Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,543 members, 7,819,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? (3502 Views)

I Can’t Cope With His Big Manhood- Wife Tells Court / Bearded Ladies, How Do You Cope? / Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Liss: 6:36pm On Jan 03, 2010
I am just a few years close to thirty years old and my father still wants to control my every movement! For instance, I went to a different church than his and he locked me out for hours! saying since I didn't want to worship in the same church as his then I should move out or get married! Recently, I got home about 9.15pm from visiting a family member and he ranted and raved at me.

I am so tempted to actually move out and be by myself but society frowns on ladies living on their own. What or how can I make him realise that I am a grown woman and can actually call his bluff!

Please help cos I am suffocating here,
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by skfa1: 6:40pm On Jan 03, 2010
Maybe u should get married
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Tsiya(m): 6:47pm On Jan 03, 2010
wow. . .

You just have to patient with him. Why even go to different church with your parents? Isn't that an insult to them?

If you dont get married and move out, you will have to leave by the rules.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Liss: 6:56pm On Jan 03, 2010
skfa1:

Maybe u should get married

I can't get married sorely bcus I want to leave my father's house na. I am not ready to be married as I have not found who I would want to live the rest of my life with.
Tsiya:

wow. . .

You just have to patient with him. Why even go to different church with your parents? Isn't that an insult to them?

If you dont get married and move out, you will have to leave by the rules.

I have tried so hard to be patient but not succeeding. When I try to talk to him, he starts to shout and almost hit me a while back. I go to a different church bcus his church does not speak to me at all! My spirit does not get replenished, I just sit and mind is far away, I thot we are supposed to worship God in spirit and in truth, undecided
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Tsiya(m): 7:20pm On Jan 03, 2010
Personally I believe going to different church with your parent might be one of the problems. It shows an act of rebellion and you are indirectly insulting their faith. If you leave with your parents and have no plans to move out in near future, then you should learn to appreciate what they like and do, even if you find it repulsive. I know it can be really hard for a girl of your age, especially you don't have a job that you can rely on and the Mr Right have refuse to come on time. However, you shouldn't allow that to ruin the blessings of parental love. Everything they do, comes from love. Quite frankly, 9:15 is late, especially if you don't have a car of your own. And whatever you do, I know at your age you feel you are adult, but adulthood is not about age, is about responsibility. And if you remain under their responsibility, then you should just learn to be patient and say sorry to them any time he start raving. The word "sorry" can do a lot of things.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Liss: 7:30pm On Jan 03, 2010
Tsiya:

Personally I believe going to different church with your parent might be one of the problems. It shows an act of rebellion and you are indirectly insulting their faith. If you leave with your parents and have no plans to move out in near future, then you should learn to appreciate what they like and do, even if you find it repulsive. I know it can be really hard for a girl of your age, especially you don't have a job that you can rely on and the Mr Right have refuse to come on time. However, you shouldn't allow that to ruin the blessings of parental love. Everything they do, comes from love. Quite frankly, 9:15 is late, especially if you don't have a car of your own. And whatever you do, I know at your age you feel you are adult, but adulthood is not about age, is about responsibility. And if you remain under their responsibility, then you should just learn to be patient and say sorry to them any time he start raving. The word "sorry" can do a lot of things.

Insulting their faith? But their faith has nothing to do with mine! Can't I have a choice of how to serve God?

I do have plans of moving out but is that not an act of rebellion in itself? Living life as a single lady? I do have a job. Been working for over three years! I pay my dues as well, I just wish we could come to terms and understand each other instead of having to lie and sneak around behind his back! I wanted to buy a car but they refused saying how will I ever get a man if I have a car.

Frankly, It's bcus I want to honour them that's why I did not move out a long time ago but at this stage of my life I guess that might be my only option! I certainly refuse to get married cos I need my space!
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Tsiya(m): 7:56pm On Jan 03, 2010
All I said are hypothetical. You certainly know better. It is just sometimes when dealing with your parents you have to be patient. Everything they do or say is out of love. You just cannot come to term with it. Nigerian parents are dictatorial. That is just that. Untill the day you move out of their house, you have to learn to cope with silly rules.

I wish you well.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by coolier(f): 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2010
Where's your mum?
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Liss: 7:18am On Jan 04, 2010
My mum is alive and well. But she does not have a say in the house. My father rules in ALL areas!
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Sissy3(f): 8:21am On Jan 04, 2010
just find your own place and live your life. i see no reason for such treatment from your father, coming back by 9:15 isnt a coming back by 12am. you are no longer a teen or teenager that should be controlled and monitored and being close to 30, youre old enough to stop living with your parents and find your own place. and which society says a woman cant live on her own?

however, i do sort of understand the attending of  different church by the same members of a family in the house. so, your father might feel you disrespected his faith by attending different church while still under his control. in-short to end all this he say, she say, find your place or try to discuss issues with your father in a kind manner
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by ifyalways(f): 5:30pm On Jan 04, 2010
Liss:

I am just a few years close to thirty years old and my father still wants to control my every movement! For instance, I went to a different church than his and he locked me out for hours! saying since I didn't want to worship in the same church as his then I should move out or get married! Recently, I got home about 9.15pm from visiting a family member and he ranted and raved at me.

