Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,350 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma (350 Views)

This Is For Those Who Actually Think That The US Presidential Election Is Over. / 6 And 7 Book Of Moses- See Who Actually Wrote The Mythical Books Of Moses / Captain Tijani Balarabe ‘Proceeds On Course’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by Tunjingwu(m): 6:37pm On Sep 28, 2020
Again I ran into them.

Today.

These men on light brown on red.

In truth,they are the Lagos police on the road.

They are to control traffic originally.

That was actually their job's specification.

Or it's what we were meant to believe.

But I suffered today in their hands.

For the lightest of offences.

My Monday was rubbished almost beyond repair.

In the hands of these 'demi gods'.

In the process I was exposed to broad day bribery .

I saw first hand how 'these things' work in my country.

I equally saw how language can make a difference.

Nepotism if you wish.

This is my story and experience today.

Lagos!

They showed me no mercy.

I had driven from Ajah towards CMS with a friend.

He had told me he would alight at CMS on top of the bridge inward costain.

It was all smooth until we approached the bridge

Knowing their antics,I applied my break to ask whether my friend can actually alight there seeing the yellow buses dropping off their passengers.

Two shabbily dressed and dangerously looking men hopped into the car in a manner you will want to agree they were perfectly trained for it.

I innocently asked them 'please can my friend alight here?he is going to the market.'

They smiled and disengaged my gear.

I have been arrested for wrong parking.

I said 'I have only slowed down to inquire from you whether he can alight as the yellow buses are dropping off their passengers'

They won't take it from me again.
The female among them standing by the roadside and obviously working with them started taking snap shots of my vehicle.

I was ordered to stay at the passenger's side.

I obeyed and the journey started.

In 20minutes we are at a garage at Sura .

Call it a Dane if you wish.

I saw young Nigerians being robbed of their monies.

Many of them Uber drivers.

Within my one hour stay,more than 30 cars have been discharged and more than 40 cars impounded.

As any car leaves,I was probing to know each person's offence and how much that got him off the hook.

Wrong parking, dropping off where yellow buses are doing so, picking a passenger from Infront of her house etc.

They threaten to issue a ticket of 50k to be paid in bank in honour of the state government.
Of course,most people prefer to pay bribes
The lowest I heard was 10k.

They kept collecting it and kept bringing in more vehicles.

I cringed.

I wept.

I kept my cool.

There is this young man who said he would not pay a dime.

He begged and begged and begged in Yoruba language.
I kept watching.
Few minutes latter,he drove out.

And I asked.

'How did it happened'

Egbon has shown mercy.

I waited for some time.

And approached him(Egbon).
He swore to issue me a ticket.

Should I come close to him again.
I don't have a good mastery of the Yoruba language but I tried.

It never worked .

I sighted one of them with three stars.

I approached him with my story.
He listened with rapt attention.

Invited the officer that arrested me and probed to know whether my story was concocted.

It was not.

He ordered that I leave with my car.

On my way I thought of the humongous amount these guys make here everyday.

From private car owners.
Uber and bolt drivers.

I asked.

'Who do they render account to?'

Lagos!
Nigeria!
Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by Beblessedbaba: 6:09am On Sep 29, 2020
This is a front page material @lala

Pls help
Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by colorsofrainbow: 6:13am On Sep 29, 2020
Are u just coming from mars?
Anyways welcome to Nigeria. Here is the father of Lagosiansgrin

1 Like

Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by austinsmat(m): 6:37am On Sep 29, 2020
One of the reasons I hate lagos,
Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by OlujobaSamuel: 6:49am On Sep 29, 2020
I had similar experience, I've been sending a reminder in respect to my complaint, but they have not responded.
And Lalasticlala and Mynd44 no wan gree push am to fp maybe because it's not a trend on media platform.
https://www.nairaland.com/6130207/experience-lastma-official-igando
Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by OlujobaSamuel: 6:57am On Sep 29, 2020
Op, it's not just about the tribe, the person that stopped us is a yoruba, wẹ (3) the occupants of the vehicle are Yoruba, yet it doesn't stop them.
He collected #5200 before releasing the vehicle. I and my friend told him point blank that if not for my dad that is present with us and also the driver of the vehicle, he would be going home with a broken leg that day.
The idiot when asked where the vehicle should have stopped for a pick up, he said we ought to stop by the road side and not the lay-by because the lay-by is for only brt, I asked if he is familiar with ikotun, Berger or Iyana-oworo lay-by, where vehicles stop for pickup or drop off, he was just blabbing.
I asked what is the best decision if we had a breakdown, middle of the road or off the road, he couldn't answer.
Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by helinues: 6:59am On Sep 29, 2020
Oga at the above.

