Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. (1746 Views)

My Mercedes-benz GL550 08 Not Starting When The Engine Get Hot. / Faded Plate Number An Offense? / What Are The Advantages Of Getting A Lagos Registered Vehicle Plate Number? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by fanaticf: 9:34am On Oct 18, 2020
Hello guys, i just bought this MERCEDES BENZ just last week from a banker that is relocating from Lagos. The car is still very clean and come with an Abuja Plate Number. We concluded the whole Transaction without issues. All documents have been changed to my name and he never talked about the plate number. Just last night, he called me that he has bought a new car and he would need the plate number and i should please help him waybill it to Port Harcourt where he now resides. I haven't really given him a final reply, i told him i will get back to him. My question now is, does he have the right to collect the plate number after concluding the sales of the car without him mentioning it? Am i to actually register another plate number to this car? I'm asking cos i have never bought a Nigeria used car before. My Toyota Camry that i was using before was bought as a Tokumbo and i registered everything myself. Forgive my ignorance and educate me on this issue as a novice so i can know the next step to take. Below is the picture of the car with the plate number on it. Thank you

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by Kelvin30286063(m): 9:45am On Oct 18, 2020
fanaticf:
Hello guys, i just bought this MERCEDES BENZ just last week from a banker that is relocating from Lagos. The car is still very clean and come with an Abuja Plate Number. We concluded the whole Transaction without issues. All documents have been changed to my name and he never talked about the plate number. Just last night, he called me that he has bought a new car and he would need the plate number and i should please help him waybill it to Port Harcourt where he now resides. I haven't really given him a final reply, i told him i will get back to him. My question now is, does he have the right to collect the plate number after concluding the sales of the car without him mentioning it? Am i to actually register another plate number to this car? I'm asking cos i have never bought a Nigeria used car before. My Toyota Camry that i was using before was bought as a Tokumbo and i registered everything myself. Forgive my ignorance and educate me on this issue as a novice so i can know the next step to take. Below is the picture of the car with the plate number on it. Thank you
Do not give him the license plates. Don't!
The reason why he's asking for the license plate is because the new car he just bought didn't come with one and he is looking at the option of taking back his old license plate that way he won't have to pay the exorbitant fee for applying for a new license plate but you will pay it when you do.
Moreover, your current license plate is registered to your car if you check it on frsc system so why will you want to give it away? You obviously cannot register a car that is already registered unless you go through the back door. Why will you want to commit a crime for this person? Is he worth it?
Tell him to register a new license plate and he should not push the debt on you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by damidre: 9:50am On Oct 18, 2020
The license plate would have been registered in his name and to the current car. He would need to pay almost 50k to transfer it to another car while you would need about 42k to register afresh. He might not be aware of this, so you both need to have the discussion. Is there anything special about the number plate that would make him prefer to incur a higher amount? It goes beyond just detaching the number plate, there is a process that updates the records which takes about 3 weeks and costs as high as 50k.

1 Like

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by nurey(m): 9:52am On Oct 18, 2020
fanaticf:

send the plate number to him, the registration is in his name not yours and they belong to him.

He would give you a document to effect change of ownership of the vehicle to your name and along the line you will be given a new plate number with necessary documents to back up the change of ownership

7 Likes

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by TPound(m): 9:55am On Oct 18, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

The reason why he's asking for the license plate is because the new car he just bought didn't come with one and he is looking at the option of taking back his old license plate that way he won't have to pay the exorbitant fee for applying for a new license plate but you will pay it when you do.
Moreover, your current license plate is registered to your car if you check it on frsc system so why will you want to give it away? You obviously cannot register a car that is already registered unless you go through the back door. Why will you want to commit a crime for this person? Is he worth it?
Tell him to register a new license plate and he should not push the debt on you.

You're wrong sir!

The number plate is his property as the name on the number plate title cannot be transferred,he can use that number plate on as many cars as he can buy.

Please return it to him and register it in your name for easy transaction in case you want to sell it in future.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by Kelvin30286063(m): 10:05am On Oct 18, 2020
TPound:

You're wrong sir!

