Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,484 members, 7,812,501 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:21 PM

Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 (556 Views)

7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria / Does Nnamdi Kanu Actually Have A University Degree? / 184 Doctors From 7 Countries Write Buhari Over El-zakzaky (Names) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by maandy111: 5:51am On Oct 09, 2020
@ Canih28,

I admired your intention to educate and enlighten us by taking the pains to compile the list of 7 countries that purportedly has it worse that Nigeria.

However, in a bit to keep us informed and enlightened of the world outside ours, you have rather erroneously presented false information as facts.

This being a forum with some many impressionable youths and

I think it is important that someone keeps the record straight for two main reason; firstly there a lot of impressionable young one on this forum, secondly, this forum has made a global reputation has one of the online forum to find genuine information about almost anything.

1. Re:Mexico has worse traffic than Lagos

Are you referring to Mexico as a country or Mexico city ? If you are referring to Mexico has a country then I would suggest you compare the traffic in Mexico and the traffic in Nigeria. I supposed you are referring to Mexico city in which case you have to be specific and you should include reference.

My findings:

Mexico city in Mexico is notoriously known for its traffic and a list of traffic ranking by TOMTOM shows that Mexico city ranked 13th in the world with Bengaluru in India taking the number spot. Lagos Nigeria did not feature on the global list nor among the 7 African cities that featured in ranking.

Yes, Mexico city is known to have one of the worse traffic in the world but when comparing to Lagos we need an estimate for Lagos so as know where exactly Lagos stands ( NL students please take note).
https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic-index/ranking/

2. Re:Libya is hotter than Nigeria by far

You stated that " At 50-degrees Celsius, you can fry an egg on the streets of Libya ". This sounded has if the temperature in Libya is high all year round and as if there is no hot places in Nigeria.

My findings:

Libya has over 90 cities which means that the temperature is mostly as varied as the number of cities.
"Along the Tripolitanian coast, summer temperatures reach between 40 and 46° C and farther south, temperatures are even higher. While in summers in the north of Cyrenaica range from 27 to 32° C. In Tobruk (Tubruq), the average January temperature is 13° C. in The ghibli, a hot, dry desert wind, can change temperatures by 17–22° C in both summer and winter.

https://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Africa/Libya-CLIMATE.html

While in Nigeria the hottest city is Sokoto, the average day time temperature in Sokoto in the months of February to April can exceed 45° C.

https://connectnigeria.com/articles/2019/02/did-you-know-nigerias-warmest-city/

Cities are known to experience exceptionally higher than average temperature and @Canih28 it will be wise to include it rather than making a blanket statement

2 Likes

Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by DozieMartin: 5:57am On Oct 09, 2020
Following with one eye on thread, the other on SARS

1 Like

Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by maandy111: 6:05am On Oct 09, 2020
3. Re: North Korea and Somalia are the most corrupt countries in the world
"Nigeria barely reached top 30. And somebody is talking about ‘kwaraption’.

First you should include reference for your statement. So that readers can verify your claim.

My findings:

Using the corruption index by Transparency International Somalia is the most corrupt nation in the world scoring 9/100 with Denmark and New Zealand scoring 87/100 which makes both the least corrupt countries in the world.
In summary: Nigeria score 26/100, ranking 146/180. Somalia scores 9/100, ranking 180/180. North Korea scores 17/100 and ranking 172/180.

Yes Nigeria did not feature among the 30 most corrupt country but Nigeria is the 31st on the bottom list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index
https://www.transparency.org/en/

1 Like

Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by chatinent: 6:10am On Oct 09, 2020
Funny statistics.
Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by dukeprince50: 6:12am On Oct 09, 2020
the thread no impress me.
Its like saying, between Satan and devil, who is more evil.
let's be known for good and not less evil than the greatest devil.

How about we start comparing who has best roads between Nigeria and major cities, who has best govts, who has best life expectancy and not more corrupt, hottest and traffic congestion
Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by maandy111: 6:19am On Oct 09, 2020
4. Re: Belgium has the most potholed road in the world.
"Ford uses it to test cars . That's how bad it is."

