Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,081 members, 7,953,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:45 PM

Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? (1082 Views)

I'm Seriously Sick & I'm Fasting. If I Use Drug, Is The Fasting Still Relevant? / Is Bible Still Important? / It Is Impossible To Read All The Books Of The Bible & Still Be A Catholic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by Judybash93(m): 2:21am On Oct 16, 2020
iruoghene7:

Bro this people you are talking about weren't born of virgins that's one point.
Please I will appreciate if you provide the source of these findings. Because Wikipedia encyclopedia is saying something else. It has never happened in history and will never happen where a virgin conceived and gave birth except in the time the LORD Jesus Christ.
Those gods u are talking about are mythical beings. Even if they were as powerful as you say, and the date of their birth coinciding with that of Jesus, I don't know of that. But mind you, December 25th isn't the birth day of Jesus Christ.
Please check your findings okay well and give the source.

Well, i will drop the sources and yes they are mythical just like Jesus Christ.

"It has never happened in history and will never happen where a virgin conceived and gave birth except in the time the LORD Jesus Christ."

Sir, this isn't true at all. There are claims upon claims of people being born of virgins even before the mythical birth of Jesus. Jesus isn't the first. This is a fact.
I'll be back with the sources after work

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by Shawl001(m): 12:22pm On Oct 16, 2020
Andy15:
thank you very much for your answer
you know I actually do believe that the bible is very relevant today
but I also wanted to know what the view of others were.

Hmmn,
Good!
Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by iruoghene7(m): 2:07pm On Oct 16, 2020
Judybash93:

Well, i will drop the sources and yes they are mythical just like Jesus Christ.

"It has never happened in history and will never happen where a virgin conceived and gave birth except in the time the LORD Jesus Christ."

Sir, this isn't true at all. There are claims upon claims of people being born of virgins even before the mythical birth of Jesus. Jesus isn't the first. This is a fact.
I'll be back with the sources after work

Hmmm! Bro, let's not elongate this topic since it still boils down to faith. Because I won't bulge to your rational view of my faith and it's author.
It might interest you to know that those mythical beings you cited weren't recognised as being real. But the lord Jesus Christ and his word can never be denied, even a baby in the womb knows that. When I see the source I might go through them but that doesn't in any way gives me an atom of conviction and please the sources should be encyclopedias and archeological and not some blogs or sites seeking to get ads.
Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by Judybash93(m): 3:15pm On Oct 16, 2020
iruoghene7:

Hmmm! Bro, let's not elongate this topic since it still boils down to faith. Because I won't bulge to your rational view of my faith and it's author.
It might interest you to know that those mythical beings you cited weren't recognised as being real. But the lord Jesus Christ and his word can never be denied, even a baby in the womb knows that. When I see the source I might go through them but that doesn't in any way gives me an atom of conviction and please the sources should be encyclopedias and archeological and not some blogs or sites seeking to get ads.

Ok. But sir, the same faith is what people of other religion use to justify their beliefs. Does that mean they're right and you're wrong or does that mean you're right and they're all wrong? Faith in my opinion is more like talking about probability. It either works or not and that calls for scrutiny in the way of evidence. You made mention of a baby knowing Jesus even in the womb, i think we both know that's impossible...lol... And if you've noticed, most people only follow the path of their parents in terms of religious beliefs. A Hindu will say a baby has been seeing Krishna from the womb. May i ask if you were born into a Christian family?

http://www.lawofattractiongps.com/not-just-jesus-other-virgin-births/

https://gsgriffin.com/2016/12/08/other-gods-born-to-virgins-on-december-25-before-jesus-christ/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340871171_Historicity_Lord_Krishna_Recognized_by_Scholars_Long_in_Journal_Academic_Marketing_Mysticism_Online_JAMMO_Vol_2_Part_8_p84-90_23_July_2011_ISSN_2146-3328

https://www.esamskriti.com/e/History/Great-Indian-Leaders/How-science-discovered-the-historical-Krishna-1.aspx

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attis

https://stellarhousepublishing.com/mithra/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312192708_Divine_Mothers_The_Influence_of_Isis_on_the_Virgin_Mary_in_Egyptian_Lactans-Iconography