I am so tempted to actually move out and be by myself but society frowns on ladies living on their own. What or how can I make him realise that I am a grown woman and can actually call his bluff!

Please help cos I am suffocating here,

My dear just move out,forget the society,u are old enough to make ur own choices.
but lol oooh,i stopped attending same church with my parents since i was 15,i just didnt feel comfy with their RCCG doctrines,i became a baptist,my parents frowned at it at first but they let me be.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Outstrip(f): 7:08pm On Jan 04, 2010
You need to move out. Don't get used to his bad behavior because as soon as you accept it then you will accept it eventually from a husband. Your dad is just being abusive and it's probably because he has always been like that and nobody called him out. don't expect him to change after all it is his house and your mother has put up with his behavior. Hell will freeze over before he lets his child tell him he is wrong and she is right
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Fhemmmy: 2:10am On Jan 05, 2010
If u can afford it, get out . . . .but if he is right, change and be good
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by iice(f): 3:33pm On Jan 06, 2010
Errh @ your mid 20s?, i don't think society will frown that much on you living alone undecided
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jan 06, 2010
Tsiya's advice is very mature.

I think you have to conform as long as you're in their house.

Go to the same church with them. (Granted, faith is personal but you still live under them)
If you live in Naija, please come home latest 8pm. (Dad is just thinking of your safety)

However,
It's improper to be unmarried and living alone when you're in the same City as your folks.
I think your dad took it a little too far by not wanting you to get your own car.

What you need now is to think of settling down.
I know that may not be soley in your hands right now, it's one of the ways out.

Alternatively, ask for a transfer to another City/State from your office.
When you now live on your own, you can do anything you want, anything !!!
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by ravenzord(m): 4:22pm On Jan 06, 2010
I think you should leave the house, obviously you're mature, you can cater for yourself, and you're having a personality clash with your father. It's better for you to politely leave and prolly try visiting on weekends, than to stay back and end up having a big quarrel with your father which could lead to a family rift. And I do feel your pain on the church issue, stopped attending the same church as my parents at 17, cos I was always falling asleep in church. Besta luck
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by iice(f): 4:26pm On Jan 06, 2010
ravenzord:

I think you should leave the house, obviously you're mature, you can cater for yourself, and you're having a personality clash with your father. It's better for you to politely leave and prolly try visiting on weekends, than to stay back and end up having a big quarrel with your father which could lead to a family rift. And I do feel your pain on the church issue, stopped attending the same church as my parents at 17, cos I was always falling asleep in church. Besta luck

Worse is when those feelings fester and breed some really bad feelings.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Sissy3(f): 1:01am On Jan 07, 2010
BlueDiva:

However,
It's improper to be unmarried and living alone when you're in the same City as your folks.

What you need now is to think of settling down.
I know that may not be soley in your hands right now, it's one of the ways out.

how is it improper? she is almost 30 not 21 or 17

and i think your last advice is very wrong. she shouldnt consider marriage as a way to get away from her father. marriage shouldnt be an escape route to ones problem. she has to find ways to deal with the problem before thinking of getting married.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by bawomolo(m): 5:10am On Jan 07, 2010

lol, the things one would read on nairaland. You guys are so bound by tradition that it seems fanatical.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by AloyEmeka9: 8:39am On Jan 07, 2010
~Sissy~:

and i think your last advice is very wrong. she shouldnt consider marriage as a way to get away from her father. marriage shouldnt be an escape route to ones problem. she has to find ways to deal with the problem before thinking of getting married.

Because potential suitors will think she is a LovePeddler and she left home because she wants more space to invite different men into her house for occasional sleepovers. Nigerians reason in mysterious ways so, BlueDiva knows what she is talking about.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by chika98: 8:42am On Jan 07, 2010
I think you should move out without telling them. Let the roof light on fire! You are not a child anymore.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 07, 2010
~Sissy~:

Madam expatriate, In Nigeria it's improper.

Read my words carefully, I said at 30 marriage should be on the cards.
I said it ain't solely in her hands but it is a guaranteed solution to this problem.

bawomolo:

lol, the things one would read on nairaland.   You guys are so bound by tradition that it seems fanatical.

Ok, Mr contemporary, give your input or face left.

Aloy.Emeka:

Because potential suitors will think she is a LovePeddler and she left home because she wants more space to invite different men into her house for occasional sleepovers. Nigerians reason in mysterious ways so, BlueDiva knows what she is talking about.

