Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,459 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

My Cucumber Farm Dairy - Agriculture (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cucumber Farm Dairy (118512 Views)

My Profitable Cucumber Farm . / First 1 Acre Cucumber Farm In Ogun State Diary / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:11am On May 16, 2023
I sold 9k flat this morning...

2 Likes

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by EricBraven: 8:39pm On May 18, 2023
Good day Farmerakinloye6, I want to start cucumber farming I have already done the land preparation and added manure (cow dunk) I'd like to ask what variety is better to grow in ABK
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by REUBEN010(m): 3:01pm On May 19, 2023
EricBraven:
Good day Farmerakinloye6, I want to start cucumber farming I have already done the land preparation and added manure (cow dunk) I'd like to ask what variety is better to grow in ABK

Cattle dung is not very appropriate for vegetables. It's lower in plant nutritive requirements and introduces a lot of weeds to the farm through the undigested seeds of weeds they consume. Fold up your sleeves because the weeding will be heavy.

Modified:
The best way to use cow dung is after proper composting with nutrient-rich materials (leguminous leaves, feathers, etc.) The heat from composting may cook some of the weed seeds.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:13am On May 20, 2023
EricBraven:
I always plant greengo f1. I sold 10k flat today.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Chidiebubeoji: 7:54pm On May 20, 2023
REUBEN010:

Cattle dung is not very appropriate for vegetables. It's lower in plant nutritive value and introduces a lot of weeds to the farm through the undigested seeds of weeds they consume. Fold up your sleeves because weeding will be heavy.
Wow. Never heard this. Thanks
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Nezzjnr: 8:16pm On May 20, 2023
REUBEN010:

Cattle dung is not very appropriate for vegetables. It's lower in plant nutritive value and introduces a lot of weeds to the farm through the undigested seeds of weeds they consume. Fold up your sleeves because the weeding will be heavy.

Modified:
The best way to use cow dung is after proper composting with nutrient-rich materials (leguminous leaves, feathers, etc.) The heat from composting may cook some of the weed seeds.
Even at that... You have to use a larger quantity of it compared to poultry manure.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by REUBEN010(m): 9:44pm On May 20, 2023
Nezzjnr:

Even at that... You have to use a larger quantity of it compared to poultry manure.

True.
Why stress myself with cattle dung when I can use poultry manure easily.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Chidiebubeoji: 8:38pm On May 23, 2023
Please, Mr. FarmTech, please help me with your pruning practice for the cu999.
1. At what stage do you prune
2. What parts do you prune off?
3. How often do you prune?
4. I heard cu999 sets it's first fruits on these side branches. I've also had same experience with another monocious variety though. Do you still go ahead to prune of these branches.
5. Is it ok not to prune at all?
FarmTech:

Pls where do you buy potasium nitrate and how much?
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by mcyemite(m): 7:08am On May 24, 2023
Good morning to all senior farmers in the house,pls I would like to ask ,what's the average number of bags one can expect from a sachet of greengo seed i.e between 940-1000 stands

@Farmerakinloye6
@oluchidelly
@Nezzjnr
@REUBEN010
@Farmtech
@Aquadude
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Nezzjnr: 7:22am On May 24, 2023
mcyemite:
Good morning to all senior farmers in the house,pls I would like to ask ,what's the average number of bags one can expect from a sachet of greengo seed i.e between 940-1000 stands

@Farmerakinloye6
@oluchidelly
@Nezzjnr
@REUBEN010
@Farmtech
@Aquadude
0 bags to 150 bags.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:29am On May 24, 2023
mcyemite:

@Farmerakinloye6
@oluchidelly
@Nezzjnr
@REUBEN010
@Farmtech
@Aquadude
I think 40 bags should be average.. you can see less or above, depend on weather and skills.

3 Likes

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:31am On May 24, 2023
I picked few from my new cukes Plus the old and I sold 10k flat this morning...

3 Likes

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Nezzjnr: 7:38am On May 24, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
I think 40 bags should be average.. you can see less or above, depend on weather and skills.
How many cukes do you put per bag
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by REUBEN010(m): 11:32am On May 24, 2023
mcyemite:

@Farmerakinloye6
@oluchidelly
@Nezzjnr
@REUBEN010
@Farmtech
@Aquadude

25 - 40 bags on average.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by mustybay(m): 1:41pm On May 24, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
I picked few from my new cukes Plus the old and I sold 10k flat this morning...
. Like how many sachet of greengo seeds would plant 3 plot of land?
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by FarmTech(m): 3:03pm On May 24, 2023
Chidiebubeoji:
Please, Mr. FarmTech, please help me with your pruning practice for the cu999.
1. At what stage do you prune
2. What parts do you prune off?
3. How often do you prune?
4. I heard cu999 sets it's first fruits on these side branches. I've also had same experience with another monocious variety though. Do you still go ahead to prune of these branches.
5. Is it ok not to prune at all?
I prune when the plant start crawling by removing the suckers. I start from the second node to the 5-6th nodes. I allow the first node to grow into a vine so that each plant will have 2 vines. I dont allow any fruit or flower on the nodes I prune.. i dont normally prune leaves unless when fungal infection is much. Dont prune more than 2-3 leaves per plant in a week since it can have bad effect like curved fruits.