You can check these various sites out and let's see what's up. As for the wiki page, the sources are provided within every citation.
I'll provide more if there's a need for it. The stories of the various deities are so similar to the point that one cannot help but ask questions like, isn't it that they copied one another and stuffs like that.
In addition, outside the Bible, there aren't any contemporary mention of Jesus and there were a lot of historians around the area where Jesus "lived". I'm not trying to swerve your faith. I just want us to come to an objective truth. Shalom
Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by iruoghene7(m): 4:05pm On Oct 16, 2020
Judybash93:

Ok. But sir, the same faith is what people of other religion use to justify their beliefs. Does that mean they're right and you're wrong or does that mean you're right and they're all wrong? Faith in my opinion is more like talking about probability. It either works or not and that calls for scrutiny in the way of evidence. You made mention of a baby knowing Jesus even in the womb, i think we both know that's impossible...lol... And if you've noticed, most people only follow the path of their parents in terms of religious beliefs. A Hindu will say a baby has been seeing Krishna from the womb. May i ask if you were born into a Christian family?

http://www.lawofattractiongps.com/not-just-jesus-other-virgin-births/

https://gsgriffin.com/2016/12/08/other-gods-born-to-virgins-on-december-25-before-jesus-christ/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340871171_Historicity_Lord_Krishna_Recognized_by_Scholars_Long_in_Journal_Academic_Marketing_Mysticism_Online_JAMMO_Vol_2_Part_8_p84-90_23_July_2011_ISSN_2146-3328

https://www.esamskriti.com/e/History/Great-Indian-Leaders/How-science-discovered-the-historical-Krishna-1.aspx

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attis

https://stellarhousepublishing.com/mithra/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312192708_Divine_Mothers_The_Influence_of_Isis_on_the_Virgin_Mary_in_Egyptian_Lactans-Iconography

You can check these various sites out and let's see what's up. As for the wiki page, the sources are provided within every citation.
I'll provide more if there's a need for it. The stories of the various deities are so similar to the point that one cannot help but ask questions like, isn't it that they copied one another and stuffs like that.
In addition, outside the Bible, there aren't any contemporary mention of Jesus and there were a lot of historians around the area where Jesus "lived". I'm not trying to swerve your faith. I just want us to come to an objective truth. Shalom
Ok sir, I will go through the sites.
I was born into a Christian home certainly.
And mind if I ask you a question? Are a Christian? Not because you were born into it, but based on your own free will and conviction of who Jesus Christ is to you?

If yes, then you already know why I'm repeating the word "faith". And you said outside of the Bible no contemporary mention of Jesus, bro I don't agree with that. If I may ask how was the Bible compiled? Was it not from buried scrolls, manuscripts of which some are still in archeological museums, historical artifacts stored up for research purposes, where do the early historians, researchers get what they compiled?

Our views maybe contrasting but the truth remains the truth whether both of us agree objectively on this point or not.
If you are a Bible student I would've loved us to discuss other pressing issues in the scriptures.
Shalom
Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by Judybash93(m): 4:22pm On Oct 16, 2020
iruoghene7:

And mind if I ask you a question? Are a Christian? Not because you were born into it, but based on your own free will and conviction of who Jesus Christ is to you?

If yes, then you already know why I'm repeating the word "faith". And you said outside of the Bible no contemporary mention of Jesus, bro I don't agree with that. If I may ask how was the Bible compiled? Was it not from buried scrolls, manuscripts of which some are still in archeological museums, historical artifacts stored up for research purposes, where do the early historians, researchers get what they compiled?

Our views maybe contrasting but the truth remains the truth whether both of us agree objectively on this point or not.
If you are a Bible student I would've loved us to discuss other pressing issues in the scriptures.
Shalom

First, i was born into a Christian family but chose to leave the faith after series of studies which gave me a bigger picture in relation to the origins of religions and a whole lot.
In relation to how the Bible was compiled, i actually don't know.
And yes, i know the Bible quite well. We cam discuss issues within the book.
Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by iruoghene7(m): 4:56pm On Oct 16, 2020
Judybash93:

First, i was born into a Christian family but chose to leave the faith after series of studies which gave me a bigger picture in relation to the origins of religions and a whole lot.
In relation to how the Bible was compiled, i actually don't know.
And yes, i know the Bible quite well. We cam discuss issues within the book.
Okay, so if I may ask, what is this your new belief?
Since you left the Christian faith due to reasons best known to you, there is no way we can have a sweet fellowship around the word don't you think.
I would like you to tell me what changed your mind from the truth of God's word?
Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by orisa37: 5:03pm On Oct 16, 2020
WILL BE VERY RELEVANT TILL JESUS COME AND TILL THE END OF THE WORLD AFTER.
Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by musicwriter(m): 9:16pm On Oct 16, 2020
iruoghene7:

Shalom

Yes, there's no historical Jesus outside the bible.

