Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? (11465 Views)

Poll: Who Was The Most Impressive Candidate After Watching Lagos State Governorship Debate Organised By Channels TV?

Fashola: 91% (253 votes)
Dominic: 0% (1 vote)
Tokoya: 1% (5 votes)
Dosunmu: 6% (18 votes)
Randle: 0% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Results Of Lagos Governorship, House Of Assembly Polls -vanguard / Jimi Agbaje And Ambode At The Lagos State Governorship Debate (Photo) / Lagos Governorship Debate: Candidate Performace Ratings By Premium Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by babaogun(m): 2:56pm On Mar 05, 2011
Gov. Fashola told us we could get all details of tenders and contracts on the internet, but I have struggled to get any info for the past week.

http://www.stb.lagosstate.gov.ng/
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by IFELEKE(m): 3:03pm On Mar 05, 2011
@babaogun,
Yes he did raise all that but his intention was to rubbish fashola's administration and not to tackle them.He wasn't specific about how his government will fix it and gauging/judging from his comments/utterances,the only agenda he had/brought to the debate was to drag fashola down.
@topic
Babatunde Raji Fashola raised the bar high,he was good,eloquent,right on point,detailed and highly focused all through.Watching him speak reminded me of the tempestous but highly explosive debates of the Obama/MaCain campaigns.I don't have any direct link with lagos but i wait patiently to work on the BRF presidential campaign team.
''It is not their age that matters but the age of their ideas''. . .Classic!
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by babaogun(m): 3:20pm On Mar 05, 2011
@IFELEKE

He didn't fully address how he would tackle most issues. To do that, you will require more than a minute or two to articulate your alternative policy instrument.

I disagree he was there to rubbish anyone, including Gov Fashola and this is borne from the fact that he never insulted him in any issue he raised [apart from them applying for jobs, which i think was childish, but you never know, these things could be real]. He spoke about the shortcomings of his Govt. which are mostly visible. Although i appreciate there will always be shortcomings in whatever policy any Govt implements.

See link below and watch to the end: Dosunmu seems very responsible

The final question which starts at 06:50 will answer your question on any attempt to rubbish Gov Fashola

http://channelstv.com/global/videos.php?vid_shows=progs_390&show=3

Dosunmu was asked on Feb 22, 2011 what he thought about BRF and the response was that he had done his best. He could easily have continued scoring political points that wont win him the election, but he gave some kudos to Gov Fashola.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Time2Think(f): 3:31pm On Mar 05, 2011
babaogun:

Gov. Fashola told us we could get all details of tenders and contracts on the internet, but I have struggled to get any info for the past week.

He also said there is a register for un employed youth in there - did you find any?
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Pharoh: 3:40pm On Mar 05, 2011
I don't know why people cannot reason anymore because they support fashola, dosumu gave very good points.

For example take the issue of the revenue question, he said utilization is the problem and not the reconfiguration of the formula to favour the states more. Fashola wants word revenue or allocation but where is that money coming from if he wants the states to be independent. Most of those money they share comes from the oil producing states, so if the oil dries up then most states in Nigeria will be doomed. Maximize the use of what you have presently because it is enough, even if they give you 100 percent it will still not be enough so use the present allocation optimally simple.

Fashola was just busy attacking the federal government and pdp, he was trying to paint pdp black so that he can also paint dosumu black as well. He should have just gone straight to the point and tackle the question posed to him because the present formula is okay and they should use it very efficiently simple.  Same goes for the questions on the housing issue and literacy issue, dosumu and dominic gave very good points and solutions but fashola was even implying that he is still in the process of solving that :O after his first term.  He wants to empower market women and mechanic to own those houses or what is the point fashola was trying to make.

People should take each questions one after the other with an unbiased mind, analyze it and see the points of all the opponents so you would clearly know that dominic and dosumu clearly outperformed fashola to say the truth.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by illusion2: 3:43pm On Mar 05, 2011
babaogun:

@babogun,I visted the site yesterday and got all the contracts up to 2009,on second thoughts I probably should have downloaded the files.

Your points on Fashola vs Dosunmu are very relevant & while I believe Fashola is heads and shoulders above all the other candidates,he mustn't rest on his oars & should address all the issues raised by the other contestants.

