Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,829 members, 7,828,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

My Cucumber Farm Dairy - Agriculture (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cucumber Farm Dairy (119177 Views)

My Profitable Cucumber Farm . / First 1 Acre Cucumber Farm In Ogun State Diary / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by LovesonBlezz(m): 6:30pm On Sep 16, 2021
I am about to set up a cucumber farm(1000 stands on a plot) after reading and following alot of cucumber threads here, this my first farming experience though! and l am giving my time 100% to it. I've just finished clearing the land, and l was discussing my irrigation plan with the man that lease the land to me, the man was like.. you don't need irrigation at all for now unless you want to plan again in December.... According to him the soil is very fertile has alot of water in it already, anyways from a layman view the land appears so to me grin ... Attached is the soil sample, what do you think pro's in the house

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by noeloge82(m): 7:03pm On Sep 16, 2021
LovesonBlezz:
I am about to set up a cucumber farm(1000 stands on a plot) after reading and following alot of cucumber threads here, this my first farming experience though! and l am giving my time 100% to it. I've just finished clearing the land, and l was discussing my irrigation plan with the man that lease the land to me, the man was like.. you don't need irrigation at all for now unless you want to plan again in December.... According to him the soil is very fertile has alot of water in it already, anyways from a layman view the land appears so to me grin ... Attached is the soil sample, what do you think pro's in the house

Obviously the soil is wet but what if we have a sudden rain stop for another 2 weeks don't forget cucumber needs enough water especially during fruiting and now we are gradually moving towards end of rainy season , sometimes during October we don't have steady rain so I will suggest u have a back up plain for irrigation as cucumber needs enough water especially during fruiting

2 Likes

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by orpeeh: 7:12pm On Sep 16, 2021
orpeeh:
awesome, what did you do differently is it your spraying regime or feeding plan or probably spacing?
still waiting for you answer boss
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Nezzjnr: 7:16pm On Sep 16, 2021
LovesonBlezz:
Hmmmmm no try am ooo

Better get a source of water

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by LovesonBlezz(m): 7:37pm On Sep 16, 2021
noeloge82:

Obviously the soil is wet but what if we have a sudden rain stop for another 2 weeks don't forget cucumber needs enough water especially during fruiting and now we are gradually moving towards end of rainy season , sometimes during October we don't have steady rain so I will suggest u have a back up plain for irrigation as cucumber needs enough water especially during fruiting

Obviously bro, actually there is a borehole very close to the farm, my plan is to get a Gp tank and store water from the borehole, l will be using long pipe and knapsack where necessary for the irrigation, hope this will suffice for now embarassed
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:00pm On Sep 16, 2021
LovesonBlezz:

Obviously bro, actually there is a borehole very close to the farm, my plan is to get a Gp tank and store water from the borehole, l will be using long pipe and knapsack where necessary for the irrigation, hope this will suffice for now embarassed
maybe you should start with 200 stand with that your irrigation plan...then expand if it goes well!

2 Likes

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:03pm On Sep 16, 2021
orpeeh:
still waiting for you answer boss
I didn't get your question like seriously..... have posted everything concerning the project.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by LovesonBlezz(m): 8:08pm On Sep 16, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
maybe you should start with 200 stand with that your irrigation plan...then expand if it goes well!

Ok boss, l was thinking with this and the rain supplementing l will be able pull through before the dry season sets in fully, anyways l will consider your suggestion. Thanks
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:54pm On Sep 16, 2021
LovesonBlezz:

Ok boss, l was thinking with this and the rain supplementing l will be able pull through before the dry season sets in fully, anyways l will consider your suggestion. Thanks
cucumber and water are 5&6, I nearly have hypertension early this year because my thought was at least one rain in two weeks, but sometimes it won't rain. Be sure to Look before you leap!
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by LovesonBlezz(m): 8:55pm On Sep 16, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
cucumber and water are 5&6, I nearly have hypertension early this year because my thought was at least one rain in two weeks, but sometimes it won't rain. Be sure to Look before you leap!
Sure bro
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Nezzjnr: 7:27am On Sep 19, 2021
Dry season Farmers oya oooo

Make una start to dey prepare.... November is here already.... If you know what I mean cool

Farmerakinloye6 I'm looking at running my Farm from November till March/April.

