Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,760 members, 7,831,446 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? (24058 Views)

Why Is It Unforgivable To Sin Against The Holy Spirit / Is Suicide Unforgivable Sin / What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by NewsBlast: 2:03pm On Oct 25, 2020
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by NewsBlast: 2:06pm On Oct 25, 2020
Kobojunkie:
There is nothing similar about the sin committed by Ananias and Saphira against the Spirit of God, and the betrayal of the person of Jesus Christ by Judas Iscariot. Why?

1. Mainly because Judas Iscariot betrayed the person of Jesus Christ, not the Spirit of God
2. Because Judas Iscariot did not have the Spirit of God living on the inside of Him at the time of His betrayal. The Spirit of God showed up to indwell the apostles on the day of Pentecost, after the death of Judas Iscariot.

If you had paid attention to what Jesus Christ said of the unforgivable sin, you would note that He was clear that it was not a sin committed against God, or against His person, Jesus Christ, but instead, a sin committed against the Spirit of God.

Go back to Acts 4 and start reading from there to get the full context of how Ananias and Saphira showed up in the story. They were among the believers who had committed to following the commandments of Jesus Christ -- they were filled with the Spirit of God and as such synched by Him. So, the selling of their property was not because they were commanded by man but by the Spirit of God.
However, in their case, rather than honestly bring forward what the Spirit of God had put in their hearts to do, they brought what they chose to and lied that it was what the Spirit had provided them with. That was their sin - they lied against the Spirit of God, being spirit-filled themselves (or at least one of them was).
Judas did indeed believe in Jesus Christ but eventually betrayed Him, that is how the story goes. He walked with Jesus Christ, albeit dishonestly, for over 3 years, living homeless with the group when they were. His betrayal was something else, proof that it is not enough to believe.

I am not sure where you get this version of your story from, but according to scripture, Judas killed Himself - He committed suicide because he could not live with the guilt of what he had done. No scripture tells of God sending anyone to murder Judas or anything of that sort.

Esau, on the other hand, did not kill Himself. Esau sold his birthright for food - that was not a sin, not according to what is written. That you all have taken to seeing it a sin is something different. Esau and the lot have absolutely nothing to do with what Jesus Christ taught and commanded His followers.

“Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?” (Hebrews 10:29). Both of you are right, this verse still talks of unbelief... Here's another, “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come” (Matthew 12:31–32).

Author's explanation: "This is the most serious offense against the Holy Spirit, for there is no forgiveness for the person who commits it. The work of the Spirit is to convict us of sin and bring us to Jesus Christ. To blaspheme Him is similar to insulting, in that we resist His work altogether. This should not be the concern of any Christian, for this is not a sin he can or will commit..." More here: https://harvest.org/know-god-article/sins-against-the-holy-spirit/
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by DarkJeddi(m): 2:10pm On Oct 25, 2020
Scam..
Religion is a SCAM.. grin
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Abayolaid: 2:21pm On Oct 25, 2020
who ever blasphem must die, either agais god or man (leveticus 24:10-16)
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by novelbuks(m): 3:23pm On Oct 25, 2020
To blaspheme against the Holy Spirit is to have tasted of Him, experienced His fellowship, and then go back to deny His existence.

Why is this the unforgivable sin?

You see sin is dealt with by the Cross through the death of Jesus Christ, but the experience of forgiveness of sins is communicated by the Holy Spirit.

So if you come around to deny His existence, by what means would you be forgiven?

