Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,226 members, 7,839,199 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. (5398 Views)

Okonjo-iweala To Buhari: You Must Do Something About Oil Cartel / Femi Aribisala: 'Dear Buhari, You Cannot Fight Corruption With Corruption' / Dele Momodu Defends Buhari's Age On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by misterh(m): 12:34am On Mar 13, 2011
@BRAVO ZULU, den we Nigerians must revolt. Enough is enough from PDP. We should take a cue from Tunisia & Egypt
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by naijaking1: 12:40am On Mar 13, 2011
Does anybody hear remember the 53 unsearched luggages belonging to an emir friend of President Buhari that went through the airport the same time 3 Nigerian students were retroactively convicted and put to death for carrying drugs in their own luggages

The soul of those 3 students carry out for justice embarassed.
Buhari should be in jail, not running for president again.

We don't want a Gaddafi in Nigeria.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by AndreUweh(m): 12:42am On Mar 13, 2011
naijaking1:

Does anybody hear remember the 53 unsearched luggages belonging to an emir friend of President Buhari that went through the airport the same time 3 Nigerian students were retroactively convicted and put to death for carrying drugs in their own luggages

The soul of those 3 students carry out for justice embarassed.
Buhari should be in jail, not running for president again.

We don't want a Gaddafi in Nigeria.
Spot on.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by BravoZulu1: 12:53am On Mar 13, 2011
@misterh that option too is difficult to get done nw cause the greater percentage of the population are illitrates who still think that pipe borne water provided by govt is seen as a favour rather than right. to organise such a population for even a peaceful demonstration is an uphill task let alone a revolt. the populace need to be politically educated, which the govt will never do because doing so will mean an end to their stranglehold to power. the change is not going to hold in this generation, not even in our childrens generation, cause the bankoles are been groomed to continue. what we need is a divine intervention. Perhaps an earthquake in an armageddonomic proportion that will wipe every nigerian so that oters will start in a clean state. Nigeria, the more you look, the less you see.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Kobojunkie: 12:58am On Mar 13, 2011
Again on the 53 luggages STORY . . .  a hoax perhaps?   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Owing to the damaging effect of currency trafficking outside the Nation’s shores, the Buhari administration decided to change the colors of the currency notes in April 1984. This yielded the desired result as N5Billion excess liquidity was mopped off! As a backlash on this exercise, there was insidious story from a section of the media that the Buhari regime allowed the Emir of Gwandu, Alhaji Jokolo to bring in 53 suitcases during the currecy change, thereby insinuating a case of double standard. Let it be said from the onset, the opinion tenaciously held on to about this incident was what was sold to the unsuspecting Nigerian public by a section of the press. So much hoodwinked that Buhari's explanation had never been heard!This is what Buhari said about this: "This is a typical case of the press believing what they want to believe. I hope it is not a reflection of the Nigerian society. I hope one day you will find the time to interview the Vice President on this. I understand he was the Customs officer in charge of the Murtala Mohammed airport, perhaps he knows more about it than myself. I have explained this so many times but the press write what they want to write and not what is factual."

. . . . .

As an undergraduate, I did a little bit of mathematical induction. Without doubt, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar was very friendly with General IBB (the serving Chief of Army staff) at the time of this 53-suitcase saga. We cannot infer anything yet, it is necessary to delve a little into IBB's subterfuge and fifth-columnist-posturing during the Buhari regime.

During the infamous Nigerian Medical Association (NMA)-induced doctors' strike of 1984/85, Dr Fashakin (a former NMA President in Ife zone) had in an internet discourse, graciously acknowledged the 'logistics' support extended to the ‘fleeing’ NMA executive members by the same Gen. IBB.

. . . . . .  , 

The Newsprints ordered by Concord Press (owned by Chief MKO Abiola) were seized by the Buhari regime because of infraction of the subsisting importation regulation. On the day (27th August, 1985) the Buhari regime was toppled, an airplane owned by Concord airline ferried General IBB from Minna to Lagos to assume leadership of the Nation. Did that suggest a friendship that facilitated the successful removal of the regime?

Was there a possibility of an alliance by General IBB and Alhaji Atiku Abubakar to embarrass the Buhari regime? I strongly believe so! I therefore make bold to declare that the 53-suitcase issue was a hoax! You are at liberty to hold on to your impression.

