Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,454 members, 7,826,741 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) (8132 Views)

MOTIVATION | DEMOTIVATION - Immigrating To Canada - Our Story So Far / 10 Things To Know Before Moving Abroad For Study - Nairalander Reveals. Photos / Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by gforce5: 11:36am On Mar 24, 2023
I have been seeing threads in the travel section about the cost of japaing. You have people throwing silly figures such as N2 million, N2.5million or even N1.5 million. These people are not serious about migrating. That amount was decent 10 years ago but not now.Let me tell you something, the cost of a holiday abroad alone (North America & Europe) right now is nothing less than N3 million. Flight tickets alone costs nothing less than N1.2 million depending on the airline. If you don't have a second passport, then you need a visa to travel to all of these destinations. The average cost of visas is usually about N150K. You will need a transit visa if you are not flying direct. That's close to N500k for two different visas. How about accommodation? If you are traveling to a country where you don't know anyone, you have to set aside at least N1 million depending on the duration of your stay. What about daily living expenses such as food, cloths, transport and goods? All that will set you back another N1million.

All I have mentioned above is just for tourism. If you want to japa, you have to come up with double the amount if you don't want to be stranded abroad. Even migrating to countries in Central and South America costs money. If you don't have up to N8million in your account please forget about Japaing to the west. The only places you can immigrate to are other African countries such as Ivory Coast, Senegal, Kenya and Rwanda. Even Ghana is no longer affordable for Nigerians. It's better to invest that small sum on a side hustle that will generate bigger income. When the time comes, you can buy a second passport via citizenship by investment like the 1% are doing and travel abroad at your own convenience. My two cents.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:41am On Mar 24, 2023
That's not true. Not every country is the USA and Canada. 3 million can still take you to countries like Brazil if you can get admitted to their schools since theres no tuition fees. The 3 million can be spent on flight tickets and initial living expenses for like 3 months. Someone having 3 million and going to another African country is stupidity.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by ednut1(m): 11:47am On Mar 24, 2023
Depending of when you buy tickets there are flights of 600k to 800k to Europe and North America. The 1.2m is for those buying at short notice like a week or 2 before travel. The bitter truth is that many of those countries with easy immigration have been shown pepper by Nigerians and dont want us anymore. Each day where to japa for Nigerians becomes limited and hard. Just see what some Nigerians are doing in india, South Africa, Cyprus, china, indonesia,.Singapore etc

12 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Zonefree(m): 11:56am On Mar 24, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
That's not true. Not every country is the USA and Canada. 3 million can still take you to countries like Brazil if you can get admitted to their schools since theres no tuition fees. The 3 million can be spent on flight tickets and initial living expenses for like 3 months. Someone having 3 million and going to another African country is stupidity.
@bolded. So, if the money come finish for 3 months, wetin go happen? You'll start requesting money from your family here in Nigeria?

6 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Zonefree(m): 11:57am On Mar 24, 2023
ednut1:
Depending of when you buy tickets there are flights of 600k to 800k to Europe and North America. The 1.2m is for those buying at short notice like a week or 2 before travel. The bitter truth is that many of those countries with easy immigration have been shown pepper by Nigerians and dont want us anymore. Each day where to japa for Nigerians becomes limited and hard. Just see what some Nigerians are doing in india, South Africa, Cyprus, china, indonesia,.Singapore etc
Cyprus is a dead zone, nothing is happening here.

3 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:12pm On Mar 24, 2023
Zonefree:

@bolded. So, if the money come finish for 3 months, wetin go happen? You'll start requesting money from your family here in Nigeria?

You go and find work to do. Brazil is the 9th largest economy in the world. If you can't find something that can help you pay rent and feed then be coming back to naija. If not for how difficult things have gotten recently 3 million will pay for full tuition fees in countries like Poland, Czech republic and Austria but it's not easy getting visas to these places now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Gerrard59(m): 2:14pm On Mar 24, 2023
ednut1:
Depending of when you buy tickets there are flights of 600k to 800k to Europe and North America. The 1.2m is for those buying at short notice like a week or 2 before travel. The bitter truth is that many of those countries with easy immigration have been shown pepper by Nigerians and dont want us anymore. Each day where to japa for Nigerians becomes limited and hard. Just see what some Nigerians are doing in india, South Africa, Cyprus, china, Indonesia,. Singapore etc

That must have been more than a decade ago. The set of Nigerians in Singapore are way disciplined, highly skilled and richer than most places, I am willing to wager. If you see a Nigerian who is a Singaporean permanent resident, you suppose cut cap for the person.