Abi who are the SARS remitting to?
Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by juvewalex(m): 7:22am On Sep 29, 2020
They take 30% and remit 70% to state government that does nothing with it but to cater for their cronies ,drive around Lagos and see how messed up both major and inner roads are with touts everywhere.

It's so annoying how those guys arras people as a lot of them are illiterates with no courtesy.
Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by BREYZ: 7:41am On Sep 29, 2020
Baba Isale
Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by Finnese001: 8:09am On Sep 29, 2020
Inside this bullion vans grin cheesy

Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by Mace0lane: 8:26am On Sep 29, 2020
The problem with bigoted Igbos like you is that you seek a just system out of an unjust nation. The same you that is complaining about lasma because all are Yorubas will be the ones defending them if they were Igbos so there is actually no point wasting time on this your wail of agony.

Tunjingwu:
Again I ran into them.

Today.

These men on light brown on red.

In truth,they are the Lagos police on the road.

They are to control traffic originally.

That was actually their job's specification.

Or it's what we were meant to believe.

But I suffered today in their hands.

For the lightest of offences.

My Monday was rubbished almost beyond repair.

In the hands of these 'demi gods'.

In the process I was exposed to broad day bribery .

I saw first hand how 'these things' work in my country.

I equally saw how language can make a difference.

Nepotism if you wish.

This is my story and experience today.

Lagos!

They showed me no mercy.

I had driven from Ajah towards CMS with a friend.

He had told me he would alight at CMS on top of the bridge inward costain.

It was all smooth until we approached the bridge

Knowing their antics,I applied my break to ask whether my friend can actually alight there seeing the yellow buses dropping off their passengers.

Two shabbily dressed and dangerously looking men hopped into the car in a manner you will want to agree they were perfectly trained for it.

I innocently asked them 'please can my friend alight here?he is going to the market.'

They smiled and disengaged my gear.

I have been arrested for wrong parking.

I said 'I have only slowed down to inquire from you whether he can alight as the yellow buses are dropping off their passengers'

They won't take it from me again.
The female among them standing by the roadside and obviously working with them started taking snap shots of my vehicle.

I was ordered to stay at the passenger's side.

I obeyed and the journey started.

In 20minutes we are at a garage at Sura .

Call it a Dane if you wish.

I saw young Nigerians being robbed of their monies.

Many of them Uber drivers.

Within my one hour stay,more than 30 cars have been discharged and more than 40 cars impounded.

As any car leaves,I was probing to know each person's offence and how much that got him off the hook.

Wrong parking, dropping off where yellow buses are doing so, picking a passenger from Infront of her house etc.

They threaten to issue a ticket of 50k to be paid in bank in honour of the state government.
Of course,most people prefer to pay bribes
The lowest I heard was 10k.

They kept collecting it and kept bringing in more vehicles.

I cringed.

I wept.

I kept my cool.

There is this young man who said he would not pay a dime.

He begged and begged and begged in Yoruba language.
I kept watching.
Few minutes latter,he drove out.

And I asked.

'How did it happened'

Egbon has shown mercy.

I waited for some time.

And approached him(Egbon).
He swore to issue me a ticket.

Should I come close to him again.
I don't have a good mastery of the Yoruba language but I tried.

It never worked .

I sighted one of them with three stars.

I approached him with my story.
He listened with rapt attention.

Invited the officer that arrested me and probed to know whether my story was concocted.

It was not.

He ordered that I leave with my car.

On my way I thought of the humongous amount these guys make here everyday.

From private car owners.
Uber and bolt drivers.

I asked.

'Who do they render account to?'

Lagos!
Nigeria!
Re: Who Actually Takes The Proceeds From These Lastma by Ajibel(m): 9:02am On Sep 29, 2020
The problem with Lastma now is that the LASG wants their MDAs to be self-sustaining which means agencies like Lastma are not expected to rely on government subventions. Therefore, their officers now find every means to charge road traffic defaulters.

I think LASG should instead cater for the expenses of Lastma

(1) (Reply)

#endsars : Nigeria Gained Her Independence In October 2020 - Agina Gideon / Where Is NCDC And Covid-19 / New Video: #endsars Movement Becomes #endsarsrevolution - Burna Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.