Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,586 members, 7,820,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests (12735 Views)

Lawmaker, Abdullahi Aliyu Ahmed Threatens Legal Action Against Air Peace / Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) / Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by tegini: 11:31am On Oct 05, 2020
U
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by Wickedtruths: 11:31am On Oct 05, 2020

1 Like

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by Dekingmoses(m): 11:32am On Oct 05, 2020
I sell original power bank WhatsApp 09059023839

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by saintol(m): 11:32am On Oct 05, 2020
Covid 19 has now become another source of revenue. Every second, every minute, every hour, every day... the Nigerian in me is being killed.

3 Likes

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by skywall: 11:32am On Oct 05, 2020
Aba market should have started making their own testing kit
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by ignis: 11:34am On Oct 05, 2020
What a country
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by sportybet117: 11:35am On Oct 05, 2020
What happened to the billions and test kits donated?
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by lexy2014: 11:39am On Oct 05, 2020
MoriamoGideon:
Well, I always want to lash out at government but I don't see any wrong in this directive

Nigerian passengers flying into the country are complaining bitterly about the series of obstacles they have had to face while undertaking the government enforced COVID-19 tests on arrival from other countries.

Some of the passengers have alleged cases of duplicated charges for the COVID-19 tests yet they end up not being tested as the designated labs cannot be found. Even when found, some of the labs are beyond reach. In one video seen by Nairametrics, the passenger claims the lab was only located in Abuja despite being told that it was nationwide.

Others have lamented about being forced to run multiple tests, at the threat of being barred from leaving the country for failure to take these tests. Passengers have also alleged that the entire process is looking like an elaborate scam designed to extort Nigerians and frustrate travelers who are eager to reconnect with their families.

Recall that Nairametrics reported last month that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced rules about COVID-19 PCR testing before entering the country.

“It is mandatory for intending travellers to carry-out a COVID-19 PCR test at least 96 hours before travel to Nigeria,” the NCDC said.

The NCDC also said that the NCAA had notified airlines that passengers to Nigeria who couldn’t pay for the test online could still board flights, as long as they had COVID-19 PCR negative test results.

National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on Covid-19, Dr. Sani Aliyu, announced last month that:

“To enable early detection and reduce the risk of further transmission based on data and our current laboratory capacity, all incoming travelers must be tested by a certified private laboratory after 7 days of returning to the country.”

In a video seen by Nairametrics, which was shot by a visibly irritated journalist a few moments after arriving the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja, the journalist protested that despite doing a free test in London, he was still forced to pay N48,000.00 and was given nothing but a piece of paper, and told to go to a clinic that could only be found in Abuja after he was told that the clinic had branches nationwide.

He said, “I wanna (sic) change what is happening; people cannot go 16 hours on a flight and arrive to fill forms, are we goats?”

A Syrian national, filling forms alongside the protesting Nigerian, said that he had passed through 3 different airports before arriving in Abuja, but only at the Nnamdi Azikiwe airport was he told to stand in long queues and fill forms.

The journalist stated that the NCDC portal was not working, and he registered his displeasure saying, “I arrived Nigeria and there was a long queue of people waiting to pay money for COVID-19 tests. Is the one I did in London not enough? Are Nigerian hospitals better than London hospitals… I had to pay N48 thousand and I was given a [piece of] paper and told to go to an Ahab Clinic. I was told the clinic has branches, but they only have a branch in Abuja.

“What it means is that I have to leave my hometown to Abuja and go back to Lagos for my flight. The government is sitting down waiting for passengers in order to extort them.

“The government plants its people there (airport) to extort them.”

Another video of a frustrated passenger seen on the Brekete Family Radio Show decried the poor delivery services at the clinics and the multiple orders to pay the sum of N42,750.00 or else he would be barred from leaving the country back to Sweden. The passenger flew in from Sweden only to be frustrated as he seek to return.

He said he was given the option of paying online or paying when he arrived at the airport. On arrival, he was debited the sum of N42,750 through a POS transaction, and given a lab to collate his result. However, the addresses of the labs couldn’t even be found on Google Maps.

He disclosed that he later found the lab after asking for directions. While at the lab, he was told that his results were sent to a centre in Lagos to be processed, but the next day, the lab told him and other passengers on the same flight that their names were not on the systems and that they had to pay another N42,750 for another test result.

What this means
Despite the NCDC’s orders that passengers flying into Nigeria can conduct COVID-19 tests at least 96 hours before entering Nigeria, the Nigerian Government still expects passengers who have conducted tests to pay hefty sums for tests that should be done for free.

