Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,624 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox (1880 Views)

Drive It Forever And Ever: 10 Cars That Can Last A Lifetime / Best Cars For Transportation Business In Nigeria / 9 Most Expensive Cars That Were Found Abandoned (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:03pm On Oct 03, 2020
BMW 2 Series & 4 Series

BMW, the self-appointed purveyor of the ultimate driving machine, offers most variants of the entry-level 2 Series (pictured) with a six-speed manual transmission. The automatic-only models in the range are the 230i convertible and cars equipped with xDrive all-wheel drive.
The manual transmission is a no-cost option on the 230i and the M240i. The alternative is a ubiquitous eight-speed automatic manufactured by ZF. The M2 comes with a six-speed stick, too, but its automatic option is a seven-speed dual-clutch unit with shift paddles that BMW charges $2900 for.
The new 3 Series may have gone automatic-only, but for now the two-door 4 Series (based on the previous 3 Series) is still available with a manual, though not on convertibles except for the M4.

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:04pm On Oct 03, 2020
Chevrolet Corvette

The seventh-generation Chevrolet Corvette had at least one feature in common with the Porsche 911: a seven-speed manual transmission. Porsche beat Chevrolet to the punch; it started offering a seven-speed when it introduced the 991-generation 911 in 2011, about three years before the seventh-generation Corvette made its debut. But the all-new, mid-engined Corvette C8 lost its clutch pedal, sad to say.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2020
Dodge Challenger Hellcat

The supercharged, 6.2-liter Hellcat V8 engine powers three cars: Dodge’s Challenger and Charger plus the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Only the Challenger gives buyers the option of shifting themselves. The standard transmission is a six-speed manual and Dodge charges $2995 for an eight-speed automatic.
The Hellcat and Hellcat Widebody are among the four Challenger variants offered with a manual transmission. All come with a V8 engine. V6-powered models are automatic-only

1 Share

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:08pm On Oct 03, 2020
370z still offers a manual, same as the upcoming 400z.
The 2022 Supra will offer a manual.
The BRZ/FRS offers a manual.
The new M3/M4 have a manual option.
The Porsche Cayman and Boxter offer manuals.
The Camaro and Mustang offer manuals.
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:08pm On Oct 03, 2020
Ford Mustang

The Ford Mustang came standard with a three-speed manual transmission when it made its debut in early 1964. Ford charged precisely $179.80 (about $1460 in 2019 money) for its Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmission. Fast-forward 54 years and the Mustang still comes standard with a manual. It has twice the number of gears, and buyers who want the optional 10-speed automatic need to pay $1595 for it. The wonderful Bullitt (pictured) and Shelby GT350 special editions are only available in manual while the GT500 range-topper isn't offered with three pedals.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by hisgrace090: 3:13pm On Oct 03, 2020
Yes, manual gears are for the reel deal.
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:18pm On Oct 03, 2020
Honda Civic

The coupe, sedan and hatchback variants of the Honda Civic are available with a six-speed manual transmission. Honda charges $800 to equip base models with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). Buyers who move up in the trim hierarchy unlock the CVT at no extra cost.
Honda’s hot rod Civic, the 306 HP Type R, is only offered with a six-speed manual transmission. It’s a model-specific close-ratio unit with Honda’s Rev-Match Control technology.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2020
Volkswagen Golf

Volkswagen sells three versions of the Golf hatchback in the US: the standard model, the GTI, the R (pictured) and the e-Golf. The first three are all available with a manual transmission.
In the Golf, the five-speed is offered mostly as a budget-friendly choice for buyers who don’t want to pay $1100 for a six-speed automatic. In contrast, Volkswagen makes a six-speed manual available in the GTI and the R to satisfy enthusiasts seeking a more analog car.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:21pm On Oct 03, 2020
Porsche 718

While it’s no longer possible to stick-shift a Cayenne, Porsche remains committed to offering its dedicated sports cars with a manual transmission for as long as possible. Every version of the 718 is available with a six-speed stick, from the entry-level Cayman to the flagship, flat-six-powered GT4. Porsche’s dual-clutch automatic shifts much quicker than a human but many enthusiasts wouldn’t give up a few tenths of a second for the satisfaction of shifting their own gears. The 718 Cayman GT4 and 718 Spyder are manual only.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:22pm On Oct 03, 2020
Hyundai Veloster N