I have acquired my Seedlings Tray already for Uniform Growth... Will start by November.

I'll update the House as it goes

2 Likes

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by abouzaid: 1:01pm On Sep 19, 2021
House, greetings, please, with irrigation readily available, how many plots or plant stands can an individual manage during dry season agriculture while working full time? The market is readily available.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by uche393: 11:54am On Sep 20, 2021
Good morning everyone, I'm looking for someone to share the cost of buying 2000m driptape with. I just need 1000m for 1plot or is it possible to get 1000m driptape?
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by skondo09(m): 7:35am On Sep 21, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
My preferred seed is not available, so am looking at my options. I will plant latest by ending or first week of March. Loading...
Pls sir, am a newbie in cucumber farming...I may have alot of questions..
1st.. what variety of cucumber can I plant in Kwara, I planted just anyone already (baker), just to learn, but its germination is very poor.

2nd..is it advisable to plant directly without doing nursery?..if yes, how do I plant it correctly?.

3rd..must I use poultry dung on my farm?, Is there alternative to it?

Sorry for bothering you.. thank you sir
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by dorispray: 10:59am On Sep 21, 2021
Oh yes absolutely, you can get 1000m drip tape from us as well as any other accessories you might need. You can simply reach with your request to 07086268565. You'll get very good quality materials from us.
uche393:
Good morning everyone, I'm looking for someone to share the cost of buying 2000m driptape with. I just need 1000m for 1plot or is it possible to get 1000m driptape?
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:13pm On Sep 21, 2021
Nezzjnr:
Dry season Farmers oya oooo

Make una start to dey prepare.... November is here already.... If you know what I mean cool

Farmerakinloye6 I'm looking at running my Farm from November till March/April.

I have acquired my Seedlings Tray already for Uniform Growth... Will start by November.

I'll update the House as it goes
I will do my nursery by Saturday or Monday ( Last one for this year) my land has already prepared, returning of drip tape and manure on point.

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:15pm On Sep 21, 2021
abouzaid:
House, greetings, please, with irrigation readily available, how many plots or plant stands can an individual manage during dry season agriculture while working full time? The market is readily available.
maybe 1000-2500 stand.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:18pm On Sep 21, 2021
skondo09:

Pls sir, am a newbie in cucumber farming...I may have alot of questions..
1st.. what variety of cucumber can I plant in Kwara, I planted just anyone already (baker), just to learn, but its germination is very poor.

2nd..is it advisable to plant directly without doing nursery?..if yes, how do I plant it correctly?.

3rd..must I use poultry dung on my farm?, Is there alternative to it?

Sorry for bothering you.. thank you sir
your questions show you haven't go through this thread from page 1...go through the thread I believe all your questions have been answered.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Nezzjnr: 4:22pm On Sep 21, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
I will do my nursery by Saturday or Monday ( Last one for this year) my land has already prepared, returning of drip tape and manure on point.
It's still raining... Make i chill till late October or November grin cheesy cheesy

You don't change your drip accessories ryt
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by skondo09(m): 4:30pm On Sep 21, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
your questions show you haven't go through this thread from page 1...go through the thread I believe all your questions have been answered.

I went through it..I know u talked of gringo for SW..I don't know if that's applicable to kwara too..

I did direct planting, u nursery..so I was thinking maybe its direct planting that was responsible for the low germination..
Thank you for responding..sorry to bother you
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by skondo09(m): 4:34pm On Sep 21, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:

Also if am to get good variety like gringo or Murano..pls do u know anyone I can get hook up with here in Kwara
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by abouzaid: 6:03pm On Sep 21, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
maybe 1000-2500 stand.
thanks.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Nezzjnr: 7:30pm On Sep 21, 2021
Day 20 ooooo

Jorad i love you wink cheesy cheesy

Decided not to stake them again after one heavy wind did a marvellous job on the bamboos cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by REUBEN010(m): 8:45pm On Sep 21, 2021
skondo09:

I went through it..I know u talked of gringo for SW..I don't know if that's applicable to kwara too..