Also, with the directive that passengers must conduct local tests in accredited private clinic facilities, passengers are being given very poor service by the labs, as it is obvious that some of the labs don’t have the capacity to run the tests, while charging passengers multiple times to conduct tests after misplacing their results.

https://nairametrics.com/2020/10/03/fake-labs-travel-frustrations-passengers-allege-covid-19-test-scams-at-airport/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by lexy2014: 11:40am On Oct 05, 2020
tot:

I agree. They are right on this. They just need to put in strict guidelines so that it won't become a case of those yellow fever cards that used to be hawked at the airport.

https://nairametrics.com/2020/10/03/fake-labs-travel-frustrations-passengers-allege-covid-19-test-scams-at-airport/

1 Like

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by 4four(m): 11:47am On Oct 05, 2020
Some time I do wonder why we do pay tax in this country because we virtually do everything ourself

5 Likes

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by tot(f): 11:51am On Oct 05, 2020
lexy2014:

There is nothing wrong with the proposed process, the issue as always is implementation, that's what should be addressed. We can't afford to let people fly into the country without proper checks.
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by Josywhyte: 11:53am On Oct 05, 2020
Why should they pay for the full cost of their tests upon arrival into the country? What happened to the billions and trillions of naira that was given for the well being of the citizens of this country? Shame on you!

1 Like

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by rovher: 11:54am On Oct 05, 2020
funmike83:
what can you get for free in this country ? absolutely nothing . they prefer to embezzle it than use to help the citizens . na OYO u dey for Nigeria . They are only interested in collecting from poor citizens . Instead of palliatives na increment all around we get . useless government .
I already lost hope in Nigeria a freaking long time ago ... There's so much terrible issues going on here in Nigeria, how many do wana address... Corruption in every sector ... Too bad ... Can't wait to get out of this shithole ... No hope or future for anyone if you aren't on that top table ...

2 Likes

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by rovher: 11:56am On Oct 05, 2020
Josywhyte:
Why should they pay for the full cost of their tests upon arrival into the country? What happened to the billions and trillions of naira that was given for the well being of the citizens of this country? Shame on you!
My dear that one na voice note oo (audio money)

1 Like

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by rovher: 11:57am On Oct 05, 2020
4four:
Some time I do wonder why we do pay tax in this country because we virtually do everything ourself
Everything o, from health, security, education... The list goes on ...

1 Like

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by lexy2014: 12:07pm On Oct 05, 2020
tot:

There is nothing wrong with the proposed process, the issue as always is implementation, that's what should be addressed. We can't afford to let people fly into the country without proper checks.

What's d difference between "the proposed process" and what is being implemented?
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by AerialMapper: 12:09pm On Oct 05, 2020
Fantastically corrupt nation!

I was just reading a report where intending passengers are give false positive results and asked for money to help them change it to negative.
You see this country; when they bar Nigerians because of this nonsense we are doing then we will know.

Passengers paying for this test with no strict regulations and controls only fuels corruption!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by Ugaboy: 12:22pm On Oct 05, 2020
xcellentgraphic:
Why. ...this govt don't want to help the masses at all....abeg check my signature jare
[img]how did u add background color to your signature[/img]
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by tot(f): 12:25pm On Oct 05, 2020
lexy2014:

What's d difference between "the proposed process" and what is being implemented?

You are free to re-read the article and answer the question yourself.
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by lexy2014: 12:26pm On Oct 05, 2020
tot:

You are free to re-read the article and answer the question yourself.

Aren't u d author of this comment?:

tot:

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by tot(f): 12:32pm On Oct 05, 2020
lexy2014:

Aren't u d author of this comment?:

No, it's my doppelganger undecided
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by lexy2014: 12:46pm On Oct 05, 2020
tot:

No, it's my doppelganger undecided

Is it u responding, who has been responding or is it ur doppelganger?
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by taiwo92(m): 12:59pm On Oct 05, 2020
lexy2014:

Nigerian passengers flying into the country are complaining bitterly about the series of obstacles they have had to face while undertaking the government enforced COVID-19 tests on arrival from other countries.

Some of the passengers have alleged cases of duplicated charges for the COVID-19 tests yet they end up not being tested as the designated labs cannot be found. Even when found, some of the labs are beyond reach. In one video seen by Nairametrics, the passenger claims the lab was only located in Abuja despite being told that it was nationwide.

Others have lamented about being forced to run multiple tests, at the threat of being barred from leaving the country for failure to take these tests. Passengers have also alleged that the entire process is looking like an elaborate scam designed to extort Nigerians and frustrate travelers who are eager to reconnect with their families.

Recall that Nairametrics reported last month that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced rules about COVID-19 PCR testing before entering the country.

“It is mandatory for intending travellers to carry-out a COVID-19 PCR test at least 96 hours before travel to Nigeria,” the NCDC said.

The NCDC also said that the NCAA had notified airlines that passengers to Nigeria who couldn’t pay for the test online could still board flights, as long as they had COVID-19 PCR negative test results.

National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on Covid-19, Dr. Sani Aliyu, announced last month that:

“To enable early detection and reduce the risk of further transmission based on data and our current laboratory capacity, all incoming travelers must be tested by a certified private laboratory after 7 days of returning to the country.”