Nobody in history said Jesus healed me.

Nobody in history said I saw Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead.

Nobody in history said I was among the 5,000 multitude Jesus fed with 5 fishes and 2 loaves of bread.

Nobody in history said I saw Jesus turn water to wine.

Nobody in history said I was there when Jesus was beaten by a mob.

Nobody in history said I was there when Jesus was crucified.

Nobody in history said I saw Jesus ascend into heaven.

Nobody in history said I saw Jesus with my two eyes.

Nobody in history even said I lived in the same village or city or town with Jesus.

Nobody witnessed it because its MYTHOLOGY and as @Judybash93 told you earlier, such stories were common in ancient time. Before anybody heard of Jesus, more than 16 other saviours had been ''crucified'' in different parts of the world. All of them were also said to have been born by virgins, they also had 12 disciples, they all died and resurrected into heaven, etc.

The mythologies were passed as stories from generation to generation and were eventually written down in different books. I mean, for all religions including christianity. If you want to understand how all so called holy books exited, go to google and search ''Is There A Single Hinduism Holy Book?'' and read the article at mindvalley.com, and you'll get a picture of how your bible existed before it became one book .The reason I told you to read this is because the holy book of the Hindus still exist in different holy books.

When Rome conquered Europe, middle East, North Africa, there were so many varying points of view from many conquered cultures about who, what and which god to worship and how to worship it. Example; some of the early christians believed that Jesus (whom they heard from mythology) was not the son of God but a prophet. Others believed he was a spirit, while others believed he was just a good man. As you can see, this means it was difficult for Rome or indeed any government to govern the people under one religion. Again, this's because the story mythologies were scattered in various holy books and not in one holy book, so while say the book or Revelation may be acceptable to some Christians in Turkey, same book of Revelation could be rejected by other christians in Syria. This's just for christianity alone o, not other religions. As a result there were so many disagreements in the land.

Eventually, experience taught Rome that if they could gather all the different holy books and write one universal holy book that everybody can relate to, it would be easier for them to control the population under one government. In 325 AD, Emperor Constantine called a meeting and after much shifting of opinions among 318 bishops about which god to choose, they cast a vote and the majority agreed that Jesus was equal to God, trinity, etc. All you have to do is read the Nicene creede. When reading it, read it in opposite and you'll understand what the contention was before the conference. Before that meeting, nobody officially considered Jesus a son of a god not even to talk about being equal to a god.

After the Nicene conference, Rome began gathering all the different mythology story books. I'll skip some few hundred years. But I'll quickly add that between that 325 AD and 1611 AD, Rome manufactured some holy books themselves which they'll later add to the bible. Most of them are the so called letters of Paul, which were actually manufactured by Rome to keep the early christians obedient.

By 1611, one book (the King James) version had been published. It had 80 books. About 16 books were later removed (in continuation of the editing) before you got your bible of today. That's how you got your bible.

All the bible copies in museums are copies of copies of copies of copies of hearsay narratives written in the dark ages i.e 400 AD- 1400 AD. Inducing the so called Jews have no ORIGINAL copy of the old testament. Its all copies of copies of copies. There's no ORIGINAL copy in any museum.

If you want to know the truth, all you have to do is research the history of religions. If you research the history of religions, you may not even need to research the history of christianity because your eyes would have been opened as you realize there's nothing special about the story of Jesus.

The books below may help you.

Christianity before Christ- John G. Jackson

Caesar's Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus- Joseph Atwill

Who wrote the new testament? The making of the Christian myth- by Burten L. Mack

The Christ Myth- T. W. Doane.

