Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

The Practice Of Prayer. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Practice Of Prayer. (1214 Views)

Tb Joshua - 'Pray Against The Interruption Of Democratic Practice (Throwback) / The Truth Practice Of Ebo( Spiritual Sacrifice) / Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 5:30am On Oct 07, 2020
First and foremost, i will emphasize that i am speaking about prayer TO the one true God Almighty. The One called Jehovah, Yahweh and many of the other innumerable names, the Only wise God.

i observe that to many people(both believers and unbelievers), prayer is a mystery. To many, it's an art. To many, it's a routine religious practice. Yet to many more, it's a joke.
The songwriter, Charley Pride of blessed memory, was so confident and emphatic to say "PRAYER WILL CHANGE THE NIGHT TO DAY". While the Church sings along, there are differing opinions to that statement. While some find it literally believeable, others find it literarily believeable, still some find it utterly preposterous. Well, prayer does generate a lot of difference, no pun intended.

In this thread, i will explain prayer over time. Secrets, hints, answers, doctrine etc. Over time meaning not in one page, one post, or one day. It's going to be some sort of compendium on prayer. i want to hope for honest questions in an attempt to understand or know more about prayer. i know it's going to bless&help someone somewhere.
For lesser distraction, i will colour the compilation posts in BLUE. Other discussions and reply will be default colour.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

N.B: The thread is not really an attempt to prove the efficacy or power of prayer, or to convince to pray, or to demonstrate how God answered prayers. It may come but it is not the main aim. It is more of an how prayer works DIY thing.

1 Like

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 5:34am On Oct 07, 2020
Again, let me re-iterate that i would like to keep it as simple as i can. So our dear doctors and professors should forgive me if i do not go "deep" in theology and esoteric in illustration.

WHAT IS PRAYER?
Prayer is simply talking with/to God. God is a Spirit and the mode and method of communicating with Him is not the exact same way we speak with man. However, i will make several illustrations to things we are accustomed to so that we can have a better understanding. Praying is very much similar to our telephone conversations.

The best and most enjoyable prayers are dialogues not monologues. So actually, you are supposed to have a heart to heart with God frequently. However, do note that God is not a talkative like we may want. But He does speak. The point is that we should expect Him to speak, expect to hear from Him. The majority are in the habit of monologues. Just 'downloading' your list of requests, and leave to do other things. It does not have to be that drab always. Have a genuine and intimate conversation with God from time to time.

Usually, when we pray, we say "Amen". Amen is an affirmation or confirmation in faith. It means Let It Be So. It means "I agree to it, I want it."

2 Likes

Just as human conversation is diverse, so also prayer or conversation with God is diverse. It is not a one way traffic or a one language traffic. There are people that actually believe that prayers have to be in a particular language or that good prayer is in a particular language. God hears and accepts all languages. In fact, in the Bible the moving of Hannah's mouth was accepted by God as prayer and He granted her request.

1Sa 1:12  And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth. 
1Sa 1:13  Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken.

There are different ways and styles of prayers in the Bible and in experience. Make sure you are connected. cool

DOES GOD ANSWER EVERY PRAYER?
Tough question, considering the funny fact that there is actually some christian song that answer in the affirmative. cheesy cheesy In summary, YES.
But in explanation, let us note that God's answer may differ from what we expect. God is God, not an ATM machine. For an ATM machine, once you have money and you put in your card and right PIN, you get money. But sometimes, you might "do everything right" in your estimation and knowledge. But you may get a NO, or a LATER, or something different from God. So it is not always YES. All of these are answers you should expect to get from God no matter your level.
Many people always expect a YES. The Bible clearly shows otherwise.
Psa 22:2  O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent. 
Psa 22:3  But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel. 

Our Bible scholars tell us the Psalm above is a Messianic Psalm. What they mean is that it is the Messiah talking here. So whoever it is(based on your theology cheesy), the Messiah or the Psalmist prayed, even cried day and night, and God did not hear.
Most unbelievers would of course urge you to leave, curse God and move on, He does not exist, prayers don't work etc. You are not the first neither will you be the last to get a NO or face unanswered prayers. Be like this Psalmist, He maintained the disposition that God is holy, God knows best. Some other notable example of people who got a NO from God to their prayers are Moses and Paul. That did not stop them from praying and from believing God. Do not let it ever stop you.

