Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,036 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? (338 Views)

Please I’m A Student Of Babcock And My Result Are Bad / ASUU Strike: ASUU Seeks Public Opinion On Twitter / Why Are We Allowing Foreigners To Tell Us Our Universities Are Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by Cetacean419: 6:45am On Oct 16, 2020
Most of the time in Nairaland you see young students asking about courses and we play down on things.
In My former account back then in 2007 I asked about Engineering and Agriculture. Many NAIRALANDERS were saying that I should go for engineering and I did since my parents were even saying It is a must.
I do not totally regret it but I wish I went for a course like biotechnology involving Agriculture or Agriculture.
Although I am doing various courses under Agriculture but I wished I studied it.
Agriculture makes you an employer of Labour and I know as small as my farm is, just 1 acre now the one I just relocated to last now. I pay my workers over 30k although they don't work everyday or work for long hours plus benefits.
My guy that studied botany is a big horticulturist sell flowers in Lekki and also sells plants to herb experts, pharmaceutical companies etc.
My aunt studied fishery and she is a hot business woman in Asaba and a yearly gross for fish sales is a lot.
You can work with the course you studied. All those times you are spending your money on fruitlessness and frivolities can go into something tangible.
I hear them condemning Animal Scientists and Vets . I know how much I pay for my poultry, sheeps and goats.
My animal scientist advised me to castrate some of my sheeps which I thought was a expensive.
I got a vet who charged me over 75000 for four sheeps. I know how much the vet fumigates my farm and my poultry.
My aunt don't spend less that 500k every month for a fishery care.
IN SHORT IF YOU ARE GOING FOR A COURSE BECAUSE YOU THINK THERE'S A JOB, YOU ARE IN FOR A LONG THING.
If you study medicine,pharmacy,law or engineering because it is prestigious but not how you can improve the system I pity you.
I HAD THIS MENTALITY UNTIL REALITY HIT HARD.
I SEE MANY YOUNG MED STUDENTS SAYING THEY CAN'T BE JOBLESS BUT UNDERPAID AT MOST . I LAUGH AT THIS MEDIOCRE STATEMENTS.
SO REASON AM YOU GET, SIEVE IT
Re: Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by othermen: 6:51am On Oct 16, 2020
Many engineer's now work in peripheral operations in the bank; the teller you met yesterday is likely one. nothing is wrong in being a teller.

Requires additional resources such as contacts to do good with a law degree these days; many young lawyers are trying to get into the HR profession. Sons of SANs such as Falz knows there is more to reach and earn in the entertainment industry.

My doctor does freelance to sustain himself. Those with means have left the country. For years now, he hasn't earned above 400 dollars a month. The few lucky ones get good shot in parastatals or multinationals. My other female doctor friends now sell hair, body creams and bags to support all.

Many of the economists I know, work in customer service in the bank. Ask five customer service officers you meet, 3 of them had a degree in economics, and a good grade at that.

Many do not have knowledge about the demands of the labor market or what the labor market values and they are inculcated by the prestige attached to their discipline, which makes them also foolishly conceited - as it limits their chances for something good or great.

Prestigious discipline won't feed you. If you are not extraordinary or from a background where such discipline is grounded, you will have a lots of struggling to contend.

If you are a young person; do a little asking around, go to a court, observe the lawyers, ask a lawyer, 'I am considering Law, what are the challenges I might face in terms of building a career, ask them what course they would rather have taken or done' attend a career class, where you meet HR professionals; enquire from that Medical Doctor, he will likely tell you about that his laboratory scientist friend that he may refer you to outside his own employ, makes more sense financially.

And yes, young doctors these days are taught to generate revenue for their private clinics; they will give drugs you don't need, require you to do meaningless tests...and if you appear rich, they might sustain whatever difficulty that made you approach them.

Again, in addition to coming on this platform to ask about what to do with your career, also meet real people out there already in the field or labor market. When you see some individuals with first class, searching for jobs for years, or you see a discipline professionals trying to get out of the country- it is a reference to your own future experience.