It's like me sending $500 to you, but you vehemently shout that banks do not exist.
You will never claim the money!
So that's how it works.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Richieniit: 3:24pm On Oct 25, 2020
sorry op! the sin of the unblief is not what bible or Jesus means by sin against the holy spirit! you have a very nice write up but you are completely 100% wrong.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Uchimah: 3:25pm On Oct 25, 2020
Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you sir/ma.
God bless and increase you in revelational teaching
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by femi4: 3:28pm On Oct 25, 2020
live4dgospel:

There was no record of Ananias being filled with the Holy Spirit, if there is tell me where it is written. That he was with believers doesn't make him a believer. Can you call Judas believer because he was with the disciples? As I said before he was an unbeliever in the midst of believers. He never had the Holy Spirit. Didn't Peter deny Jesus with a curse? Why didn't he hang himself, it is because he believed that Jesus is his Savior. If Judas had believed he would have held his peace and rest his weakness in the salvation of Jesus without having to commit suicide. Judas didn't commit sin against Jesus but against the Holy Spirit, this is the sin of unbelief.
Judas committed sin against holy spirit ke? Holy spirit wasn't in their midst until Jesus left.

Fake doctrines everywhere
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by femi4: 3:29pm On Oct 25, 2020
Richieniit:
sorry op! the sin of the unblief is not what bible or Jesus means by sin against the holy spirit! you have a very nice write up but you are completely 100% wrong.
Spot on
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Ihedinobi3: 3:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
HKGODSWILL:
This is it, apostle Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit and that was very obvious. Ananias was debating with apostle Peter.
Apostle Peter knew Ananias deeds because the Holy Spirit revealed it to him, yet Ananias was still claiming right thereby lying against the Holy Spirit who revealed everything to apostle Peter. Note: Eveything the Apostle was saying that moment was from the Holy Spirit. There is no way the Apostle would know what he deed exempt the Holy Spirit revealed it to him. He wasn't there.
That is why we are never to judge the prophet of God because they are all filled with the Holy Spirit.

Now, how does that apply today?
1.When you perform a miracle or heal someone with the power from evil sources to deceive people and claim is the Holy Spirit, you are blaspheming against the Holy Spirit.
2. When you recieve a revelation about someone or something from an evil source and claim is from the Holy Spirit, you are blaspheming against the Holy Spirit.
3. When you recieve a revelation from the Holy Spirit and claim is from You or other source you are blaspheming against the

I don't see the debate you speak of.

As for judging prophets of God, this is what I read in the Bible --

1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
1 John 4:1 (NKJV)

As for your three points, blasphemy is literally slander. So, anything that anyone does or says to make God seem like a liar is blasphemy. But the unforgivable sin is the blasphemy of blasphemies. The Holy Spirit witnesses that Jesus Christ is God's Servant sent to save the world from our sins. If we reject His Witness, thus calling Him a liar, then we can never be saved. Our sins will then never be forgiven and we will end up in the Lake of Fire for our unbelief.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Franking: 4:33pm On Oct 25, 2020
Taa! Meant to keep people in perpetual chain. Holy spirit my ass.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Jetland(m): 4:57pm On Oct 25, 2020
Sunnycliff:
Ọp, stop interpreting the scriptures out of context. Unbelief is not blasphemy. Blasphemy is deep rooted evil speaking and mockery. The Holy Spirit is sacred and can't entertain rubbish.

Let me ask you this; can you make mockery of someone or something you believe?
That someone makes mockery of someone is a clear sign of unbelief
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 6:05pm On Oct 25, 2020
NewsBlast:
“Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?” (Hebrews 10:29). Both of you are right, this verse still talks of unbelief...
That verse from Paul's letter does not speak of UNBELIEF in any way or form.

I typically don't like to quote Paul as far as things that concern the commandments of Jesus Christ, since Jesus Christ is the one who defined what is sin and what is not for us, not Paul.
That said, the letter Paul wrote to the Hebrews was written and directed at believers of Hebrew descent (Look in chapter 1 of the letter to the Hebrews to see where he establishes the audience of his letter to the Hebrews). What Paul says here is simple! If you believe but refuse to obey the commandments of Jesus Christ as well, you show that you not only hate Jesus Christ(disrespecting His blood sacrifice and new Covenant that is Jesus Christ, at the same time) but you also insult the Spirit of God's grace(the New Covenant that is Jesus Christ). He is addressing, not unbelievers, but believers... those who are saved and have eternal life but refuse to obey Jesus Christ's commandments.

