Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,690 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful (1867 Views)

Revolution Won't Favour Us Now. Let's Watch What Tinubu Have For Us / Your Donations Won't Be In Vain And Will Be Accounted For – Obi Assures Donors / Ahmed Lawan Says Hate Speech Bill Won't Be Passed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 24, 2020
N.B This article is not meant to tell Nigerians not to protest, or that Buhari's government is all okay, and we should keep quiet

So, what are the major weaknesses in the ENDSARS movement

1.Too urban based

Most of the protests happened in the urban areas, and at limited urban areas self. How many protests took part in the rural areas? Hoow many people in the villages were mobilised

2.Got off messaage.

Intially it was ENDSARS.....and the government heard us and said YES....END SARS.

Then they started adding all sorts of stuff ( I even saw a list of demands in South Africa that was different from Abuja and Lagos lists)...and then all sorts of issues that were not part of the message got on the message.

As a result, confusion set in and the direction was lost.

Plus, the demands began to threaten the elite...and when thaat happens....

3.DIVISIONS.

Truth is, the ENDSARS movement was a SOUTHERNER MOVEMENT. No attempt was made to get the NORTHERNERS on board....which oopened the door for agents of dissension to reframe endsars as a movement to remove Buhari.....and as a result that made ENDSARS a regional instead of a national movement.

4.BLOCKING ROADS...

Endsars went and blacked roads a week ago...and so inconvienced people (in the FCT their blockage of the roads led to people who left work at 4 plm not reaching home till 2 am.)

That began the erosion of the good will of a lot of people

5.ANARCHY

Let's not lie...any protest in Nigeria always ends in anarchy. (That's why many Northerners who were sympathetic to the ENDSARS movement refused to organise protests...some of theem were scared of riots resulting. Even their protests agaainst insecurity were approched with caution). And once the anarchic siutation haappened....goodwill lost.

6.No leadership structure.

A lot of revolutions lose momemtum without a leader. No leader, no organisation, nothing.....and it is far easierfor the government and the elite to beat you at your game. Egypt, Sudan, and many other nations are already seeing why your revllution needs a good leader

That's my list for now. Add yours.

I personallly feel that the government needs to be far more sensitvive though. The Presidential speech was ,, and I say this with all due respect, a disaster.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by YoonSung50: 11:34am On Oct 24, 2020
The aim was achieved

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 24, 2020
YoonSung50:
The aim was achieved

Yeah....SARS was disbanded....but then they kind of lost the plot by adding other good but for now unnecessary demands.

Demands that can only beacheived by a good enough political and economic consesnsus....which is beyond the remit of a protest.

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Damikjay(m): 11:39am On Oct 24, 2020
guy, this thing is already successful whether u agree or not because the govt will not like to go back on its word if not another protest will erupt

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by SalamRushdie: 11:39am On Oct 24, 2020
YoonSung50:
The aim was achieved

Please get serious no aim was achieved , society was only let worse off , at the moment Lagos us like a mini Somalia and very lawless , innocent businesses and homes have been robbed and looted , most areas now don't have police stations, many critical infrastructure including public transport Destroyed And worse off SARs are now back and more ruthless as they try to restore order....You gained nothing but lost all ...Ask yourself are you safer

7 Likes

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 24, 2020
OP since they have the back of international community the simple thing is to burn down, pursue, kill all our politicians from 1960 till date but they refuse and follow only TINUBU, let pursue away our politicians not bank or private business.
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 24, 2020
Damikjay:
guy, this thing is already successful whether u agree or not because the govt will not like to go back on its word if not another protest will erupt

I pray it is succesful...but even then there were problems with the issue

Also, reforming the police goes further than the SARS demands.....in my opinion.

Like..we need to find a way to increase the police budget tenfold.

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by butterfly777(m): 11:46am On Oct 24, 2020
It is successful already in Jesus' name.

There is no perfect revolution anywhere.

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 24, 2020
Damikjay:

Yes, it did put heat under the government's legs....but to be honest this isn't the forst revolution of its kind I have seen in Nigeria.

I am old enough to recall the 1986 student riots that erupted across Nigeria....and after one month of students protesting and dying in the dozens...nothing changed. The Army was still the same old, same old.
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Damikjay(m): 11:47am On Oct 24, 2020
PhiliptheArab:

I pray it is succesful...but even then there were problems with the issue

Also, reforming the police goes further than the SARS demands.....in my opinion.

