Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,001 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition (662 Views)

Western Democracy Not Working For Africa – Obasanjo / Sanwo-Olu: Nigeria’s Democracy Not Complete Without Tinubu / Election Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 6:14am On Oct 03, 2020
Many Nigerians (as well as Nigerian Politicians) thought that the enemies of the Nigerian Democracy are those regions who voted for the opposition parties, or maybe, those regions who didn't vote massively for the winning party.

You would be hearing things like, “those regions couldn't even deliver for our party, and therefore, they don't deserve much from the government”. At some other times, you would hear terms like “five-percenters”.

But in reality, it is actually those who came out to vote for their choices are the ones who deserved to be rewarded. They are the ones who have the country in their hearts and minds, and they came out to perform their responsibilities to the country.

The true villains of democracy are those who are not interested in participating in the election process, those for which the turn-outs at the elections are always below 30% as a result of their absence, those ingrates who sit back at their homes (or place of work) for whatever reason, whether intentional or not.
They are the ones who failed in their responsibility to the country, and deserved to be severely punished.

It is your responsibility as a citizen to participate in the elections, but it is your right to vote for whoever candidate you choose (it is also your right not to vote for anybody).

As citizens, it is very important that we should know our rights, but it is far more important that we should know our responsibilities as citizens.. Let's always bear that in mind.
We shouldn’t know only our rights, we should also know our responsibilities.

In Australia, those do not participate in the elections are severely penalized, and as a result, they usually record up to 99% turnout at the elections. (They keep proper data of the citizens, and the information of those that got accredited for voting are used in determining those who did not participate in the elections)
Even if you want to protest, or show off your displeasure at the country during the elections, you have to first of all participate in the elections by getting accredited and collecting the ballot-paper, then drop the ballot-paper blank and let it count as a void vote. That is protest enough. By the time the voided votes are more than 50%, then the message would be clearly sent across that the power to overthrow is with the people. Those voided votes can easily favour any unpopular candidate in the future if those popular candidates in power are not doing well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 6:15am On Oct 03, 2020
The real problem in Nigeria is that we always love to take sides in order to engage is useless superiority fights..
Always trying to find demarcation lines..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by helinues: 6:17am On Oct 03, 2020
shocked
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by LawLab247: 6:19am On Oct 03, 2020
Ok
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 6:23am On Oct 03, 2020
helinues:
shocked
You again??
Na Waa You Ooo..
Can't I say something wey dey my mind peacefully, without having you peeping me around?
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by helinues: 6:25am On Oct 03, 2020
BluntNigerian:
You again??
Na Waa You Ooo..
Can't I say something wey dey my mind peacefully, without having you peeping me around?

Hahahahahaha.

Can't I also express myself peacefully with no comment but emoji?

Is that against Nigeria law, if yes which section?
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BBBmall25: 6:28am On Oct 03, 2020
This Will Make A Lot Of Sense To My Ipob Half Brothers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 6:32am On Oct 03, 2020
helinues:

Hahahahahaha.

Can't I also express myself peacefully with no comment but emoji?

Is that against Nigeria law, if yes which section?
You win..
Habbaaa.
Please let me be
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 6:33am On Oct 03, 2020
BBBmall25:
This Will Make A Lot Of Sense To My Ip.ob Half Brothers
For those ones, they don't even see themselves as part of the country any longer.
But that is self-deception

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 6:35am On Oct 03, 2020
LawLab247:
Ok
Thanks for hearing. grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by AdaugoChisom(f): 6:52am On Oct 03, 2020
Akuko Mike
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by AsiwajuNdigbo: 6:55am On Oct 03, 2020
BluntNigerian:
The real problem in Nigeria is that we always love to take sides in order to engage is useless superiority fights..
Always trying to find demarcation lines..

We carry the same spirit used in sport team into politics and treat our national politics in similar manner as we do arsenal, barca, chelsea. It is nonsense first of all that we even promote foreign league teams. It has turned into religion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 7:01am On Oct 03, 2020
AdaugoChisom:
Akuko Mike
A typical skeptical Nigerian spotted.
(Nothing will ever be seen as something good for such people, so far it is coming from Nigeria.)

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by Marine54(m): 8:05am On Oct 03, 2020
BluntNigerian:
For those ones, they don't even see themselves as part of the country any longer.
But that is self-deception
Why would they see themselves as part of the country ,while a sitting president called thier region 5% inconsequential ! The lopsided appointment speak for itself. Am not from that region though..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 8:44am On Oct 03, 2020
Marine54:
Why would they see themselves as part of the country ,while a sitting president called thier region 5% inconsequential ! The lopsided appointment speak for itself. Am not from that region though..
That Exactly is the problem.
Seeing some regions as inconsequential, just because they seemed to have voted the opposition.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 8:46am On Oct 03, 2020
AsiwajuNdigbo:

We carry the same spirit used in sport team into politics and treat our national politics in similar manner as we do arsenal, barca, chelsea. It is nonsense first of all that we even promote foreign league teams. It has turned into religion.
On a very serious note, I don't know the origin of the term “Wailers”..
It sounds very irresponsible.
As if Democracy is a do-or-die competition, or something.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 03, 2020
You are right, OP.. Boycotting elections, democracy celebrations, independence day celebrations and other national activities is wrong. Those doing so are clearly enemies of Nigeria. But they can still retrace their steps and come back home, like the Biblical prodigal son. grin

God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by Dikebuka: 11:09am On Oct 03, 2020
This OP self.