Hebrews 10 vs 26-31 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26. If we decide to continue sinning after we have learned the truth, then there is no other sacrifice that will take away sins.
27. If we continue sinning, all that is left for us is a fearful time of waiting for the judgment and the angry fire that will destroy those who live against God.
28. Whoever refused to obey the Law of Moses was found guilty from the testimony given by two or three witnesses. Such people were not forgiven. They were killed.
29. So think how much more punishment people deserve who show their hate for the Son of God—people who show they have no respect for the blood sacrifice that began the new agreement and once made them holy or who insult the Spirit of God’s grace.
30. We know that God said, “I will punish people for the wrongs they do; I will repay them.”[d] And he also said, “The Lord will judge his people.”[e]
31. It is a terrible thing to face punishment from the living God.

That said, Paul is not the one to look to when you want to know what sin is, you look instead to Jesus Christ who is the author of our faith, the New Covenant Himself for the definition of sin and all things profitable.
NewsBlast:
Here's another, “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come” (Matthew 12:31–32).

Author's explanation: "This is the most serious offence against the Holy Spirit, for there is no forgiveness for the person who commits it. The work of the Spirit is to convict us of sin and bring us to Jesus Christ. To blaspheme Him is similar to insulting, in that we resist His work altogether. This should not be the concern of any Christian, for this is not a sin he can or will commit..." More here: https://harvest.org/know-god-article/sins-against-the-holy-spirit
Sure, blasphemy is of course disrespectful but has nothing to do with disbelief. It is those who believe who can blaspheme the Spirit of God; those who believe have eternal life and so they are the ones who can end up in Hell for disrespecting the New Covenant(agreement) that is the grace of God to man by their refusal to acknowledge and obey it.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Oct 25, 2020
shadeyinka2:
You needn't be so hard. He isn't lying. He said his understanding about the matter.
It is best to state your own point and leave
This has nothing to do with understanding. This is a lie as it is not what Jesus Christ, the truth of God, taught us of what this sin is really about.
This lie, among others, has indeed been told in pulpits across the world and many gullible have received it and been drawn even further away from the one they claim to believe in, as a result. We are talking here of souls essentially being damned to hell because of doctrines and traditions, lies, told daily in this world, all in the name of God.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Oct 25, 2020
greatreality:
And you think you have not told lies since you were born. My friend think before you type. A sin against the holy spirit remain what the ops posted.
What has the lies I have told since I was born to do with this?
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 6:20pm On Oct 25, 2020
voskia:
if what u wrote above is actually the sin against the holy spirit, then no man could attain righteousness.for at one point or the other in our Christian work we have made this same errors.. i strongly believe u are wrong
I am not sure I follow. If you follow what Jesus Christ wrote, a sin against the Spirit of God is intentional sin and not a mistake or error as you assume.

God sees and knows the heart of men. He does not judge us by our actions, but our intentions(our heart). So, if in your heart, you have purposed to sin against the Spirit of God, be ready for the judgement that follows. It is as simple as that. An error or mistake does not register as an intentional act in one's heart.
If I intend in my heart to push Mr A off a building, but mistakenly Kill Mr B instead, I will not be found guilty of Killing Mr A as well since I did not end up Killing Mr A as I had originally intended. grin
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 6:22pm On Oct 25, 2020
Sunnycliff:
Ananias and Sapphira did not lie against the Holy Spirit rather they lied to the Holy Spirit
Um.... You cannot lie to the Spirit inside of you, It is a thing of impossibility. The Spirit of God already knows your very heart and intentions even before you do. So how can you lie to Him? undecided
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 6:43pm On Oct 25, 2020
Hotzone:
Using its name for mockery....profanities
What name? Does He, the Spirit of God/Spirit of Truth/Spirit of Grace/Holy Ghost/Holy SPirit have a name that you know of?
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:04pm On Oct 25, 2020
Powerfly:
The unpardonable sin is unbelief.
The moment you die without accepting Salvation and forgiveness.. You enter an unpardonable state of eternal damnation and condemnation, because beyond the realm of mortals.. There's no repentance in the grave.
You are highly mistaken and this may be because of the source of your scriptural knowledge.
Let's start at the beginning, shall we?