The number plate is his property as the name on the number plate title cannot be transferred,he can use that number plate on as many cars as he can buy.

Please return it to him and register it in your name for easy transaction in case you want to sell it in future.

I didn't say the number plate is not in his name. That is normal. You won't register a number plate in another person's name but the number plate carries the record of the purchased car (The benz) and the new other of the benz can easily change the name attached to the number plate. He won't pay as much as he will pay if he is applying for a new one. So what are you talking about? He sold the car with the number plate. He should have removed it before putting it up for sale.
The new other bought his car with the number plate. All he has to do is apply for change of name and pay about 5 or 10k to change it. But if he returns the number plate. He will have to apply for a new one at 50 to 60k!
That makes no sense
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by DelTel(m): 10:15am On Oct 18, 2020
fanaticf:

Are you sure all the vehicle documents changed to your name? Please be aware a vehicle registration number is tied to the name of the original owner and not changeable.

The seller should not have even given you all the vehicle documents in the first instance, a buyer is only entitled to few documents so he/she can go get a completely new number and papers for the car while the seller keeps and continue to use the old plates on any vehicle he gets later in his name.

I believe whomever did the so-called change of vehicle documents to your name must have either deceived you or committed an illegality to get it done, if its even done!

Please return the plates (proof of ownership and allocation of number plate) to the owner.

1 Like

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by fanaticf: 10:18am On Oct 18, 2020
DelTel:

Are you sure all the vehicle documents changed to your name? Please be aware a vehicle registration number is tied to the name of the original owner and not changeable.

The seller should not have even given you all the vehicle documents in the first instance, a buyer is only entitled to few documents so he/she can go get a completely new number and papers for the car while the seller keeps and continue to use the old plates on any vehicle he gets later in his name.

I believe whomever did the so-called change of vehicle documents to your name must have either deceived you or committed an illegality to get it done, if its even done!

Please return the plates (proof of ownership and allocation of number plate) to the owner.

Thank you for your clarification, that means i will have to return the plate number to him and get another one for the car.
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by mejai(m): 10:18am On Oct 18, 2020
Cc: Pattybf and owolabi5
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by chukel(m): 10:26am On Oct 18, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

ignorance at it's peak. Desist from giving advice on issues you are not conversant with.

4 Likes

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by fanaticf: 10:36am On Oct 18, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

I can say if the reason for him asking for the plate is to use for his new car but i need to be sure me not giving him back won't cause any issue to the car, if not, i don't have a problem getting another plate if it's permissable.
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by DelTel(m): 10:36am On Oct 18, 2020
fanaticf:

Thank you for your clarification, that means i will have to return the plate number to him and get another one for the car.

Yes pls, it will safeguard you against any issues later over the car ownership (as I strongly believe the seller's name is still in the database as owner of number plate and the vehicle).
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by fanaticf: 10:37am On Oct 18, 2020
damidre:
The license plate would have been registered in his name and to the current car. He would need to pay almost 50k to transfer it to another car while you would need about 42k to register afresh. He might not be aware of this, so you both need to have the discussion. Is there anything special about the number plate that would make him prefer to incur a higher amount? It goes beyond just detaching the number plate, there is a process that updates the records which takes about 3 weeks and costs as high as 50k.

I don't think there is anything special about the license plate, non that I'm aware of though. But we are still discussing about the issue, i haven't concluded yet. Thanks
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by fanaticf: 10:38am On Oct 18, 2020
TPound:

You're wrong sir!

Thanks for your suggestion.
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:39am On Oct 18, 2020
Don't be ridiculous, the plates are not yours. If he asks for them, send them to him. I'm not sure even sure how you could have supposedly done all the documents anew in your own name, and still have the guy's number plates?
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by DelTel(m): 10:40am On Oct 18, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Actually it is just about N5,000 difference registering a vehicle afresh and Naija-used, due mainly to Proof/Change of Ownership document.
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by DelTel(m): 10:45am On Oct 18, 2020
damidre:

You mixed it up actually; a new buyer pays more as a new Proof of Ownership document will be issued in the new owners name (like the vehicle is new to the database but referenced to old details).

