Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,765 members, 7,820,672 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] (673 Views)

Tower Of Babel, An Insight Into Space Exploration And Architectural Revolution / Why Most Christians Don't Have The Capacity To Perform Miracles / Born Again: Many Christians can not answer "YES" to this question. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by thesilentman(m): 11:04am On Oct 17, 2020
I have questioned a dozen pastors on why God scattered the language of those men who wanted to build a tower that would reach Heaven then.Was God afraid of the people he created with his own hands?I Wondered.Was He a human then that he should be afraid of men that he created?
These pastors all told me that God was actually afraid the people would achieve their aim if he did not use the language barrier.
Can you christians defend God on this issue because i think that it is highly risible for a whole God to be afraid.Happy Weekend!

Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 17, 2020
He regretted creating humans cos our wickedness no be here
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by thesilentman(m): 11:12am On Oct 17, 2020
southniyikaye:
He regretted creating humans cos our wickedness no be here
Regret?You see why i don't agree with this 'God' thing.The dude is overrated,afterall.
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by MickzyDonald: 11:13am On Oct 17, 2020
Tower..........of...........Ba...be....l
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by Nobody: 11:18am On Oct 17, 2020
thesilentman:

Regret?You see why i don't agree with this 'God' thing.The dude is overrated,afterall.
oga, carry your blasphemy kettle far away from me abeg

1 Like

Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by thesilentman(m): 11:22am On Oct 17, 2020
southniyikaye:
oga, carry your blasphemy kettle far away from me abeg
Defend or Shut Up!
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by Ihedinobi3: 11:23am On Oct 17, 2020

1 Like

Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 17, 2020
thesilentman:

Defend or Shut Up!
defend who? God?
You must be very sick in the head...
Can you even defend your existence or how you came to be?
Can you tell us how the air you breathe is manufactured or produced cos we have people who breathe with oxygen..
Can you tell us how you were able to increase in size? I want to know the science or technology behind it..
Tell me the science behind puberty
Tell me the science behind physical appearance cos one eye, one ear, one nostril, mouth without tongue should be OK.
If you can tell me all these then I will defend..
You must be crazily stupid for telling me to shut up.

3 Likes

Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by Ihedinobi3: 11:49am On Oct 17, 2020
thesilentman:
I have questioned a dozen pastors on why God scattered the language of those men who wanted to build a tower that would reach Heaven then.Was God afraid of the people he created with his own hands?I Wondered.Was He a human then that he should be afraid of men that he created?
These pastors all told me that God was actually afraid the people would achieve their aim if he did not use the language barrier.
Can you christians defend God on this issue because i think that it is highly risible for a whole God to be afraid.Happy Weekend!

Hi there.

I see that you're an atheist, so I don't suppose that my answer will make much of a difference with you, but I'll offer it for what good it might do.

This is the passage in question:

1 Now the whole earth had one language and one speech. 2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar, and they dwelt there. 3 Then they said to one another, “Come, let us make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They had brick for stone, and they had asphalt for mortar. 4 And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.” 5 But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. 6 And the LORD said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them. 7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.” 8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city. 9 Therefore its name is called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth; and from there the LORD scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth.
Genesis 11:1-11 (NKJV)

First, this is shortly after the Flood, about a century after the Flood, in fact. So, the incident of the Flood was not so long before that people would have forgotten the power of God and His antagonistic stance toward rebellion against Him. But the Flood was a very rebellious action.

As you can see from the quote, the human family, possibly numbering in the millions by this time, aspired to a culturally monolithic community that would essentially subvert human free will. That is what it means to say,

"...let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth."

Everyone would have been forced to fit a status quo that would be decided by some central government. Imagine the communist nations of the 20th century and you would be close to what we are speaking of. It would have eventually been a deadly place for dissidents.

The city was essentially a political unit. The ziggurat or tower, on the other hand, was a religious symbol. So, the idea was to build a global community with one religion and one political ideal or set of ideals. Dissidence would not have been tolerated.

From God's perspective, such a thing would be dangerous for any human being who chose to seek after Him, since the tower was not by any means a way of worshipping Him. God's Way of seeking Him was clear from Adam to Noah. It didn't involve a tower, and it was not supposed to be forced on anyone. So, the safety of true worshippers was at stake at this time of which we speak.

For this reason, the Lord decided to take a drastic action to save the lives of those who would choose to follow Him rather than the various gods that fascinated these builders.

Now, God had no fears at all. God is incapable of either fear or regret. He is not susceptible to such things. But we really don't exist on God's Plane of reality, so in order for us to be able to appreciate some things about Him, the Lord uses words and experiences that are familiar to us to communicate to us in the Bible. In theology, these descriptions are called anthropopathisms.

So, although it may sound like God was surprised by what these builders were doing and although it may seem like He felt threatened by it, He was neither at all. He only demonstrated through those words and actions that He is always watching events in the world in order to protect His Own people and preserve their opportunity to make their choices for Him. As we grow spiritually, we get to appreciate more and more that even the actions of those who hate God are actually written into God's Plan before even these rebels have conceived them in their heart. But we can start with an appreciation of the fact that He is watching everything unfolding in history with an eye toward protecting those who love Him.