In a video seen by Nairametrics, which was shot by a visibly irritated journalist a few moments after arriving the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja, the journalist protested that despite doing a free test in London, he was still forced to pay N48,000.00 and was given nothing but a piece of paper, and told to go to a clinic that could only be found in Abuja after he was told that the clinic had branches nationwide.

He said, “I wanna (sic) change what is happening; people cannot go 16 hours on a flight and arrive to fill forms, are we goats?”

A Syrian national, filling forms alongside the protesting Nigerian, said that he had passed through 3 different airports before arriving in Abuja, but only at the Nnamdi Azikiwe airport was he told to stand in long queues and fill forms.

The journalist stated that the NCDC portal was not working, and he registered his displeasure saying, “I arrived Nigeria and there was a long queue of people waiting to pay money for COVID-19 tests. Is the one I did in London not enough? Are Nigerian hospitals better than London hospitals… I had to pay N48 thousand and I was given a [piece of] paper and told to go to an Ahab Clinic. I was told the clinic has branches, but they only have a branch in Abuja.

“What it means is that I have to leave my hometown to Abuja and go back to Lagos for my flight. The government is sitting down waiting for passengers in order to extort them.

“The government plants its people there (airport) to extort them.”

Another video of a frustrated passenger seen on the Brekete Family Radio Show decried the poor delivery services at the clinics and the multiple orders to pay the sum of N42,750.00 or else he would be barred from leaving the country back to Sweden. The passenger flew in from Sweden only to be frustrated as he seek to return.

He said he was given the option of paying online or paying when he arrived at the airport. On arrival, he was debited the sum of N42,750 through a POS transaction, and given a lab to collate his result. However, the addresses of the labs couldn’t even be found on Google Maps.

He disclosed that he later found the lab after asking for directions. While at the lab, he was told that his results were sent to a centre in Lagos to be processed, but the next day, the lab told him and other passengers on the same flight that their names were not on the systems and that they had to pay another N42,750 for another test result.

What this means
Despite the NCDC’s orders that passengers flying into Nigeria can conduct COVID-19 tests at least 96 hours before entering Nigeria, the Nigerian Government still expects passengers who have conducted tests to pay hefty sums for tests that should be done for free.

Also, with the directive that passengers must conduct local tests in accredited private clinic facilities, passengers are being given very poor service by the labs, as it is obvious that some of the labs don’t have the capacity to run the tests, while charging passengers multiple times to conduct tests after misplacing their results.

Am not moving an inch from where I am. Have already told my babe, if she can not wait for me she is free to marry any one that comes her way. I can't pass through all these stress.

2 Likes

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by Jaqenhghar: 1:23pm On Oct 05, 2020
tot:

It seems you dont know what is going on. People pay to be tested and are not being tested. Their money is taken but nothing is done. Is it clear now? You cant afford this you cant afford that but the country is one big petri dish of the COVID gone wild you are still here parrotting horseshit

1 Like

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by sunkomite(m): 1:25pm On Oct 05, 2020
funmike83:
what can you get for free in this country ? absolutely nothing . they prefer to embezzle it than use to help the citizens . na OYO u dey for Nigeria . They are only interested in collecting from poor citizens . Instead of palliatives na increment all around we get . useless government .
My dear, i just landed in Ghana this morning, i paid $150 for the test at kotoka international airport, its costlier than the one i did in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by tot(f): 1:29pm On Oct 05, 2020
[s]
Jaqenhghar:

It seems you dont know what is going on. People pay to be tested and are not being tested. Their money is taken but nothing is done. Is it clear now? You cant afford this you cant afford that but the country is one big petri dish of the COVID gone wild you are still here parrotting horseshit
[/s]
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by joeluv: 1:53pm On Oct 05, 2020
In Washington DC at private labs it is $250. It is crazily expensive and private land are preferred becos they result don’t take time.

1 Like

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by babatunji36117: 2:01pm On Oct 05, 2020
Am not moving an centimeter from where I am. Have already told my gal, if she can not wait for me she is freedom to marry any two that comes her thing. I can't pass through all these pressure.
Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by Kalusam(m): 2:17pm On Oct 05, 2020
What about the less than $25 test kit our scientist devloped as reported by CNN? https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/03/africa/nigeria-cheaper-covid-19-test-kits-intl/index.html

1 Like

Re: Sani Aliyu: Travellers Must Bear Full Costs Of COVID-19 Tests by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 05, 2020
Nothing wrong with Proposed Process you say? Are you kidding me?

These people have months to plan for airport reopening, and this is the best proposed process they came up with?

Website not working most of the time, long queue on arrival, filling out paperwork (defeating the whole point of social distancing and minimizing contact), few labs for tests (concentrated mostly in Lagos and Abuja).

Please if you have not experienced this, just keep quiet. It is very bad out there, and the bad implementation is due to a poorly proposed process.

tot:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Canadian Deputy High Commission - Trv - Visitor Visa / Your Top 5 Countries To Migrate Too / Air Peace To Fly Dubai, London, Other Routes In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.