Heb 12:1  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 

i want to try breaking the posts not to be too long for lazy people like me. wink wink

1 Like

One secret shocked shocked about prayer. NOT ALL PRAYERS GET TO GOD!
You would say God is everywhere na, you know? Omnipresent, Omniscient, Omnipotent. Yes. But the Bible and experience show that not all prayers get to God. Conversely too, not all answers from God get to man. Don't give yourself a facepalm, make it five cheesy cheesy Like i said, this is the reality from the Bible and from experience. If you know a little about the Network, it is similar. For some reasons, packets are dropped. It is my prayer that your prayer packets will not drop often in Jesus' name. grin

But really, it happens.
Psa 141:2  Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice. 
Act 10:4  And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God.
Rev 8:4  And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

Some people's prayers did not pass the ceiling of their room, not to talk of come up before God. It is like writing a tweet or a letter to the President, not everything gets to his table or gets his attention and reply. There are several reasons for this. The point is that it does happen. It is not a reason to assume or conclude that God does not answer prayers. It just goes to show that it is a huge possibility. It is like saying because your call did not connect, then you don't believe there is network. Or because the President did not answer you, he does not exist. God is greater than any network or President. He is the Sovereign God.

2 Likes

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Kobojunkie: 5:53am On Oct 07, 2020
So, Jesus Christ's response to His disciples demands that He teach them how to pray, a response that is the WORD OF GOD, the truth of the Father, as far as how He wants us to indeed pray to Him, is to be thrown out the window then? undecided

Why? Because so-called Pastors/Preachers/GOs/Priests etc. prefer their versions and ideas on prayer, ideas which are no different from the prayers that the Pharisees/Priests/Sadducees/Teachers of the Law of Jesus Christ's days. undecided
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 8:49am On Oct 07, 2020
Kobojunkie:
So, Jesus Christ's response to His disciples demands that He teach them how to pray, a response that is the WORD OF GOD, the truth of the Father, as far as how He wants us to indeed pray to Him, is to be thrown out the window then? undecided

Why? Because so-called Pastors/Preachers/GOs/Priests etc. prefer their versions and ideas on prayer, ideas which are no different from the prayers that the Pharisees/Priests/Sadducees/Teachers of the Law of Jesus Christ's days. undecided

The needlessly combative kobokoman has already reported for duty even before i post anything. You will be alright later later.

3 Likes

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:58am On Oct 07, 2020
Prayer means communication between humans and spirits so you've done justice by emphasizing on the particular spirit you want to talk to.
My question Is it proper demanding someone speak with another person when the person doesn't feel like doing so at that time?

What i mean is like pestering a child to talk to his father in your presence when he (child) doesn't think such is necessary!
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 9:28am On Oct 07, 2020
Question noted majamaja, i will answer later.
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:34am On Oct 07, 2020
Image123:

Question noted majamaja, i will answer later.
Thanks Sir, anticipating your response, God bless you! smiley
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 7:16am On Oct 08, 2020
Jesus Christ makes prayer a necessity. He created us, so He should know better. He said "WHEN" you pray, not "IF" you pray.
Luk 18:1  And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

Another scripture says to "Pray without ceasing". So, let me encourage you to PUSH. Pray Until Something Happens. There are more reasons why God will answer you than not answer you if you know what you are doing. In fact, the Bible is full of promises and urgings for us to pray. It is better to pray than not to pray, always remember that.

Prayer is not something you should do when all else fail, it is what you should do to keep all else from failing. Many people pray as an emergency, when things have already fallen apart. Of course, please pray when things fall apart, but make it a practice to pray so that things do not fall apart.
Pro 16:3  Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

Do not take one promise in isolation. Consider the context of the promise. Consider the whole word of God. Consider the plan of God. Consider the purpose of God.
God is not Herod that will go ahead and kill because he made a promise to Herodias' daughter. So when you pray, consider God's plan, consider God's purpose also.
Don't say "I have mountain moving faith. God said if I say to this mountain be removed it is removed. Mountain Everest move to my village in Jesus name". Imagine the chaos if God had to move every mountain and valley at every request of His beloved ones. Consider God's purpose, consider God's plan.

