Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,738 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! (1157 Views)

I Gave Up On Programming. I'm Tired Of Programming. I Need To Rest. / Learning Programming. (my Nairaland Journal) / Avoid The Hard Ways Of Learning Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by Domain12: 10:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
I just started learning java over two months now and several times I feel like quitting because I find it hard to solve problems. I end up cheating; looking up at the solutions. It's so frustrating. I think programming is for intelligent people.
Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:20pm On Oct 23, 2020
Lol you go look up solutions tire. Hang in there. Programmers with 20 years experience still look up solutions.

10 Likes

Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by Karleb(m): 10:30pm On Oct 23, 2020
People who wrote Java still look up solution.

Programing is for those that can endure. Many people we consider intelligent would fail at programming.

This is why I laugh when people say everyone will become a programmer soon, if only it were that easy.

But hang in there, it only gets better.

10 Likes

Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by WoundedLamb: 10:30pm On Oct 23, 2020
Maybe you should adjust your learning style? Maybe you should change your choice of language? Maybe you should change the type of app you're starting with? Maybe you should focus more on algorithms and not language syntax? Maybe you should use books and not videos?

I really don't know the change that needs to be made; my point is that most times, it's a small adjustment that changes everything. It's like learning French, you will learn but it takes time and constant practice. Programming gives pleasurable frustrations especially when you start working for corporate organizations with crazy deadlines. But nothing compares to the joy of getting a working solution at the end. So I'd say, hang in there!

Meanwhile, I've been programming for more than 10 years but the moment I see any already-made code snippet, I grab it the way those hoodlums grap palliatives in Nigeria! That's the whole idea, bro. I also look up syntaxes and the names of framework classes. This doesn't make you any less of a developer. Anything to buy time.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by aronski(m): 10:41pm On Oct 23, 2020
beginners don't know that professionals search on google than them...
Don't give up now, create time for rest. Don't be learning while tired, take your time.

6 Likes

Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by Domain12: 11:01pm On Oct 23, 2020
Thanks bro
tensazangetsu20:
Lol you go look up solutions tire. Hang in there. Programmers with 20 years experience still look up solutions.
Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by Domain12: 11:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
Thanks. Maybe I need to strategise better on how I'm learning it
WoundedLamb:
Maybe you should adjust a learning style? Maybe you should change your choice of language? Maybe you should change the type of app you're starting with? Maybe you should focus more on algorithms and not language syntax? Maybe you should use books and not videos?

I really don't know the change that needs to be made; my point is that most times, it's a small adjustment that changes everything. It's like learning French, you will learn but it takes time and constant practice. Programming gives pleasurable frustrations especially when you start working for corporate organizations with crazy deadlines. But nothing compares to the joy of getting a working solution at the end. So I'd say, hang in there!

Meanwhile, I've been programming for more than 10 years but the moment I see any already-made code snippet, I grab it the way those hoodlums grap palliatives in Nigeria! That's the whole idea, bro. I also look up syntaxes and the names of framework classes. This doesn't make you any less of a developer. Anything to buy time.
Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by bularuz(m): 11:56pm On Oct 23, 2020
Watch more video showing programing examples like todo app
Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by Predstan: 2:01am On Oct 25, 2020
Hi I will recommend you start with python. Learn things that you think are interesting to you. You can also go to EDX, search for CS50 introduction to computer science. You will learn slowly and gradually. It is a course initiated by Harvard university. Python is syntactically simple. After learning concept with python, you may now consider learning C or C++.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by JFOD: 3:02am On Oct 25, 2020
Domain12

You picked Java as your first language to learn?

When you say you look up solution, do you mean the whole solution (A-Z) at once?

Find a good beginner friendly tutorial/book
Spend a lot of time on a concept (don't cover much in little time)
Be consistent

Feeling frustrated is a normal for people in that (your) world.

And two months

Hope you're not trying to solve a problem of a 3+ year old?

Don't quit
Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by Domain12: 3:21pm On Oct 25, 2020
Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by Sohnya(f): 9:29am On Oct 26, 2020
Domain12:
I just started learning java over two months now and several times I feel like quitting because I find it hard to solve problems. I end up cheating; looking up at the solutions. It's so frustrating. I think programming is for intelligent people.
I understand you because I’m also in the same situation and trust me I feel like giving up everytime (I’m learning JavaScript). The thing is you need to look at the way you solve problems,change your problem solving methods.

Take that big problem and break it into little problems that you can solve. It’s not bad to look up other people’s solutions,Infact anybody who has never gotten stuck at programming is a liar,even the best of best get stuck from time to time.

Also,I hope you really studied the basics and not just jump into frameworks.Make sure you understand the basics of any language you are learning,they are the foundation.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by 30naira: 5:00pm On Oct 26, 2020
Domain12:

LOL only 2 months and you are complaining? I have been programming for five years, I still run to stack overflow or Google very basic codes. It never goes away bro. As long as you know what you want to do, find a way to do it. If it involves watching tutorials or searching Google, just get on with it. We all do it.
Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 27, 2020
Only two months and you are complaining
Re: I Feel Like Giving Up In Learning Programming. I Find It Hard!! by Semtu(m): 6:18pm On Oct 27, 2020
Domain12:

On no account should a newbie programmer start with Java. There are easier languages you can pick.

(1) (Reply)

C++ Tutorials. / IT Training in the South East for Computer Science Students / Global Innovation Through Science And Tech (GIST) Initiative Competition 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.