Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,901 members, 7,828,177 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice (1524 Views)

Salary Scale Of Lecturers In University Of Ibadan / ASUU Strike: What Many Don’t Know About University Lecturers In Nigeria / COZA: "If Girls Sexually Abused By Lecturers In IMSU Come Out...." - Leeroy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by thompson1510(m): 4:05pm On Oct 25, 2020
I plan on becoming a lecturer because it’s gonna give me the opportunity to do other businesses. I graduated 2015 but never for once submitted my CV anywhere because i am self-employed and i have no experience than the one i had during SIWES and Industrial training years back.

I applied for masters at NOUN before the COVID-19 issue started and I don’t know if doing my masters at NOUN( National Open University) might affect me getting a job as a lecturer in any university. Please advice a confused man!!!

Thanks alot. This forum has always been of help anytime i need one!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by ccffwx: 4:51pm On Oct 25, 2020
Studying for a Masters at NOUN will not hinder your lecturing opportunities. You should also consider publishing academic papers in the interim.

6 Likes

Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by sinkhole: 7:20pm On Oct 25, 2020
As advised above wink
Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 25, 2020
I am a lecturer and I will advise you to check carefully if a NOUN MSc degree will not indeed constitute a major problem for you with respect to securing a lecturing appointment, especially as it relates to your field of specialization. For mine it's impossible to get a lecturing appointment, but it's hard to comment about yours since you haven't included this in your post.
Note that in applying to a higher institution for a lecturing job you typically will need to compete against several other applicants. And even when a NOUN degree might not be disqualifying in your field, you should anticipate a situation where several of your competitions hold a more acceptable MSc degree. Some of your competition will also have a PhD degree or will have commenced PhD study, while many of them will have good publication records as well as cognate teaching experience... In such a situation, you would stand no chance whatsoever if merit rules the day at that interview. But if you have a potent alternative to merit, as obtains in many climes in Nigeria these days, then you don't need anyone's advice since you might even secure a lecturing job without having gone to any university in the past. This is not to sound cheeky, this is the experience in different places in Nigeria.

Lastly, joinning the academia in Nigeria with a mindset of absconding to face some other engagements is a sad motivation indeed. There is an old and proud tradition in lecturing and research, one that forces each player to carry his share of the calling and run with it. Full-time calling. You have no business joining the academia if you do not plan to give your all, 100 %, to it.

thompson1510:
I plan on becoming a lecturer because it’s gonna give me the opportunity to do other businesses. I graduated 2015 but never for once submitted my CV anywhere because i am self-employed and i have no experience than the one i had during SIWES and Industrial training years back.

I applied for masters at NOUN before the COVID-19 issue started and I don’t know if doing my masters at NOUN( National Open University) might affect me getting a job as a lecturer in any university. Please advice a confused man!!!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by Samfloxin(m): 8:25pm On Oct 25, 2020
My brother,go and look for a very strong connection. It can be politician, religious leaders like bishop or popular GO, well connected traditional ruler, Professor with connection or in some cases money. Forget about the school you went to, Nigeria no send you. I am a lecturer and my uncle took my CV to the house of the 'VC' while others were busy submitting theirs in the office where loads of CV are abandoned. I know of school people paid 500k and got lecturing job. Heed to this advise and come back and thank me later. If you want to get job on MERIT then come out with first class.

7 Likes

Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by abumeinben(m): 8:44pm On Oct 25, 2020
thompson1510:

Advise No 1: Don't be a lecturer because you want to do other business. Be a lecturer to impact knowledge. Stop desecrating the educational space.

10 Likes

Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by duduade: 8:49pm On Oct 25, 2020
bizme:
I am a lecturer and I will advise you to check carefully if a NOUN MSc degree will not indeed constitute a major problem for you with respect to securing a lecturing appointment, especially as it relates to your field of specialization. For mine it's impossible to get a lecturing appointment, but it's hard to comment about yours since you haven't included this in your post.
Note that in applying to a higher institution for a lecturing job you typically will need to compete against several other applicants. And even when a NOUN degree might not be disqualifying in your field, you should anticipate a situation where several of your competitions hold a more acceptable MSc degree. Some of your competition will also have a PhD degree or will have commenced PhD study, while many of them will have good publication records as well as cognate teaching experience... In such a situation, you would stand no chance whatsoever if merit rules the day at that interview. But if you have a potent alternative to merit, as obtains in many climes in Nigeria these days, then you don't need anyone's advice since you might even secure a lecturing job without having gone to any university in the past. This is not to sound cheeky, this is the experience in different places in Nigeria.