Hyundai’s first entry into America’s hot hatch segment is a home run. The Veloster is an asymmetrical, 250 HP fast hatch that demonstrates the South Korean brand can excel even in areas it has little experience in. Hyundai was confident enough in its ability to take on Volkswagen in the segment it helped create that it released the Veloster N exclusively with a six-speed manual transmission. The rumor claiming a dual-clutch automatic gearbox is right around the corner hasn’t come true yet.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:23pm On Oct 03, 2020
Mazda Mazda3

Mazda positions the Mazda3 as the enthusiast’s choice in the segment but it has a difficult time making a business case for the manual transmission. While every trim level previously came standard with a stick, only the range-topping, front-wheel drive variant of the redesigned hatchback released in 2019 is offered with three pedals. The entry-level hatchback, the all-wheel drive model and every version of the Madza3 sedan are automatic-only. We predict the 3’s manual option won’t last very long, sadly.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:24pm On Oct 03, 2020
Chevrolet Camaro

The new Corvette C8 may have gone to the dark side, but the Camaro is keeping the faith. Every Camaro is available with a stick shift, from those equipped with puny four-cylinder engines all the way up to the fire-breathing dragon that is the 650 HP ZL1 1LE (pictured). Sadly, rumors that the Camaro would receive the Corvette C7’s seven-speed turned out to be false; Chevrolet’s pony car carries on with a six-speed.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:27pm On Oct 03, 2020
Porsche 911

Porsche would cause riots all around the world if it stopped offering the 911 with a stick. Cars equipped with the seven-speed manual transmission are normally a little bit slower than their automatic counterparts but a sizable percentage of buyers nonetheless opt for three pedals.
The German firm makes an exception for its GT-series cars, which all come with an automatic transmission. ‘I’m sure we could sell a GT3 RS with a manual, no doubt, but not everything that sells makes sense,’ GT division boss Andreas Preuninger told Autocar. The latest 992 generation of 911 (pictured) isn't yet available with a stick in the US, but we're almost certain it will happen soon.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:28pm On Oct 03, 2020
Lotus Evora GT

Lotus updated the Evora with an eye on the American market for the 2020 model year. Now wearing the GT suffix, the mid-engined coupe became the most powerful road-going car Lotus has ever sold in the United States thanks to a 3.5-liter V6 engine supercharged to 416 HP. The standard transmission remains a six-speed manual but an automatic is available at an extra cost.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:29pm On Oct 03, 2020
Toyota Tacoma

The Tacoma, Toyota’s smallest pickup truck, is available with a stick if you tick the right boxes. The entry-level Tacoma SR and most of the TRD-badged models come only with a six-speed automatic transmission. Toyota makes a manual available TRD Pro (pictured) model, which is aimed at buyers who want to go far off the beaten path.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:30pm On Oct 03, 2020
Toyota Corolla Hatch

Introduced at the 2018 New York auto show, the Toyota Corolla Hatch stands out as one of the newest cars available with a stick. The six-speed unit is an alternative to a clever but complicated continuously variable transmission (CVT) that starts in an actual first gear before switching to the belt-drive system. This setup attenuates the rubber band-like acceleration often associated with a CVT, according to Toyota. It adds $1100 to the cost of a Corolla Hatch regardless of which trim level buyers select. The stick is comparatively simple: clutch in, next gear in, clutch out.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:31pm On Oct 03, 2020
Mini Hardtop

Mini is in something of a limbo. It goes into the 2020 model year without its usual six-speed manual transmission. However, the company says it will make a return before the start of the 2021 model year. We're glad to hear it. The short-throw shifter emphasizes the smaller Hardtop models’ kart-like handling. The plug-in hybrid variant of the Countryman predictably comes only with a six-speed automatic, which is par for the course in its segment.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:33pm On Oct 03, 2020
Jeep Wrangler