Dosunmu & PDP really don't have any moral grounds to comment on leadership anywhere in Nigeria. PDP has been an unmitigated disaster on our dear motherland. They have had record incomes from oil and gas in the last 12 years and we still do not have constant power.

By all indices of development,Nigeria is certainly worse off than we were in 1999. So if not for any other reason,I believe PDP needs to cover their faces in shame.

The recent 'welcome back party' for the ex-con Bode George is another indicator of the disconnect of the visionless party from the average Nigerian.

So by all analysis therefore- Dosunmu doesn't stand a chance !
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by babaogun(m): 4:07pm On Mar 05, 2011
@illusion2

If I was a betting guy, I would put all my money on Fashola to be re-elected.

You need to separate Dosunmu and PDP. Remember Godswill Akpabio [PDP] of Akwa Ibom has been lauded as a performing Governor.

Is there usually a competitive bidding process in LASG Contracts? Was Dosunmu talking rubbish or is their sense in him claiming Gov Fashola was spending NGN 1 billion per kilometre of road to fix the Lekki Ajah Road?

Maybe the civil engineers in the house can give us a clue on how much it should cost in reality taking into circumstance the geography of Lekki - Ajah road and the kinda work being carried out.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by illusion2: 5:03pm On Mar 05, 2011
babaogun:

@illusion2

If I was a betting guy, I would put all my money on Fashola to be re-elected.

You need to separate Dosunmu and PDP. Remember Godswill Akpabio [PDP] of Akwa Ibom has been lauded as a performing Governor.

Is there usually a competitive bidding process in LASG Contracts? Was Dosunmu talking rubbish or is their sense in him claiming Gov Fashola was spending NGN 1 billion per kilometre of road to fix the Lekki Ajah Road?

Maybe the civil engineers in the house can give us a clue on how much it should cost in reality taking into circumstance the geography of Lekki - Ajah road and the kinda work being carried out.
True talk.

I also have my concerns on the undue influence of Tinubu on Lagos affairs,I learnt he pushed out the outgoing deputy governor(Sosan).

The N1 billion per kilometer road would indeed be a world record,unless they have included the costs of compensation for acquired land. I would appreciate more light in that regard as well.

I regret not downloading the list of contracts upto 2009,I hope the site will be back online soon.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Tunmi(f): 5:12pm On Mar 05, 2011
[b]These are my notes based on the debates aired on YouTube.

Dealing with the Infrastructure Deficit. 
Fashola--avoided the question. He only mentioned his achievements and apparently how we got the deficit.   
Dosunmu--avoided the question. He only blamed the govt for abandoning projects that were already underway. Also explaining how we got the deficit. And his plan for a more transparent govt with candidates competing for positions.   
Randle--he is funny and there solely for history lessons. I like him, he should write a book on the history of Lagos and etcetera.  
My expectations--taxing corporations and paving the way for more domestic businesses. Supporting local businesses, who will in turn pay taxes (not exorbitant amounts) and encouraging more homegrown  businesses.  

For unemployment:
Dominic--get industries working via available electricity. 
Fashola--great rebuttal. Gave numbers and state website. But what is the website?
Dosunmu--a protectionist policy. But for whom, Lagosians or the companies? Also he wants companies to enjoy a pioneer status, that is, to not pay taxes. 
Takoya--we get it, he is divined. Now answer the questions. He wants to make Lagos a construction yard to get rid of area boys and to implement a drainage system (I like that, it will help reduce the embarrassing flooding  every time it rains. 
Randle--encourage graduates to become business owners. 

Deficits in housing and stock 
Takoya--use locally made materials instead of cement. Build houses for the people, less expensive houses. 
Fashola--working on mortgage plans for the people so that the folks they build the houses for actually get them. 
Dosunmu--he repeated what Fashola said without realizing it. He built the houses and is now in the process of finalizing a mortgage plan. (Fashola paid attention to history-Jakande)
Randle--another history lesson. I didn't know the British gave us a million pounds to get rid of the slums. This guy and Dominic should collaborate and write a book, in all seriousness. 
Dominic--his mic is now working. Lagos is a slum, we know. But gave no plan to reduce the deficit. 

