Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: (4768 Views)

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. / Girls Who Cohabited In The University Do Not Deserve Bride Price!!! / Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by IfeLuvely: 2:18pm On Mar 08, 2011
Me n my boyfriend have been discussing about getting married for a while now, his parents are ready and I think he is ready too, (but my paresnts are definitely not) sad and each time we talk about gettin married, he tells me he has never done it before, so if i can use style to ask my father about bride price he would appreciate it, in Nigeria culture, am i allowed to ask?
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by ifyalways(f): 2:26pm On Mar 08, 2011
IfeLuvely:

Me n my boyfriend have been discussing about getting married for a while now, his parents are ready and I think he is ready too, (but my paresnts are definitely not) sad and each time we talk about gettin married, he tells me he has never done it before, so if i can use style to ask my father about bride price he would appreciate it, in Nigeria culture, am i allowed to ask?
What do u mean by your parents are not ready?You think they wont consent to ur marriage,why?
There is no way of using style to go abt it . . .go directly to your mum and tell her that u are thinking of marriage and u and your guy wants to have a look at the trad. rites demands.simples
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 08, 2011
Yes you can ask him why not,and you can also decide your brideprice yourself.
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by fstranger3(m): 2:31pm On Mar 08, 2011
uplawal:

Yes you can ask him why not,and you can also decide your brideprice yourself.

Are you for real?

The parents paid her school fees and upkeep from conception to whatever she is now.

In Alaigbo, paying dowry is like selling the girl, they have to make maximum ROI on her.

The father decides!
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 08, 2011
Thats my own input and my religion, the father does not have to decide the price,you can decide what you want yourself,and this does not mean the daughter dnt appreciate the dad,the groom to be cannot be responsible for any stupid caculation cos of marriage to their daughter,its every parents respoonsibility to care for their children to any level.

How much would the guy pay to equal what the parents have suffered on the bride to be?,no amount at all.
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 08, 2011
@fstranger3,and who are the Alaigbo?
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by fstranger3(m): 2:42pm On Mar 08, 2011
Alaigbo = Igboland

The OP is Igbo

Yoruba and Hausa dont do that shyyt
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Nobody: 2:56pm On Mar 08, 2011
Ok,then they have to do that according to thier custom
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Blueice4re(f): 3:29pm On Mar 08, 2011
@Poster, go to ur mum and tell her ur plans. you don't hav to ask ur dad.
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by IfeLuvely: 4:26pm On Mar 08, 2011
ifyalways:

What do u mean by your parents are not ready?You think they wont consent to your marriage,why?
There is no way of using style to go abt it . . .go directly to your mum and tell her that u are thinking of marriage and u and your guy wants to have a look at the trad. rites demands.simples

They want me to get a MSc before getting married, and also want me to wait for my sister who is 5yrs older to get married before i get married, sad
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by IfeLuvely: 4:28pm On Mar 08, 2011
Blueice4re:

@Poster, go to your mum and tell her your plans. you don't hav to ask your dad.

Mummy wouldn't even hear of it, she shys away from the question everytime i bring it up!
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by ifyalways(f): 10:18pm On Mar 08, 2011
IfeLuvely:

They want me to get a MSc before getting married, and also want me to wait for my sister who is 5yrs older to get married before i get married, sad
ewo!
How old are u?
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Nobody: 11:23pm On Mar 08, 2011
Ibo people don't play with their bride price ooo. Those peeps really get in there (your wallet)cheesy
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by fstranger3(m): 11:33pm On Mar 08, 2011
^^^

If you are not careful, dem fit steal your wallet sef.

Bloody shameless moraforkers
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by TewMuch: 11:48pm On Mar 08, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^

If you are not careful, dem fit steal your wallet sef.

Bloody shameless moraforkers

It is always your type whose children will bring all Igbo spouse's home to meet you. Karma is a b*itch, just dont have a heart attack. And please post the event on NL so everyone can have a good laugh cheesy wink.
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by fstranger3(m): 11:52pm On Mar 08, 2011
TewMuch:

It is always your type whose children will bringĀ  all Igbo spouse's home to meet you. Karma is a b*itch, just dont have a heart attack. And please post the event on NL so everyone can have a good laugh cheesy wink.

I am like an Indian father, I'd kill my son/daughter if she dates an Ibo buffoon, let alone marry him/her. grin

You have no idea.
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Nobody: 11:55pm On Mar 08, 2011
Well they only believe in taking from the husband so you shouldn't have a problem if you have a daughter.