Now in its fourth generation, the Jeep Wrangler continues to offer a standard manual transmission. The firm points out it geared first and reverse particularly low to help the Wrangler get over rough terrain with ease. Glancing at the specifications sheet reveals the off-roader is slowly succumbing to the rise of the automatic, however.
The manual is only offered with the Pentastar 3.6-liter V6. Stepping up to the optional 2.0-liter turbo four (which uses a 48-volt starter-generator) requires selecting the eight-speed automatic Jeep charges $2000 for. Factor in the $1000 charge for the four-cylinder and the Wrangler’s price jumps by $3000

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:34pm On Oct 03, 2020
Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86

Subaru and Toyota couldn’t have credibly developed a nimble, rear-wheel drive coupe aimed at Mazda’s MX-5 Miata roadster without making it available with a manual transmission. The BRZ/86 twins come standard with a six-speed stick regardless of price or trim level. An automatic is available at an extra cost on most variants.

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by yenereal(m): 3:36pm On Oct 03, 2020
Booked
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 3:37pm On Oct 03, 2020
The absentees

For all its talk of delivering unmatched driver engagement, Alfa Romeo does not offer the Giulia with a manual transmission in the US. Every variant of the Giulia ranging from the base model to the bloodthirsty Quadrifoglio uses the same eight-speed automatic transmission.
Mercedes-Benz doesn’t offer a single model with a manual transmission in the US.  Acura, Buick, Chrysler, Ferrari, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Maserati, Ram, Smart and Volvo are also on the list of companies that kicked the stick-shift out of their portfolio.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/node/87372

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by king406(m): 5:29pm On Oct 03, 2020
Oga add G37 nah angry
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 5:34pm On Oct 03, 2020
king406:
Oga add G37 nah angry
Standard 7-speed automatic transmission
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by king406(m): 5:39pm On Oct 03, 2020
Kingdemu:
Standard 7-speed automatic transmission
Wrong.
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Kingdemu: 5:43pm On Oct 03, 2020
king406:
Wrong.
My bad! Just found out that the sports trim comes with a six-speed manual tranny.

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:09pm On Oct 03, 2020
king406:
Oga add G37 nah angry

How's our G?
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by king406(m): 9:36pm On Oct 03, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

How's our G?
still going strong. Its now on 19 inch black rims wrapped in 245/40/19 tires cool. I just need to get it lowered now.
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Eddee(m): 8:28pm On Oct 04, 2020
king406:
still going strong. Its now on 19 inch black rims wrapped in 245/40/19 tires cool. I just need to get it lowered now.

Baba na for naija you dey drive dis car? shocked

As for rim size, my former 06 M35 came with factory 19’s. I was assuming newer babies like the Gs will be wrapped in taller wheels?
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:34pm On Oct 04, 2020
Eddee:
[/b]

As for rim size, my former 06 M35 came with factory 19’s. I was assuming newer babies like the Gs will be wrapped in taller wheels?

18" on the Sport models. 17 on the regular ones.
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by king406(m): 9:46pm On Oct 04, 2020
Eddee:
[/b]

mine came with 18s cos its awd. I should’ve gone with 20s actually. I live in abuja, no portholes here.
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Eddee(m): 9:53pm On Oct 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

18" on the Sport models. 17 on the regular ones.

Ah I see.

king406:
mine came with 18s cos its awd. I should’ve gone with 20s actually. I live in abuja, no portholes here.

Makes perfect sense, there’s nothing I fear like low-profiles on the deep seaports or should I say craters scattered around the roads I frequently ply.
Re: Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox by Elsueno: 2:01am On Oct 05, 2020
Most people love autos because it's easier to drive.

Most Nigerians choose automatic cars because it's easier to SELL grin

Me on D other hand, I buy what I love to drive, be it manual or auto, Suck the life out of it cheesy. Life is too short to be buying cars I don't really enjoy for D purpose of pleasing a future buyer

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Clearing Of Car At Port / Meet The Most Luxurious & Safest Keke Napep You Will Ever Find In Nigeria.photos / "Japan Honda Crv Vs American Honda Crv" Which Is Stronger?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.