Bible myths and their parallel in other religions- by T.W Doane

The sixteen crucified saviors- Kersey Graves

Jesus never existed- Kenneth Humphreys

The Greatest Deception Ever sold- Rabbi Edward L. Nydle & Levi bar Ido

101 Myths of the Bible: How Ancient Scribes Invented Biblical History- Gary Greenberg

A history of God- by Karen Amstrong

I have most of them, and should you or anybody need them, email: kemeticphilosophy@gmail

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by Judybash93(m): 1:35am On Oct 17, 2020
iruoghene7:

Okay, so if I may ask, what is this your new belief?
Since you left the Christian faith due to reasons best known to you, there is no way we can have a sweet fellowship around the word don't you think.
I would like you to tell me what changed your mind from the truth of God's word?

I won't use the word 'belief'. I'm more of a pragmatic epistemologist in that i don't just accept any account based on hearsay or just stories. I try as much as possible to go through every logical reason before arriving at a probable conclusion. Moreover, whatever knowledge i gather regardless of how small should be useful in one way or the other.
Well, i think i started to think about a number of things in relation to religion at a young age and came up with some ideas. For example, i was born in SW Nigeria and my family is a mixture of Muslims and Christians and Muslims which goes in line with the historical accounts of the relationship between Europeans and those that dwelled at the coast of SW Nigeria at that point. However, it also shows the vivid influence of the northerners who had a relations with the Yōrùbás over a long period of time in history especially in places like Kwara and Oyo. A look at the SE also points us to the limited penetration from the North but higher influence from the Europeans. In essence, what I'm trying to point to is that we're a product of what history bestowed upon us. If you were born in India, you would have probably been a Hindu, in Saudi Arabia, you would be a Muslim, in Italy, you'll most probably be a Christian and so on and so forth. So, does that mean my religion is right and everyone is wrong? Or does that mean I'm wrong and everyone is right? That's what kick-started my doubts before i delved into the Bible and did my mind get blown away... Yes, absolutely!!!

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by orisa37: 8:34am On Oct 17, 2020
YES.
Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by Kobojunkiee: 5:00am On Oct 24, 2020
Andy15:
most of my posts seek to discuss with others about THEIR oponions so that where I'm wrong I can be enlightened and were they are wrong they also can be enlightened. Ever heard of "iron sharpening iron".
Ok, when Jesus Christ said...

Matthew 23 vs 8-12
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers.[c]
9. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.
10. Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ.
11. The greatest among you shall be your servant.
12. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
...He is the one and the only Teacher to those who belong to Him, He, Jesus Christ was in error since you claim that by listening to others, they sharpen you, not Jesus Christ(through His very Spirit who is supposed to live in and teach you all things about the Truth Of God)? undecided
Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by Andy15(m): 12:51pm On Nov 08, 2020
Kobojunkiee:
Ok, when Jesus Christ said...

...He is the one and the only Teacher to those who belong to Him, He, Jesus Christ was in error since you claim that by listening to others, they sharpen you, not Jesus Christ(through His very Spirit who is supposed to live in and teach you all things about the Truth Of God)? undecided
you misunderstand me
what I mean is I like to reason with others on the very things that jesus taught so if i they or I am wrong we can correct each other
Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by MistadeRegal(m): 1:21pm On Nov 08, 2020
The Holy Bible is still very relevant; but a time is coming when it will be declared banned globally due to the expository contents of it, as this pose a serious threat to the deception of the coming world order.

Re: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today? by Kobojunkiee: 5:48pm On Nov 09, 2020
Andy15:
you misunderstand me
what I mean is I like to reason with others on the very things that jesus taught so if i they or I am wrong we can correct each other
If you believe that the way you work it is the way it ought to be, ok.
The reason I keep stressing that He, Jesus Christ, and He alone should be our one and only Teacher is that the one we learn from is the one we set as Teacher over our life in all things... Remember, He said you cannot serve two masters. So when we position ourselves to learn from others instead of learning from God alone, we set ourselves up to fail with God. God, indeed wants to teach us how to do everything, eat, sleep, rest, talk, everything... is what I mean. That is why Jesus Christ said that it is only those who become like Children even in their thinking will enter the Kingdom of God.

My hope is that you understand what I mean... also when He said that only those who would die to self, pick up their cross to follow Him were worthy of Him, He meant it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

WWE Star Undertaker Finds Jesus Christ: From Dead Man To Alive In Christ / What Does It Mean To Believe Something? / Year 2022 Prophecies By Pastor Toye Ebijomore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.