In fact, you get to enjoy their culture then as you use it as you please cheesy
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Sagamite(m): 12:13am On Mar 09, 2011
fstranger3:

I am like an Indian father, I'd kill my son/daughter if she dates an Ibo buffoon, let alone marry him/her. grin

You have no idea.

Typical rants of an uneducated hoodrat lowlife.
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by fstranger3(m): 12:23am On Mar 09, 2011
Someone is really hurting! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Stalker stalker for world
AMEN
Enjoy for Bristol
AMEN
SAGAmor0n go dey yab
" In Spiritum Mor0nus"
AMEN
Sagacretin go dey cry
"I flunked out of OAU"
AMEN

Open your head Sagababoon
Bristol na shyyty school
SEFAGO na your GOD grin
PhysicsMHD na your JESUS
FSTRANGER na your Holy ghost

Repeat that Chorus, SagaBaboon grin
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Sagamite(m): 12:28am On Mar 09, 2011
fstranger3:

Someone is really hurting! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Stalker stalker for world
AMEN
Enjoy for Bristol
AMEN
SAGAmor0n go dey yab
" I am reetaded"
AMEN
Sagacretin go dey cry
"I flunked out from OAU"
AMEN

Open your head Sagababoon
Bristol na shyyty school
SEFAGO na your GOD grin
PhysicsMHD na your JESUS
FSTRANGER na your Holy ghost

Repeat that Chorus, SagaBaboon grin

Moooron, are you attemting funny? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Lack of originality. You imitate my style badly. grin grin grin grin grin

Stop trying to be like your God. Just Worship, omugor. grin
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by timscooner: 7:19am On Mar 09, 2011
Yes you can ask him,you can discuss about the bride price.All the best for you.

How to win back your ex wife
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by IfeLuvely: 1:06pm On Mar 09, 2011
ifyalways:

ewo!
How old are u?

I am 23 oo, i s'pose thats too young, but in the long run honestly it saves money to be married in this country, cos we are paying 2 rents, n 2 seperate bills,
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Omolola1(f): 1:27pm On Mar 09, 2011
you can ask, nothing is wrong with it
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by johnjoel(m): 2:28pm On Mar 09, 2011
are sure your of age
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by cescky(m): 2:51pm On Mar 09, 2011
@ op

have u ever thot of the fact that they feel ur too young or experienced for you to get married

thereby covering up with msc plans?

may be they are just plain scared for u thats all
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by IfeLuvely: 2:59pm On Mar 09, 2011
johnjoel:

are sure your of age

The last time I checked my birth certificate it says I am 23 smiley
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by IfeLuvely: 3:02pm On Mar 09, 2011
cescky:

@ op

have u ever thot of the fact that they feel your too young or experienced for you to get married

thereby covering up with msc plans?

may be they are just plain scared for u thats all

Do u mean inexperience, if thats what you mean, is everyone thats never married before not inexperienced?
And too young? some of my friends are 21, 22 and they are married (although 2 got pregnant, so they had to get married )
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by armyofone(m): 3:05pm On Mar 09, 2011
girl, try get that MS your parents want you to get. if the man loves you, he will wait. also make sure he can pay the brideprice o

shine ya eyes bo yes now ask no be ya marriage?
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 09, 2011
As far as i know, its unbelievably rude to ask your father how much your brideprice is. What on earth is wrong with the youths of nowadays. So assuming he "jokingly" mentions a figure, are you going to just throw it at him or what, ki lo nse awon omode won yi ke? The extended family are the ones who determine the brideprice in consultation with the father. Gosh i tire for una. And who are these suitors asking dumb questions all over the place eg go and track down your father, etc. Since when do all these become the focus before marriage?
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by fstranger3(m): 3:27pm On Mar 09, 2011
^^^^

The OP is Ibo

For them, the bride price is the most important aspect of the marriage. I have witnessed two in the past. And Yes, the father sets the bride price. This is so different from the Yoruba culture. Why is it difficult to understand.
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Akawnwa: 4:13pm On Mar 09, 2011
@Poster it depends on which part of iboland u are from becos in some areas most time the kinsmen decides on the amount to be paid as bride price and ur dad might not have a say. let ur guy go ahead and ask ur parents for ur hand in marriage if both of u are ready to settle down.other things will follow e.g the list for marrying a wife WISH U LUCK! smiley
Re: Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: by Nobody: 4:14pm On Mar 09, 2011
@ fstranger

what the poster above me said.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ewedu induced family feud..any experience? / Financial and Health Benefits Of Pure Original Unadulterated Honey / List Of Top 5 Cleaning Companies In Nigeria #2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.