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/40741/50/muhammadu-buhari-the-untiring-persona-at-68.html

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/Editorial/5662141-183/story.csp
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by alphabet43(m): 12:58am On Mar 13, 2011
The reason Naija is backwards. It's backward, retarded people like the ones on NL that become leaders. Move to Libya if you want to be ruled by a dictator, the rest of us want a free Nigeria
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Kobojunkie: 1:01am On Mar 13, 2011
Again on the 53 luggages STORY
Tuesday, 07 October 2008

Atiku worked as a customs officer for 20 years and retired as a deputy director of customs before turning to business and politics in 1989. While serving as the area comptroller in charge of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, MMIA, Lagos in 1984, the '53 suitcases' scandal happened. The Buhari administration noticed that politicians were engaging in currency trafficking and suddenly decided to change Nigerian currency notes as a solution. The suddenness and short deadline given for the currency change caught many unawares. The government also insisted that all luggage must be thoroughly checked regardless of the personality behind them.

Against this backdrop, the 53 suitcases belonging to the late Emir of Gwandu and A. Waziri, a former ambassador, arrived at MMIA with instructions that they must not be checked. Atiku refused and insisted that the luggage must be searched in line with the federal government directive. Mustapha Jokolo, a major and Buhari’s aid-de-camp, ADC,then and the emir’s first son, arrived and sealed off the airport insisting that the luggage must be cleared. Jokolo later became emir.

The luggage were eventually cleared. At the same time, Buhari ordered an immediate and thorough investigation into the matter. Atiku’s refusal to allow the entry of the suitcases unless they were checked almost cost him his job. Onaolapo Soleye, then minister of finance who was overseeing the Nigeria Customs Service, argued against his sack based on his unblemished record in the customs. But, Atiku was re-deployed from MMIA.

If Atiku is not in exile, when is he coming back to Nigeria to stay? He provided the answer: “Soon. Before the end of October.”

http://www.newswatchngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=116&Itemid=26
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by naijaking1: 1:04am On Mar 13, 2011
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Kobojunkie: 1:07am On Mar 13, 2011

Story according to the emir's own son

http://nm.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=9177&z=12

Here are the excerpts:

Let’s talk about the controversial 53 suit cases you claimed for your father, the then Emir of Gwandu, in 1984. What is your version of the story?

I have said several times in the last twenty something years that I was innocent of everything. Now, it has turned round that somebody like Prof. Wole Soyinka wrote a book saying that I was smarter than Vice President Atiku. It was wrong of Wole Soyinka to say it happened in Kano. Look, in 1984, my father traveled to London for medical check up. He had an entourage of about 13 people. After his operation, he moved to Saudi Arabia for Umrah, the lesser hajj. On his way back, he was on the same flight with Ambassador Dahiru Waziri who was the Ambassador to Saudi Arabia for six years.

He was appointed State Chief of Protocol and so, was moving back with his entire family. So, he decided to come with them on the same aircraft. Around that time, there was currency change because of the poor economy of the country and the naira was all over the place. We had no control over our economy. The government planned a secret operation to change the colour of the currency. All borders were closed and that was the time when this aircraft was landing. When it came in, I remember we were about to play squash with Buhari, Idiagbon and others.

Then Buhari asked me if my father was not coming back that day. I said ‘Yes sir, we have already sent people to bring him back’. He said ‘Are you not going to receive him?’ I said ‘No sir’ and he said I should go and receive him. He gave me orders to go and receive him.

So, I asked Captain Maitama who was the Commander of the Brigade of Guard to accompany me. So, two of us drove to the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos. While there, I saw some officers who were going on course to the United States. Colonel Walbe was the one who arranged that course.

While we were there, I was told that the aircraft had landed and was also told that they had some problems at the baggage area. When I went with Captain Maitama, I saw some Customs officers with some of our people and I asked what the problem was. They said that the Customs said that they were not allowed to check the luggage. I asked why, every luggage here should be checked. They said those ones on the ground had been checked, but that there were some that were taken away from the aircraft itself in a truck direct from the State House without coming through the customs area. I said whose luggage were they and they said it belong to State Protocol.

One ASP Saidu Gella who also was from Adamawa state like the Chief of Protocol was the Luggage officer in the State House. He was the one who went with Maigari to collect the luggage direct from the aircraft without coming through the Customs. I said ‘Is there anyway you can call them?’ Unfortunately, we do not have the mobile telephone at that time. I asked if they had walkie talkie and the said they had none.

So, I said I was not here for him and asked if they had cleared these ones and he said they had cleared them. ‘Can we go?’ and they said ‘You can go’. I swear to Almighty Allah, if there is anything other than this, may God strike me dead. May he not forgive me my sins. That was all that I knew about all that happened. The following day, we read in the newspapers that there were 35 suit cases that passed through Customs without clearance.

The Emir did not come with 35 suit cases. It was the Chief of Protocol, Dahiru Waziri, whose luggage were taken away from the aircraft straight to his house without going through customs. The Emir’s baggage were not more than 12. All of them had one piece each because they had landed them there. Whatever shopping they did before, they transported them from London in an aircraft and they received them. So, we had cleared their luggage before. At this time, they were in London when there was this ban. When they finished, before they left, there was this border closure.