1 Like

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 7:18am On Oct 08, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

Thanks Sir, anticipating your response, God bless you! smiley

Fun fact. Do you know that the expression "God bless you" is a prayer? You just spoke publicly to God. You should be very ashamed of yourself and suspended for this, you know? angry angry grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 7:38am On Oct 08, 2020
MaxInDHouse:
Prayer means communication between humans and spirits so you've done justice by emphasizing on the particular spirit you want to talk to.
My question Is it proper demanding someone speak with another person when the person doesn't feel like doing so at that time?

What i mean is like pestering a child to talk to his father in your presence when he (child) doesn't think such is necessary!

cheesy It is not proper to demand that someone speak with another person when the person doesn't feel like doing so. But it is absurd that a person NEVER feels like speaking with another person, especially if He is your father. Never be ashamed to talk to your father in the presence of others. i've never seen a normal human being who will NEVER talk to his father in the presence of others because he selfishly thinks it unnecessary. When such an individual will rather die or fight or break bottle or insult you than talk to his father, he is likely mentally imbalanced. Avoid him.

For those that do not know the history, my friend here is a JW(Jehovah wickedness member) who believes in never praying with others or for others outside. This is as a result of standing on one leg, making a doctrine out of a Bible phrase.

Mat 6:6  But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. 

The passage teaches us not to make prayer a religious fanfare or show off to impress. The practice of Jesus Christ, the apostles and many Bible characters show that we can pray with others, for others and publicly. The epistles of Paul and the other epistles are laden with prayers. These epistles were read publicly by the early church. The book of Revelations, written to the churches by 'Jesus' has many prayers and i think the most "Amen" in the new testament. The book is not secret, it was open and public. Jesus loudly prayed in public but it was not show off. His prayers on the cross are an example. Same goes for Stephen as he was stoned. He was not shy to publicly pray.

Joh 11:41  Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. 
Joh 11:42  And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. 
Joh 11:43  And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

Here are the disciples who Jesus spoke directly to as well. God is not going to send you to hell for praying with me.

Act 3:6  Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. 
Act 4:24  And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:
Act 4:31  And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. 

1 Like

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:46am On Oct 08, 2020
Image123:

Fun fact. Do you know that the expression "God bless you" is a prayer? You just spoke publicly to God. You should be very ashamed of yourself and suspended for this, you know? angry angry grin grin grin

The highlighted is just a form of pacifying your audience to show that you meant PEACE {Romans 12:14} based on what i learnt from Christ Jesus it's not a prayer, since i never included the name of my own God. Matthew 6:9

So i can say the same to a Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim and Traditionalist since they all agreed on the concept of God, it becomes a prayer when i use the name of my own God! Micah 4:5

However you haven't addressed my question! undecided
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 7:56am On Oct 08, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

The highlighted is just a form of pacifying your audience to show that you meant PEACE {Romans 12:14} based on what i learnt from Christ Jesus it's not a prayer, since i never included the name of my own God. Matthew 6:9

So i can say the same to a Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim and Traditionalist since they all agreed on the concept of God, it becomes a prayer when i use the name of my own God! Micah 4:5

However you haven't addressed my question! undecided

Lol, "God bless you" is not a prayer. grin grin Prof. maja says it is just a form of pacifying, and that he never included God in "God bless you" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin This is early morning my friend, remove the strong wine far from thee.

3 Likes

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by MuttleyLaff: 8:44am On Oct 08, 2020
Image123:
The needlessly combative kobokoman has already reported for duty even before i post anything. You will be alright later later.

Image123:
Lol, "God bless you" is not a prayer. grin grin Prof. maja says it is just a form of pacifying, and that he never included God in "God bless you" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin This is early morning my friend, remove the strong wine far from thee.
[img]https://s5/images/ezgif-2-bb81ab7ea10d.gif[/img]

2 Likes

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:46am On Oct 08, 2020
Image123:

That's the difference between a JW and a none JW!