Genesis 2 vs 15-17 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15. Then the Lord God took [d]the man and put him in the garden of Eden to [e]tend and keep it.
16. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat;
17. but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you[f] shall surely die.”

You see, those who do not believe in God, the unbelievers, have already been condemned to die(perish/returned back to dust when they die, body and soul), so there is not eternal anything for them since Adam, the first among them, did not eat of the tree of life before God condemned him to die in that way. What does this mean? It means when an unbeliever dies, he simply becomes dust and nothing else... no afterlife or punishment in Hell.

Genesis 3 vs 17-19 (ERV)
17. Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’: “Cursed is the ground for your sake; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life.
18. Both thorns and thistles it shall [f]bring forth for you, And you shall eat the herb of the field.
19. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return.”

What you need to remember is that Hell is a place of eternal punishment meaning that those who are to enter Hell have to at least have eternal life for them to exist in that place forever.

So, if Man was not made eternal from the beginning what happened? Salvation is what happened... Jesus Christ (the eternal life Himself) came and gifted to all those who believe in Him, eternal life -- no longer condemned to die/perish but have everlasting life. Does every human being get this? No, only those who believe in Jesus Christ will receive this gift of eternal life. Those who continue in disbelief will not - so they are still condemned to die/perish. Be aware that Salvation does not come with a promise of Heaven but simply redemption from the condemnation of sin that is death(the perishing kind).

John 3 vs 16-21 (ERV)
16. “For God so loved the world,[i] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
17. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
18. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
19. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.
20. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.
21. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”
So, who are those who will end up in Hell, you may be asking? The ones to end up in Hell, according to Jesus Christ, are those who believe in Him but refuse to obey Him. For those, Hell is prepared for as the place where they get to spend the eternal life they gained by believing in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ also taught several parables about this to help us understand that indeed those who are bound for Hell are those of His servants who refuse to obey Him.

Luke 12 vs 35-48 (ERV)
35. “Stay dressed for action[f] and keep your lamps burning,
36. and be like men who are waiting for their master to come home from the wedding feast, so that they may open the door to him at once when he comes and knocks.
37. Blessed are those servants[g] whom the master finds awake when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them.
38. If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and finds them awake, blessed are those servants!
39. But know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he[h] would not have left his house to be broken into.
40. You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”

41. Peter said, “Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for all?”
42. And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time?
43. Blessed is that servant[i] whom his master will find so doing when he comes.
44. Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions.
45. But if that servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed in coming,’ and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and get drunk,
46. the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces and put him with the unfaithful.
47. And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating.
48. But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.
The unbelievers simply perish in their graves i.e. they cease to exist once they die.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:07pm On Oct 25, 2020
Shile981:
So tell me the fate of the Muslims who doesn't believe in the Gospel of Christ?
According to the Bible, those who do not believe in Jesus Christ will continue to perish as God commanded from the beginning

Genesis 3 vs 17-19 (ERV)
17. Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’: “Cursed is the ground for your sake; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life.
18. Both thorns and thistles it shall [f]bring forth for you, And you shall eat the herb of the field.
19. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return.”

Since Adam did not eat from the Tree of Life before he left the garden of Eden, there is no afterlife/eternal life for unbelievers and so their end remains the grave.

Genesis 3 vs 22-24 (ERV)
22. Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”—
23. therefore the Lord God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken.
24. So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:10pm On Oct 25, 2020
anochuko01:

this is like the most reasonable answer ive gotten on this particular question.
also considering that the holy spirit is a witness, convicts us of our sin and does the work of salvation
You are highly mistaken and this may be because of the source of your scriptural knowledge.
Let's start at the beginning, shall we?