My findings: This is a flat out lie and misrepresentation of information. The road pointed out by @Canih28 is actually a road built by Ford in one of their test facilities and it is called Lommel Proving Grounds. The facilities is located in Lommel Belgium.

Compare the first page of what the roads in Belgium looks like to the second image of a typical Nigeria road. Nigerian roads as been described as been generally poor and dangerous.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/quality-roads-nigeria-100932.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lommel_Proving_Grounds

NB: If you want to learn more about the roads in Belgium start with this link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Roads_in_Belgium

1 Like

Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by dukeprince50: 6:28am On Oct 09, 2020
Nigerian potholes are not those small small holes u see in most countries, our own deh fall tanker daily.
we have gutter as potholes, even that ur picture tells a lot about it
Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by maandy111: 6:34am On Oct 09, 2020
5. Re: South African drivers are a lot more violent than Nigerian drivers.

"People getting shot is a regular occurrence in South African traffic."

First @Canih28 again you did not post any source to back up your claim.

People getting shot in Traffic does not necessarily mean that the drivers are the ones doing the shooting.

Hence, we can't say that the South African drivers are more dangerous than Nigerian drivers because of shooting that could have been done by passengers or commuters that capitalized on the traffic to carry out this heinous crime. We cant put that on the drivers without any data showing that the drivers are actually the ones responsible for the shootings.

My findings:

Nigeria is ranked among the 10 worse drivers in the world.
https://avtotachki.com/en/10-stran-s-samymi-hudshimi-voditelyami-v-mire/

Going by the anecdotal evidence produced by the op we could argue that Nigerian drivers are the least trained and are responsible for more accident. Which makes them more dangerous than South Africa drivers.

However, I can't find any source to compare the rate of shooting in traffic.

NB: for those interested in list of most dangerous countries to be a driver check this out
https://www.gps.com.au/most-dangerous-countries-to-be-a-driver-world-study

Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by maandy111: 6:48am On Oct 09, 2020
6. Re: Nigeria can’t even compare to Venezuela in kidnappings.

On average, 46 people get kidnapped a day.

When you say Nigeria can compare to Venezuela you ought to give a stat where each countries stand so the reader can at least have an idea of how far apart they are.

My findings:

Using data from Knoema, Venezuela is ranked 25th in the world and there is no data presented for Nigeria. We can't accurately compare Nigeria with Venezuela because from 2014 to 2018 there is reported data for Venezuela and non from Nigeria, Whereas in the year 2011 to 2013 there are data for Nigeria but non for Venezuela.

Based on this I can not compare the kidnapping ranking of both countries. ( But given how bad things are now in Venezuela the odds might be stacking against them when it comes to kidnapping compared to Nigeria).

https://knoema.com/atlas/ranks/Kidnapping-rate#:~:text=(cases%20per%20100%2C000%20population),Luxembourg%2C%20Germany%2C%20and%20Ecuador.

1 Like

Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by maandy111: 7:16am On Oct 09, 2020
7. Re: Belgium has the highest amount of armed robberies in the world.
"11 people get robbed a day in Belgium, that means they can rob you 5 times on your way to work."

@Canih28 again there is no source. I will start by saying there is a difference between armed robbery and robbery.

Ordinary robbery is committed when someone uses violence or the threat of violence to take property from another person. Armed robbery, on the other hand, occurs when a weapon is used to commit the robbery. Arizona then elevates this to an armed robbery charge.

https://www.jacksonwhitelaw.com/criminal-defense-law/difference-between-robbery-armed-robbery/#:~:text=Defining%20Robbery%20%26%20Armed%20Robbery,take%20property%20from%20another%20person.&text=Armed%20robbery%2C%20on%20the%20other,used%20to%20commit%20the%20robbery.