Ask questions and don't go with the whole nonsense that a course is prestigious because it is professional, but know that often because it is professional, those that do have very limited opportunities. Be humble, be friendly and do good within your reach and the good will seek you out. That carpenter friend or tailor, stay in touch with them, advise them on branding, introduce them to others, become their business partners.

Consider disciplines that trains you to become entrepreneurs as well. As op suggested you can already have a big fish farm with tens of individuals in your employ before concluding your degree in fishery for instance. Don't allow the illusion of prestigious derail you.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 16, 2020
The other day I saw a thread saying Microbiology vs Med lab which one is better and some people were seriously defending Microbiology and I was like "WTF!!"
Re: Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by Cetacean419: 7:00am On Oct 16, 2020
OJay360:
The other day I saw a thread saying Microbiology vs Med lab which one is better and some people were seriously defending Microbiology and I was like "WTF!!"
Funny I must say. Microbiology is a streamlined course. But if you do the course willingly then no qualms
Re: Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 16, 2020
Cetacean419:

Funny I must say. Microbiology is a streamlined course. But if you do the course willingly then no qualms
I know, but it shouldn't be compared to Med lab, it has its own path.
Re: Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by tobechi20(m): 8:01am On Oct 16, 2020
Follow your heart
Re: Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by Cetacean419: 8:45am On Oct 16, 2020
OJay360:
I know, but it shouldn't be compared to Med lab, it has its own path.
Although in the USA and UK med lab Scientists are under the Pathological Labs and is headed by a Chief Pathologist which is a medical doctor. In Brazil, Kenya, some parts of asia it is headed by those who have a Doctoral degree like pharmacists, microbiologists, lab technologists and Scientists or Biologists, vets, Molecular Biologists.
So guess they're are important after all.
Nigeria is just too rigid to adjust but I bet they will change
Re: Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:50am On Oct 16, 2020
The best course anyone can do in today's tech world is computer science. Medicine is also really good. Forget about how bad and useless Nigeria is. Doctors are in demand globally and a medical doctor determined to leave will leave. Same as nurses. I agree with engineering though. Many engineering courses are fast loosing relevance.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by Cetacean419: 8:58am On Oct 16, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
The best course anyone can do in today's tech world is computer science. Medicine is also really good. Forget about how bad and useless Nigeria is. Doctors are in demand globally and a medical doctor determined to leave will leave. Same as nurses. I agree with engineering though. Many engineering courses are fast loosing relevance.
I totally agree that medicine can never lose its relevance neither will some medical courses But I see a time when the cost will rise high. Then private individuals will manage the health sector then the costs will sky rocket because better facilities will be there and only those that can take loans or have big sponsors then Doctors salaries will be mouth watering
Re: Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:02am On Oct 16, 2020
Cetacean419:

I totally agree that medicine can never lose its relevance neither will some medical courses But I see a time when the cost will rise high. Then private individuals will manage the health sector then the costs will sky rocket because better facilities will be there and only those that can take loans or have big sponsors then Doctors salaries will be mouth watering
We don't even have enough doctors in Nigeria. The young doctors are not writing Nigerian professional exams. They are all after plab, USMLE or one other foreign exam. The future is really scary for healthcare in Nigeria.
Re: Opinion: Many Nairalanders Are Bad Advisors? by Cetacean419: 9:26am On Oct 16, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

We don't even have enough doctors in Nigeria. The young doctors are not writing Nigerian professional exams. They are all after plab, USMLE or one other foreign exam. The future is really scary for healthcare in Nigeria.
According to Nigeria So called statistics we have 72000 doctors registered But the those thar left are over 35000 so guess the amount of those available. Let me just give it an increase of 15000 to make it 90000.
We have less than 500 psychiatrist, over 300 ophthalmologist, less than a thousand Pathologist, less than 250000 nurses.
Less than 100000 optometrist, Less than 100000 pharmacists. Less than 10000 vets and 20000 dentists
Now tell me if we are not headed for a big ditch

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Discloses Why It Is Yet To Call Off Nationwide Strike / Astrology/cosmology/space Science Thread / Residence Permit After Studies Overseas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.