Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed (3660 Views)

On Schooling And Working In America / Romantic Relationship In Between Schooling And One’s Occupation / "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Jackossky(m): 10:14pm On Sep 30, 2020
Why not teach your younger one or someone you trust? He manages the business for you while you are away though he/ she will take a big chunk, however, when you are done with school, you can focus on it big time.

Look at it this way, you got this idea in school, wonder how many ideas are still hidden in school? You have a quantum source to tap knowledge from, don't lose it over small wins.

1 Like

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by OGWILLS123: 11:20pm On Sep 30, 2020
Emarvel:

Have you forgotten so soon that you got the same information through school?
Imagine if you weren't in class that day, will you be thinking of that aspect of farming?
If schooling wasn't important, then our politicians and big biz men around, would have asked their children not never to enter any institution.
School gives you an edge above your peers.
What an illiterate can do, when a literate do it, he does it BETTER
Damm nigar ! ! angry
Nigeria is disappointed at you
At your standard you don't know who is an illiterate
your think going to school makes you a literate undecided
if I take you to a field you don't know anything about it means you are an
illiterate in that field.

Modified : let this sink into your skull
An illiterate is not someone that did not go to school

1 Like

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Freemason1: 11:39pm On Sep 30, 2020
Teach your mother the farming. Let her quit the teaching job and focus on the farm. She will earn more and support you more. When you graduate, go into it with full force. NYSC can surely wait. That one is a big waste of time.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by hstar: 12:10am On Oct 01, 2020
Good inputs
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Emmypure: 1:24am On Oct 01, 2020
open a go fundme account
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by LadySarah: 4:39am On Oct 01, 2020
Olusegun345:
Thank you so much for this advice, I sincerely appreciate
Pls inform the lecturer too and maybe he will have advice for you.
Your mum and siblings should be able to tend to it while you are at school.
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Ayilara1(m): 6:12am On Oct 01, 2020
Olusegun345:

Thanks dear,
I appreciate

Hey bro, please can I have your Whatsapp number?
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 6:29am On Oct 01, 2020
Emarvel:

Have you forgotten so soon that you got the same information through school?
Imagine if you weren't in class that day, will you be thinking of that aspect of farming?
If schooling wasn't important, then our politicians and big biz men around, would have asked their children not never to enter any institution.
School gives you an edge above your peers.
What an illiterate can do, when a literate do it, he does it BETTER
You made valid points, thanks
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 6:30am On Oct 01, 2020
Jackossky:
Why not teach your younger one or someone you trust? He manages the business for you while you are away though he/ she will take a big chunk, however, when you are done with school, you can focus on it big time.

Look at it this way, you got this idea in school, wonder how many ideas are still hidden in school? You have a quantum source to tap knowledge from, don't lose it over small wins.

Thanks man
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 6:32am On Oct 01, 2020
sreamsense:
Is better for you to focus your attention on your education first at the moment. Is good as you discovered planB that can fetch you money, after your education, you can focus on it or during your holidays when you travel home. Try to document everything you know so far in text, images and video so you will not forget when you come back to it. You will have enough time to practice your farming after your graduation, but opportunity may never come your way again to get admission or academic certificates you have long suffered for .

Take your mind off from that farming for now or till school holidays if you don't want to be affected academically. Engineering needs full concentration to obtain good GP, it is a deceit of the mind for you to drop your education near end to farming planB. What of if other challenges come up in farming and therefore unable to achieve your target goals, then, regret and depression will come in. You can look into other areas that are combinable with academic to make extra income for you education.

You can go into tutorial by teaching younger classes to raise money, look for buying and selling things for your classmates and other schools, technical writing/project or source for expert at commission. And if your mother or someone you trust can help you manage the farm better, you can keep giving them instruction from school by sending video/images of farm activities, but never allow it to get into your head to avoid graduating with poor grades.

