Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,142 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? (21499 Views)

Constituents Disown Orji Kalu For Advocating Muslim/muslim Ticket For Tinubu / 2023: Video Advocating For A Youth President In Nigeria / APC Set To Establish Institute For Progressive Studies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by AnonPoet: 10:59am On Oct 17, 2020
ENDSARS PROTESTS: ADVOCATING FOR PROGRESSIVE REFORMS OR CARNIVALS FOR PARTY REVELLERS – TIMING IS KEY

The last two weeks have been a watershed moment for decades-long calls for reforms of
institutions in the nation, and the unfolding events have stirred emotions and soul searching as
the youth of the country have brought to the fore the importance of these reforms for the first
time to take front and centre of national discourse.
The Nigerian youth have proven themselves in every characteristic as true millennials;
those who have come to take the very heart and soul of the nation into the 21st century. The
protests have garnered worldwide support and the public opinion has been overwhelmingly
in support of their cause and demands. Beginning as just outrage to police violence, it has
metamorphosed into a genuine call for social reforms which have been long over due. It is clear
that the attention the protests have given to these societal issues is now be given attention and
dialogue has become the next logical step in seeing the actualization of the demands.

But timing is of utmost importance.
As with any movement of people or ideology, timing and clarity of purpose is everything.
Following the masses protests that rocked much of the South in the United States following the
discrimination and violence in Birmingham, Alabama the US government under the leadership
of John F Kennedy were called to action and move to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which
outlawed discrimination based on race, colour, religion or gender. The protests, very much
like the #EndSARS protests, were also largely peacefully carried out by protesters and the
government had no other option but to hastily listen to their demands and act on them. The
protesters seized the moment to advocate for purpose-driven change, reforms leading to the
end of segregation and prejudice that has since been built on over the last 50 years.
The #EndSARS protesters should seize the moment and not become complacent. Every day is
critical to taking the initiative and engaging in dialogue, especially when leadership in states
like Lagos, where the governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has been at the forefront constantly
engaging with protesters across his state and readily making himself available for dialogue
as the protesters continue to block of major thoroughfares and highways, crippling economic
activity across the state.

It would appear that most of the protesters themselves, whom have stayed true to the demand
of the protest the week prior, have indeed began to lose sight of their agenda. This can be seen
in most protest grounds been converted into street parties and raves, where the atmosphere is
carnival-like. Young revellers have flocked daily to the protests grounds to frolick into the late
hours, indulging in wild drinking, indecent exposures and use of banned substances.
It would appear that the message is being lost in translation and not all the protesters are
happy with this.
“We believe we have made our point to the world and have demanded a seat at the table to end
not only police violence, but to force reforms in society”, said Feyikemi Adetiba, a 24-year old
protester who has been at the protests all week. “But we seem to be losing our focus. Some of
us come here just for the fun. I don’t know if I can continue to partake in these parties if it is all
we come here to do”.

“This is the change we have demanded for and we can take this to the next level now. We
believe we can sit with leaders and they have heard our voices loud and clear”, says Felicia a
20-year old student. “But it’s like we are just not coordinating ourselves. Many of my friends
have stopped coming because it is only the party goers that come here now and have made this
into clubbing.”

This presents a problem for the protests as the growing concerns from within their ranks is
becoming evident and sooner than later, the interest will stay to wane as moral and financial
support will only see images of party revellers.
With the 5 point plan already accepted by the Nigeria Police Force which represents a landmark
in the first step for wider social reforms, timing is most crucial to transport what has widely
been seen as a major victory into lasting progressive action through dialogue and this can only
be achieved after the protests, which started as calls for real change stop being transformed
into wild session of youthful indulgence in wild parties and debauchery.
https://www.legit.ng/1374751-endsars-protests-advocating-progressive-reforms-carnivals-by-jeremiah-bassey.html

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by protests: 11:00am On Oct 17, 2020
Dear Poet,

Thank you for your interest in #EndSARS. However here are some clarifications

1. They have been corrected where there were excesses
2. The story is not totally true, it wasn't as if they went totally haywire
3. We must understand the intense pressure which accompanies an occupation-protest. These ones are practically living there.
4. We should know that whatever obtains in the society will likely obtain there as we are people from different points of the society
5. Those same guys being pointed are the foundation the first ever historical candlelight in remembrance of our compatriots who lost their lives to police brutality.
6. Despite the various complaints by people, morale is high, discipline is high, order is high. That is what matters and that excesses have been addressed.

Nobody planned this in advance, and so far things have gone well.
Let nobody make mistake. #EndSARS Lekki Freedom Gate occupation protesters are right on track.

Thank you for your interest in #EndSARS

Yours in the struggle
#EndSARS 767677.

267 Likes 17 Shares

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Zakzakky82(m): 11:27am On Oct 17, 2020
We must not lose focus at the moment! We just just have to keep pushing. The party guys have been told to stop and donations are srill coming in, from my observation on Social media. Its just a matter of time before we see the chage we've been clamouring for.

15 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Onlinealaba(m): 11:32am On Oct 17, 2020
One word #endsars
Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Dario1: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2020
Smh
Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by LibertyRep: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2020
It's not in the place of anyone's who hasn't or perhaps wouldn't join the protest to castigate the protesters.

The 'Carnival' is part of those things that keep the morale high.

That's better than going violent.

110 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Alexis11: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2020
We should be careful not to turn the whole thing to carnivals and parties.