Genesis 2 vs 15-17 (ERV)
15. Then the Lord God took [d]the man and put him in the garden of Eden to [e]tend and keep it.
16. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat;
17. but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you[f] shall surely die.”

You see, those who do not believe in God, the unbelievers, have already been condemned to die(perish/returned back to dust when they die, body and soul), so there is not eternal anything for them since Adam, the first among them, did not eat of the tree of life before God condemned him to die in that way. What does this mean? It means when an unbeliever dies, he simply becomes dust and nothing else... no afterlife or punishment in Hell.

Genesis 3 vs 17-19 (ERV)

What you need to remember is that Hell is a place of eternal punishment meaning that those who are to enter Hell have to at least have eternal life for them to exist in that place forever.

So, if Man was not made eternal from the beginning what happened? Salvation is what happened... Jesus Christ (the eternal life Himself) came and gifted to all those who believe in Him, eternal life -- no longer condemned to die/perish but have everlasting life. Does every human being get this? No, only those who believe in Jesus Christ will receive this gift of eternal life. Those who continue in disbelief will not - so they are still condemned to die/perish. Be aware that Salvation does not come with a promise of Heaven but simply redemption from the condemnation of sin that is death(the perishing kind).

John 3 vs 16-21 (ERV)
16. “For God so loved the world,[i] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
17. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
18. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
19. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.
20. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.
21. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”
So, who are those who will end up in Hell, you may be asking? The ones to end up in Hell, according to Jesus Christ, are those who believe in Him but refuse to obey Him. For those, Hell is prepared for as the place where they get to spend the eternal life they gained by believing in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ also taught several parables about this to help us understand that indeed those who are bound for Hell are those of His servants who refuse to obey Him.

Luke 12 vs 35-48 (ERV)
35. “Stay dressed for action[f] and keep your lamps burning,
36. and be like men who are waiting for their master to come home from the wedding feast, so that they may open the door to him at once when he comes and knocks.
37. Blessed are those servants[g] whom the master finds awake when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them.
38. If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and finds them awake, blessed are those servants!
39. But know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he[h] would not have left his house to be broken into.
40. You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”

41. Peter said, “Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for all?”
42. And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time?
43. Blessed is that servant[i] whom his master will find so doing when he comes.
44. Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions.
45. But if that servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed in coming,’ and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and get drunk,
46. the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces and put him with the unfaithful.
47. And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating.
48. But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.
The unbelievers simply perish in their graves i.e. they cease to exist once they die.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:11pm On Oct 25, 2020
womenareapes:
them die and go to hell fire! direct express to Hellfire.
No they do not, not as long as they don't believe in Jesus Christ.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:12pm On Oct 25, 2020
MisterKings:
You are still here talking about holy spirit and blasphemy.

Who bloody cares really. If thunder did not strike down the people killing us and suffering us in this country then both Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not doing a very good job and I don't care what sin he doesn't forgive, me I have not forgiven him myself.
They are not doing a very good job? Am afraid you are mistaken... the job is not theirs to do but yours.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:13pm On Oct 25, 2020
Pecuman:
The Sin of Blasphemy against the Holy spirit is also translated sometimes as grieving the Holy spirit.

The most common theological explanation of this is that it means praying for forgiveness without believing, without Faith. We know that we need to have Faith in God for God to answer our prayers so grieving the Holy spirit means to be in a state where you have no faith at all in God and his Holy spirit.