They had nothing to do with the 35 suit cases. When we cleared their luggage, they had not closed the border and so, they came with single baggage of their dresses. We did not allow what was going on. Then, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the present Vice President was Area Administrator at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport. He was the one who came on air to say it was an Emir from the North who brought not 35, but 53 suit cases. Onalaope Soleye was the Finance Minister. To date that I am talking to you, nobody has asked me to answer anything.

I think there was power play at that time and there were many interest groups. There were people who were trying to bring Buhari down. Buhari’s half brother was on the Emir’s entourage who was father to Alhaji Mamman, same mother with Buhari. People knew about it. So, he was the target. Then, they started mentioning the Emir of Daura, but it was Buhari’s brother who was in the group. Now, Ambassador Dahiru Waziri was colleague to Ambassador Rafindadi who was the Director General of NSO. On their own part, they were trying to cover the Ambassador.

Another angle to it was that Atiku was aiming to be Director of Customs, while Abubakar Musa was Director of Customs. If he was painted in bad light, if Atiku presented himself as the champion of the discovery, Abubakar Musa being from Sokoto, would be painted black and possibly he would be removed and automatically, Atiku would be made Director of Customs. So, you see, there were three interest groups. One, people who are trying to paint Buhari black by referring to the Emir of Daura in the accusation. There was a mention of the Emir of Daura, but they knew it was Buhari’s brother, but they didn’t have the courage to mention Buhari’s brother, Alhaji Dauda. There are people like Atiku who were out to get the Director of Customs and there was Rafindadi, the Director General of NSO who was trying to protect his own friend, the State Chief of Protocol whom he brought to Buhari.

He never knew State Chief of Protocol and since I was there, my father was not the victim, but me. To get access to Buhari, they had to get me first. This is all part of power play and the whole thing was like that. It was being sponsored within the military itself. For example, when Chief Awolowo’s house was searched, Buhari never knew about it. He read it on the pages of newspapers. It was carried out by a group of military officers who arranged for Chief Awolowo’s house to be searched. They knew Buhari would not come out to say ‘I didn’t order it’. So, it was power play and I had no opportunity to defend myself because I was not allowed to speak.

http://nm.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=9177&z=12
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Kobojunkie: 1:11am On Mar 13, 2011

http://www.bookrags.com/wiki/Atiku_Abubakar

Abubakar came up the ranks of the ruling PDP primarily, due to the pivotal role he played in its formation. He was also an ardent opponent of General Sani Abacha, the late dictator. Atiku's source of wealth has caused some curiosity among Nigerians but that also goes for many other wealthy Nigerians. He has said in a new biography yet to be published that he made his money, "through wise investments, hard work and sheer luck of being at the right place at the right time," but many think this statement is just a smokescreen.

He worked as a Customs Officer for twenty years, rising to the rank of Deputy Director before turning to business and politics in 1989. While serving as a Customs officer in charge at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos in 1984, the infamous "53 suitcases" scandal belonging to the late Emir of Gwandu happened. [b]This incident incensed the then Head of State, General Buhari and his Deputy, Brig. Tunde Idiagbon, who ordered an immediate and thorough investigation into the matter, to the chagrin of the Head of State's then ADC, Maj. Mustafa Jokolo, who was, incidentally, the Emir's first son. The Finance Minister at the time, Onaolapo Soleye and another young but influential Army Officer, Col. Chris Alli, tried in vain to plead Atiku's case before Buhari and Idiagbon. Fate was later to conspire in Abubakar's favour just as his trial was all set to go ahead: General Ibrahim Babangida, in an effort to save his own skin, overthrew the Buhari regime. This worked perfectly well for Atiku Abubakar, who was eventually eased out of office (effectively sacked). [/b]A counter-view is however posited by Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, who records, "Not only did Buhari dispatch his aide-de-camp, Jokolo, to facilitate the entry of those cases, he ordered the redeployment, of the Customs Officer (Atiku) who stood firmly against the entry of the contravening baggage" (The Guardian, Feb. 6, 2007, p2)

Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by naijaking1: 1:50am On Mar 13, 2011
All these young, uninformed and impressionable kids running around these days don't know anything about Buhari, listen to this:

"A counter-view is however posited by Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, who records, "Not only did Buhari dispatch his aide-de-camp, Jokolo, to facilitate the entry of those cases, he ordered the redeployment, of the Customs Officer (Atiku) who stood firmly against the entry of the contravening baggage" (The Guardian, Feb. 6, 2007, p2)"

I have told everybod, Buhari and his group are part and parcel of Nigeria's problem right from time.