3 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Gerrard59(m): 2:25pm On Mar 24, 2023
This is the reason the Nigerian economy suppose to grow exponentially so that residents can have significant discretionary income to enjoy themselves. Travelling for holidays was common and affordable during Obasanjo's to Jonathan's administrations. Critics would say na because of high oil prices, but forget that Jonathan actually experienced low oil prices in 2014, but annual GDP growth was 6%+. A figure that Buhari has never attained even when prices climbed past $100. The oil sef did not flow unrestricted sef as there was a massive oil theft sotey Elumelu begin dey cry for Twitter.

In 2015, Ndi intellectwats campaigned and voted for Buhari because they thought - foolishly anyway - that he would usher in prosperity.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by ednut1(m): 2:25pm On Mar 24, 2023
Gerrard59:

That must have been more than a decade ago. The set of Nigerians in Singapore are way disciplined, highly skilled and richer than most places, I am willing to wager. If you see a Nigerian who is a Singaporean permanent resident, you suppose cut cap for the person.
not those one na. The Nigerians in tech, finance, medicine and the likes in UAE for example are not among those doing rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Gerrard59(m): 2:43pm On Mar 24, 2023
ednut1:
not those one na. The Nigerians in tech, finance, medicine and the likes in UAE for example are not among those doing rubbish.

I understand your point, but Singapore has a stricter immigration policy than the UAE. In my opinion, a Nigerian who is a permanent resident there should be accorded greater respect than those in Canada. The immigration policy for Nigerians got stricter after 2006/7.

2 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by gforce5: 2:53pm On Mar 24, 2023
I referenced other African countries as that money can go a long way in those countries. The only downside is that their passports are useless internationally (with the exception of Botswana, South Africa and Namibia). I always recommend Brazil to clients/strangers but the problem is the distance (no direct flights) ease of acquiring a Brazilian visa and costs (the most economically viable region in Brazil is in the south and its living expenses aren't cheap).
tensazangetsu20:

1 Like

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:57pm On Mar 24, 2023
gforce5:
I referenced other African countries as that money can go a long way in those countries. The only downside is that their passports are useless internationally (with the exception of Botswana, South Africa and Namibia). I always recommend Brazil to clients/strangers but the problem is the distance (no direct flights) ease of acquiring a Brazilian visa and costs (the most economically viable region in Brazil is in the south and its living expenses aren't cheap).

I don't know which African countries you have gone to but 3 million is nothing in countries like Gabon and ghana and you will be worst off than you left Nigeria. Unemployment in south Africa, Namibia and Botswana are the highest in Africa. They even have higher unemployment rates than Nigeria. I wonder what a foreigner will go there to do. If one has 3 million I will recommend Brazil or if possible Mexico. The only way I can recommend an African country is if you have like 200k.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by gforce5: 4:27pm On Mar 24, 2023
True. I recently flew KLM and the airfare was about $745 which was not bad at all. As for those easy countries, well, I've always said that no serious country would easily issue out visas to Nigerians as our compatriots have this knack for abusing the hospitality of their hosts. Easy visas means that all caliber of Nigerians will flood that country and abuse the system. Nigerians are just lawless and stubborn. They don't like to listen. I mean, who goes to an Arab country to practice cultism and prostitution??
ednut1:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by juniorstar(m): 4:59pm On Mar 24, 2023
Not totally true...av guys who went to us on fully funded masters scholarship with zero naira

3 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by LogicBomb8: 5:15pm On Mar 24, 2023
juniorstar:
Not totally true...av guys who went to us on fully funded masters scholarship with zero naira
amaze me
Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Flora2Sweet: 5:28pm On Mar 24, 2023
[Bro more update abeg.. incase person get there for mind...
Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by HRprof: 8:41pm On Mar 24, 2023
OP I travel with low budget less than what you mentioned. I have been to Europe with 500k including flight tickets .
Visa fee is not upto 150k you mentioned if done DIY. {Agent dey use una open office)
Do you know what is called TRAVEL HACK ? I use the formula to travel with very low budget.
If you book early flight to Europe you can get 350k return tickets.
Visa fee to Europe is not up to 80k
You can get free accommodation or cheap hostel and Food is very cheap eat from local wink
I will be heading to 3 different countries in the few months from now and I will document my trip and create a thread to teach how to travel with low budget. 😎😎

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Roniyke1234: 9:11pm On Mar 24, 2023
HRprof:
OP I travel with low budget less than what you mentioned. I have been to Europe with 500k including flight tickets .
Visa fee is not upto 150k you mentioned if done DIY. {Agent dey use una open office)
Do you know what is called TRAVEL HACK ? I use the formula to travel with very low budget.
You can get free accommodation or cheap hostel and Food is very cheap eat from local wink
I will be heading to 3 different countries in the few months from now and I will document my trip and create a thread to teach how to travel with low budget. 😎😎

Please tell us more on Travel Hack...