While the seller pays less, say N5000, since he already has a Proof of Ownership document which will only be endorsed at the back (whenever he gets a new vehicle he wants to change to).
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by naijadrivablog: 11:55am On Oct 18, 2020
Bhet why? If you have changed the documents to your name , don't give him the number plates.
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:36pm On Oct 18, 2020
chukel:
ignorance at it's peak. Desist from giving advice on issues you are not conversant with.
Why don't you enlighten me. What's ignorant in what I said.
*that thr number plate is registered to the Benz
*that the ex owner is trying to avoid registering a new number since he has one in the car he already sold.
*that if he gives him the number, he will have to pay about 50k to get another.
Explain to me which of the above is not fact!

I have been in this situation before. I had to pay 10k to the dealer just to get the number and I paid 35k to cha ge it to my name. That's 45k. Getting a new number afresh is 55 to 60k. All that is fact. I'm not stupid so stop being stupid.
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by olasehinde35130: 1:02pm On Oct 18, 2020
Cc: Pattybf and owolabi5
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by TPound(m): 1:33pm On Oct 18, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

I didn't say the number plate is not in his name. That is normal. You won't register a number plate in another person's name but the number plate carries the record of the purchased car (The benz) and the new other of the benz can easily change the name attached to the number plate. He won't pay as much as he will pay if he is applying for a new one. So what are you talking about? He sold the car with the number plate. He should have removed it before putting it up for sale.
The new other bought his car with the number plate. All he has to do is apply for change of name and pay about 5 or 10k to change it. But if he returns the number plate. He will have to apply for a new one at 50 to 60k!
That makes no sense

And what if the new owner decides to sell it in future and a prospective buyer is seeing a different name from the account details sent to him... It dampens sales and makes it suspicious...

Also it is advisable to always retrieve number plates because should in case the new owner decides to commit with the car and escapes leaving the car or the number plate as evidence,the former owner will be the first point of call because his name is on the number plate title.

1 Like

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by asamwababy: 2:49pm On Oct 18, 2020
DelTel:

Not true

Change of ownership procedure in Abuja is totally different from that of Lagos.

If the owner was not selling with plates,he should have told him not after then you now come asking for plate nunber when he has confirmed the cost of a new plate.

1 Like

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by asamwababy: 2:53pm On Oct 18, 2020
DelTel:

Yes pls, it will safeguard you against any issues later over the car ownership (as I strongly believe the seller's name is still in the database as owner of number plate and the vehicle).

You people just like giving advice on issues you have not dealt with before.

Its Abuja plate and not Lagos.

Am sure OP has a change of ownership certificate issued by the NPF evidencing the new owner and old owner.

1 Like

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by DelTel(m): 3:13pm On Oct 18, 2020
asamwababy:

Not true

Change of ownership procedure in Abuja is totally different from that of Lagos.

If the owner was not selling with plates,he should have told him not after then you now come asking for plate nunber when he has confirmed the cost of a new plate.

asamwababy:

Am sure OP has a change of ownership certificate issued by the NPF evidencing the new owner and old owner.

Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) like the name implies is a federal body for the whole Nigeria (not Lagos or Abuja or anywhere alone).

The commission and the JTB (Joint Tax Board) comprising of all states in Nigeria agreed to the change of plate number to the one we using now few years ago, jointly informed the public that plate number are tied to owners not the vehicle.

Get proper guidance from security and law enforcement officials - FRSC and State Tax Board.
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by Eddee(m): 3:42pm On Oct 18, 2020
damidre:

Wrong, I moved plates from my old car (A benz) to another this year. Paid 18k in total (inclusive of everything). Okay, I had to add "small thing" later to collect proof of ownership because of delays due to COVID-19. The plates belong to the former owner, let them settle amicably.