Thanks, I like realists.
A lot of us come online and form all Westernized, even those that the community sponsored abroad.  cheesy
We can't be more catholic than the pope.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by yjay(f): 3:20pm On Jan 07, 2010
@poster, i think i can relate with u, my mum used to be a lil over bearing maybe cos she lost her husband at 27 & was forced to raise two kids on her own, so sometimes i can understand where shes coming from trying to enforce a lot of her strict/dictatorial rules on me & my sister, but i do admit i was a rebel when i was much younger but wat i learnt is as long as u re under their roof u ve to abide by their rules, thats just it! my mum has chilled now, i guess age has a lot to do with that & also she realised that we arent babies anymore & i ve demonstrated my maturity in terms of taking care of certain things in the house(financially),
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Outstrip(f): 5:25pm On Jan 07, 2010
BlueDiva:

I said it ain't solely in her hands but it is a guaranteed solution to this problem.

Thanks, I likely realists.
A lot of us come online and form all Westernized, we can't be more catholic than the pope.

BlueDiva please you are generalizing. What has expatriate got to do with anything. I have cousins in Nigeria that have lived on their own since their late twenties and nobody saw it as a big deal. I don't know why you people always want to blame the west for a everything. Many of us lived the same way in Nigeria so please enough of "here in Nigeria" or "those of us on the ground" as if none of us ever lived there. There is nothing that you are going to throw out there that most of us do not know unless it is something that just became in vogue. It is more of the circle of friends people associate with. Those who have lived by themselves will more likely be surrounded by other people with that level of thinking.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jan 07, 2010
I stand by my words.
It's difficult for a single lady in Naija  to go rent an apartment whilst living in the same town as her parents.

Granted, there will always be exceptions if:
Distance from family house is very far from that of workplace.
If the lady is from a dysfunctional home (which is not the case here.)
If the parents / child relationship is estranged.

Anyway, what i expressed is an opinion, no need to get worked up.
I haven't even said i'm in Nigeria, so whats with the "those of us on ground" statement and who is blaming the West? 

Take it easy ma'am.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by bawomolo(m): 5:52pm On Jan 07, 2010
BlueDiva:

why is 30 a fixed number? I guess a spinster/bachelor is damaged goods past 30.

it's silly to say people can't get an apartment of their own because they live in the same city with their parents. some people do like their independence.

A lot of us come online and form all Westernized, we can't be more catholic than the pope.

what does westernization have to be with living alone? heck there are grown European men in countries like Italy and Spain that still live with their parents. Something is wrong if you are thirty years old and your parents still think they can hit you (as in the case of the threadstarter)
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 07, 2010
bawomolo:

why is 30 a fixed number?  I guess a spinster/bachelor is damaged goods past 30. 

Yes, 30 is a milestone age.
At 30 most adults are considered mature enough to start a family.

it's silly to say people can't get an apartment of their own because they live in the same city with their parents. some people do like their independence.

It's not silly. At 30 a man is encouraged to live on his own, a woman isn't.
Do you guys even read previous posts? I said there are always exceptions.

what does westernization have to be with living alone?  heck there are grown European men in countries like Italy and Spain that still live with their parents.  Something is wrong if you are thirty years old and your parents still think they can hit you (as in the case of the threadstarter)

Nobody says it's right to hit anybody irrespective of the age.

Every society has it's ideals, norms, values and customs.
If you're 30 and live with your folks abroad, you're considered odd which is not so here.

You probably have watched the film Failure To Launch.
Very few people will stigmatize a grown man living with his folks in Naija.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Sissy3(f): 10:32pm On Jan 07, 2010
Aloy.Emeka:

abegi jor, find me another reasonable excuse.

BlueDiva:

Mrs refugee, in my own Nigeria its very proper. simple question "what is improper about it.?" what has "expatriate" got to do with it? realist ke, idealist ni.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 07, 2010
Better move out and damn society.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by iice(f): 2:57pm On Jan 09, 2010
Thankfully i wasn't burned at the stake for living alone too early.
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by Liss: 10:08pm On Jan 09, 2010
iice:

Thankfully i wasn't burned at the stake for living alone too early.

Good for you! Was it as a result of working in a different state from where your parents or what? How old were you when you started living on your own? Are you married now?
Re: Living With A Dictatorial Father, How Do You Cope? by iice(f): 4:09pm On Jan 11, 2010
Yes, my parents and siblings were in another state.  I was in secondary school grin (escaped school to stay at home lol).  Prolly about 14 or so.  Even when we lived in the same city, we lived in different houses. 

(1) (2) (Reply)

Married, But Living Single / Post Ur Xmas Shopping And Their Prices (pictures) / His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.