So, the Lord stepped in to create the nations out of this monolithic people in order to provide a means of preserving moral dissidence in the world. Believers in God can flee from one nation to another if the former begins to persecute them for refusing to give up their faith in God and join whatever madness the nation has given itself up to. This is what eventually happened with Abraham who was born a little under two centuries after this Babel incident. Abraham eventually had to leave his kindred in order to live life the way that God wanted him to. Because nations existed at this time, he could leave the area around Aram in the North to move to Canaan eventually. This mobility is critical to spiritual freedom. Without it, believers in God would not survive in this world.

Once the Lord stepped in and created the nations, it is true that the sinful nature of human beings capitalized on that to create the competitiveness that exists between nations, but it also guaranteed safety for the children of God throughout all the generations that have existed on earth.

During the Tribulation that is not too far off now, it is true that this freedom will be greatly reduced when all the nations of the world will bow to the Antichrist and pretty much become hostile to Christians everywhere, but even then, Christians will be able to flee from, for example, Israel (in the case of believing Jews) when the Antichrist takes over there and commences the global persecution of Christians and Jews, and Babylon (in the case of believing Gentiles) when that nation is about to be destroyed by the Antichrist.

Without the existence of nations, we simply don't know how faith in God would have survived on earth. It is not impossible for God to have created a different way of delivering believers, but this is the way that He created, and it has worked fabulously for four millennia now.
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by Ejike07: 11:58am On Oct 17, 2020
One thing you should know is that you cannot go against the will of the almighty. Remember in the chapter in Genesis where He said " increase, multiply and fill the earth. But being what man who he always is, filled with the mind to do things that are avenues to his downfall. Now calculate the distance between the earth and the moon and how long it will take to build something that will be so high to reach God. We all know God is in heaven but is it the heaven that humans can reach? Remember where it was also said that the heart of man is desperately wicked. The project itself is born out of selfish and unfounded desires capable of not being able to achieve anything but mischief. Now, Even with recent technology can we erect a building capable of reaching where God is. Mars as a planet have given NASA sleepless nights and they are no where the reaches of our "milky way". I will conclude that God saw the neve-say-die will of man's ability but their intentions were impossible, stupid as well as completely against His creative purpose for man. Let's see this categorically the way free thinkers may try to make mockery of the Bible. The word of God is real, far more than you think. Am not defending God almighty nor His work (sorry, no one can defend God) but for everyone here to understand the context of His Word
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by thesilentman(m): 12:16pm On Oct 17, 2020
Ejike07:
One thing you should know is that you cannot go against the will of the almighty. Remember in the chapter in Genesis where He said " increase, multiply and fill the earth. But being what man who he always is, filled with the mind to do things that are avenues to his downfall. Now calculate the distance between the earth and the moon and how long it will take to build something that will be so high to reach God. We all know God is in heaven but is it the heaven that humans can reach? Remember where it was also said that the heart of man is desperately wicked. The project itself is born out of selfish and unfounded desires capable of not being able to achieve anything but mischief. Now, Even with recent technology can we erect a building capable of reaching where God is. Mars as a planet have given NASA sleepless nights and they are no where the reaches of our "milky way". I will conclude that God saw the neve-say-die will of man's ability but their intentions were impossible, stupid as well as completely against His creative purpose for man. Let's see this categorically the way free thinkers may try to make mockery of the Bible. The word of God is real, far more than you think. Am not defending God almighty nor His work (sorry, no one can defend God) but for everyone here to understand the context of His Word
Read well again,God actually said it was possible.Don't twist his words.
Thanks!
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by thesilentman(m): 12:21pm On Oct 17, 2020
southniyikaye:
defend who? God?
Can you tell us how the air you breathe is manufactured or produced cos we have people who breathe with oxygen..
Can you tell us how you were able to increase in size? I want to know the science or technology behind it..
Tell me the science behind physical appearance cos one eye, one ear, one nostril, mouth without tongue should be OK.
Stop arguing based on emotion,argue reasonably.Thanks.
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 17, 2020
thesilentman:

Stop arguing based on emotion,argue reasonably.Thanks.
I still reiterate, if you can't answer those questions, you are a big fool.... The questions I asked, are they based on emotion? They are things felt and seen, emotions can't be seen.
It's high time you people make use of your Brian... It is too dormant for my liking and don't quote me if you have no answers to the questions asked, thank you
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by Dtruthspeaker: 12:57pm On Oct 17, 2020
thesilentman:

Oh foolish man (not insulting you but attempting to put to your eyes how foolish and evil you are) why dost thou lovest destruction?

Do you not know that the unholy can not come near The Lord, for they shall be destroyed like Dagon?

Tower of Babel is Another Example of The Great Goodness and Mercy of The Lord given to the children of men, in that, rather than destroy them, He Elected To Scatter Them with the Use of Language, so that they might live and NOT DIE!
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by Dtruthspeaker: 1:03pm On Oct 17, 2020
thesilentman:

That was just the wrong answer. But Man have Seriously Disappointed God. But we are also Thankful to Him that many have pleased Him Also, therefore, man has been allowed to live, even if momentarily.
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by MAHJOG(m): 7:43pm On Oct 17, 2020
southniyikaye:
defend who? God?
abeg more years to your years
Re: What Many Christians Don't Know About The Tower Of Babel [pic] by Kobojunkie: 5:05pm On Nov 02, 2020
thesilentman:
Defend God?

(1) (Reply)

Pastors Sacked By Winners’ Chapel ‘unfruitful, Blatant Failure,’ Says Oyedepo / Chai, Why Did I Marry This Girl! / Sex Ring From A Babalawo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.