Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,939 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc (5321 Views)

After 2 Weeks With Xiaomi Mi 11 - 120hz Refresh Rate Or Nothing! / Whatsapp Hanging On Phones Of 6 ND 8gb Of Ram / 4GB Of Ram And 32GB Storage Brand New Smartphone That Costs 31k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Vivien458(f): 9:22pm On Oct 26, 2020
Hello, I am a lady who is a tech lover.. I want to Educate some of my friends, especially ladies, on what and best things to overlook that are just for fancy..

Refresh rates: we hear about 120hz, 90hz refresh rate..sometimes you watch a review and the reviewer will say, the phone only supports 90hz and it's poor etc.. but the truth is, you won't even know if you have 90hz or 120hz. Infact, almost every tv in your house is 60hz, and you won't even notice a single thing..some monitors are 50hz sef and you won't even notice a single difference.
This is just a gimmick, over look it.

Ram; well this is a little bit complicated. Ram is Random access memory.. we see phones having 12gb or Rams, like Samsung phones, etc. 8gb ram, 6gb etc..
What does ram really do?
Well, it is used to run so many applications at same time..it helps keeps some background apps open etc.. how much ram do you need on a smartphone?
4gb ram is sufficient enough for everyday use without noticing a lag..and of course it is normal for phones to get slow over time. Even the 3wgb ram on a desktop can get quite slow when using high demanding ram applications.. don't fall for the 6gb, 8gb or even 12gb. You don't need it. Most and all games will rum at 4gb perfectly.. what you should really look at is the processor and the GPU needed for the games.

Older phones are now outdated; Well this is the most stupid of them all. Example, the Google pixel 4XL is actually better than the pixel 5. The pixel 5 now has a low end GPU and processor..another example is getting a pixel 3a over pixel 3xl or even pixel 2xl.. in terms of raw power, the older pixel where high end phones and the newer is a low end..another example is getting Samsung a50 over Samsung S8. This is a blunder because the s8 was a high end of it time, and processors don't age that fast .a quad-core processor will take you upto 5 to 6 years before you can notice decrease in performance...
Always consider high end phones of older years over low end of newer generations.

4k, 2k and 1080p:
This is another gimmick to sell phones..most users don't own a 2k tv talkless of a 4k. How would you watch the 4k video? This is a welcome technology for the future, but for now. 1080p is still the standard, what you should focus on is if the camera has video stabilization.

Will add up more

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Kiaso(m): 9:51pm On Oct 26, 2020
Vivien458:
Hello, I am a lady who is a tech lover.. I want to Educate some of my friends, especially ladies, on what and best things to overlook that are just for fancy..

Refresh rates: we hear about 120hz, 90hz refresh rate..sometimes you watch a review and the reviewer will say, the phone only supports 90hz and it's poor etc.. but the truth is, you won't even know if you have 90hz or 120hz. Infact, almost every tv in your house is 60hz, and you won't even notice a single thing..some monitors are 50hz sef and you won't even notice a single difference.

Ram; well this is a little bit complicated. Ram is Random access memory.. we see phones having 12gb or Rams, like Samsung phones, etc. 8gb ram, 6gb etc..
What does ram really do?
Well, it is used to run so many applications at same time..it helps keeps some background apps open etc.. how much ram do you need on a smartphone?
4gb ram is sufficient enough for everyday use without noticing a lag..and of course it is normal for phones to get slow over time. Even the 3wgb ram on a desktop can get quite slow when using high demanding ram applications.. don't fall for the 6gb, 8gb or even 12gb. You don't need it. Most and all games will rum at 4gb perfectly.. what you should really look at is the processor and the GPU needed for the games.

Older phones are now outdated; Well this is the most stupid of them all. Example, the Google pixel 4XL is actually better than the pixel 5. The pixel 5 now has a low end GPU and processor..another example is getting a pixel 3a over pixel 3xl or even pixel 2xl.. in terms of raw power, the older pixel where high end phones and the newer is a low end..another example is getting Samsung a50 over Samsung S8. This is a blunder because the s8 was a high end of it time, and processors don't age that fast .a quad-core processor will take you upto 5 to 6 years before you can notice decrease in performance...
Always consider high end phones of older years over low end of newer generations.

4k, 2k and 1080p:
This is another gimmick to sell phones..most users don't own a 2k tv talkless of a 4k. How would you watch the 4k video? This is a welcome technology for the future, but for now. 1080p is still the standard, what you should focus on is if the camera has video stabilization.

Will add up more

You are very intelligent

Would really love to know you

9 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Jagaban880: 10:12pm On Oct 26, 2020
cool
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Dexterfire: 10:28pm On Oct 26, 2020
Well, being a current user of a Poco X3 NFC after upgrading from a Redmi note 8, I would say there is a very noticeable difference between a 60hz phone and a 90hz or 120hz phone both especially in gameplay and overall day to day usage. So IMO you're wrong on that point. tongue

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by MONEY247: 10:56pm On Oct 26, 2020
Vivien458:

What does ram really do?