Dropping out of school for now is never a solution, endure till the end with good grade before going back to your planB

Wow, you are full of ideas, thanks for your suggestions
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 6:33am On Oct 01, 2020
CHRISTIANJEEH:
my fellow soaring eagle, I will advice you to know that it's very possible for you to have both goals achieved simultaneously. all of us knows that farming pays these days but you have really gone too far to quit.
everything in this life is possible if you carefully plan them. I know that schooling without much support especially in FUNAI is not funny but I will advice you to make arrangements on how to do the business in partnership with others even if you you get little return at the end of each harvest
I will even like to see you when we resume ,we can search for land nearby and reach some agreements ,you can pay after farming (with God it is possible)
but I will advice you to meet your relatives and your mum to be doing the business, maybe you will be visiting monthly,you just need to teach them everything they need to know about the business. after all life is all about sacrifice, that certificate might fetch you a job tomorrow that will buy a million hectares of land tomorrow . God bless you @your fellow "soaring eagle"
Really, nice to hear
Have already sent a mail
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by galantjoe(m): 7:09am On Oct 01, 2020
If I may advice you
1st option. Rent land in nearby university, alike ikwo has a lot of arable lands for farming, or probably rent land from your school department of agriculture. I strongly hope you will get one. You start ur farming around your sch. It will be easy to be schooling and farming. Don't waste your mom hard earned money. Mechanical engineering is another self employed course.

2nd option. Write to university registrar for deferment of your academic for some years. It will enable u to focus on your farming for now and when u re ready to resume your sch, you can start from where u stop.
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by hakeemhakeem(m): 7:11am On Oct 01, 2020
Why not open this channel to your mum cucumber and watermelon farming aren't stressful like that it better than 15k
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 7:49am On Oct 01, 2020
Ayilara1:

Hey bro, please can I have your Whatsapp number?
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by ublight: 8:34am On Oct 01, 2020
Tribers:
I won't advice you to quit school but let's be sincere good mindset and focus also boost business if you are committed with your farming school doesn't cut it , you can make the money and go back to school , me for example I make up to 60k - 80k plus monthly I don't sleep at night and it's affect my reading but I don't have choice been sincere with you because if i don't work I won't pay for my school and my grades are dropping but I rather focus on my online business than quitting it for education in this country (so think and pray and let's your free mind guide you) you know the answer to your question you don't need advice you need to trust your gut and challenge your self if you are going to be a farmer set a target I want to make 100k in the next 2 month and make sure you achieve something close or higher and if you want to continue your school make it count also

boss which online biz is dis?
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by KNOWMORE56: 8:37am On Oct 01, 2020
Olusegun345:
Hello nairalanders
I need freethinkers on this forum to help make the best decision on what do do and the right steps to take, by reading in-between lines of my few points below.

Am a student of AE-Funai, and 21 years of age (I think this introduction is enough)
Here comes the points
Around January this year 2020, during one of my ENT 301(entrepreneurship) classes,I was able to pick a vital point, when the lecturer way pointing out the importance of Agriculture and the told us how he normally grow cucumber & watermelon, and he made alot of money from it.
I was motivated and that same day, I met him and requested for for information on the crops, which he gave me and asked me to visit a company by name Thai Agro based in Imo state.
I did some Google search on cucumber farming, quora actually taught me things, but it wasn't enough.
During this covid-19 pandemic break before the interstate lockdown Thai Agro organized a free tutorial program for young farmers called KUCH-99, which I attended and I was well trained and tutored on cucumber & watermelon farming
Now here is the problem to solve, which is truncating my studies and focusing on Agriculture.

I recently practiced cucumber farming three months ago ( June) ,I made around 25-30k (a small farm),
Am in 300l mechatronics engineering, still two more years to go and additional one year NYSC( altogether 3 yrs)
I lost my dad in 2015, since then school has been difficult, mom is a teacher in private school and her pay is less than 15k per month.
And am planning on taking this farming steps, because of the following reasons
1).. Am seeing it as a recreative business
2) I thought of farming and schooling at the same time, but the distance is too far, traveling from Alike Ikwo in ebonyi state (my school) to Ejule in kogi state my hometown (and where am planning to expand the farm) every weekend

3) cucumber is a perishable goods needed to be harvested every four to five days or else it rippens and also requires daily monitoring and direction of stem after staking , meaning I must be around.