Randle--"seeing the governor"
Fashola--my job does not allow me to see to the needs of everyone. I have people whose job it is to do just that. I have a phone number and an email address which the public can use. Use it. Also, you want to address me on a judicial matter, go to the attorney general. 
Me--really, Randle, are we really talking about your house? What happened to the widow of the first mayor of Lagos that you brought up? Fashola tried not to air the dirty laundry and tried to be vague about it. But seeing the governor is not something the population of Lagos can all do. That is why you have representatives of local governments. Use them. 

Takoya--"doctor's strikes"
Fashola--We are still trying to reach a compromise. And he literally begged the Doctors to accept their compromise. I love his demeanor. 

So no one has the statistic on hand for literacy rate, except for Randle who said 40% and Fashola who said 98%. 

Fashola--there is a distinction between literacy rate and performance level. (yes there is)
Randle--Feels Fashola owed him an apology.  (it's politics, get over it. If an investigation into your house disproved what he said, feel free to use it against him as a smear campaign)

Takoya--Lagos can finance free education. 
Dominic--improve school standards. 

Yemisi Ransom-Kuti--"25% women participation and Lagos as a megacity status"
Fashola--we have exceeded the 25% mark and Lagos is already a megacity, it only needs to become a model city. 
Takoya--his party gives women an opportunity to participate in politics. (an opportunity? not a right. Smh)

Dominic--health care providers for all
(he spoke well)

Fashola--"it is not the age of their public service, it is the age of their ideas ." actually this was directed at Dosunmu but Randle took offense.  

Dosunmu--accountability and transparency. 

Randle--being petty. And for one who is a true lagosian, you have a pretty foreign surname. Abeg!!!! 

My winners: Fashola and Dominic. [/b]
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Mariory(m): 5:33pm On Mar 05, 2011
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by cliveland: 5:35pm On Mar 05, 2011
i will vote fashola though i pray he will be able cut off Tinubu's influence on his 2nd term especially with the lekki-ajah expressway tolls.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Bomi(m): 6:08pm On Mar 05, 2011
Kudos to the organizers of the Lagos Gubernatorial debate. My analyzes of the whole debate is that opposition where ill prepared and lack strategy. It is not easy to dislodge incumbent anywhere hence opposition should prefect their act and get ready for next time. Individually, they tried and all of them are articulate,

BRF tried with all the pressure from all side. But He should have show more temperament and respect for an elder who has sacrifice for the betterment of Lagos State. He need their experience and he should be ready to carry everybody along he is not citadel of all wisdom as show in his dealing with the medical doctors.

Dr Dosunmu is very brilliant and shine like a million star. He learned and know his onions. Like every approach to issues he is ill prepared and take the people for granted. He can not just wake up and wanted to run Lagos by trial and error. This is typical of all Nigerian politician. Ill prepared, no plan and want power at all cost! Haba! ruling Lagosians of over 12 million by trial and error will only help the nation taking giant step backward.

Bashorun Randle, I happen to be his student looking forward to his Wednesday's article in Businessday. I did not know Baba can change like that, wanted revenge at all cost. I know he did not come out to contest just to
get even with Fashola. Baba you have make your point and your sacrifice is noted. But there are better way to address this issues and it should be concern to all Lagosian.

Despite the fact that Fashola remain the best of all candidate in Lagos State gubernatorial candidate, I have my mis giving about his candidature. Why does he drop his deputy? How come with that performance he not sure of his second term until very late, what is the position of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu in all this? With the point raise by Dr Dosunmu concerning the finances of Lagos state. Every well meaning Lagosian should be concern. FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Sagamite(m): 8:10pm On Mar 05, 2011
Bomi:

BRF tried with all the pressure from all side. But He should have show more temperament and respect for an elder who has sacrifice for the betterment of Lagos State. He need their experience and he should be ready to carry everybody along he is not citadel of all wisdom as show in his dealing with the medical doctors.

What sacrifice?