It's when we hear the name of our God that we pay rapt attention not just when you say "God" because there are many Gods! 1Corinthians 8:5

However i won't speak with my own father in the presence of a stranger unless if such a person is my brother and even at that, when i have confidential talks with daddy i'll see him in private! Matthew 6:6

As for you, you're a complete stranger to my own father, even my own daddy will be annoyed with me for discussing with him in the presence of a complete stranger! Proverbs 28:9
That's why i must not talk to my own father when you're not ready to abide by his rules! Jeremiah 11:14, 14:11 compare to John 17:8-9
God bless you! smiley
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by MuttleyLaff: 8:48am On Oct 08, 2020
"Then Jesus told His disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.
(i.e. And He was speaking to them a parable about the way it behooves them always to pray and not to lose heart
Then Jesus told His disciples a parable to teach them that they should always pray and never become discouraged
Jesus used this illustration with His disciples to show them that they need to pray all the time and never give up.)
"
- Luke 18:1

1 Like

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 9:10am On Oct 08, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

That's the difference between a JW and a none JW!

It's when we hear the name of our God that we pay rapt attention not just when you say "God" because there are many Gods! 1Corinthians 8:5

However i won't speak with my own father in the presence of a stranger unless if such a person is my brother and even at that, when i have confidential talks with daddy i'll see him in private! Matthew 6:6

As for you, you're a complete stranger to my own father, even my own daddy will be annoyed with me for discussing with him in the presence of a complete stranger! Proverbs 28:9
That's why i must not talk to my own father when you're not ready to abide by his rules! Jeremiah 11:14, 14:11 compare to John 17:8-9
God bless you! smiley

Your answer is here anyway.

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:10am On Oct 08, 2020
Image123:

Your answer is here anyway.

That's the answer all my brothers and sisters out there will give you Sir! smiley
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 10:22am On Oct 08, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

That's the answer all my brothers and sisters out there will give you Sir! smiley

Am i now your brother and sister again. Are you the one on the frontpage complaining about bipolar issues?
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:32am On Oct 08, 2020
Image123:

Am i now your brother and sister again. Are you the one on the frontpage complaining about bipolar issues?

NO! You're not one of my brethren, the same reason you always pester me to talk to my own father in your hearing, none of my own brothers and sisters will do that without solid agreement on tenets! Matthew 18:19 smiley
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Emusan(m): 11:14am On Oct 08, 2020
Kobojunkie:

So why then Jesus didn't follow the very example of prayer He taught His own followers at the garden of Gethsemane?
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 4:50pm On Oct 08, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

NO! You're not one of my brethren, the same reason you always pester me to talk to my own father in your hearing, none of my own brothers and sisters will do that without solid agreement on tenets! Matthew 18:19 smiley

So why on earth did you say that my answer is the answer all your brothers and sisters out there will give me?
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Kobojunkiee: 5:32pm On Oct 08, 2020
Kobojunkie:

I still see no tangible answer anywhere explaining why Jesus Christ's, God's very own recommendation, when it comes to "how to pray" never seems to be good enough for many of those who claim to be followers of the very same Jesus Christ.
Honestly, I am not surprised! Even where Jesus Christ commands that His followers love their enemies and pray for them, many continue to do the opposite, hate their enemies and pray against them in the name of the very same Jesus Christ. It is no longer a hidden thing that many who believe in Jesus Christ (bestowed with eternal life through Him as a result), would rather look elsewhere for meaning in their so-called Christian walk than to Jesus Christ, the one whom they claim to be the author and finisher of their faith.
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:16pm On Oct 08, 2020
Image123:

So why on earth did you say that my answer is the answer all your brothers and sisters out there will give me?
NO!
I mean what you've heard from me is the same you'll hear from JWs globally, so your opinion is yours ours is ours! smiley
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 6:25pm On Oct 08, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

NO!
I mean what you've heard from me is the same you'll hear from JWs globally, so your opinion is yours ours is ours! smiley

My position is clearly seen all over the Scriptures as shown, yours is a one leg stand misrepresention of a phrase in Matthew 6v6. Doctrine is not built on phrases. The Word is established by two or three credible witnesses. A doctrine and practice that is contradictory to all scriptural practice is a joke. Go and read the answer to your question again and respond normally instead of spewing out crammed scriptures out of context.

