Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,909 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc (942 Views)

Practical Evidence that What Reno Said About Yourbas is True / Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City / The First Capital City Of Nigeria, Was Not Lagos Or Abuja Or Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by Wisemfon(m): 11:58am On Oct 04, 2020
Benin city when compare to London!!!
When the Portuguese first “discovered” the city in 1485, they were stunned to find this vast kingdom made of hundreds of interlocked cities and villages in the middle of the African jungle. They called it the “Great City of Benin”, at a time when there were hardly any other places in Africa the Europeans acknowledged as a city. Indeed, they classified Benin City as one of the most beautiful and best planned cities in the world.
In 1691, the Portuguese ship captain
Lourenco Pinto observed : “Great Benin, where the king resides, is larger than Lisbon; all the streets run straight and as far as the eye can see. The houses are large, especially that of the king, which is richly decorated and has fine columns. The city is wealthy and industrious. It is so well governed that theft is unknown and the people live in such security that they have no doors to their houses.”
In contrast, London at the same time is
described by Bruce Holsinger, professor of English at the University of Virginia, as being a city of “thievery, prostitution, murder, bribery and a thriving black market made the medieval city ripe for exploitation by those with a skill for the quick blade or picking a pocket”.
The early foreign explorers’ descriptions of Benin City portrayed it as a place free of crime and hunger, with large streets and houses kept clean; a city filled with courteous, honest people, and run by a centralised and highly sophisticated bureaucracy.
what is the story now
Can we still claim these ?
Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by Etrusen(m): 1:21pm On Oct 04, 2020
Wisemfon:
Benin city when compare to London!!!
When the Portuguese first “discovered” the city in 1485, they were stunned to find this vast kingdom made of hundreds of interlocked cities and villages in the middle of the African jungle. They called it the “Great City of Benin”, at a time when there were hardly any other places in Africa the Europeans acknowledged as a city. Indeed, they classified Benin City as one of the most beautiful and best planned cities in the world.
In 1691, the Portuguese ship captain
Lourenco Pinto observed : “Great Benin, where the king resides, is larger than Lisbon; all the streets run straight and as far as the eye can see. The houses are large, especially that of the king, which is richly decorated and has fine columns. The city is wealthy and industrious. It is so well governed that theft is unknown and the people live in such security that they have no doors to their houses.”
In contrast, London at the same time is
described by Bruce Holsinger, professor of English at the University of Virginia, as being a city of “thievery, prostitution, murder, bribery and a thriving black market made the medieval city ripe for exploitation by those with a skill for the quick blade or picking a pocket”.
The early foreign explorers’ descriptions of Benin City portrayed it as a place free of crime and hunger, with large streets and houses kept clean; a city filled with courteous, honest people, and run by a centralised and highly sophisticated bureaucracy.
what is the story now
Can we still claim these ?

lovely
Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by gregyboy(m): 2:02pm On Oct 04, 2020
Nigeria had made benin and edo people retrogress bad influence corrupt good manners

Edo would be great again
Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by AreaFada2: 3:02am On Oct 05, 2020
Wait for tribalists with feelings of inferiority disputing what we knew long ago to be true.

They will say it was HRM The Departed Oba Erediauwa who made it up.

Instead of them to use it to realize that collectively, Africans were not in anyway mentally behind others centuries ago.

1 Like

Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by RedboneSmith(m): 5:09am On Oct 05, 2020
gregyboy:
Nigeria had made benin and edo people retrogress bad influence corrupt good manners

Edo would be great again

Quit blaming Nigeria.

Benin was a magnificent impressive city in earlier centuries, but by the time of the Expedition of 1897, the place had been reduced to a squalid underpopulated place no bigger than a village, with bodies rotting in various parts of it, and buildings collapsing with no one to take care of them. Internal strife wrecked the city before Nigeria was created. Quit blaming others.

1 Like

Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by gregyboy(m): 7:40am On Oct 05, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Quit blaming Nigeria.

Benin was a magnificent impressive city in earlier centuries, but by the time of the Expedition of 1897, the place had been reduced to a squalid underpopulated place no bigger than a village, with bodies rotting in various parts of it, and buildings collapsing with no one to take care of them. Internal strife wrecked the city before Nigeria was created. Quit blaming others.

These derogatory words is not needed, if benin was reduced to a village does it now connote to its future failure
Do you how many times benin was burnt down in ancient times, go read benin civil war, we could have stood as a country independently but the British wanted to hide their tracks of injustice
And further punish the kingdom, they made us denounce the various vassal under the empire forcefully, soon as the country nigeria began edo was left behind to nuture her wounds, but we picked up fast than they expected, corruption was not in the benin empire, stealing was not, throwing dirt was forbidden and so many more of all this began , as soon as the country began corruption start setting in into the kingdom, our religion we held so dearly was stigmatized by other tribes and they began nickname us degratory names,
We need out of this shit hole, we would be way better by now if we remained independent as a country definitely there will be some fall backs, but we could been way better,
Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by RedboneSmith(m): 7:56am On Oct 05, 2020
gregyboy:

These derogatory words is not needed, if benin was reduced to a village does it now connote to its future failure
Do you how many times benin was burnt down in ancient times, go read benin civil war, we could have stood as a country independently but the British wanted to hide their tracks of injustice
And further punish the kingdom, they made us denounce the various vassal under the empire forcefully, soon as the country nigeria began edo was left behind to nuture her wounds, but we picked up fast than they expected, corruption was not in the benin empire, stealing was not, throwing dirt was forbidden and so many more of all this began , as soon as the country began corruption start setting in into the kingdom, our religion we held so dearly was stigmatized by other tribes and they began nickname us degratory names,
We need out of this shit hole, we would be way better by now if we remained independent as a country definitely there will be some fall backs, but we could been way better,

1. I did not use derogatory words. I used words used by people who visited Benin in the 18th and 19th centuries.

2. I do not wish Benin bad, neither did I say Benin will never rise again.

3. All I was telling you is to not put the decline of Benin on Nigeria. It was already in decline before the birth of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by gregyboy(m): 7:59am On Oct 05, 2020
RedboneSmith:

1. I did not use derogatory words. I used words used by people who visited Benin in the 18th and 19th centuries.

2. I do not wish Benin bad, neither did I say Benin will never rise again.

3. All I was telling you is to not put the decline of Benin on Nigeria. It was already in decline before the birth of Nigeria.

Benin had several times decline if you would take time to study and read benin history but they always pickup very fast, my blames still goes to Nigeria and the British,
With a solid history of our past i believe benin would overcome is corruption struggles again

And if they used those degratory words, you decided to use it too, without any consciousness regarding hatespeech or tribal bashing to the benin people, mtcheew
Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by Wisemfon(m): 11:19am On Oct 05, 2020
Nigeria has fallen
Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by RedboneSmith(m): 11:54am On Oct 05, 2020
gregyboy:

Benin had several times decline if you would take time to study and read benin history but they always pickup very fast, my blames still goes to Nigeria and the British,
With a solid history of our past i believe benin would overcome is corruption struggles again

And if they used those degratory words, you decided to use it too, without any consciousness regarding hatespeech or tribal bashing to the benin people, mtcheew

What is even wrong with this boy? Which kind emotional nonsense is this? Hate speech? Tribal bashing? Because I told you Benin was a shadow of itself in the nineteenth century? A statement I made in correction of your earlier submission that Nigeria was responsible for Benin's retrogression?

Biko shift with all this emotional bullstool!

1 Like

Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by gregyboy(m): 12:59pm On Oct 05, 2020
RedboneSmith:

What is even wrong with this boy? Which kind emotional nonsense is this? Hate speech? Tribal bashing? Because I told you Benin was a shadow of itself in the nineteenth century? A statement I made in correction of your earlier submission that Nigeria was responsible for Benin's retrogression?

Biko shift with all this emotional bullstool!

I should be calling you boy instead, because everything you made mentioned holds no point, how does decaying bodies found in benin relate to benin setbacks in present times,....

Am just schoolng you to read more on benin history before you make wrong assumptions,

Benin on several occasions had been reduced to a village, after several civil wars but it still regained itself, but what we having today is opposite benin or edo should be way ahead, african countries if it was independent, because it had the political and international power to do such, nigeria and the British destroyed those qualities,

Edo republic is what we want, we dont want nigeria, nothing have they giving us apart from corruption and disorganization they wont even support our cultural heritage and help edo promote his tourism,

We want better, nigeria is a mess
Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by crackhaus: 9:58pm On Oct 05, 2020
When has westerners/colonialists ever been known to take development anywhere they occupied?

Pillaging, exploitation of natural resources, destruction of the culture, etc... These are the vices they were most known for.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by gregyboy(m): 9:21am On Oct 06, 2020
crackhaus:
When has westerners/colonialists ever been known to take development anywhere they occupied?

Pillaging, exploitation of natural resources, destruction of the culture, etc... These are the vices they were most known for.

How about the blacks, are you so racial blind that you Guy's now channel you hate to race...

Nawa ooo and more of you are on the loose out there instead of fighting the corrupt afrcan leaders who have enslaved you, you channel the hate to comfortable white who dont give a Bleep

Misplaced orientation

Dont worry soon you all will blame god too, if the white are no more for your underdevelopement
Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by crackhaus: 9:53am On Oct 06, 2020
gregyboy:

How about the blacks, are so racial blind that you
Guy's now channel you hate to race...

Nawa ooo and more of you are on the loose out there instead of fighting the corrupt afrcan leaders who have enslaved you, you channel the hate to comfortable white

Misplaced orientation

Dont worry soon you all will blame god too, if the white are no more for your underdevelopement
What in Jericho's walls are you ranting about?

2 Likes

Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by gregyboy(m): 10:01am On Oct 06, 2020
crackhaus:

What in Jericho's walls are you ranting about?

Stop racial stigmatism and hate, channel that energy to our african leaders
Re: Benin City: Evidence That Nigeria Was Better Than London, Security, Hunger Etc by crackhaus: 10:08am On Oct 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Stop racial stigmatism and hate, channel that energy to our african leaders
I'm sorry, I don't follow...

So it's hate and racial whatever to state the truth about what the colonial masters did to many ancient African civilizations?

(1) (Reply)

Did The Aros Colonise The Efik,ibibio, Kalabari, Ogonni,bonny People. / I Found This Ancient Ruin In Nigeria No One Knows About / Strangest Traditions Of The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.