Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,962 members, 7,952,875 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:36 AM

The Practice Of Prayer. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Practice Of Prayer. (1300 Views)

Tb Joshua - 'Pray Against The Interruption Of Democratic Practice (Throwback) / The Truth Practice Of Ebo( Spiritual Sacrifice) / Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Kobojunkie: 7:16pm On Oct 09, 2020
Emusan:
So you know Jesus didn't follow His own pattern of prayer which we can then ask:
No, I don't! What I know is that when I did what He suggested, I realized that He indeed wants us to pray as He said we should.
Emusan:
Are we then restricted only to that pattern of prayer?
Maybe instead an inability to properly comprehend the command given by Jesus Christ is that makes us suppose in some way that we are "restricted" when we pray exactly as He commanded. Jesus Christ is God's own mouthpiece... He speaks to us on behalf of the very God we supposedly pray to, so He couldn't have gotten this wrong.
Emusan:
So Jesus concocted that prayer at Gethsemane
Not sure if He did.
Emusan:
Jesus concocted that prayer at Lazarus grave
Again, I am not sure if He did.
Emusan:
The disciples concocted prayer that set Peter free in the prison.
I thought all these should have followed the pattern of the Lord's prayer!
I don't follow the commandments of the disciples, so I don't care what they did in this, since what matters is what Jesus Christ commanded and the examples He gave.
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Kobojunkiee: 4:41am On Oct 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
No, I don't! What I know is that when I did what He suggested, I realized that He indeed wants us to pray as He said we should.
Maybe instead an inability to properly comprehend the command given by Jesus Christ is that makes us suppose in some way that we are "restricted" when we pray exactly as He commanded. Jesus Christ is God's own mouthpiece... He speaks to us on behalf of the very God we supposedly pray to, so He couldn't have gotten this wrong.
Not sure if He did.
Again, I am not sure if He did.
I don't follow after the opinions or examples of the disciples, so I don't care what they did in this, since what matters is what Jesus Christ commanded and the examples He gave.
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Nobody: 6:05am On Oct 12, 2020
“In Christ (who is) the Son of God who died for the redemption of sinners and resurrected after 3days. This is the greatest truth in the universe“

Hey op,are you sure this is the greatest truth in the entire universe.

Is it the greatest truth in Cygnus A galaxy? Has Christ resurrected for the souls of Virgo A galaxy? Has the Canis Major Dwarf galaxy heard the good news?

I mean, we don’t want folks in the Andromeda galaxy to go to hell!!!

At least, practice that famous Christian humility and limit the claim to “greatest truth in the galaxy” ,and let’s pray for the entire Milky Way galaxy while hoping there are enough immaculately conceived virgins for Jesus to be born to...........Shalom
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 6:16am On Oct 12, 2020
Martian:
“In Christ (who is) the Son of God who died for the redemption of sinners and resurrected after 3days. This is the greatest truth in the universe“

Hey op,are you sure this is the greatest truth in the entire universe.

Is it the greatest truth in Cygnus A galaxy? Has Christ resurrected for the souls of Virgo A galaxy? Has the Canis Major Dwarf galaxy heard the good news?

I mean, we don’t want folks in the Andromeda galaxy to go to hell!!!

At least, practice that famous Christian humility and limit the claim to “greatest truth in the galaxy” ,and let’s pray for the entire Milky Way galaxy while hoping there are enough immaculately conceived virgins for Jesus to be born to...........Shalom

You don't know the greatest truth, do you?

1 Like

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Nobody: 6:35am On Oct 12, 2020
Image123:

You don't know the greatest truth, do you?

I’ve heard a lot of great truths but it’s too early in the game for me to name the “greatest”.

My buddy on the other side told me a tale you wouldn’t believe!!! It might be the “greatest” truth I’ve heard so far but like I said, it’s too early in the game.
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 8:36am On Oct 12, 2020
Martian:

I’ve heard a lot of great truths but it’s too early in the game for me to name the “greatest”.

My buddy on the other side told me a tale you wouldn’t believe!!! It might be the “greatest” truth I’ve heard so far but like I said, it’s too early in the game.

You don't know the greatest truth but you think you should have an opinion on the greatest truth. Anyways, don't distract the thread focus. Thanks.
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 9:26am On Oct 13, 2020

QUE SERA, SERA?
Que sera sera is Italian expression meaning whatever will be will be. In prayers, it is not whatever will be will be. Prayers work in and with FAITH, not by FATE. Some religions are laid back on fate, but prayers to God is laying hold on God and on His Word.
Some people ask why do I need to pray since God has a will and a plan? Answers to prayers and relationship with God is not a call to laziness. It is God's will and plan also that we should PRAY. You do not say, my parents know what is best for me, they have a plan and will, therefore I do not need to ask them anything or speak to them. This is what you do when you do not pray based on the premise that God has a plan already.

Eze 36:37  Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will yet for this be enquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them; I will increase them with men like a flock.
Jer 29:11  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 
Jer 29:12  Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. 
Jer 29:13  And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. 

This is God's principle. He gives the promise, but we are to make the prayers. LET YOUR WILL BE DONE IN EARTH.

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 2:30am On Oct 14, 2020
Image123:

ON PRAYER POSTURES.

LET'S RISE UP, CLOSE YOUR EYES, OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND PRAY?

You probably hear this every other day in church. When it comes to praying, it is not just a religious rite or ritual, it is talking to God. Rising up or standing up to pray, opening your mouth to pray, or closing your eyes to pray are all good practices. NOTE that answers to prayers are not hinged on these practices, they are simply good practices and postures in praying.
You have probably seen some take it far to the extent of praying at a certain venue, or facing a particular direction, or praying at a certain time. There is still nothing wrong with these practices and disciplines, but let us be aware that God answers the soul's sincere desire, all other things being equal.