2 Likes

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Kobojunkiee: 6:44pm On Oct 08, 2020
Emusan:
So why then Jesus didn't follow the very example of prayer He taught His own followers at the garden of Gethsemane?
Are you in some way suggesting that since Jesus Christ "didn't follow that example", we are then released from doing as He commands, and free to concoct whatever prayer formulae we want? undecided
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 6:55pm On Oct 08, 2020

A popular saying in church circles is that "If there is a man to pray, there is a God to answer". Like it has been said, not all prayers get a YES, and not all prayers even get to God.
So what are the things that increase the chances for answered prayer? Why do some people have their prayers answered and some do not? What are the odds that if i pray, i am not wasting my time? Let's mention some, use them to your benefit as you pray.

SOME REASONS FOR ANSWERED PRAYER.

1. Faith: Mar 11:22  And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God
Mar 11:23  For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. 
Mar 11:24  Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. 

Faith is very important to receiving. It is critical to answered prayer. You receive BY FAITH. So, believing that you will have your prayers answered by God helps you get an answer.

2. ASK: This is so basic that many people miss it. You NEED TO ASK. Don't assume, never assume. Always ask. Never be afraid to get a NO or LATER, except you are TOTALLY sure that it is AGAINST the will and plan of God. EVEN at that, i think you can still ask if you want it.
Jas 4:2  Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
Mat 7:8  For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 

You really may not know if you will get it if you do not ask it. Sometimes we wish Adam and Eve had just asked, or Eli asked like Moses asked. Maybe if satan had asked even. You really never know. Nineveh asked you know. The devils inside legion asked you know. One thief on the cross asked you know, the other was just looking, they both needed the same thing. Don't just feel God knows, and He will do it if He loves you or if it is His will. ASK.

3. Persistence: Luk 18:5  Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me. 
Luk 18:6  And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith. 
Luk 18:7  And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? 

Importunity or continued asking/praying can increase your chances of having your prayers answered. Some people only asked at the beginning of the year, or at that "hot" prayer meeting. Pray until something happens. This was how Elijah asked for rain that God Himself had promised. He kept asking. This was how Abraham kept asking until his nephew Lot's family were delivered.
Act 12:5  Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

4. Unity: Gen 11:6  And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Mat 18:19  Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

There is power in unity. United prayers increase your chances of being blessed by God and having your prayers answered.

5. Mercy: Luk_18:38  And he cried, saying, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me. 
Rom_9:15  For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

Sometimes to get your prayer/request answered, what you need is MERCY. Placing a demand or having faith may not solve it. All these other reasons may not do it sometimes. It might just take the Sovereignty and mercy of God. So seek God's mercy, don't be proud or overconfident.

6. The name of Jesus: Joh 15:16  Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Does God answer if you do not ask in Jesus' name, of course. People have being praying and having answers before and after Jesus came to earth. But the name of Jesus is a strong tower and a good way to get your prayers answered. you need to learn how to use it though, don't be like the infamous sons of Sceva.

Ever wondered, seen or heard people call on the God of Elijah, or Abraham, or even their pastors or bishops? Yes, it works. It is unto you according to your faith. There is no sin there. But i will add that it is not BEST practice. The name of Jesus Christ is higher than all names anyway.

7. Holiness: Jas 5:16  Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. 
Act_3:12  And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?

From James, we can see that holiness has a part to play in some prayers answer. But really, this is a bit contentious, yet i'll say not MOST prayers. The prayers for most things that people ask for do not require holiness in that much sense. Maybe for deep spiritual experiences and treasures/pearls, one may require holiness to a large extent. However, for bread and butter requests, experience and personal opinion/study of the Bible shows that God answers prayers for many other reasons asides holiness.