Like..we need to find a way to increase the police budget tenfold.
The police salary increment is a decision that should taken by the FG, they are the one reasonable for the monetary allocation on our budget, so if there is funds left and also capable to serve the police force I think it should be implemented

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Damikjay(m): 11:49am On Oct 24, 2020
PhiliptheArab:

Yes, it did put heat under the government's legs....but to be honest this isn't the forst revolution of its kind I have seen in Nigeria.

I am old enough to recall the 1986 student riots that erupted across Nigeria....and after one month of students protesting and dying in the dozens...nothing changed. The Army was still the same old, same old.
OK let watch and see how dis will go on.
whether history will repeat itself again
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 24, 2020
supportnija:
OP since they have the back of international community the simple thing is to burn down, pursue, kill all our politicians from 1960 till date but they refuse and follow only TINUBU, let pursue away our politicians not bank or private business.

Well there have been similar revolutionns that have chased off the elite and burned them all down in history

In Russia...there was a similar revolution.It worked. The old elite was killed off.....in 1917 and 18. And within 20 years, there was a new elite.....

Over 70 years later, the whole experiment came crashing down.

Beter to use the tools democracy haas us to work for gradual change from the bottom up

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by ednut1(m): 12:05pm On Oct 24, 2020
The end result was expected. How can you block major roads for over a week. What happened to protesting by the side of the road. They were forming no leaders wanted bla bla bla, insulting and abusing the older generation who had military to face. The abroad influencers, celebrities and faceless groups too were giving them ginger and they turned it to a carnival. When thugs began to attack they should have gone home. You disobeyed a curfew. Were they expecting a pat on the back Nigeria has no future. Either we manage it like this or risk a Somalia or libya

2 Likes

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by valentineuwakwe(m): 12:08pm On Oct 24, 2020
pls change your caption op, the protest was not about revolution it was about the anger n pains SARs have cause thousand of people in these country especially we the young ones.....it should be EndSARs protest n not revolution!
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by okeyglm: 12:10pm On Oct 24, 2020
we have lost to the politicians. in coming days all this will be forgotten and Sars or swat will rise up. and continue where they stopped.
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 24, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
pls change your caption op, the protest was not about revolution it was about the anger n pains SARs have cause thousand of people in these country especially we the young ones.....it should be EndSARs protest n not revolution!

It was origianlly about SARS, as i have said...then people started adding stuff to the demands...including restructuring,dividing the country, banning politicanns from competing in 2023, giving youth jobs, etc etc. (I even saw a list on television where someone called for the deregulation of the power sector.)

Then they started shouting revolution

That is where they missed the wood for the trees or the trees for the forest.

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by ayolayo0405(m): 12:16pm On Oct 24, 2020
Nice point of view and another point is, the government are scared because the world is at the back of the Nigerian youth and they are ready to do anything possible to stop the protest in order not to result to revolution.....

Check my signature, you really need it at this time

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 24, 2020
okeyglm:
we have lost to the politicians. in coming days all this will be forgotten and Sars or swat will rise up. and continue where they stopped.

If you want to beat the polticans you have to organise, origanise, organise.

Get a critical mass among the regular people to back you.

But that takes time...which is why many of the protesters chose to put the cart before the horse.
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by okeyglm: 12:19pm On Oct 24, 2020
PhiliptheArab:

If you want to beat the polticans you have to organise, origanise, organise.

Get a critical mass among the regular people to back you.

But that takes time...which is why many of the protesters chose to put the cart before the horse.
masses are behind us. some people don't have genuine reasons for the protest.

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 24, 2020
ayolayo0405:
Nice point of view and another point is, the government are scared because the world is at the back of the Nigerian youth and they are ready to do anything possible to stop the protest in order not to result to revolution.....

Check my signature, you really need it at this time

Actually the government isn't really scared.

They have already succesfully explited the divisons in Nigeria to divide the ENDSARS movement, and completely isolate them from the general Nigerian polpulaiton

Then the ENDSARS movement was too urban and southern based to be a succesful mass movement.
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 24, 2020
okeyglm:

masses are behind us. some people don't have genuine reasons for the protest.

Are they really...

The masses in the North aren't behind you. The masses in the rural areas dont know there is a protest going on. Youv'e lost some of the urban masses by things like blocking the road.

And you have no political organisation...yet you attempted to turn a movement to reform the police into a polical mass movement overnight. It doesn't work that way.