4) I had thoughts of hiring land near the school, where I can grow the crops, haven't seen any. Also planned on begging the VC for few Hector's of land inside school since he is from faculty of Agriculture (but I don't see that being possible anyway)

5) paying school fees has been difficult for my mom, in-fact some of my 300l academic session fee's are still outstanding (not talking of engineering parents Levi)
With those few points I believe it's better for me to drop-off ,at least I have been to university and can write and speak fluently.
As to reducing the burden on my mom's shoulder, so she can focus on my other siblings, as for now this pandemic has been hell for us, because the proprietor of her haven't paid them for (march to July) salary because student's are not in school and situation might get worse when federal tertiary institutions resume and we start demanding for outstanding fees, not just now what of 400l and 500l?
Help me think about this and drop your suggestions on the comment box, but for me I think the odd for for me truncating my schooling is 70% , should have started preparing for it but I recently came across a post by Richdad50 that says "Life is the consequence of a series of choices you make. If you make good choices, you wont have a bad life. If you make bad choices, you cant have a good life. Take as long as you need to make your decisions. Dont be rushed, because you’ll live with the consequence"
So I needed for minds in other not to live with regret.

This is my life story,so don't comment rubbish
Mature minds please
@Richiez help get this to front page I beg.

My own advice on this is taken from Matthew 23:23 the last part of it.

KJV:Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: THESE OUGHT YE TO HAVE DONE, AND NOT TO LEAVE THE OTHER UNDONE.

in summary, finish your school before you go into FULL farming business.

You can be doing the farming small small for now.

Get you younger one that will help you, when you are through, make sure you help him also.
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Djamel(m): 9:47am On Oct 01, 2020
Finish schooling
Then you can go into farming full time.
You are almost there.... 3years from now, you'd be glad you finished.
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Raylight2(m): 10:29am On Oct 01, 2020
Jackossky:

Good point here.

the paints manufacturing I do today, I learnt it from school(undergraduate). the money to set it up big time will come from scholarship from education.(postgraduate)

School no be scam
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by strangest(m): 10:59am On Oct 01, 2020
Olusegun345:
Hello nairalanders
I need freethinkers on this forum to help make the best decision on what do do and the right steps to take, by reading in-between lines of my few points below.

Am a student of AE-Funai, and 21 years of age (I think this introduction is enough)
Here comes the points
Around January this year 2020, during one of my ENT 301(entrepreneurship) classes,I was able to pick a vital point, when the lecturer way pointing out the importance of Agriculture and the told us how he normally grow cucumber & watermelon, and he made alot of money from it.
I was motivated and that same day, I met him and requested for for information on the crops, which he gave me and asked me to visit a company by name Thai Agro based in Imo state.
I did some Google search on cucumber farming, quora actually taught me things, but it wasn't enough.
During this covid-19 pandemic break before the interstate lockdown Thai Agro organized a free tutorial program for young farmers called KUCH-99, which I attended and I was well trained and tutored on cucumber & watermelon farming
Now here is the problem to solve, which is truncating my studies and focusing on Agriculture.

I recently practiced cucumber farming three months ago ( June) ,I made around 25-30k (a small farm),
Am in 300l mechatronics engineering, still two more years to go and additional one year NYSC( altogether 3 yrs)
I lost my dad in 2015, since then school has been difficult, mom is a teacher in private school and her pay is less than 15k per month.
2) I thought of farming and schooling at the same time, but the distance is too far, traveling from Alike Ikwo in ebonyi state (my school) to Ejule in kogi state my hometown (and where am planning to expand the farm) every weekend

3) cucumber is a perishable goods needed to be harvested every four to five days or else it rippens and also requires daily monitoring and direction of stem after staking , meaning I must be around.

4) I had thoughts of hiring land near the school, where I can grow the crops, haven't seen any. Also planned on begging the VC for few Hector's of land inside school since he is from faculty of Agriculture (but I don't see that being possible anyway)