Guys no go lose focus oh

#ENDSARS
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY
#REFORMPOLICE
#REFORMNIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Authoreety: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2020
Lolszs
Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by mbahdi(m): 11:33am On Oct 17, 2020
We are done with endsars
Its now end political sars fat salaries
Senators
And
Reps
Salary.

23 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Moferere: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2020
Keep your jagajaga cut & join write up.
#EndSARS #EndSarsNow, Buhari has messed up with the wrong generation

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Righteousness89(m): 11:33am On Oct 17, 2020
My Admonishment is that for us to attain Victory, there is Need for the Majority of People to be Focused. I say Majority because there will definitely be some Persons who are out to Cause Distractions..

The Organization Committee so Far has been Wonderful. They have been Silently Ensuring things are going Smoothly..

The France Team of Endsars, Chipped in Something I think the Nigerian Team should take advantage of. I heard them talk about " EndHighCostofGovernance. There is Need for a Round table talk on the Salary and Remuneration of our Law Makers..

The No Leadership Movement has proved to be Excellent! As there is no Shepherd to Strike for the Sheep to Scatter..

Whatever we do should be Guarded by Morality and Fear for GOD. We are a Nation that Fear irrespective of Religion and all that.

Do not allow Sons and Daughters of Belai to infiltrate this noble cause. There is no Room for Homosexuality/ Lgbt cause. Let's Fear God so we don't spoil and Destroy this Noble Protest.

Lastly and Most Important! We are in the Very Endtimes!
Do not be Carried away by Events and ignore the Preparation of your Soul..
HARPAZO is upon us..
The RAPTURE is upon Us..
Don't be a Careless Soul..
Be Reconciled to GOD through JESUS!
Because No Matter what we do Here on ERth!
If you Miss Heaven! You Have Wasted your Life!

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Etinosa1234: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2020
All over Nigeria, the protest still remains the way it is, but it's the one in lekki that will stop the govt from doing the reforms...

Well those excesses has been curbed and the govt most accept our demands

8 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Brodello: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2020
M
Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by GIANTPLUSHUB: 11:34am On Oct 17, 2020
Only the older ones can protest in a sobbing mood naaw. We are youths, we should expect protest in a lively mood. Afterall, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. We are youths and little gyrations in protests makes it LIVELY YOUTHS. #NoDullProtest

GIANTPLUSHUB ENT.

2 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Nobody: 11:34am On Oct 17, 2020
#EndSARS
#EndSWAT
It's all part of the protest
Let's not lose our focus
Let's not distract ourselves

6 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by virginboy1(m): 11:34am On Oct 17, 2020
Oga OP. All this epistles are just unnecessary grammars. Soro Soke' undecided

Speak for yourself, if you have lost forsight for the protest.
We the youths have not.
We Groove, We Mood , We Move.
With fight with our Voice .
For the records, this is one of the most Organized protest in the universe.

Even Aliens will be marvelled with the way Nigeria Youths tend to manage it and stay gallant .

Watch how other countries will emulate us. cheesy

14 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by RareDiamond: 11:34am On Oct 17, 2020
The end sars and end police brutality protest started in Lagos by Runtown supported by Falz has very important aims and not for party but all work and no play will affect the moral of protesters.

#End SARS
#End police brutality and senseless check points
#Constitutional Reforms
#Restructure Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by SARSUPDATE: 11:35am On Oct 17, 2020
What is dis one saying. Who get time to read rubbish.

4 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by TheWalkingMind: 11:35am On Oct 17, 2020
You would be surprised the OP hasn't hold a #EndSARS placard for once.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by SnOOpERr: 11:35am On Oct 17, 2020
I tire o
Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by fastseo: 11:35am On Oct 17, 2020
The Government will use media Houses this time since paid thug failed

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by akure1stson: 11:35am On Oct 17, 2020
never lose focus
Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by pretydiva(f): 11:36am On Oct 17, 2020
End police brutality
Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Princedapace(m): 11:36am On Oct 17, 2020
Want to learn learn a skill, work and earn online as a freelancer? Check my profile and read my article on this topic.
Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Miyachi: 11:36am On Oct 17, 2020
Better to remain quiet and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts.

This is such shameful journalism, I wouldn't be surprised if this dimwitted halfwit has never been near any of the protests so far.

Of a truth, I couldn't care less about the #endsars protests - I've never been accosted or molested by the police. But after reading about the extrajudicial murders of inumerous citizens and the injustice that has been perpetrated by the police I was numb for a very long time - I lost the ability to do anything. It became personal, it could just as well have been me or any of my loved ones. I now understood what these people felt and their reasons for protesting. The government can't just appease with empty promises.

Until there are indictments and all the people complicit in these crimes are brought to book, I don't think there'll be peace.

For those that go to the protests for frivolities- how is that the people's problem? The people have a genuine cause and I don't think it can be tainted by mere perceptions.

The earlier the demands are honestly met the sooner you get the parties of the street.

12 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by Celebsnews2: 11:36am On Oct 17, 2020
Okay

Meanwhile, Watch the touching story of CSP JAMES NWAFOR of Awkuzu Sars and 20 Years old Chijioke Iloanya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6dQ1op6xhU

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:37am On Oct 17, 2020
Righteousness89:
My
Even you born again Christian has turned to space booker. Guess you see nothing wrong with that too.

3 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Advocating For Progressive Reforms Or Carnivals For Party Revellers? by omoadeleye(m): 11:37am On Oct 17, 2020
uu

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BBC Documentary On Cultism A Political Move Ahead Of 2023 Elections - Adebowale / FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy / I Did Not Write Any Letter To The President's Chief Of Staff - Akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.