My findings:

Using number of robbery by 100000 Belgium is ranked number 7 in 2018 based on Koema data. We can't compare Belgium with Nigeria ( 2014 - 2018) because there was no reported data for Nigeria. No reported data for Nigeria could be as a result of unreliable data which are likely to underestimate or overestimate the cases in Nigeria. Whereas in 2010, 2012 and 2013 where we have data for Nigeria the number of robbery in Nigeria per 100000 are 1.1, 1.8 and 1.4 respectively. Within the same period the cases of robbery per 100000 in Belgium was 201.3, 231.0 and 218.1 respectively.
https://knoema.com/atlas/ranks/Robbery-rate

In terms of armed robbery I couldn't find any sources for that.

While pick-pocket is common in Brussels and some major train stations in European cities, armed robbery ( armed men breaking into homes while daring the police or robbing a bank in broad day light and making away through or high jacking a luxurious bus full of passengers, robbing a super market in day time while killing customers) is a rarely occurrence in most European cities.

On a final note, as someone who has worked with data from Nigeria. I would say that apart from data collected by financial institutions, public health research institutes most other sources of data in Nigeria are grossly unreliable. This is a big problem, this makes it difficult for Nigerian researchers and interested international agencies to produce convincing comparable data/information on Nigeria.

If we improve our data collecting process and ensure the integrity of our data only then would most of us understand how terrible life is in Nigeria. And how bad our leaders both past and present has destroyed this country.

Notwithstanding, I believe that government in all sectors are coming to terms with how important quality data are in planning and implementation and are making effort to improve on it. I hope someday we will get there as a nation.

Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by yanabasee(m): 7:23am On Oct 09, 2020
Dying for a day when Nigeria will be compared to Dubai, canada, China and Russia in technology development and infrastructural standard of delivery....

Not on corruption, traffic and co....

Habba, this blackness have really eaten deep into our reasoning....
Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by dangermouse(m): 7:23am On Oct 09, 2020
If it makes u feel good with the jargons u posted above, have u fun. Why is it that our youths flee to these countries u mentioned above on daily basis? The answer u get will tell u that ur talking trash. Hold ur leaders accountable and stop all this deception. I see u and ur ilks as enemies of Nigeria. Nigeria will be great again!
Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by adamooye: 7:26am On Oct 09, 2020
Compare our own SARS
Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by FarahAideed: 7:31am On Oct 09, 2020
If you think North Korea is more corrupt than Nigeria or Nigeria has better roads than Belgium then you need to have your head checked
Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by OkuFaba(m): 7:49am On Oct 09, 2020
SARS dey kill in Nigeria more than any other country in the world..

Nigeria is the only zoo country on earth

Buhari is the most confused president on earth

So lass lass we still carry trophy

Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by maandy111: 8:59am On Oct 09, 2020
dukeprince50:
the thread no impress me.
Its like saying, between Satan and devil, who is more evil.
let's be known for good and not less evil than the greatest devil.

How about we start comparing who has best roads between Nigeria and major cities, who has best govts, who has best life expectancy and not more corrupt, hottest and traffic congestion

It is not about comparing who is bad, it is about teaching the need for references and proper when of comparing things.

This forum is very informative and educative, I believe that people should at least put a little effort into presenting their informations/findings
Re: Re: 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria By Canih28 by maandy111: 9:01am On Oct 09, 2020
yanabasee:
Dying for a day when Nigeria will be compared to Dubai, canada, China and Russia in technology development and infrastructural standard of delivery....

Not on corruption, traffic and co....

Habba, this blackness have really eaten deep into our reasoning....

I am trying to point out the inconsistency in cahin28 posts.

Belgium is one of the affluent countries in the world. You should research Belgium. And @Cahin28 was busy posting false information on this forum.

Which was the reason I decided to shine some light on the errors of his ways.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: IGP Disbands SARS At Federal Level, 36 States And FCT / Nigerians Have Awaken / Delta Airlines Flight Bound For Lagos Returns To New York Over #endsars Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.