4k, 2k and 1080p:

Will add up more

If truly you're a lady.....I would love to marry you......
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by scarycuteface(m): 11:04pm On Oct 26, 2020
Nice
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by sajmark(m): 11:06pm On Oct 26, 2020
Dexterfire:
Well, being a current user of a Poco X3 NFC after upgrading from a Redmi note 8, I would say the is a very noticeable difference between a 60hz phone and a 90hz or 120hz phone both especially in gameplay and overall day to day usage. So IMO you're wrong on that point.
there is a difference but the difference can be easily overlooked, a non techy user wouldn't notice nor appreciate a higher refresh rate.

15 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 26, 2020
Simplentons,,,,, tueh!!!

Op you're right,,,,,

Sometimes i wonder say can all this yeye spec be true as they said,,,,,

Those manufacturer always makes it look like the current phone we're using is outdated,,,,

3 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by mytime24(f): 12:48am On Oct 27, 2020
Going back to my 3310 cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Akanimoh113(m): 1:02am On Oct 27, 2020
Vivien458:

What does ram really do?

4k, 2k and 1080p:

Will add up more

Okay
That's very Smart

That Means you play Games smiley
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by femi4: 5:48am On Oct 27, 2020
Vivien458:

What does ram really do?

4k, 2k and 1080p:

Will add up more

I would rather go for processor's quality. You cannot compare Qualcomm to trasson irrespective of the RAM size etc
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by RubiesBanking: 6:11am On Oct 27, 2020
femi4:
I would rather go for processor's quality. You cannot compare Qualcomm to trasson irrespective of the RAM size etc

Your comparing a chipset manufacturing company to a phone manufacturing company. If it's mediatek you mean, theyre also improving on their chipset.

10 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by femi4: 6:13am On Oct 27, 2020
RubiesBanking:

Your comparing a chipset manufacturing company to a phone manufacturing company. If it's mediatek you mean, theyre also improving on their chipset.
yes, I mean mediatek, that what all trasson operates on
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by RubiesBanking: 6:21am On Oct 27, 2020
femi4:
yes, I mean mediatek, that what all trasson operates on

Nah, you will be suprised to know infinix have used a Qualcomm chipset in the past on one of their phones. Besides mediatek is improving, it won't benefit anyone if Qualcomm is the only chip manufacturer in the game. They can decide to slam a huge price tag on their latest chipset since they have no rival.
The redmi note 8 pro and some mid budget phones uses the mediatek g90t which is competing with the Snapdragon 720g.

8 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by MJluv(f): 7:17am On Oct 27, 2020
Op I was expecting you'll also give us your take on the processors, but you just mentioned that in passing.

3 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by harzhan: 7:37am On Oct 27, 2020
Had to log in to reply this. It's a beautiful piece.

However, there's more than a noticeable difference in 60hz and 90hz. Without getting into the science of refresh rates, you can compare 60 & 90hz to the buttery smoothness of the ux an iphone to that of android. The difference here is 90hz is x2 the buttery smoothness of the iPhone. This is something you can only notice when you use the phone.

RAM. In as much as ram is usually sidelined as nothing significant, no 4GB ram will conveniently play modern AAA mobile games. Emphasis on conveniently. For illustration, its like buying a core i7 and Rtx 1080 laptop (top notch GPU and CPU) with a 4GB ram. It'll open the heavy applications but they'll crawl so bad you'll close them. That's why OEMs keep increasing the ram alongside the storage of the phone. Try having over 120apps on your phone with a 4GB ram, you'll hate yourself.

Agreed, this is simply future proof features. However, 4k TVs are replacing most 1080 at an astonishing rate. You don't want to be the guy that'll change his phone in 3years times because he finally got a 4K tv. Btw, 1080p is the standard now, anything below and be sure that you'll be catching pixels at various viewing angles and content.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by durasome(m): 7:49am On Oct 27, 2020
Vivien458:

What does ram really do?

4k, 2k and 1080p:

Will add up more

.quiet educative.
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by theFilmtric: 7:49am On Oct 27, 2020
Dexterfire:
Well, being a current user of a Poco X3 NFC after upgrading from a Redmi note 8, I would say the is a very noticeable difference between a 60hz phone and a 90hz or 120hz phone both especially in gameplay and overall day to day usage. So IMO you're wrong on that point.
Ladies don't play games na

You saw the difference because you needed to see the difference to appreciate your new phone bro
A part of your conciousness wanted to see it
The only way you could really see the difference is when playing games

theFilmtricsay

3 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by fuckboys: 8:04am On Oct 27, 2020
60hz to 90hz refresh rates are very noticeable. Damn I love the fluidity of 90hz and above refresh rates. It gives you that iphone like smoothness or even better. All screen animations Becomes very smooth with no iota of lag.