In an ideal society, Pat Utomi will be the Obama of our generation, follwed by Ribadu.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Solomon227(m): 2:07am On Mar 13, 2011
naijaking1:

All these young, uninformed and impressionable kids running around these days don't know anything about Buhari, listen to this:

"A counter-view is however posited by Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, who records, "Not only did Buhari dispatch his aide-de-camp, Jokolo, to facilitate the entry of those cases, he ordered the redeployment, of the Customs Officer (Atiku) who stood firmly against the entry of the contravening baggage" (The Guardian, Feb. 6, 2007, p2)"

I have told everybod, Buhari and his group are part and parcel of Nigeria's problem right from time.

In an ideal society, Pat Utomi will be the Obama of our generation, follwed by Ribadu.

So Nigeria is not an ideal world, Pat is just making the number while Ribadu does not have the 'number' so do allow the Evils in PDP/GEJ/IBB/OBJ to continue while Buhari has demonstrated convincing positive attitudes in the past?

Buhari-Bakare 2011 is the instrument of change we have been looking 4 and this time around the power will be snatched by the paople

[size=24pt]Vote BB 2011[/size] for the future of our children
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by naijaking1: 2:08am On Mar 13, 2011
Buhari should have been in jail long before now.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Solomon227(m): 2:22am On Mar 13, 2011
naijaking1:

By your comment I see u are still having the 'sun-shades' on. Most of us have disposed ours and we see clearly now. We have 2 options:

Evil/PDP/GEJ/OBJ/IBB/Unemployement/Increased Killing/Unlimited looting or /Discipline/Accountabilty/Honesty/BB/

We have made our choice.,.,.,join us as we change Nigeria for good

[size=25pt]Vote BB 2011[/size] for the future of our children
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by dayokanu(m): 7:05am On Mar 13, 2011
naijaking1:

Why hasnt GEJ put him in jail? That shows that we shouldnt vote for GEJ cos he allows criminals to walk freely. GEJ is to weak and mumucious to lead Nigeria

rather Buhari arrests and jails criminals

Vote Buhari
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Jakumo(m): 7:22am On Mar 13, 2011
Given the rising global threat of Islamic fundamentalist terror, of which Ayatollah Buhari is a poster boy, I remain convinced that Uncle Sam is paying very close attention to developments in Nigeria, given that nation's strategic importance as a supplier of high grade crude oil.

In the extremely unlikely event that Sharia amputation law exponent Buhari comes close to rigging his way into power as Nigeria's next president, there is absolutely no question in my mind that the Baboon-Dawa of Kutuwenji Village will be terminated with extreme prejudice in a manner that forecloses the option of an open-casket funeral. That necessary strategic elimination will have been sanctioned by agents of freedom and democracy, in order to save Nigeria and her trading partners from the cancer of fundamentalist lunacy, which the doomed Ayatollah exemplifies.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by 9ijaMan: 9:58am On Mar 13, 2011
Jakumo:

Given the rising global threat of Islamic fundamentalist terror, of which Ayatollah Buhari is a poster boy, I remain convinced that Uncle Sam is paying very close attention to developments in Nigeria, given that nation's strategic importance as a supplier of high grade crude oil.

In the extremely unlikely event that Sharia amputation law exponent Buhari comes close to rigging his way into power as Nigeria's next president, there is absolutely no question in my mind that the Baboon-Dawa of Kutuwenji Village will be terminated with extreme prejudice in a manner that forecloses the option of an open-casket funeral. That necessary strategic elimination will have been sanctioned by agents of freedom and democracy, in order to save Nigeria and her trading partners from the cancer of fundamentalist lunacy, which the doomed Ayatollah exemplifies.

Despite all ya big grammar you still suffer from mental slavery!
Uncle Sam ko. . . aunty Ayo ni!
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by naijaking1: 2:32pm On Mar 13, 2011
Isn't it funny that people should believe anything Buhari says for the sake of getting elected?
Yes, he promises freedom for all, but did he give freedom to all when he had the opportunity?
He promises discipline, we still remember how biased his War against Indisciple was.
He promises, promises, and promises to do things he refused to do as president in the 1980s.
So, where did he go to have a change of heart, an informed perspective? No where, he's still the same old tyranical Buhari who thinks God created Christians and other Nigerians to serve his Hausa/Fulani oligarchy with their blood and sweat.
You can't fool me angry
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by 9ijaMan: 2:52pm On Mar 13, 2011
naijaking1:

Isn't it funny that people should believe anything Buhari says for the sake of getting elected?
Yes, he promises freedom for all, but did he give freedom to all when he had the opportunity?
He promises discipline, we still remember how biased his War against Indisciple was.
He promises, promises, and promises to do things he refused to do as president in the 1980s.
So, where did he go to have a change of heart, an informed perspective? No where, he's still the same old tyranical Buhari who thinks God created Christians and other Nigerians to serve his Hausa/Fulani oligarchy with their blood and sweat.
You can't fool me angry
Why would Buhari fool you when you are already being fooled by Jona. Your reasoning above shows clearly the effect of the 12 years of consistent decay in the Nigerian educational institutions. You proved to be a real product of PDP's misrule as such there is no need for anyone to try to fool you now. You've been fooled for 12 long years to the extent that you no longer comprehend what the word means.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by naijaking1: 3:06pm On Mar 13, 2011
9ijaMan:

Why would Buhari fool you when you are already being fooled by Jona. Your reasoning above shows clearly the effect of the 12 years of consistent decay in the Nigerian educational institutions. You proved to be a real product of PDP's misrule as such there is no need for anyone to try to fool you now. You've been fooled for 12 long years to the extent that you no longer comprehend what the word means.