N.B: paid 40k for new Abuja plates for the same Benz

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by Kelvin30286063(m): 6:11pm On Oct 18, 2020
TPound:

And what if the new owner decides to sell it in future and a prospective buyer is seeing a different name from the account details sent to him... It dampens sales and makes it suspicious...

Also it is advisable to always retrieve number plates because should in case the new owner decides to commit with the car and escapes leaving the car or the number plate as evidence,the former owner will be the first point of call because his name is on the number plate title.
You can change the details on a number plate. It's part of the change of ownership process.
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by damidre: 6:38pm On Oct 18, 2020
Eddee:

Wrong, I moved plates from my old car (A benz) to another this year. Paid 18k in total (inclusive of everything). Okay, I had to add "small thing" later to collect proof of ownership because of delays due to COVID-19. The plates belong to the former owner, let them settle amicably.

N.B: paid 40k for new Abuja plates for the same Benz

Really, I almost got shafted then because by the time I was given a quote for one I wanted to do recently, I just had to opt for a fresh registration. In hindsight, maybe that was the reason behind billing me that high; for me to pay more.
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by chukel(m): 6:49pm On Oct 18, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Why don't you enlighten me. What's ignorant in what I said.
*that thr number plate is registered to the Benz
*that the ex owner is trying to avoid registering a new number since he has one in the car he already sold.
*that if he gives him the number, he will have to pay about 50k to get another.
Explain to me which of the above is not fact!

I have been in this situation before. I had to pay 10k to the dealer just to get the number and I paid 35k to cha ge it to my name. That's 45k. Getting a new number afresh is 55 to 60k. All that is fact. I'm not stupid so stop being stupid.
i moved plate number from my former camry to my avalon for just 15k as far back as 2014. New abuja plate number for sedan is 37k. How you guys get wrong info is what i don't understand. There is nothing like former owner trying to avoid registering a new number. The law says the plate number belongs to him. What are you still arguing. You people always want to do things wrong in this country and get away with it. You even brag about it and wrongly advise people. The law is the law. Stop being sentimental.

5 Likes

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by Ochiske(m): 7:39pm On Oct 18, 2020
fanaticf:

Please kindly ignore anyone advising you to keep his plate numbers.

1. The Vehicle plates belongs to him (seller). It is tied to his name. If you buy a Nigerian used car, all you basically need is the car’s custom papers and change of Ownership. He didn’t have to give you all his papers.

2. All Plate numbers now, according to the Law are unique and tied to the original owner. You can walk into any FRSC, VIO & Police office to request for this information.
If you buy a Nigerian used car from Someone in Abuja and you reside In Lagos, you don’t know what crime(s) the person have committed with his car. If his plates were noted down, and later found on you, you’ll take the fall for whatever crime he committed.

4 Likes

Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by TPound(m): 1:10am On Oct 19, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

You can change the details on a number plate. It's part of the change of ownership process.

What you can change is details of vehicle,not the owner's name
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by 9icetoo(m): 12:34pm On Oct 19, 2020
asamwababy:

NPF does not issue change of ownership.
Re: MY MERCEDES BENZ PLATE NUMBER ISSUE. by diportivo: 1:46pm On Oct 19, 2020
ignorance everywhere on this thread shocked

see someone that's so sure plates owner doesnt have money to register a car he just bought.....asper account officer wey sabi wetin dey the guy account undecided

if u like,register the car in bauchi like me.....the number belongs to whoever registers it to a car first,and can be moved to whatever car the person buys later on

legally,u cannot change the name on a number plates on the system.....some people do it,but the day e go cast ehn,ur #endCID banner go long pass 3mb because of wetin police go use ur eye see

u can buy a car from someone and use the plates,but,u will need police report and change of ownership....subsequent renewals on the plates will still carry the initial name and not urs

bottom line,if u want to buy a naija used car with the new number series,have it in mind that u will reregister it....to save urself unnecessary embarrassment

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

...........................Rx350 Ac Compressor............. / Nigeria Used Nissan Quest 2000 For Sale. N350,000 / Hello Car Gurus. Check In Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.