I did direct planting, u nursery..so I was thinking maybe its direct planting that was responsible for the low germination..
Thank you for responding..sorry to bother you

There are a few factors that can cause poor germination rate. Apart from seed quality, some insects and rodents can eat up the seeds. You'll be relaxed counting days to germination without knowing that some pest has done excellent work with your seeds under the soil.

Before planting, I soak my seeds for a minimum of 5mins with low diluted systemic insecticide or furadan-laced water to keep the pests away. Every evening after planting, I spray heavy doses of any insecticide that possesses heavy obnoxious stench over the cultivated area to keep rodents away until the seeds start sprouting.

I don't want wasted efforts and resources.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Ufeolorun(m): 9:14pm On Sep 21, 2021
You have coatings on most seed to prevent pests from hampering germination.
I have tried several times to prep my cucumbers through nursery but it ends up being complete waste of time and money.
So I seed directly and I have gotten 70 to 90 % germination.

Please watch where you pick or buy your seeds from, they may just be the reason you've been having poor germination- old seeds or poorly stored seeds will have poor sprouting rate.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by REUBEN010(m): 11:43pm On Sep 21, 2021
Ufeolorun:
You have coatings on most seed to prevent pests from hampering germination.
I have tried several times to prep my cucumbers through nursery but it ends up being complete waste of time and money.
So I seed directly and I have gotten 70 to 90 % germination.

Please watch where you pick or buy your seeds from, they may just be the reason you've been having poor germination- old seeds or poorly stored seeds will have poor sprouting rate.

Seed coatings does not prevent crickets from destroying your buried seeds. You just need to pray that they don't find the seeds.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Nezzjnr: 5:47am On Sep 22, 2021
REUBEN010:

Seed coatings does not prevent crickets from destroying your buried seeds. You just need to pray that they don't find the seeds.
It does.

If you spray a wicked insecticide around the place.

Dem no born any rodent well to uproot the seeds.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by fiddzy(m): 6:30am On Sep 22, 2021
skondo09:

Also if am to get good variety like gringo or Murano..pls do u know anyone I can get hook up with here in Kwara
u know farmer akinloye is in akure right, so its up to u to source for seed sellers that can be waybilled to ur state contact cedagrochemicals.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by skondo09(m): 9:30am On Sep 22, 2021
REUBEN010:

There are a few factors that can cause poor germination rate. Apart from seed quality, some insects and rodents can eat up the seeds. You'll be relaxed counting days to germination without knowing that some pest has done excellent work with your seeds under the soil.

Before planting, I soak my seeds for a minimum of 5mins with low diluted systemic insecticide or furadan-laced water to keep the pests away. Every evening after planting, I spray heavy doses of any insecticide that possesses heavy obnoxious stench over the cultivated area to keep rodents away until the seeds start sprouting.

I sincerely appreciate your response..I will correct my mistake nxt time..as I said earlier, I used this cultivation to learn, nxt yr I plan to start the commercial cultivation.. thanks
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by skondo09(m): 9:30am On Sep 22, 2021
fiddzy:
u know farmer akinloye is in akure right, so its up to u to source for seed sellers that can be waybilled to ur state contact cedagrochemicals.

Thank you
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Nezzjnr: 9:55am On Sep 22, 2021
REUBEN010:

How do you soak them
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by REUBEN010(m): 4:00pm On Sep 22, 2021
Nezzjnr:

It does.

If you spray a wicked insecticide around the place.

Dem no born any rodent well to uproot the seeds.

What if it rains heavily after spraying the insecticide? Will you respray again after rain? I bet you've never cultivated in a skunk-infested area. Those daredevils have a very sharp sense of smell and can uproot anything edible. They dealt with my maize farm in 2017 even after soaking the seeds in water treated with a combo of cypermethrin+Dimethiotate and heavy spray around the cultivated area.

So it's always safer to treat the seeds aside spraying the cultivated area.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (72) (Reply)

10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf)

Viewing this topic: Boldtouch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.