People went to vote in Osun and a phone call changed destiny.
People went to vote in Kogi and what the saw was war.
People went to vote in lagos and they were reminded that they are not lagosians.
People went to vote in Kano and it was bloody.
People voted in Imo and a panel of 5 installed someone from fourth position to first even going against even the simple statistics of inec.

Tomorrow you expect those people to participate.

The dead people are lovers of democracy then

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by sapientia(m): 11:10am On Oct 03, 2020
Government systematically defranchize people during registrations.

That's enough discouragement.

To vote is another problem in most southern states.

There are not enough polling units

Not enough an excuse but making pre and post election processes automated and easier will reduce the lukewarm attitude of most Nigerians

However, OP, you are very on point and your assertions are factually apt.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 11:41am On Oct 03, 2020
Dikebuka:
This OP self.

People went to vote in Osun and a phone call changed destiny.
People went to vote in Kogi and what the saw was war.
People went to vote in lagos and they were reminded that they are not lagosians.
People went to vote in Kano and it was bloody.
People voted in Imo and a panel of 5 installed someone from fourth position to first even going against even the simple statistics of inec.

Tomorrow you expect those people to participate.

The dead people are lovers of democracy then
“All these things you stated here could only happen where the turnout of the eligible voters is less than 25%.”
You think I'm telling a lie by the bolded statement above??

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 11:42am On Oct 03, 2020
SilverNorGold:
You are right, OP.. Boycotting elections, democracy celebrations, independence day celebrations and other national activities is wrong. Those doing so are clearly enemies of Nigeria. But they can still retrace their steps and come back home, like the Biblical prodigal son. grin

God bless Nigeria.
Make I no just laugh.!!
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by BluntNigerian: 11:44am On Oct 03, 2020
sapientia:
Government systematically defranchize people during registrations.

That's enough discouragement.

To vote is another problem in most southern states.

There are not enough polling units

Not enough an excuse but making pre and post election elections automated and easier will reduce the lukewarm attitude of most Nigerians

However, OP, you are very on point and your assertions are factually apt.
Thank You Very Much..
I agree with your points too..
Democracy is actually a gradual process.
We will definitely get there as a country one day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by Bluntsisi: 11:51am On Oct 03, 2020
With the lack of trust in INEC, Voters Turnout will never pass 30%.
INEC should work on themselves first.
Then, the game of Politics would be centered more on doing what the people want, and not in violence and sharing money..
Until then, Boycotting Elections are the safest way to stay alive, and at the same time staging a strong protest.. At least, recording a 10% turnout is a very strong message.
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by Bluntsisi: 11:52am On Oct 03, 2020
Righteousness89,
Explorers
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by Dikebuka: 11:53am On Oct 03, 2020
BluntNigerian:
“All these things you stated here could only happen where the turnout of the eligible voters is less than 25%.”
You think I'm telling a lie by the bolded statement above??

But people voted in owerri or will u say owerri was less than 25%
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by Bluntsisi: 11:55am On Oct 03, 2020
Lalasticlala
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 03, 2020
BluntNigerian:
Make I no just laugh.!!

grin
Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by sapientia(m): 12:56pm On Oct 03, 2020
BluntNigerian:
Thank You Very Much..
I agree with your points too..
Democracy is actually a gradual process.
We will definitely get there as a country one day.

Nothing excites me like electoral reforms

Once we get it right, no matter how badly damaged Nigeria is, it will be repaired in a short time.

Its only through the ballot that Nigeria can be repaired.

Bad Electoral practices = Bad Governance

Good Electoral Practices = Good Governance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by sapientia(m): 1:01pm On Oct 03, 2020
Bluntsisi:
With the lack of trust in INEC, Voters Turnout will never pass 30%.
INEC should work on themselves first.
Then, the game of Politics would be centered more on doing what the people want, and not in violence and sharing money..
Until then, Boycotting Elections are the safest way to stay alive, and at the same time staging a strong protest.. At least, recording a 10% turnout is a very strong message.

By our laws, the Executive and by extension the ruling party determines what happens in INEC which is an anomaly.

I can boldly say that INEC have mature greatly from what was obtainable during 2007 elections.

If there was no electoral reform, we would have still been repeating 2007.

While I blame Nigerians and other government bodies for our woes, I place more than 90% of the blames on the NASS.

They represent themselves rather than us but the day votes starts counting and everyone votes, I doubt if a clown will ever get close to NASS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boycotters Are The Real Enemies Of Democracy; Not The Opposition by Eriggs: 1:27pm On Oct 03, 2020
BluntNigerian:
A typical skeptical Nigerian spotted.
(Nothing will ever be seen as something good for such people, so far it is coming from Nigeria.)
na true u talk

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

FEC Approves N654 Million To Monitor Frequencies In South-east, Others / Tinubu: I'm Not The One Sponsoring #endsars Protest / Peace Returns To Abia Community After Killing Of Two Soldiers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.