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 6:55pm On Oct 08, 2020

Prayer is not science or laboratory experiments that probably give the same results. It is a conversation. And like most conversations, you can get anything. What you said yesterday that got you a job or a favour may just not work today. Also, prayer is not magic, incantations or rubbing a genie lamps. In magic, incantations and rubbing genie lamps, we are made to believe that the same thing happens at the mention of an exact or a particular phrase. So if you say "shukushuku abracadabra", then the door opens. Prayer is different.
If you ask me for 10k now, i may give you immediately. The result may be different if you ask tomorrow or next month or even in the evening. This is also how answers sometimes come. So you may be wondering why or how it worked the other time but did not work now, or why and how it worked for your brother but did not work for you. It is wrong to come to the lazy and disadvantaged conclusion that prayers do not work or that God does not answer prayers. People testify every service day all over the world about God answering their prayer, find out how to get yours answered instead of giving up.

So quickly then, let me brush through some reasons. You remove the faults from your end and increase your odds as it were. God answers prayers.

SOME REASONS FOR UNANSWERED PRAYER.

1. SIN: Psa 66:18  If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:

Everyone knows this on some extent, much as already been said on it and will still be said by many on it. Sin puts you at a clear disadvantage in praying. It acts as a barricade between you and God. Shun sin.

2. DOUBT: Faith is important in walking with God and pleasing God. So if you are doing the opposite of faith, it becomes a problem for you.

Jas 1:6  But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 
Jas 1:7  For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 
Jas 1:8  A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

3. WRONG TIMING: If you qualify for a job or for an admission, there is still time for application. Your application will likely be successful if you come during the time of admission processing or recruitment. if you come after, it is more difficult if not impossible.
Isa 55:6  Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: 
Psa 32:6  For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him.

Some other similar verses say to seek EARLY. The point is TIME. Get the right time, or if you are confused on this, come everytime. cheesy cheesy cheesy That way, you are activating persistence and importunity too. For those that know something about cooking. There is wrong time for putting ingredients. Even though the ingredient is necessary and in right quantity, if you put it in a wrong time, you may spoil our food. Check the timings.

4. WILL OF GOD: This should perhaps go without saying but some people do not know. You are not likely to get something from God that God does not want or will. It is not totally impossible, you may get it permissively. But you need to align your requests with the will of God. The will of God is found in the Word of God. For instance, it is not the will of God for people to perish but to be saved. If you come to God in anger and say "Father let all A or B perish", He is not likely to hear you. Or you come and say "God please bless today's robbery operation", He is not likely to answer you.

5. THE "NOT YET"/"NOT YOURS" SCENARIO: We've all seen and even had parents who did not give us everything that we requested for despite the fact that they loved us dearly and could get/provide it. God is a Person too and a more responsible Father and Creator. If your 8year old asked for the car keys, you are not likely to give it. It will be dangerous for everyone. But if he came back 10 or 15 years later, you would likely give it. Or it could be a toy or sweets. Because you want the child to do something else at that time, you don't give it. Sometimes, the child may even cry or throw tantrums, it does not make a firm parent bulge.
In other instances, it may not be yours. Coveteousness or jealousy is still a sin before God. If your request is stemming from coveting and being jealous or envious, you may not get the request and you will keep wondering why the other person asked and God gave. In some cases, God has other plans too or better plans than what you are asking. Remember, you are here to live for Him in the first place.

6. Omniscience/Sovereignty/Mercy: i don't want to join these together(because they are big and complex terms on their own for most people) but these attributes do work hand in hand. God is a Merciful God, He is a Sovereign God, and He is the Omniscient God. Because God knows that something may hurt you or not be good for you or hinder you from better or best, He may not give you. You may ask for it as a good thing, but God may stop you from getting it so that you can get the best instead. this may be a job, a spouse, a property, a gift etc While it may be the best for some people, God may see it as not fitting you or not helping you.

7. TOUGHNESS AND DISCOVERY: God answers prayers but He also created man in His own image and likeness. If you study the human body and the human mind, you will see that we hardly use much of our capacity and ability. Many times to toughen us, God does not drop manna from heaven. Like someone said, God provides for the birds but He does not drop it in their nests.
If God continued to give us fish without teaching us or allowing us to fish, we would still be in the stone age. If we got miracles for every one adversity, there will be little or no discoveries. If God always has to send down fire, catapult us from place to place in heavenly chariots and split all the seas. You would not even have gas cookers and laptops today. cheesy cheesy The human race would hardly advance, neither will healthcare or industry. We would all be adult babies in pampers waiting on the Lord our Helper.

