm On Dec 12, 2021
kponkedenge:

I was using peopleperhour before.... I'll check the others out as well.

You should. Godspeed
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by InoGetJoy: 7:21pm On Dec 12, 2021
CSTRR:
Though I know someone that works for 3 Dubai based companies right from Nigeria.

As a front end, backend a friend mobile developer.

The guy is balling as fucckkkk.

Though he is very very very competent.
Some people won't hire you if you're Nigerian. I experienced it when I lost a project of almost 17M naira because I'm Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by Roysnickz: 7:39pm On Dec 12, 2021
HenryDion:
It's been years since I worked with a Nigerian client.

They pay peanuts.

My clients now consist of foreigners, and the dollar can be intoxicating I must say.

Mouth-watering!

What I make writing 100 articles for a Nigerian client, I make the same writing just two articles for a foreign client.

No be juju be that?
That's great can you give me the connect?
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by vheckthor1: 8:12pm On Dec 12, 2021
bb6xt:

I left Nigeria in 2019 to join a start up in Berlin as a Lead Backend Engineer. At the time I joined I was the first and only black person in the company but by the time I left in October 2021 they had hired 3 more black engineers and everyone of them was Nigerian.

Delivery Heroes (DH) in Berlin is one company that is known to have many Nigerian engineers. There are many such companies here in Germany. Companies only care about their bottom line and if they've hired a great engineer from a particular demographic they are more likely to hire more from that demographic. Most companies would ask their engineers for recommendations when hiring.

It use to be that due to Nigeria's bad rap on internet scams, payment related companies were reluctant to hire Nigerian but that is no longer true as I know Nigerians working in Wise and N26.

Nigerian engineers are doing pretty well in Berlin because many that came ahead have proven their value which makes it easier to get hired especially if you do well in interviews.

As for links, personally I got my first job that brought me to Berlin through talent.io. I got my current job via LinkedIn. Greenhouse.io and indeed.com are some options too. A friend who has been in Berlin now for over 3 years got her first job by applying to companies on the who's hiring thread on hacker news (news.ycombinator.com).

In summary:
1. Foreigners don't trust Nigerians: False
2. People will tell you blah: I just listed some sites above
3. After struggling a while...: Nothing good comes easy. Hone your skills. Fortune favors the prepared
4. Our name has spoil...: Bullshit! Just as scammers and drug dealers have spoiled our name overtime a new crop of hardworking, talented and driven Nigerians are undoing the damage done one heart at a time, one company at a time. Be that person that will help make things easier for other Nigerians after you.
Hello bro, can I mail you ?
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by olamidedivotee(f): 9:12pm On Dec 12, 2021
maak400:
I believe it's due to lack of information. Most web designers, digital marketers and other IT guys don't know how to get this foreign firms to work with. I am an experienced web designer and digital marketer who works for a Nigerian company that pays peanut, I would like to know how to get foreign remote jobs.
Please can you teach me how to be a digital marketer.
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by maak400: 10:13pm On Dec 12, 2021
olamidedivotee:

Please can you teach me how to be a digital marketer.
It's easier and faster to learn with YouTube videos, that's how I learnt it to. Just go to YouTube and search for digital marketing training for beginners.
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by Powersurge: 8:52am On Dec 13, 2021
danchuzzy:

Keep applying. Don't stop and make sure you have a good portfolio of projects completed.

You don't know the door you'd knock on that's already open. grin

Hmmmm
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by danchuzzy(m): 2:05pm On Dec 13, 2021
Powersurge:

Hmmmm

grin grin grin
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by olamidedivotee(f): 2:33pm On Dec 13, 2021
maak400:

It's easier and faster to learn with YouTube videos, that's how I learnt it to. Just go to YouTube and search for digital marketing training for beginners.

Thanks
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by WorriorPlus: 5:14pm On Dec 13, 2021
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by Mide3367: 8:18pm On Aug 25, 2022
benzics:

On upwork you can get paid through PayPal. But I work full time with this company, not through upwork, so I get paid through western union directly to my dom account.
use grey acct next time..
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by Mide3367: 8:20pm On Aug 25, 2022
danchuzzy:

You have some? Name them. I've named mine. I actually have some foreign job sites. But they are specifically for IT persons. I dunno were I placed them. I'd check for them again and update my list.
Prolly mention you cool
quote me too please
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by Truthday: 5:52pm On Aug 27, 2022
benzics:
I currently work with a Canadian company as a codeigniter developer, and I’ve seen job postings in the past from Nigerian companies, the pay is just not worth it.

And I just recently got admitted into the University (a 100level student working a 9 - 5 EST grin ), most of these job postings from Nigerian companies will ask you for certificates, I just don’t bother applying for them, this is my 6th year as an active web dev.

On how I got this job, it was true upwork. Be sure to have portfolios, projects you started and seen through to the end that is relevant in your field. Mine were e-commerce websites, MLM softwares etc.

Hi. I just sent you a message
Re: Why Do You Still Work For Nigerian Companies? by iamwebguru: 4:44pm On Dec 09, 2022
Transitioning into tech is one step at a time, you need to start from somewhere and later move to another.

But the most important thing is when you start from somewhere you already had the technical background.

If you're really serious and you know what you're doing, have prepared a basic web design course for total beginners.

This course will take you from beginner level to become a professional website designer in 4 weeks for free?

This is absolutely insane. You’ll never see anything like this anywhere in the world.

Having a relevant skill will always put you miles ahead of people who don’t.

Imagine learning a skill like website design. You can live in Auchi and your skill will be useful to companies in Australia and Canada.

That’s because such skills are borderless. You can apply them in any part of the world and make good money.

You can work from anywhere and never have to worry about waking up early to prepare for work or get stressed out by traffic.

With such relevant skills, you can live anywhere in Nigeria and earn good money in dollars because you offered your skill to a company in Mexico.

I understand that learning how to build a website may be expensive, but what if you can learn from one of the very best at a super affordable rate?

For free you can become a professional website designer in less than 4 weeks.

This detailed video course will hold your hand and teach you everything you need to know step-by-step about designing quality websites.

In this course, you will learn how to design quality and excellent websites from start to finish.

All for free.

This offer will only be available for a limited time.

So if I were you, I’ll grab the offer right away with both hands.

Get started by clicking on this link https://learndigitalskillz.com/wd-course-optin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Developing A Sports Betting Site And What It Entails / Help, My Xampp Is Not Showing My Projects On Localhost / Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.