People who don't remember Buhari in the 1980s are the ones being fooled. Look at yourself in the mirror.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Kobojunkie: 8:02pm On Mar 13, 2011
Time2Think:

3. Rice, sugar, salf and toiletries became essential commodities, sold at controlled prices. --- prices that were within the reach of the average nigerian

13. WAI brigade

Those two were all it took to make me love the change. We used to wake up early each day so we could head on down to Haruna Bread, at Haruna Bus Stop in Ikorodu to get freshly baked bread for 10 kobo on our way to school. It was awesome. And with the town CLEAN, and DISCIPLINED, it was great growing up in that town.  Even the then poor appreciated the fact that they could still get 3 square meals daily. grin
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Seun(m): 4:08am On Mar 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Those two were all it took to make me love the change. We used to wake up early each day so we could head on down to Haruna Bread, at Haruna Bus Stop in Ikorodu to get freshly baked bread for 10 kobo on our way to school. It was awesome. And with the town CLEAN, and DISCIPLINED, it was great growing up in that town.  Even the then poor appreciated the fact that they could still get 3 square meals daily. grin
Is that sustainable? I bet you studied economics in school. How would you like it if the government forces you to provide your consulting services at a more "affordable" price?
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Kobojunkie: 4:35am On Mar 14, 2011
Seun:

Is that sustainable?  I bet you studied economics in school.  How would you like it if the government forces you to provide your consulting services at a more "affordable" price?

^^^ uum . .   the price of much of quite a bit of what we consume here(America) is still CONTROLLED !!  grin

Obama orders inquiry into gasoline price gouging

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/obama-orders-inquiry-into-gasoline-price-gouging-2011-03-11
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by 9ijaMan: 10:35am On Mar 14, 2011
Seun:

Is that sustainable? I bet you studied economics in school. How would you like it if the government forces you to provide your consulting services at a more "affordable" price?

Seun you are not right there. The military government of Buhari only forced those who were hoarding commodities in order to creat artificial scarcity and subsequently force the price to go up. No government will be able to force anyone to make intangible goods such as consulting services to be cheaper.
Hence you postulation will not come to pass as you cannot possibly hoard intangible goods as you can tangible commodities.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 14, 2011
9ijaMan:

Seun you are not right there. The military government of Buhari only forced those who were hoarding commodities in order to creat artificial scarcity and subsequently force the price to go up. No government will be able to force anyone to make intangible goods such as consulting services to be cheaper.
Hence you postulation will not come to pass as you cannot possibly hoard intangible goods as you can tangible commodities.

Bros, where were you then?
I was an eye witness. The so called task force was moving through the streets with a van. One of them will enter a shop and ask for some items. If you are not selling on the "forced" price, you will be arrested, prosecuted and jailed.
Buhari is a tyrant and must not be allowed to ruin Nigeria. He is no different from the other dictators. Besides, Mr clean Buhari is yet to explain what he was doing with Abacha by serving as the head of Abacha's Petroluenm Theiving Funds.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by 10cirenoh: 12:50pm On Mar 14, 2011
noblezone:

I was an eye witness. The so called task force was moving through the streets with a van. One of them will enter a shop and ask for some items. If you are not selling on the "forced" price, you will be arrested, prosecuted and jailed.
Buhari is a tyrant and must not be allowed to ruin Nigeria. He is no different from the other dictators. Besides, Mr clean Buhari is yet to explain what he was doing with Abacha by serving as the head of Abacha's Petroluenm Theiving Funds.

People like you needs to be rounded up and shot in the head, so because he fought against people who hoard products just to make it expensive, you're here saying rubbish, may amadioha strike you point blank.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Kobojunkie: 2:02pm On Mar 14, 2011
noblezone:

Dude, Please there is no need to start making things up now . . . . ROFLMAO!!!!!  I have NEVER EVER HEARD this before and we had stores all over Lagos back then ourselves.  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

The whole price control period was not only brief but enforced more by people, not some TASK FORCE IN VANS. . . . People reported those who they believed were involved in price gouging, and the authorities would investigate.