That is why it is unforgivable, because you become incapable of asking for forgiveness.
HUH? undecided undecided
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:18pm On Oct 25, 2020
Moura7:
I believe when you say "unforgivable", it means something that can't be forgiven anymore and also for you to term something 'unforgiveable' it means even when someone repents or asks for forgiveness of that particular action, it won't be forgiven. Now are you saying if an unbeliever repents of his/her sins, it won't be forgiven of him/her? As I said before even Paul didn't believe till a divine intervention from Christ. What think to be blasphemy against the Spirit of God is mockery against his person, lying on his account or with his name, giving off false projections by claiming to be under his influence and so on. Now this is my own understanding of it and I might be wrong but that's the whole essence of this thread to be rightfully corrected and not to undermine or insult other people's contributions
I doubt anyone who commits the sin will continue to live, that is what I think the "unforgivable" part is about since your chances, at forgiveness, are lost once you are dead.

That is why I brought in the case of Ananias and Sapphira. The moment they each committed the act against the Spirit of God, they each died, keeping them from having to repent of their sins later on.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by shadeyinka2: 7:23pm On Oct 25, 2020
Kobojunkie:
This has nothing to do with understanding. This is a lie as it is not what Jesus Christ, the truth of God, taught us of what this sin is really about.
This lie, among others, has indeed been told in pulpits across the world and many gullible have received it and been drawn even further away from the one they claim to believe in, as a result. We are talking here of souls essentially being damned to hell because of doctrines and traditions, lies, told daily in this world, all in the name of God.
You use strong words.
A lie is a deliberate falsification of facts.
Did he falsify the truth of the scriptures?
You can't know!

He said it the way he understands it. Give him the benefit of the doubt and correct in love is my submission!
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:24pm On Oct 25, 2020
neonly:
U guys should stop disturbing yourself nobody or very few in our generation dat can sin against the holy spirit
Check Heb from 6 down u will understand
A lot of misinformation spread by dis call pastors to bring fear to the congregation
Those few matter, don't you think?

Hebrews 6 vs 1-8 (ERV)
1. So we should be finished with the beginning lessons about Christ. We should not have to keep going back to where we started. 2. We began our new life by turning away from the evil we did in the past and by believing in God. That’s when we were taught about baptisms,[a] laying hands on people, the resurrection of those who have died, and the final judgment. Now we need to go forward to more mature teaching.
[b] 3.
And that’s what we will do if God allows.
4-6. After people have left the way of Christ, can you make them change their lives again? I am talking about people who once learned the truth, received God’s gift, and shared in the Holy Spirit. They were blessed to hear God’s good message and see the great power of his new world. But then they left it all behind, and it is not possible to make them change again. That’s because those who leave Christ are nailing him to the cross again, shaming him before everyone.
7. Some people are like land that gets plenty of rain and produces a good crop for those who farm it. That kind of land has God’s blessing.
8. But other people are like land that grows only thorns and weeds. It is worthless and in danger of being cursed by God. It will be destroyed by fire.[/b]
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:34pm On Oct 25, 2020
Osanoghodua1:
No, the unforgiven sin is not unbelief but the sin of apostate ( abandoning Jesus and rejecting/renouncing Christ)
See now Hebrews 6:4 For it's impossible for those who were once elightened, tasted of haveanly gift..... Read to verse verse 5 it has 5 criteria before one can commit such sin.
Note that a baby christian can't commit the unforgiven sin, and for a Christian to be qualified to commit such sin, he must be very matured and must have partake of the five listed criterion.
You mean like Peter did when He denied Jesus Christ? Jesus Christ never said apostasy is a sin. Let's us not now create for ourselves sin where God has not Himself defined it thus.
Osanoghodua1:
A G. O of a church may not have even been qualified enough to commit such sin.
So say someone who has partook of the above criteria, and he is now very sure of whom Christ is like the apostles after the Holy ghost have come upon them, men like Peter, John, James, Paul, for them to now turn back and say Christ is a scam or the whole salvation issue is an hoax or a scam will put them in irreversible lane with God.

