Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,354 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc (5383 Views)

After 2 Weeks With Xiaomi Mi 11 - 120hz Refresh Rate Or Nothing! / Whatsapp Hanging On Phones Of 6 ND 8gb Of Ram / 4GB Of Ram And 32GB Storage Brand New Smartphone That Costs 31k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Kunja2: 8:13am On Nov 01, 2020
Vivien458:
Hello, I am a lady who is a tech lover.. I want to Educate some of my friends, especially ladies, on what and best things to overlook that are just for fancy..

Refresh rates: we hear about 120hz, 90hz refresh rate..sometimes you watch a review and the reviewer will say, the phone only supports 90hz and it's poor etc.. but the truth is, you won't even know if you have 90hz or 120hz. Infact, almost every tv in your house is 60hz, and you won't even notice a single thing..some monitors are 50hz sef and you won't even notice a single difference.
This is just a gimmick, over look it.

Ram; well this is a little bit complicated. Ram is Random access memory.. we see phones having 12gb or Rams, like Samsung phones, etc. 8gb ram, 6gb etc..
What does ram really do?
Well, it is used to run so many applications at same time..it helps keeps some background apps open etc.. how much ram do you need on a smartphone?
4gb ram is sufficient enough for everyday use without noticing a lag..and of course it is normal for phones to get slow over time. Even the 3wgb ram on a desktop can get quite slow when using high demanding ram applications.. don't fall for the 6gb, 8gb or even 12gb. You don't need it. Most and all games will rum at 4gb perfectly.. what you should really look at is the processor and the GPU needed for the games.

Older phones are now outdated; Well this is the most stupid of them all. Example, the Google pixel 4XL is actually better than the pixel 5. The pixel 5 now has a low end GPU and processor..another example is getting a pixel 3a over pixel 3xl or even pixel 2xl.. in terms of raw power, the older pixel where high end phones and the newer is a low end..another example is getting Samsung a50 over Samsung S8. This is a blunder because the s8 was a high end of it time, and processors don't age that fast .a quad-core processor will take you upto 5 to 6 years before you can notice decrease in performance...
Always consider high end phones of older years over low end of newer generations.

4k, 2k and 1080p:
This is another gimmick to sell phones..most users don't own a 2k tv talkless of a 4k. How would you watch the 4k video? This is a welcome technology for the future, but for now. 1080p is still the standard, what you should focus on is if the camera has video stabilization.

Will add up more

Thanks for this. Learnt something new today
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Kunja2: 8:14am On Nov 01, 2020
femi4:
I would rather go for processor's quality. You cannot compare Qualcomm to trasson irrespective of the RAM size etc
what's this one saying?
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Kunja2: 8:17am On Nov 01, 2020
RubiesBanking:

Nah, you will be suprised to know infinix have used a Qualcomm chipset in the past on one of their phones. Besides mediatek is improving, it won't benefit anyone if Qualcomm is the only chip manufacturer in the game. They can decide to slam a huge price tag on their latest chipset since they have no rival.
The redmi note 8 pro and some mid budget phones uses the mediatek g90t which is competing with the Snapdragon 720g.
don't mind that guy. He only wants to argue
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Kunja2: 8:22am On Nov 01, 2020
Stallion93:
OP you got some things wrong especially the old high ends vs new mid/low range phones. The new iPhone SE 2020 carries the Bionic A14 chip but it's a new mid range, It surely outperforms the old Flagships in fluency of running apps and of course will live past them
it is relative. It's not like it's all old devices that have higher chipset than the new ones. It's just relative.
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by investigator007: 2:51pm On Nov 01, 2020
nice read, i still dey enjoy my tecno phone for this corner
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by investigator007: 2:52pm On Nov 01, 2020
oga calm down, tecno dey comot beta phones now, have you seen the likes of the Camon 16 premier?
acenazt:
Still using a 2017 Phone that beats a 2020 infinix and tecno in performance.

They want Bogus numbers not functionality.
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by BenDanor(m): 10:24pm On Nov 01, 2020
Vivien458:
Hello, I am a lady who is a tech lover.. I want to Educate some of my friends, especially ladies, on what and best things to overlook that are just for fancy..

Refresh rates: we hear about 120hz, 90hz refresh rate..sometimes you watch a review and the reviewer will say, the phone only supports 90hz and it's poor etc.. but the truth is, you won't even know if you have 90hz or 120hz. Infact, almost every tv in your house is 60hz, and you won't even notice a single thing..some monitors are 50hz sef and you won't even notice a single difference.
This is just a gimmick, over look it.

Ram; well this is a little bit complicated. Ram is Random access memory.. we see phones having 12gb or Rams, like Samsung phones, etc. 8gb ram, 6gb etc..
What does ram really do?
Well, it is used to run so many applications at same time..it helps keeps some background apps open etc.. how much ram do you need on a smartphone?
4gb ram is sufficient enough for everyday use without noticing a lag..and of course it is normal for phones to get slow over time. Even the 3wgb ram on a desktop can get quite slow when using high demanding ram applications.. don't fall for the 6gb, 8gb or even 12gb. You don't need it. Most and all games will rum at 4gb perfectly.. what you should really look at is the processor and the GPU needed for the games.

Older phones are now outdated; Well this is the most stupid of them all. Example, the Google pixel 4XL is actually better than the pixel 5. The pixel 5 now has a low end GPU and processor..another example is getting a pixel 3a over pixel 3xl or even pixel 2xl.. in terms of raw power, the older pixel where high end phones and the newer is a low end..another example is getting Samsung a50 over Samsung S8. This is a blunder because the s8 was a high end of it time, and processors don't age that fast .a quad-core processor will take you upto 5 to 6 years before you can notice decrease in performance...
Always consider high end phones of older years over low end of newer generations.

4k, 2k and 1080p:
This is another gimmick to sell phones..most users don't own a 2k tv talkless of a 4k. How would you watch the 4k video? This is a welcome technology for the future, but for now. 1080p is still the standard, what you should focus on is if the camera has video stabilization.

Will add up more

Nice write up I must say. Hard to see this coming from a female in this section.
Meanwhile, I believe the refresh rate stuff has been sorted out because there's certainly a difference between a 60Hz and 90Hz even if it's not too obvious, but at least it's there.
And for the RAM, if you're someone who doesn't like apps shutting off before you get back to them later, then buying a smartphone that has loads of RAM should certainly be important to you. But if you can manage or if you don't allow many apps to linger in the background, then buying a 4GB RAM smartphone will save you cost. And importantly, knowing the generation of the RAM also matters.
For gaming, in my opinion, I think flagship processors like the Snapdragon 865+ and Apple Bionic A13 are also to be considered as gaming chipsets even if the manufacturer does not slam the 'G' alphabet to the name or code number.
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Stallion93(m): 7:57pm On Nov 03, 2020
Kunja2:
it is relative. It's not like it's all old devices that have higher chipset than the new ones. It's just relative.
Mostly for android phones, the new midrange chipset SD765G Outperforms old flagship chipsets
Re: Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc by Kunja2: 12:44pm On Nov 04, 2020
Stallion93:
Mostly for android phones, the new midrange chipset SD765G Outperforms old flagship chipsets
that's my point.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Waptrick - No More Java Games / Streaming Settings. / LIST Of Android Phones That Support BBM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.