This is not to say that things were 100% a'OK during Buhari's short 20 months in office -- if anything, I admit he came as a dictator but I am unwilling to deny the fact that many of the changes made by that administration reached the common Nigerian in small period compared to any change or programs initiated by previous administrations and those after. There is no need to confuse/make stories up about an administration simply because we can.
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by agabaI23(m): 12:50pm On Mar 15, 2011
I am not aware they used vans. What I know is that the task force guys disguised themselves as customers. They would ask for the price of an item if it is available. If they retailer sells above Govt price, they would brandish their IDs and would then inform the shop owner he was under arrest and would be taken away,
This is true.
Don't forge that the shop owner bought at N5 and he was forced to sell at N4
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by 10cirenoh: 2:13pm On Mar 15, 2011
^^^^^

Habaaaaaaaa you have started lying again, how can you buy for N5 and be forced to sell for N4? can you be truthful for once? what did you buy for N4 that was initially bought by the seller for N5?
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Johndoe100(m): 2:15pm On Mar 15, 2011
[b]Nigeria has always been a basket case. Things that are abnormal and aberrations takes place in Nigeria everyday; they are commonplace and they assume normality and are acceptable as part of our life. Having illiterate soldiers rail road the whole nation of well educated people was at one time acceptable in the mentality of Nigerians. At the sight of a demented soldier on national television Nigerians rush out to celebrate and welcome the new 'messiah' to Dodan Barrack. The people easily lap up the new soldier of fortune's promises and good intentions and will be glad that the thieves in babariga and tall caps (a la Shagari's) have been arrested and their political parties "dissolved." People will take to the streets to listen to all the new promises of what the new "fedra gonment" will do. They will lap up all the "summarily dismissed," "hearby dissolved," "summarily expelled," and nonsense like "this gonment will not tallrate any indisplin" from the very mouth of lowlifes who are the very epitome of indiscipline! Mohammudu Buhari was one of such undisciplined soldiers that forcefully terminated democratically constituted and elected governments. [/b]

advertisement

The twin towers of terror, Mohammudu Buhari and his co-traveler Tunde Idiagbon, plotted and terminated the second republic. The second republic was never a worthy venture considering the excesses and corruption of the epicureans in Alhaji Shehu Shagari and Adisa (the self-processed and heavily deluded AMA, Always Mentally Alert) Akiloye's National Party of Nigeria (NPN), but only the people have the right to terminate it through the ballot box. But Buhari has no regard for the ballot box or democratic process that engenders and enthrones democratic regimes. Like any soldier of fortune with a huge personal agenda, Buhari overthrew the government of Alhaji Shehu Shagari. He accused the civilian administration of corruption and bad governance; he called them names and came to the conclusion that they will be "summarily disciplined." On December 31, 1983, Mohammudu Buhari rolled back the hands of the nation's development and stymied the progress of Nigeria. He decided to clean up the mess left behind by the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) and restore order. But rather than dealing with the crooks, philanders, epicureans, grabbers and looters in the NPN and hold them accountable, he chose to punish only a section of the political landscape; he focused on the political opposition that controlled less than 30% of the funds at the time. Buhari arrested, detained and tried all the governors of the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) while the erstwhile leaders of the NPN were left untouched and a mere handful of them kept under house arrest.

Buhari's was a selective approach to governance and justice. Not a single Hausa/Fulani man or woman was arrested, interrogated, detained, brought to trial or sent to jail during his dictatorship despite the legions of Southern non-Muslim 'infidels' he detained without trial, sentenced for flimsy reasons, or murdered by retroactive law. It was only Umaru Dikko he went after - for whatever personal reasons - among the dozens of NPN chieftains, but he kept the likes of Professor Ambrose Ali, Chief Olabisi Onabanjo, Chief Michael Adekunle Ajasin and Chief Bola Ige in prison. He tried them and retried them until they were found guilty. His goal was to find them guilty and it was at all cost. For him it was better to find the 'infidels' guilty rather than trouble the 'elect.' Buhari incarcerated the UPN governors who brought development to their people and their states and rewarded NPN governors who could not account for the revenue allocations they got and the loans they borrowed with house arrests and freedom to move around! It was Buhari's Northern Agenda, an agenda soaked in his belief in a pious North and determination to deal ruthlessly with the 'infidels,' from the Christian South and its inferior Muslim population who were not Muslim enough,