Lastly, joinning the academia in Nigeria with a mindset of absconding to face some other engagements is a sad motivation indeed. There is an old and proud tradition in lecturing and research, one that forces each player to carry his share of the calling and run with it. Full-time calling. You have no business joining the academia if you do not plan to give your all, 100 %, to it.

Gbam

Especially the last paragraph

3 Likes

Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by Abiababe(f): 9:01pm On Oct 25, 2020
Love the advice
Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 25, 2020
It is lecturers who got their appointment through the back door and by visiting the house of politicians who constitute the menace of sex-for-grades and sorting. Those who are lecturers by merit understand the demands and standard of their calling. Kindly perish your advice. We have thousands of sound, and intelligent Nigerians with first class and the discipline demanded of academic career in Nigeria. These are the people we need, and not those who are good at visiting politicians at home without the merit.

Samfloxin:
My brother,go and look for a very strong connection. It can be politician, religious leaders like bishop or popular GO, well connected traditional ruler, Professor with connection or in some cases money. Forget about the school you went to, Nigeria no send you. I am a lecturer and my uncle took my CV to the house of the 'VC' while others were busy submitting theirs in the office where loads of CV are abandoned. I know of school people paid 500k and got lecturing job. Heed to this advise and come back and thank me later. If you want to get job on MERIT then come out with first class.

6 Likes

Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by Samfloxin(m): 9:19pm On Oct 25, 2020
bizme:
It is lecturers who got their appointment through the back door and by visiting the house of politicians who constitute the menace of sex-for-grades and sorting. Those who are lecturers by merit understand the demands and standard of their calling. Kindly perish your advice. We have thousands of sound, and intelligent Nigerians with first class and the discipline demanded of academic career in Nigeria. These are the people we need, and not those who are good at visiting politicians at home without the merit.

Ntooooorrrr, stay there and continue waiting for those with merit and you and them will spend ten years at home after graduation. Your mates are already living in their personal houses and you are here dreaming. You better travel to USA where the system supports your dream.
Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by duduade: 9:36pm On Oct 25, 2020
Samfloxin:

Ntooooorrrr, stay there and continue waiting for those with merit and you and them will spend ten years at home after graduation. Your mates are already living in their personal houses and you are here dreaming. You better travel to USA where the system supports your dream.

Loool
Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by Joiceee(f): 7:20am On Oct 26, 2020
Please can one with HND, PGD, MSC be accepted for a lecturing job?
Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 26, 2020
Joiceee:

The chances are slim but why not try a polytechnic.

1 Like

Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 26, 2020
thompson1510:

Yes but the segregation and belittling will want to make you regret the decision. So I advise you don't.
Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by duduade: 6:16pm On Oct 26, 2020
Joiceee:

HND....

If you going to go into lecturing in a University you will be expected to pursue on to have a PhD

I know most universities don't offer PhD admission to someone who has an HND as first degree... If it's really your passion please go back and re enroll probably for a DE or conversion program to have a B.Sc. degree..

If you don't do this you wasting your time and you will be frustrated...

Like the other person said you can try polytechnics.. Monotechnics..

Have a academia mentor too...

My 2cents

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by thompson1510(m): 8:56pm On Nov 05, 2020
abumeinben:

Advise No 1: Don't be a lecturer because you want to do other business. Be a lecturer to impact knowledge. Stop desecrating the educational space.
I have had other better offers but i rejected them because i just love teaching people stuffs and always feeel like they should just put my brain in their head just to know it. Ain’t doing this for the profit, its just what i have passion for boss.
Thanks alot for the input.
Even if i leave this country, it’s still lecturing i know i have 100% passion for.

I used to be a tutor while i was still in school and I enjoyed it alot and it was free.
Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by abumeinben(m): 6:56am On Nov 06, 2020
thompson1510:

I have had other better offers but i rejected them because i just love teaching people stuffs and always feeel like they should just put my brain in their head just to know it. Ain’t doing this for the profit, its just what i have passion for boss.
Thanks alot for the input.
Even if i leave this country, it’s still lecturing i know i have 100% passion for.

I used to be a tutor while i was still in school and I enjoyed it alot and it was free.

Impressed! But you initial post already told why you're going back to teaching.
Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by ignis: 9:38am On Nov 06, 2020
Please can one get lecturing job with just a BSc degree (Second Class Upper)?
Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by Kufa047: 6:29am On Apr 23, 2021
I have stag beetle for sale
Re: Lecturers In The House, I Need Advice by Kufa047: 6:30am On Apr 23, 2021
I have stag beetle for sale contact me at email ksunday147@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Free Degree / Masters Online / Uniben Postpone Resumption Date / Admission Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.