From the 7th node upward I allow the sucker to grow 2-3 nodes before I cut off the tip. With this method u must fertilize very well.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by FarmTech(m): 3:10pm On May 24, 2023
mcyemite:

@Farmerakinloye6
@oluchidelly
@Nezzjnr
@REUBEN010
@Farmtech

1005 plants and I got about 51 bags. Minus the ones monkeys ate and may be, stolen ones too. Our bagging style here is 1 and half bag.
@Aquadude
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by FarmTech(m): 3:11pm On May 24, 2023
mcyemite:

@Farmerakinloye6
@oluchidelly
@Nezzjnr
@REUBEN010
@Farmtech
@Aquadude
1005 plants and I got about 51 bags. Minus the ones monkeys ate and may be, stolen ones too. Our bagging style here is 1 and half bag.

2 Likes

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Chidiebubeoji: 5:25pm On May 24, 2023
Very useful info here. I'll try my best. Thank you so much sir.

14 days today

FarmTech:

I prune when the plant start crawling by removing the suckers. I start from the second node to the 5-6th nodes. I allow the first node to grow into a vine so that each plant will have 2 vines. I dont allow any fruit or flower on the nodes I prune.. i dont normally prune leaves unless when fungal infection is much. Dont prune more than 2-3 leaves per plant in a week since it can have bad effect like curved fruits.

From the 7th node upward I allow the sucker to grow 2-3 nodes before I cut off the tip. With this method u must fertilize very well.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by oyinlekan1: 5:27pm On May 24, 2023
FarmTech:

Thats good
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by mcyemite(m): 6:39pm On May 24, 2023
FarmTech:

Now that you mentioned monkey , please I would like to know,aside humans what other animals that preys on cucumber i don't have monkey in my area but I have lot of rats.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Chidiebubeoji: 7:30pm On May 24, 2023
@ 14 days

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by FarmTech(m): 12:10am On May 26, 2023
Chidiebubeoji:
Very useful info here. I'll try my best. Thank you so much sir.

14 days today

Wlcm.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by FarmTech(m): 12:11am On May 26, 2023
mcyemite:

Now that you mentioned monkey , please I would like to know,aside humans what other animals that preys on cucumber i don't have monkey in my area but I have lot of rats.
Rats can eat the ones on the ground.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by FarmTech(m): 12:12am On May 26, 2023
Chidiebubeoji:
@ 14 days
Looking good. I normally use 60cm spacing. What's yours?
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by REUBEN010(m): 8:35am On May 26, 2023
FarmTech:

Please can you throw more light on your fertilization plan?
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Chidiebubeoji: 8:31pm On May 26, 2023
FarmTech:

Looking good. I normally use 60cm spacing. What's yours?
Thanks😊. Its 30cm sir.

I'm very sorry to bother you with too many questions sir.

So that first branch left, do you support it with a different rope from that of the main vine? Or it's left to crawl on the ground??

About the side dressing, what's your distance from the plant? I experienced a few burns at 5cm.
Thanks
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by FarmTech(m): 10:32pm On May 26, 2023
REUBEN010:

Please can you throw more light on your fertilization plan?
Manure in planting holes. After 3 weeks npk. Then everry 2 weeks npk.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by FarmTech(m): 10:32pm On May 26, 2023
Chidiebubeoji:

Thanks😊. Its 30cm sir.

I'm very sorry to bother you with too many questions sir.

So that first branch left, do you support it with a different rope from that of the main vine? Or it's left to crawl on the ground??

About the side dressing, what's your distance from the plant? I experienced a few burns at 5cm.
Thanks

I use staking nets which ai made myself from those threads used for reparing shoes. My side dressing is more than or equal to 5cm. Are you sure it's burn? What was the symptoms.
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by REUBEN010(m): 11:10pm On May 26, 2023
FarmTech:

Manure in planting holes. After 3 weeks npk. Then everry 2 weeks npk.

Okay thanks.
Please which variety do you cultivate - CU999 (African giant) or Greengo?
Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by FarmTech(m): 4:36pm On May 27, 2023
REUBEN010:

Okay thanks.
Please which variety do you cultivate - CU999 (African giant) or Greengo?
Cu999

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farm Dairy by Chidiebubeoji: 5:25am On May 28, 2023
FarmTech:

I use staking nets which ai made myself from those threads used for reparing shoes. My side dressing is more than or equal to 5cm. Are you sure it's burn? What was the symptoms.

Hmm maybe. A few stands from different part of the farm just droop their leaves and start dying off.
It mostly affected the smaller ones.

I mixed NPK and urea and applied at exactly 5cm I think to all.

But now that the plants are taller, l haven't seen any more new droops.

What do you think?

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (72) (Reply)

Quality Bulldozer Land Clearing Service Nationwide. Reliable services. / 10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.