5) paying school fees has been difficult for my mom, in-fact some of my 300l academic session fee's are still outstanding (not talking of engineering parents Levi)
With those few points I believe it's better for me to drop-off ,at least I have been to university and can write and speak fluently.
As to reducing the burden on my mom's shoulder, so she can focus on my other siblings, as for now this pandemic has been hell for us, because the proprietor of her haven't paid them for (march to July) salary because student's are not in school and situation might get worse when federal tertiary institutions resume and we start demanding for outstanding fees, not just now what of 400l and 500l?
Help me think about this and drop your suggestions on the comment box, but for me I think the odd for for me truncating my schooling is 70% , should have started preparing for it but I recently came across a post by Richdad50 that says "Life is the consequence of a series of choices you make. If you make good choices, you wont have a bad life. If you make bad choices, you cant have a good life. Take as long as you need to make your decisions. Dont be rushed, because you’ll live with the consequence"

Mature minds please

las las try and see if you can defer your studies so you can continue where you stopped when you are back and ready
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 11:38am On Oct 01, 2020
Raylight2:

Good point here.

the paints manufacturing I do today, I learnt it from school(undergraduate). the money to set it up big time will come from scholarship from education.(postgraduate)

School no be scam
Thanks dear
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by lereinter(m): 11:55am On Oct 01, 2020
Can't you find time for both
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by femi4: 12:29pm On Oct 01, 2020
Combine both
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by mostob(m): 1:14pm On Oct 01, 2020
Olusegun345:
Hello nairalanders

Here comes the points

Mature minds please
No matter what bro, don't stop schooling. One of the advantages of farming is that it can be combined with any activities.
My advice is that you can tutor your mom or your siblings about some managerial practices that should be carried out frequently. I'm sure they I'll be able to fill in for you anytime you're in school.
And I wouldn't advise you to employ anybody yet. Taking into consideration, your financial needs and the fact that your business is still at the early stage, think of other ways you can 'bridge the gap' till you are ready to go on large scale farming.

BTW, pls I needs to ask you some questions, how can I contact you? My mail is already on my signature.
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by durasome(m): 1:29pm On Oct 01, 2020
OGWILLS123:

Who the he'll is this education brain wash being
people without certification are condemned being angry

Damm !! Nigar !! do you even understand English undecided

Modified: Then you must also be a condemned Bastard for using products produce
by noon certify people angry
.brother e tire me oo but that is the reality in some settings now oo.now can you tell me one institution where your education qualification is not required for you to be employed and they can pay you at lest what can sustain you and maybe wife and say 3 children?
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by durasome(m): 1:34pm On Oct 01, 2020
OGWILLS123:

Who the he'll is this education brain wash being
people without certification are condemned being angry

Damm !! Nigar !! do you even understand English undecided

Modified: Then you must also be a condemned Bastard for using products produce
by noon certify people angry
.it's the bitter truth so deal with it mehn.when last did you hear non graduate are been employed/ by the government or even private firms in the is country?
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by OGWILLS123: 1:43pm On Oct 01, 2020
durasome:
.brother e tire me oo but that is the reality in some settings now oo.now can you tell me one institution where your education qualification is not required for you to be employed and they can pay you at lest what can sustain you and maybe wife and say 3 children?
Even the almighty pilot does not required your "bsc"
Software engineers nkor undecided
Data scientists undecided
networking undecided
with the above mention job one can use it to feed your entire village if that is
your problem angry
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by OGWILLS123: 1:45pm On Oct 01, 2020
durasome:
.it's the bitter truth so deal with it mehn.when last did you hear non graduate are been employed/ by the government or even private firms in the is country?
And you graduate how much are you earning per month undecided
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by maiquel: 2:09pm On Oct 01, 2020
Saig:
Think about working during the holidays and possibly employing someone to do some for you while you are in school. you have limited time left in school. Manage like that for now. once you're done with school you can go fully into it if you like. You will still stand a better chance if anything that warrants the use of your certificate arrives

Listen to this guy
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by doggedfighter(f): 5:36pm On Oct 01, 2020
moveon1:
You could pick a deferment form and defer your admission for one year to run the business. If all goes well you should have generated enough money to employ workers which will now enabled you to run it alongside your schooling the next year

Here's what you need. This is what I will do if I am in your shoes.
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 6:27pm On Oct 01, 2020
doggedfighter:

Thanks man
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 9:17pm On Oct 01, 2020
doggedfighter:

Thanks dear

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Dangerous Jobs In The World / Psychology Requirements In Unijos / List Of State Nd Federal Universities In Eastern Nd Western Part Of Nigeria That Stil Have Medicine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.