Now, while it is not a sin to pray seated, or with your eyes open, or with your mouths closed. It is a good thing to unite in fellowship with others, especially when gathered together. So there is absolutely nothing wrong if you all kneel together, or stand together, or hold hands together. Agree/Unite together and get prayers answered. Like i have stated, there are no posture rules when it comes to praying. From the Bible, we see Peter prayed on a housetop, Paul and Silas prayed in prison, Daniel prayed in Babylon from his window, Shadrach, Meshack and Abednego did some praying in the fiery furnace, Gideon prayed at the winepress, Moses prayed on the mountain, Jonah prayed in the belly of the fish, Hannah prayed at the altar in Shiloh, Jacob prayed in the wilderness in Peniel, and of course Adam prayed in the garden of Eden. These all connected with God and had answers and spectacular encounters. It is not compulsory to go to Jerusalem, or to the tomb of Jesus, or even to the church headquarters before God answers your prayers. The reality though is that many people's faith are very weak and get some energy observing some of these practices, but it does not need to be so.
Listen again, even in the grave or hell, God can hear you. Elisha prayed lying on a dead body, John prayed on the island of Patmos, looking at the New Jerusalem, David prayed sitting in sackclothes and ashes, Solomon prayed in the Temple, Hezekiah prayed on his bed facing the wall, Samson prayed in the shrine of the Philistines, Amos prayed among herdsmen, Mary prayed at the feet of Jesus, Cornelius prayed in his house, and Jesus prayed in the garden of Gethsemane. All these prayers produced results. Yours can. If men will always pray like Jesus proposed and like the Holy Spirit said to pray without ceasing, then we can pray everywhere and in any direction. So pray at home, at school, at work, without ceasing.

THE BALANCE OF SAYING AND HOW YOU SAY IT.

1 Kings 18:26 And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made. 18:27 And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked. 18:28 And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them.

The Bible says to let your moderation be known to men. God knows your heart and your requests. There is usually no reason for theatrics, gymnastics and gyrations in prayers. We've seen Christians almost at war with God when praying. These thuggish demand and thunderous, vociferous decrees. Like someone once funnily said "Is that the way you talk to your father at home?" Or to your President or Principal or your elders? But many people find it okay to handle God roughly as it were. They think God will not hear if you don't pray like those street urchins asking "Owo da?" Remember the prophets of Baal.
On the other hand, don't be so lifeless, sleepy, sickly and drab in your prayers. Of course, there should be some fire, some spirit. It helps you, and it also helps those around you. Also your intonation and inflection is a pointer many times. It can invigorate. For instance, if you tell a little kid playing to come. There's a way you say it without life and he doesn't take you serious. There's a stern way you also say the same thing and the kid comes running. Living things react to tones. Do you know that some sickness can hear your command. So command like a soldier, don't talk in fear, like a lily livered person. The balance is there. In the same sense, you can increase the morale of others by the way you pray. It doesn't help people much to pray in a dull, cold, sleepy way that everyone is looking at the time or sleeping.

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 2:37am On Oct 23, 2020

As you look at God's promises in prayers, always consider God's plan and God's purpose. While He promised that "He will have whatsoever he saith", that whatsoever should be in God's plan except you want a permissive will of God like Balaam did. The scriptures enjoined us to stay away from the deeds of Balaam though.
Also remember God's purpose. What is His purpose for you and for what you ask? Align your prayers with God's promises, plans and purpose.

1 Like

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 11:28am On Jan 10, 2021
A few years ago, I told some Pastors that God answers all prayers. Some of them were shocked and I could see it on their faces. In The Redeemed Christian Church of God, when the Pastor in charge of a Parish cannot solve a problem, he escalates it to the Pastor in charge of the area. If the problem continues to defy all solutions, it will continually be passed up the chain of command until it reaches the General Overseer. Now, who does the General Overseer take the problem to? There is no one I can run to but Jesus Himself. I not only run to Him; I stay with Him in the place of prayer until the problem is solved. If you would pray persistently, soon your testimony would also be “God answers all prayers”. John 16:24 says:

“Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.”

Some people unknowingly stop praying just before their breakthrough. Why do they stop? Perhaps they think they are disturbing God. Is it not God Himself who said we should ask that our joy may be full? ls it not Jesus Himself who told the story of the widow and the wicked judge in today’s Bible reading Why then should you stop praying when your prayer has not yet been answered? In my early years as a Minister, there were prayers I made for many years before I saw answers. I prayed for fifteen years so that I would be able to heal the sick by mere waving of the hand. I did not stop praying after a few years, I persisted and received my answer. What is that long-awaited desire of yours for which you have stopped praying? It is time to start praying again, that your joy may be full.

You may wonder why God can’t just answer you after praying once or twice. Well, He is sovereign. He will choose when to answer you. Also, some requests do not yield result with ‘two-minute’ prayers. You have to press in the spirit to be able to shift such things in the physical. Some other times, God may be using that situation to build your faith (1 Peter 1:7). Whatever the case, don’t get weary when you don’t receive answers immediately; keep praying.

God promised In Matthew 7:7-8 that when you ask you will receive, when you seek you shall find and when you knock, doors will be opened unto you.

Persist in prayer until He answers. He is a prayer answering God.

This is from "Open Heavens" devotional but very relevant to this topic of discussion.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Was Really Scared When I Read This Message, Could This Be Real??! / Church Members Wash Their Pastor’s Billboard In Delta State (Pix, Video) / Who Is Allah's Partner In Sura 5:46?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.