There are many other things still to be stated and discussed. As we can see, prayer is not a get rich quick scheme. It is a relationship with God, you build and establish it.

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Image123(m): 6:56pm On Oct 08, 2020

ON PRAYER POSTURES.

LET'S RISE UP, CLOSE YOUR EYES, OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND PRAY?

You probably hear this every other day in church. When it comes to praying, it is not just a religious rite or ritual, it is talking to God. Rising up or standing up to pray, opening your mouth to pray, or closing your eyes to pray are all good practices. NOTE that answers to prayers are not hinged on these practices, they are simply good practices and postures in praying.
You have probably seen some take it far to the extent of praying at a certain venue, or facing a particular direction, or praying at a certain time. There is still nothing wrong with these practices and disciplines, but let us be aware that God answers the soul's sincere desire, all other things being equal.

Now, while it is not a sin to pray seated, or with your eyes open, or with your mouths closed. It is a good thing to unite in fellowship with others, especially when gathered together. So there is absolutely nothing wrong if you all kneel together, or stand together, or hold hands together. Agree/Unite together and get prayers answered. Like i have stated, there are no posture rules when it comes to praying. From the Bible, we see Peter prayed on a housetop, Paul and Silas prayed in prison, Daniel prayed in Babylon from his window, Shadrach, Meshack and Abednego did some praying in the fiery furnace, Gideon prayed at the winepress, Moses prayed on the mountain, Jonah prayed in the belly of the fish, Hannah prayed at the altar in Shiloh, Jacob prayed in the wilderness in Peniel, and of course Adam prayed in the garden of Eden. These all connected with God and had answers and spectacular encounters. It is not compulsory to go to Jerusalem, or to the tomb of Jesus, or even to the church headquarters before God answers your prayers. The reality though is that many people's faith are very weak and get some energy observing some of these practices, but it does not need to be so.
Listen again, even in the grave or hell, God can hear you. Elisha prayed lying on a dead body, John prayed on the island of Patmos, looking at the New Jerusalem, David prayed sitting in sackclothes and ashes, Solomon prayed in the Temple, Hezekiah prayed on his bed facing the wall, Samson prayed in the shrine of the Philistines, Amos prayed among herdsmen, Mary prayed at the feet of Jesus, Cornelius prayed in his house, and Jesus prayed in the garden of Gethsemane. All these prayers produced results. Yours can. If men will always pray like Jesus proposed and like the Holy Spirit said to pray without ceasing, then we can pray everywhere and in any direction. So pray at home, at school, at work, without ceasing.

Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:38pm On Oct 08, 2020
Image123:

My position is clearly seen all over the Scriptures as shown, yours is a one leg stand misrepresention of a phrase in Matthew 6v6. Doctrine is not built on phrases. The Word is established by two or three credible witnesses. A doctrine and practice that is contradictory to all scriptural practice is a joke. Go and read the answer to your question again and respond normally instead of spewing out crammed scriptures out of context.

It's OK Sir, that's why i said all my brothers and sisters agreed on the terms.
So keep yours and i'll keep mine, no wahala! smiley
Re: The Practice Of Prayer. by Emusan(m): 8:44am On Oct 09, 2020
Kobojunkiee:
Are you in some way suggesting that since Jesus Christ "didn't follow that example", we are then released from doing as He commands,

So you know Jesus didn't follow His own pattern of prayer which we can then ask:

Are we then restricted only to that pattern of prayer?

and free to concoct whatever prayer formulae we want? undecided

So Jesus concocted that prayer at Gethsemane

Jesus concocted that prayer at Lazarus grave

The disciples concocted prayer that set Peter free in the prison.

I thought all these should have followed the pattern of the Lord's prayer!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Teaches On The Nephilims / Israel Is One Of The Most LGBT Friendly Country In The World / Faithfulness: Man Or Woman?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.