4 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Pimpstar: 11:40pm On Mar 24, 2023
HRprof:

Hmm angry
Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by HRprof: 7:53am On Mar 25, 2023
Roniyke1234:

Don’t worry I will open a thread soon for it with full details. The truth is people use agent for their travel packages and be shouting 2milli 5mili smiley wink na agent collect half of the millions smiley travel solo doesn’t cost much if done DIY

6 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Gerrard59(m): 10:27am On Mar 25, 2023
Roniyke1234:

It is do it yourself (DIY). Before Covid, air tickets were very cheap, so anyone who has access to the Internet can book it and move.

3 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Gerrard59(m): 10:29am On Mar 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I don't know which African countries you have gone to but 3 million is nothing in countries like Gabon and ghana and you will be worst off than you left Nigeria. Unemployment in south Africa, Namibia and Botswana are the highest in Africa. They even have higher unemployment rates than Nigeria. I wonder what a foreigner will go there to do. If one has 3 million I will recommend Brazil or if possible Mexico. The only way I can recommend an African country is if you have like 200k.

Honestly, Nigeria is better off economically than all other African countries (apart from maybe Egypt and South Africa) if the country puts her security in-check. Namibia is just a gigantic Taraba.

3 Likes

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:32am On Mar 25, 2023
Gerrard59:

Honestly, Nigeria is better off economically than all other African countries (apart from maybe Egypt and South Africa) if the country puts her security in-check. Namibia is just a gigantic Taraba.

Egypts economy has currently collapsed. Only south Africa is better than Nigeria economically in Africa and it's even a rubbish country to go to.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by Roniyke1234: 11:13am On Mar 25, 2023
HRprof:

Don’t worry I will open a thread soon for it with full details. The truth is people use agent for their travel packages and be shouting 2milli 5mili smiley wink na agent collect half of the millions smiley travel solo doesn’t cost much if done DIY

Thank you... Please tag me when you create the thread.

1 Like

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by bennyflipy(m): 1:49pm On Mar 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

You go and find work to do. Brazil is the 9th largest economy in the world. If you can't find something that can help you pay rent and feed then be coming back to naija. If not for how difficult things have gotten recently 3 million will pay for full tuition fees in countries like Poland, Czech republic and Austria but it's not easy getting visas to these places now.

What about countries like Chile or Argentina??

I heard Portuguese is very difficult, that unlike Spanish that one could learn in 1-2 years.

1 Like

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:52pm On Mar 25, 2023
bennyflipy:

What about countries like Chile or Argentina??

I heard Portuguese is very difficult, that unlike Spanish that one could learn in 1-2 years.

Chilean universities are expensive. I wont advise Argentina. The economy isn't doing good at the moment.
Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by bennyflipy(m): 2:23pm On Mar 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Chilean universities are expensive. I wont advise Argentina. The economy isn't doing good at the moment.

So economically Brazil is the best in South America?
Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:34pm On Mar 25, 2023
bennyflipy:

So economically Brazil is the best in South America?

Chile has the best economy in south America then Uruguay before Brazil. Brazil is bigger and has larger economy but on a per Capita income level those countries are better
Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by bennyflipy(m): 2:58pm On Mar 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Chile has the best economy in south America then Uruguay before Brazil. Brazil is bigger and has larger economy but on a per Capita income level those countries are better

Interesting, we don't read in Nigeria.

To imagine that people spend millions to the British government to go wash old oyibo yansh as job.

Make my money complete first, South America is the place to be. We Northerners don't like staying abroad for long sha

Is it advisable to go study course like Data science there?

1 Like

Re: Costs Of Immigrating Abroad For Nigerians (blunt Reality) by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:59pm On Mar 25, 2023
bennyflipy:

Interesting, we don't read in Nigeria.

To imagine that people spend millions to the British government to go wash old oyibo yansh as job.

Make my money complete first, South America is the place to be. We Northerners don't like staying abroad for long sha

Is it advisable to go study course like Data science there?

Why people go to UK is language barrier. Other countries are better than the UK even in Europe but you need to learn the language

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Canada Scam / SINGAPORE; Is It Okay To Work And Study There..please Help Needed Urgently / Nigerians That Live In Kosovo Rep.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.