Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? (1040 Views)

Africa Needs To Ditch Religion To Take Their Rightful Place / What Is Spiritual Work For The Tetragrammaton Pentagram? / End Time: China Ready For 'bloody Battle' To Regain Rightful Place In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Preciousgirl(f): 3:03pm On Oct 29, 2020
What is the Tetragrammaton?

How is it rightfully pronounced?

What is the History underpinning the Tetragrammaton?

Thank you
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by illicit(m): 3:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
YHWH

The pronunciation is lost....

No vowel sounds between the consonants so it's hard to know the pronunciation....

Some call it Yahweh, some Jehovah....

The name Jesus, Joshua are one and same.... the original pronunciation is lost as well....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by MuttleyLaff: 4:58pm On Oct 29, 2020
Preciousgirl:
Tetragrammaton is a set of descriptor words about God, that is used to assuredly express the certainty of ''I AM" carrying the speaking sense of God, being the Being with infinite capabilities (i.e. infinite ability to do anything, infinite ability to be anything, infinite capacity to understand and respond to any situations et cetera)

The Tetragrammaton, is defining the limitless iterability of the Beingness of God (i.e. illogical and logical possibilities of who, whom, and what God can be, also where and when God can be)

Preciousgirl:
It linguistically, is pronounced, vocalised or articulated as Yahweh.

Preciousgirl:
The Tetragrammaton, in fact and actually, is a composition of Hebraic four letters, namely Y, H, W and H. These four Hebraic four letters form the Hebrew word, from which the Hebraic four letters are transliterated as YHWH and are linguistically, pronounced, vocalised or articulated as Yahweh.

Preciousgirl:
Thank you
To Yah be the Glory
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Samunique(m): 5:08pm On Oct 29, 2020
illicit:
YHWH

No vowel sounds between the consonants so it's hard to know the pronunciation....

The name Jesus, Joshua are one and same.... the original pronunciation is lost as well ..

Pls the name name Jesus and Joshua may sound alike but they share no similarity in the way they're spelt.

This is Joshua : יְהוֹשֻׁעַ .... Yehoshua

This is Jesus : ישוע ...... yeshua

And it's erroneous for you to say the original pronunciation is lost.

though different races may pronounce the name in different ways but that doesn't mean the original pronunciation of Jesus name in His native tongue in longer existing .

1 Like

Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by illicit(m): 5:11pm On Oct 29, 2020
Samunique:

Pls the name name Jesus and Joshua may sound alike but they share no similarity in the way they're spelt.

yeah yeah yeah

the spelling changed over a long period of time but the meaning remains the same....

The vowels were inserted by scholars, the old texts usually contain no vowel hence no one can say how it's pronounced exactly....

the same YHWH pronounced Yahweh is pronounced Jehovah by witnesses....

no one knows the right pronunciation....

in the old testament, God's name is forbidden to be mentioned.

So in writing, these four letters were used to represent Him. they are not meant to be pronounced.

remember the commandment that said, thou shall not call the name of the Lord your God in vain, it is really literal.

No one pronounces the letters hence nobody these days knows how to pronounce it.

God's name wasn't meant to be called....
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by MuttleyLaff: 5:23pm On Oct 29, 2020
illicit:
YHWH

The name Jesus, Joshua are one and same.... the original pronunciation is lost as well....

Samunique:

though different races may pronounce the name in different ways but that doesn't mean the original pronunciation of Jesus name in His native tongue in longer existing .

illicit:
yeah yeah yeah

the spelling changed over a long period of time but the meaning remains the same....

The vowels were inserted by scholars, the old texts usually contain no vowel hence no one can say how it's pronounced exactly....
Yahshua Ha Mashiach aka Jesus Christ, has it, where "Yahshua" means "Yah saves" or "God saves" in effect carrying the meaning that Salvation comes from God
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by illicit(m): 5:27pm On Oct 29, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Yahshua Ha Mashiach aka Jesus Christ, has it, where "Yahshua" means "Yah saves" or "God saves" in effect carrying the meaning that Salvation comes from God

Correct

They both mean Saviour
something to that effect....
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Samunique(m): 5:29pm On Oct 29, 2020
illicit:

yeah yeah yeah

Yea, all Hebrew letters are consonants but that doesn't , the native hebrew speaking people cannot pronounce some words without the vowel marks.