The repeated imprisonment, trials and tribulations heaped on the UPN governors hastened the untimely demise of Chief Olabisi Onabanjo and Professor Ambrose Alli. Buhari lacked the conscience to care; he was least interested in the fairness of his action. All the ministers of the National Party of Nigeria and their party chieftains such as the former president Alhaji Shehu Shagari, Suleman Takuma, Adamu Ciroma, Yahaya Dikko and many others were left untouched; they were too pious and of a special Northern breed to be touched. Buhari settled for scapegoats and 'infidels' from the South to justify that he was cleaning the nation of corruption when in fact he wore a garment of greed and excesses. He showed very little respect for the law of the land. He even went a step further to backdate laws in order to ensure that three suspected drug pushers, Bartholomew Owoh, Bernard Ogedengbe and Lawal Ojuolape were found guilty by retroactive law, but then that was a drug trade that prominent Northern Nigerian businessmen were well noted for. In doing this, he insulted the civil society and drew the anger and criticism of the Nigerian media, labour unions, the Nigerian Bar Association, the National Association of Resident Doctors, and many other unions and organizations. Dr. Beko Ransome-Kuti and his brother, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti suffered greatly from the inhuman actions and detentions of Buhari and his band of plunders. The three drug suspects were found guilty and murdered by retroactive law. Decree No. 20 of 1984 was not only inhuman and illegal in its composition, it was draconian and a law made by fools, because suddenly action that we acceptable and normal when taken were strangely turned into criminal actions. The Public Officers (Protection Against False Accusation) Decree 4 of 1984 was Buhari's gift to the Nigerian Press and its first victims were The Guardian's Tunde Thompson and Nduka Iraboh.

Buhari did not even consider the ministers of Alhaji Shehu Shagari who broke every law, plundered the nation's resources and spent money like it was going out of fashion for any punishment. He did not come to punish the 'saints,' because the saints are too pious. His war against indiscipline (WAI) was conceived in deceit. Only the unholy will be punished for acts of indiscipline. The pious have the right to 'take,' to 'use,' and to 'remove' whatever they want, and their taking, using and removing what they want is holy and righteous before Allah. As far as Buhari was concerned only the people in the South were undisciplined since the North was and still is pure and pious. Only numskulls will hold such silly and silly believes, but Buhari was far from convinced about the superiority of his Hausa/Fulani race and the purity of Islam. For Buhari, he was right and pure and we (the people in the South) are dead. He considered himself sent by Allah to either purify them or exterminate them all.

The Emir of Gwandu was too pious and as such was at liberty to bring in his 53 suitcases. While the people importing contrabands were predominantly from the North, only the few from the South were arrested and prosecuted. Alhaji Jokolo, the current Emir of Gwandu and son of the then Emir recently said his father only brought back 12 suitcases and not 53. Jokolo, a former colonel in the Nigeria Army said it was General Buhari who instructed him to go to the airport to receive his father, the then Emir. Mustapha Jokolo acknowledged that several suitcases were taken straight from the aircraft to the State House. He said those were for the Chief of Protocol, Dahiru Waziri. They were all in the government of Mohammudu Buhari but Buhari did not put them on trial for bringing contraband goods into the country or for disobeying the law by not taking their luggage through the normal process of inspection. Even Buhari's brother was on that same entourage of the Emir of Gwandu, but all of them are neck and shoulder above the law, and the war against indiscipline does not affect them; they are above such petty laws that were made for commoners and Southerners.

General Buhari has very little education, like the rest of his khaki-wearing comrades who ruled Nigeria by force and by decrees. He attended primary school in Daura and later the Katsina Model School before attending military training at home and overseas. We can safely say that this is another cretin case with very little ability for creative, analytical and constructive thinking. Even his actions as military dictator were causes of concern for the academia, and they worry why any rational person will take those actions or follow the steps Buhari followed. A few months or a year in any military college or cadet program can never prepare any soldier for governance. Soldiers are trained to follow rules and to obey orders; never to run government, lead civilians or be seen in the civil society wearing uniform around. No military training prepare or pretend to prepare a soldier to run a local government or a state. Buhari was poorly educated and has a low intelligence quotient (IQ) to manage the affairs of the people of Katsina State and as such lack what it takes to manage the affairs of Nigeria. He forcefully imposed himself on the Nigerian people and made a terrible work of it; he caused confusion, did the economy no good and dehumanized the civil society. If he failed when he was a dictator, I do not see him succeeding in a democratic, give-and-take environment.