What kind of experience can we gain from a man with such dumb mentality?
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by babaogun(m): 9:17pm On Mar 05, 2011
Mariory:

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=upload&gcat=Document&mnusub=general&mpid=&mnu=null

Well done Mariory.

This has a lot of financial detail revenue and expenditure, infrastructural project status, strategy documents, financial requirements, etc. Nice to see these data set is publicly available. Kudos.

The most important one for me is the breakdown of contract awards per contract and the procurement system.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by noibilism(m): 9:24pm On Mar 05, 2011
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Pukkah: 11:39pm On Mar 05, 2011
Clearly, and sentiments aside, Fashola carried the day. His performance was brilliant and didn't fall short of expectations. Of course, the clown of the day was Randle, he has no business being in the race.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by scorpio1(m): 12:45am On Mar 06, 2011
Fashola is too much abeg, Dosunmu just kept quoting Billions he wasn't sure of instead of telling us what he can do for Lagos state, Thank God Randle saved the day with some Humour, lol, VOTE RANDLE THE MAN, THE HISTORIAN, MY PAPA DASH LAGOS STATE THIS HOTEL, I DEY WORK FOR LAGOS FREE OF CHARGE, LOL!!!
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by laudate: 1:08am On Mar 06, 2011
Am not sure everyone watched that debate from beginning to end. Yes, Fashola was articulate but he was also petty. Watch how he dodged the question concerning his refusal to see Randle and then went on to belittle the respectable old man by accusing him of criminality without proof.

Then he cleverly side-tracked Dosunmu's question on the cost of the Lagos-Ajah road. Last time I checked, those who live in Ajah, Lakowe, Ibeju-Lekki, Badore along the Ajah axis etc do not pay less tax than other Lagosians who live in Yaba, Surulere, Onipanu and Ikeja GRA. Yet, people living on the Ajah axis are expected to pay toll at 3-4 toll gates before they get to their homes.

All Lagosians are equal, but some are meant to suffer more than others, abi? angry

And I simply loved what Dosunmu said about the Housing projects in Lagos state (even though I do not care for PDP): "Lagos state govt builds houses and sells them for 40 to 50 million naira. A man that can afford to pay this kind of money for a house, does not need the state's assistance to get his house built." Someone should please tell me what type of houses Lagos State govt has built for the masses since Fashola became governor.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Sagamite(m): 7:10am On Mar 06, 2011
laudate:

Am not sure everyone watched that debate from beginning to end. Yes, Fashola was articulate but he was also petty. Watch how he dodged the question concerning his refusal to see Randle and then went on to belittle the respectable old man by accusing him of criminality without proof.

Why should he answer the foool's challenge he has the right to see the Governor?

Check this thread, someone put the proof up for you earlier.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by illusion2: 9:10am On Mar 06, 2011
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Seum(f): 9:40am On Mar 06, 2011
illusion2:

I'm really sorry,I don't mean to offend,I hear/read many nigerians using this word -'betterment',is it really english ?

Someone please help clarify.

Yours sinerely ,
Illusion2

Definitions of [b]betterment [/b]on the Web:

1. improvement: a change for the better; progress in development
2. an improvement that adds to the value of a property or facility
3. amelioration: the act of relieving ills and changing for the better
source: wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Next time, confirm before you disgrace yourself
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by congoshine(m): 10:34am On Mar 06, 2011
Seum:

Definitions of [b]betterment [/b]on the Web:
1. improvement: a change for the better; progress in development
2. an improvement that adds to the value of a property or facility
3. amelioration: the act of relieving ills and changing for the better
source: wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Next time, confirm before you disgrace yourself
The guy just asked a simple question ,why the insults ?
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Concept(m): 10:48am On Mar 06, 2011
Their ages in term of life span or services are not issues but our concern is the age of their ideas to rule Lagos state. Mr. Fasola remains the best. He spoke eloquently on what he and his party have for Lagosians moreover he has a platform to do so. However, some vital points are raised by the opposition which I think Fashola Government should find a way round it; HOUSING. The involvement of his Government in having people to have roof over their head must be affordable for the masses, something is wrong somewhere on this and it has to be tackled as he rightly said. Eko O ni baje OOO. What we thought will not be possible Fashola has done it in his first term and for sure the second term is inevitable, if you are progressive no matter the anomalies detected in Mr. Fashola's Government it surpasses the combined former PDP controlled states in the west, this in consideration of generated fund available to them and its execution. Please, Fashola is still be best I have seen in my generation to give hope that Nigeria can still be in the same league like western world. A vote for any other persons is against visionary and missionary leadership. E dibo yi ni wutuwutu, Fashola yi o se ekan si. Eko ko ni baje lailai. If their could be Honourary President-Elect Mr. Fashola would have gotten the slot.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by MuniruA(m): 6:07pm On Mar 06, 2011
I think Dosumu won d dbate because he argue well as an opposition.He asked a question about how fashola spent a large sum of money on some road projects than necessary which fashola evaded.The man also said that governor Fashola disassociate himself with federel govt regardind working 2gether for d development of Lagos state.He think he can do everyth because he want d glories for himself only.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by tlops(m): 8:21pm On Mar 06, 2011
[size=15pt]7UP![/size]
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by ladej(m): 2:44am On Mar 07, 2011
i believe we may have seen the best of fashola, the next 4 years will be geared towards a shot at aso rock, not lagos state. in order words his focus may shift, and he will take the risk, banking on the goodwill of lagosians.

on the debate it was welcomed. i enjoyed the verbal sparring and fashola shaded it clearly. im of the opinion that better planning and an overall sound strategy by his opponents may have helped their cause. i also saw a side of him id never seen, his temper and penchant for pettiness. he acted like a child that wasnt brought up properly. randle dangled a bait and fashola fell for it hook, line and sinker.

he should have watched the way obama didnt fall for hillary's pettiness and constant harping over his inexperience. obama stayed calm,

you know the rest,
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Sagamite(m): 3:26am On Mar 07, 2011
ladej:

i also saw a side of him id never seen, his temper and penchant for pettiness. he acted like a child that wasnt brought up properly. randle dangled a bait and fashola fell for it hook, line and sinker.

he should have watched the way obama didnt fall for hillary's pettiness and constant harping over his inexperience. obama stayed calm,

you know the rest,

Please explain what you saw that made you say he acted like someone that was not brought up properly.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by FabulousE1: 10:08am On Mar 07, 2011
FROM MY TRUE CANDID AND JUDGEMENT: FASHOLA IS THE MAN FOR THE LAGOS-STATE GOVERNORSHIP SEAT. GOD WILLING LAGOS IS MOVING FORWARD WITH SOME GRAT POSITIVE CHANGES AFTER BUBA MARWA.

GOD BLESS FASHOLA, GOD BLESS THE PEOPLE OF LAGOS-STATE, GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Mutiana: 2:29pm On Mar 07, 2011
God Bless you man, that Pa Randle is a real Jester. For me it wasn't really a progressive debate, just an opportunity to attack personalities. But I guess Tokoya seemed to have idea's Fashola incumbent and laying a foundation. My fear is even if he stays on for four years would there be anyone to sustain whatever he has attempted to achieve or even surpass his Visions with the quality of arguements on all fronts I really have my doubts. I think the fear for Lagosians should be after 2015, then,
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by ladej(m): 8:54pm On Mar 09, 2011
Sagamite:

Please explain what you saw that made you say he acted like someone that was not brought up properly.
his response to randle when randle started talking about not being seen for 3 years. fashola responded well when he added that it was a court case. calling him or insinuating that randle was a criminal was wrong, as well as mentioning his house number. there is still culture and fashola could have handled it better. the same way obama handled Hillary and mcCain when they questioned his age and inexperience. cool, calm and collected.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by mcgboye(m): 9:02pm On Mar 09, 2011
There was never a time Fashola called Pa Randle a criminal. He merely said it was a criminal case. Two different things. For example, if your house is robbed by armed robbers,and you take the robbers to court, it'll be said you're involved in a criminal case. Doesn't make you a criminal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: FG Not Contemplating Hike In Petrol Pump Price - SGF Says / We Are Ready To Screen Ministerial Nominees After Our Recess, Senators Say / Geometric Power Project Dear To My Heart, Will Rejuvenate Economic - Gov Otti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.