Either one does the hard work of mobilising from the people in every village , town and city across Niigeria, or forget about revlution. Revolutions are hard work.
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by okeyglm: 12:25pm On Oct 24, 2020
PhiliptheArab:

Are they really...

The masses in the North aren't behind you. The masses in the rural areas dont know there is a protest going on. Youv'e lost some of the urban masses by things like blocking the road.

And you have no political organisation...yet you attempted to turn a movement to reform the police into a polical mass movement overnight. It doesn't work that way.

Either one does the hard work of mobilising from the people in every village , town and city across Niigeria, or forget about revlution. Revolutions are hard work.
jos, kaduna, taraba, benue,kogi, nassarawa, kwara are they southerners?
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 24, 2020
okeyglm:

Apart from the one day protests in their state capitals, has anything hapenned?

Makurdi was reported on AIT to have been peaceful for a week since they protested

How about the rural areas in those states? Nothing is happening?

Can't have a revolution based on such limited activity.
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 24, 2020
I love this factual and logical writeup but i dont support revolution.

The EndSAR movement was hijack the moment they starting adding agendas which has nothing to do with endsar.

Many of the organisers of Endsar are ignorant of how Nigeria is made up

Nigeria isnt the US
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Lagoon0: 12:36pm On Oct 24, 2020
SalamRushdie:

worse off SARs are now back and more ruthless as they try to restore order....You gained nothing but lost all ...Ask yourself are you safer

The Lagos I know will get back to its feet in just a week or two. Don't downgrade Lagos.
Especially now that godfathers are on the run!

LAGOS REMAINS LANDLORD

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 24, 2020
okeyglm:

there was no mass protest there.
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 24, 2020
Lagoon0:

The Lagos I know will get back to its feet in just a week or two. Don't downgrade Lagos.
Especially now that godfathers are on the run!

LAGOS REMAINS LANDLORD

you dont know anything about rebuilding after destruction, it takes years to rebuild
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Lagoon0: 12:45pm On Oct 24, 2020
PhiliptheArab:
N.B This article is not meant to tell Nigerians not to protest, or that Buhari's government is all okay, and we should keep quiet

So, what are the major weaknesses in the ENDSARS movement

1.Too urban based

Most of the protests happened in the urban areas, and at limited urban areas self. How many protests took part in the rural areas? Hoow many people in the villages were mobilised

2.Got off messaage.

Intially it was ENDSARS.....and the government heard us and said YES....END SARS.
needs to be far more sensitvive though. The Presidential speech was ,, and I say this with all due respect, a disaster.
Nice point , the Nigeria system shaped the protest to what it is. Government never listened in the first place. They only changed names.
I've been a Nigerian from birth so I know when government especially the Nigeria type of government is serious or not.

Believe Nigeria revolution has to come a different way. Our leaders are so greedy that we don't need to have leader and thats what makes the government more scared.

If its a southern movement I'm very sure when we change things for better in the southern Nigeria . the north central would be enlightened and support for a greater restructuring before you know it.
Revolution would be by enlightenment not religious/tribal sentiment .
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Lagoon0: 12:45pm On Oct 24, 2020
thebosstrevor1:

you dont know anything about rebuilding after destruction, it takes years to rebuild
What was destroyed in Lagos that would take years to rebuild ?
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 24, 2020
Lagoon0:

What was destroyed in Lagos that would take years to rebuild ?

everything, have you been to lekki, the shop that were looted, the businesses destroyed, the government buildings burnt down, the police stations that was burnt, the officers killed, and all others things i cant mention. many of these things are the infrastructures that run lagos and they will need cash to repair, replace to make them functional again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by SenecaTheYonger: 12:48pm On Oct 24, 2020
YoonSung50:
The aim was achieved

It wasn’t achieved. They’ve been reports of SARS operatives in Lagos roads in mufti with unregistered vans
Re: The Reasons Why The ENDSARS Revolution Won't Be Successful by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 24, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

It wasn’t achieved. They’ve been reports of SARS operatives in Lagos roads in mufti with unregistered vans

is it every officers on mufti that are SAR

SAR have been disbanded.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Really Is This Warlord Of Our Time Called Ismail Wakili? / Nnamdi Kanu And His South-South Stubbornness[photos ] / It’s Operational’ — Imo Assembly Counters Uzodimma On Anti-grazing Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.