Buhari accepted the Abacha contraption and was one of the first few who embraced Abacha quite early and saw nothing wrong in the annulment of MKO Abiola's freely given mandate. Buhari was therefore rewarded with the chairmanship of the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) by his friend, General Sani Abacha. The PTF had annual budgets that were far more than what most states of the federation received from the federal purse. The Fund began in 1996 with an initial capital of almost 60 billion naira. It was a duplication of social services and it became the bottomless pit that allowed the Northern Oligarchy to loot the national treasury once again. It was like the return of the Nigerian National Supply Company (NNSC) and contracts were flowing and doing so in abundance, but available only to the Oligarchy who will then turn around to sell the contract papers to a Southerner at huge profit. It all became a joke in Lagos about how some people procured the paper and made billions and some bought the paper and do all the work for little or nothing! Buhari's PTF built roads at federal, state and local government levels at a time when the Federal Ministry of Work lacked the funds to repair roads. PTF also procured drugs at a time when the Federal Ministry of Heath did not have the budget to provide drugs for federal hospitals. It was said that the PTF had 115.6 billion naira available to it as at December 31, 1997, funds that were never audited or properly accounted for. Like Abacha and the rest of his government, the PTF was set up to provide an opportunity to loot without any need for accountability; and corruption and indiscipline were never fought at that level. A wise former head of state would have seen that PTF was an alternative government and he would have rejected the offer to be part of it, but not Mr. Buhari. PTF brought untold opportunities and allowed him to practically rebuild Katsina, Kaduna and the rest of the north while a few projects were thrown at the Southern States.

More roads were built in each of Funtua, Gusau, Kaduna, and Sokoto than in Lagos or Oyo State. Over 70% of the Fund's allocation went into modernizing the roads in the North. For example, roads in Malali Government Reservation Area (GRA) in Kaduna were as good as you can wish for before PTF was set up, but these roads were dualized with PTF's money all the way to Durbar Hotel and beyond. Buhari's idea of Nigeria is one in which the north is superior and it must always take the lion share of everything. Unfortunately Muhammudu Buhari is the presidential candidate of Bola Tinubu, the self-professed leader of the Yoruba people. It is very obvious they have so much in common - brash, uncreative, unimaginative and false superior air. Contractors such as Chagori and Chagori (C&C) and Afri-Projects Consortium were some of the major beneficiaries of the PTF contracts. The PTF even carried out projects in Military barracks despite the fact that those projects have been provided for in the Ministry of Defence's budget. The Armed Forces PTF was allocated 20% of the PTF funds and with it came more funds to loot and no accountability. In the final analysis it was confirmed that Buhari wasted 135 billion naira of the PTF's 146 billion and all this financial abuse during the time Abacha was waging war against indiscipline and corruption (WAIC). The joke is on Abacha, Buhari and their ilk, and I am laughing out loud, really loud.

Human rights violations brought the civil society in confrontation with the twin towers of terror. Buhari and Idiagbon were ruthless and they disregarded every right, every dignity and ignored every court injunction as they inflicted untold pains on human rights organizations, newspapers, labour unions, and the community of editors, journalists, writers, reporters, and opinion leaders. The twin towers were right and we were all wrong and as such detained - kept away for as long as their lordships wanted. It has often been speculated that the reason why Buhari terminated a democratic government was to give him the opportunity to remove the documents relating to the missing Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) missing $2.8 billion. For reasons relating to the missing $2.8 billion, Buhari detained, intimidated, jailed and abused people at will. His detention camps were flung open by his successor and the whole world was shocked beyond believe that a human being will go to any extent to dehumanize other human beings for no reason at all. The unfortunate traveler and the other tower in the Buhari dictatorship, Tunde Idiagbon was no doubt the honest and decent of the two men. Idiagbon was a disciplined soldier who got into a ride with a crooked driver behind the wheels.

There is no doubt in my mind that General Mohammudu Buhari failed in every area of assessment. He lacks the temperament to tolerate democratic culture, he is poorly educated and lack the creative, analytical and strategic thinking required leading a nation like Nigeria. It is true Buhari had gunned his way into power in Nigeria before, essentially an accident of history that should never have happened. He may be qualified to lead the Caliphate but even then the days of the Caliphate have receded into the footnotes of history. Buhari was a soldier who disobeyed his commander in chief and forcefully removed an elected government from office. Besides lacking the moral authority and shared values required of a democratic leader, Buhari's antecedent as minister in the petroleum ministry where funds disappeared and later as chairman of the Petroleum Trust Funds where cases of widespread corruption and sectionalism were rampant necessarily made it imperative to disqualify this former tower of terror.

http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/babsajayi/121010.html
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by 10cirenoh: 2:24pm On Mar 15, 2011
^^^^^
lol you don come again? hehehe but you are going to fail again just as you have been failing grin grin grin
Re: The Buhari You Didnt Know - For Those Under 30 Years Of Age On NairaLand. by Kobojunkie: 2:34pm On Mar 15, 2011
10cirenoh:

^^^^^

Habaaaaaaaa you have started lying again, how can you buy for N5 and be forced to sell for N4? can you be truthful for once? what did you buy for N4 that was initially bought by the seller for N5?

Ofcourse that was not the case.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

IPOB, A Disaster For Biafra, By Chukwuemerie Uduchukwu- Premium Times / Apc Upset With Nwoye's Channels Tv Appearance, "Exposed Apc Plans" / PMB Presents 2019 Budget To NASS Next Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.