8 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by KrazyDave16(m): 8:05am On Oct 27, 2020
theFilmtric:

Ladies don't play games na

You saw the difference because you needed to see the difference to appreciate your new phone bro
A part of your conciousness wanted to see it
The only way you could really see the difference is when playing games

theFilmtricsay
I disagree @ bolded.

Ladies DO play games too but they don't show themselves cos of thirsty guys and ho**y teens taking the fun out of it.

And for the second, you're right and wrong.

One doesn't need to see the difference in games, it's there in all functions (scrolling, video playback, games) except the device OEM used variable refresh rate like Apple did the iPad Pro 2018 and OnePlus 8.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by theFilmtric: 8:12am On Oct 27, 2020
KrazyDave16:

I disagree @ bolded.

Ladies DO play games too but they don't show themselves cos of thirsty guys and ho**y teens taking the fun out of it.

And for the second, you're right and wrong.

One doesn't need to see the difference in games, it's there in all functions (scrolling, video playback, games) except the device OEM used variable refresh rate like Apple did the iPad Pro 2018 and OnePlus 8.
Ladies games are not really spec-demanding
When I say games I mean COD,Asphalt 9,PUBG,AutoGridSport,Lonewolf,Mobile legends.etc

theFilmtricsay

1 Like

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by KrazyDave16(m): 8:15am On Oct 27, 2020
OP the difference from 60hz to 90hz is noticeable even to the untrained eye, same applies of moving from 24hz to 50hz using AV and HDMI cables respectively.

The RAM part is controversial. Most games use it as a minimum but said games irl scenarios will crawl as someone stated earlier.

As for 4K Displays, one Word - futureproofing.
Cos phones like Sony packing them on their phones now means when it becomes relevant, you can buy them dirt cheap.
The SD processor and RAM will be a plus so you don't fret over your device slowing down.

5 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by KrazyDave16(m): 8:19am On Oct 27, 2020
theFilmtric:

Ladies games are not really spec-demanding
When I say games I mean COD,Asphalt 9,PUBG,AutoGridSport,Lonewolf,Mobile legends.etc

theFilmtricsay
You'd be surprised at the number of ladies that play these games.

Not as large as the male community but they're there.

6 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by theFilmtric: 8:27am On Oct 27, 2020
KrazyDave16:

You'd be surprised at the number of ladies that play these games.

Not as large as the male community but they're there.
I would love to see ladies that play those games
I like techy ladies

theFilmtricsay

1 Like

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by MrHighSea: 8:28am On Oct 27, 2020
Design.
Just moved from a 2017 entry phone that felt like a piece of rock to a 2020 entry phone with lighter weight and design.

I don't wanna go into details. But 2020 phones have better designs and weight management.

There's always few improvements.

1 Like

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by abumeinben(m): 8:36am On Oct 27, 2020
Higher RAM, "faster" speed. That's how they say it. Especially self acclaimed tech experts like Adamu Garba grin

2 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by SamuelLoch: 8:39am On Oct 27, 2020
Na babe be this, no be Funto. Anything tech or outside of her regular simple contents is already turning her head, the next minute she's on her phone or back to sleep.

OP, nice content but you didn't format it well. Using 'bold', and capital case amongst others would have made it look neat.

I believe what's more important in these age for devices is the capacity to not lag. The most important features (that I can recall right now) for me would be:
1. The clock rate
2. Processor
3. RAM
4. User interface/Colors
5. Body feel & design

My two cents

1 Like

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Ahumanbeing: 8:45am On Oct 27, 2020
Kiaso:

You are very intelligent

"Would really love to know you"

4 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by DaInferno(m): 8:52am On Oct 27, 2020
MONEY247:

ehh God grin , ladies hardly create such threads and immediately one does, men begin to elude strange behaviors. oga, no ves o, but when u speak like this ehn, there head the big abnormally

4 Likes

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by obinna58(m): 9:45am On Oct 27, 2020
Vivien458:

What does ram really do?

4k, 2k and 1080p:

Will add up more

I wanna marry you though I do not quite agree on the fps side, you can notice difference in smoothness.

Fps matters.
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by bigjackass: 9:46am On Oct 27, 2020
Kiaso:

You are very intelligent

MONEY247:

obinna58:

I wanna marry you though I do not quite agree on the fps side, you can notice difference in smoothness.

Fps matters.
Kiaso:

You are very intelligent

MONEY247:

see them undecided
Y'all don't even know what she looks like, whether she's albino , midget , anorexic or baby whale. You want to marry her because she talks tech

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by acenazt: 10:05am On Oct 27, 2020
Still using a 2017 Phone that beats a 2020 infinix and tecno in performance.

They want Bogus numbers not functionality.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. / Airtel Smartrecharge => Get 10x Bonus For Voice And Data / How To Unlock Solo Aspire M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.