The Scripture is clear it says "It's impossible to bring them back" it means they can't be forgiven again and the bible is final about this and not emotional or guessing about it.
The scripture or Paul's opinion? It is not your place to bring anyone back... if such a person had the Spirit of God inside of him at the time he chose to abandon God, then it is up to the Spirit, not man, or even Paul, to restore such a person.
Jesus Christ said He will never lose anyone that the Father has given Him. So, it is not for men to decide amongst themselves whether a one can be restored or not. It is Jesus Christ Himself who knows those that the Father has given Him and those that are not His.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:36pm On Oct 25, 2020
wale2020:
This is another gospel brother. You are just moudling things up.
Blasphemy againts the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with what happened to Judas and Anias n Saphira.

It simply the sin of Unbelief when you study that passage contextually.
Unfortunately, contextual study does indeed reveal that when Jesus Christ spoke of blasphemy, He did not, in fact, mean unbelief, given that He was addressing the Pharisees - they believed in God, only they did not obey His commandments as stipulated since they had their many doctrines and traditions to follow instead of the very commandments of God Himself.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:40pm On Oct 25, 2020
Patodeh111:

Oga your words are great but I don’t think unbelief as you said is the unforgivable sin but the Bible being so vague needs wisdom and certain gifts from the Holy Spirit before one can truly understand what is inscribed by the scriptures the same bible said he who sins and asks for forgiveness will be forgiven and that God is a merciful God and he listen to our cry when ever we call unto him and don’t discourage others to think their sins are beyond forgiveness but teach others the kindness of the lord so that they will know that God cares for everyone and will forgive any sin no matter what it might be.
#peace smiley
What is vague is not the Biblical account of this at all. The problem I see is a lot of those who read what is written come with their own predetermined opinions of what is written, rather than allowing that which is written to speak to them instead.

Jesus Christ was in the very place He defined blasphemy against the Spirit of God, speaking to the Pharisees, who were men who believed in God, but did not abide by the laws of God as exactly stipulated. The accusation in question came from the mouths of these believers (Old Covenant), and directed at the person of Jesus Christ, who made it clear that blasphemy, unlike in the Old Covenant, has to be against the person of the Holy Spirit, not against He, Jesus Christ, or even against God Himself. What is vague about that?
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by Kobojunkie: 7:45pm On Oct 25, 2020
shadeyinka2:
You use strong words. A lie is a deliberate falsification of facts.
I don't use strong words... You, however, may feel strongly about the words I use, and that is all you, not me.
shadeyinka2:
Did he falsify the truth of the scriptures?
Yes!
shadeyinka2:
You can't know!
Yes, I can. I know what Scripture says, and can compare what the @OP typed up against what Jesus Christ indeed said.
shadeyinka2:
He said it the way he understands it. Give him the benefit of the doubt and correct in love is my submission!
Here's the thing. There are doctrines and traditions which we are warned against by Jesus Christ Himself, and then there is the truth of God. That it has become a common practice these days for people to formulate, and spread one's own meaning of what is written and taught by Jesus Christ, does not mean Jesus Christ endorses it in any way. Anything that is contrary to what Jesus Christ taught is nothing but a lie.
Re: What Is The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit, The Unforgivable Sin? by templegate: 7:52pm On Oct 25, 2020
The sin against the Holy Spirit is simply ascribing the glory due to God to another deity.
The people accused Jesus of using demonic power (Belzebub )to cast out demons and Jesus called that Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit
In other words, taking God’s glory(or the credit due to the Holy Spirit ) and giving it to satan is blasphemy.
For example, you are healed by the miracle power of the Holy Spirit and you now go to ogun or amadioha shrine to do thanksgiving. That is robbing the Holy Spirit of His credit. That is what Jesus called blesphemy.
You are blessed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Spies Sent To Oyedepo's Church Ran Mad? / Complete Testimony Of Heaven And Hell | New 2013 - Linda Ngaujah Part 1 / Gideon Isah Replies Yanick Aka Over Allegations Against Prophet Fufeyin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.