Remember that the modern hebrew writers no longer include those vowel marks in the writings.

which means correct pronunciations of many words are very possible, with the exception of the holy name of God whose pronunciation we are not sure of.... יְהוָה יהוה YHWH/YHVH .
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Samunique(m): 5:31pm On Oct 29, 2020
illicit:

Correct

They both mean Saviour
something to that effect....

correct !

God saves or God is my salvation .

1 Like

Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by illicit(m): 5:33pm On Oct 29, 2020
Samunique:
Yea, all Hebrew letters are consonants but that doesn't , the native hebrew speaking people cannot pronounce some words without the vowel marks.

Remember that the modern hebrew writers no longer include those vowel marks in the writings.

which means correct pronunciations of many words are very possible, with the exception of the holy name of God whose pronunciation we are not sure of.... יְהוָה יהוה YHWH/YHVH .

Yes

the reason being that, God's name wasn't meant to be pronounced. it's is forbidden.
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Samunique(m): 5:45pm On Oct 29, 2020
illicit:

yeah yeah yeah

the same YHWH pronounced Yahweh is pronounced Jehovah by witnesses....

no one knows the right pronunciation....

in the old testament, God's name is forbidden to be mentioned.

So in writing, these four letters were used to represent Him. they are not meant to be pronounced.

remember the commandment that said, thou shall not call the name of the Lord your God in vain, it is really literal.

No one pronounces the letters hence nobody these days knows how to pronounce it.

God's name wasn't meant to be called....
Yeah, as per the holy name of God I totally agree with you sir!

God bless your wisdom !

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Samunique(m): 5:47pm On Oct 29, 2020
illicit:

Yes

the reason being that, God's name wasn't meant to be pronounced. it's is forbidden.
yeah, agreed !
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Samunique(m): 5:56pm On Oct 29, 2020
@illicit

John 17:6
[6]I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

What can you say about the above scripture, where the Lord Jesus said He has manifested God's name, which name is He referring to here, since we cannot actually pronounce this name as it were?

Remember the same Jesus asks us to hallow God's name in the Lord's prayer.
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by illicit(m): 6:00pm On Oct 29, 2020
Samunique:
@illicit

[6]I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

What can you say about the above scripture, where the Lord Jesus said He has manifested God's name, which name is He referring to here, since we cannot actually pronounce this name as it were?

I was referring to old testament....

Jesus came and nullified some of the commandments....

Remember that he was accused of blasphemy.

It's a Jewish law not christain regulation.
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by fiyinfoluwa29093: 6:04pm On Oct 29, 2020
What is the Tetragrammaton? How is it rightfully pronounced?What is the History underpinning the Tetragrammaton?Thank you
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by MuttleyLaff: 8:21pm On Oct 29, 2020
Samunique:

You pronounce יְהוָה יהוה, YHWH/YHVH as linguistically, pronounceable as anyone possibly can vocalise or articulate the letters

illicit:
Yes

יְהוָה יהוה, and alternatively, YHWH/YHVH neither, are God's name. יְהוָה יהוה, and alternatively, YHWH/YHVH are in fact expressive descriptors conveying a profound verbal, written and recorded communique

As a matter of biblical fact and truth, God's name wasn't meant to be known, talks be pronounced, not because it is forbidden to pronounce, but it is because God never divulged what His personal name is.

Three times God's name was asked. Three times what the name is was declined. It is impossible to pronounce a name that was never given or a name that was not revealed what the name is.

God never said anywhere His name is forbidden to say, but it was the Jew, taking that stand, position and/or measure in trying to safeguard against any of them inadvertently violating the "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain" third commandment
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by MuttleyLaff: 8:22pm On Oct 29, 2020
fiyinfoluwa29093:
Thank you

MuttleyLaff:
Tetragrammaton is a set of descriptor words about God, that is used to assuredly express the certainty of ''I AM" carrying the speaking sense of God, being the Being with infinite capabilities (i.e. infinite ability to do anything, infinite ability to be anything, infinite capacity to understand and respond to any situations et cetera)

The Tetragrammaton, is defining the limitless iterability of the Beingness of God (i.e. illogical and logical possibilities of who, whom, and what God can be, also where and when God can be)

It linguistically, is pronounced, vocalised or articulated as Yahweh.

The Tetragrammaton, in fact and actually, is a composition of Hebraic four letters, namely Y, H, W and H. These four Hebraic four letters form the Hebrew word, from which the Hebraic four letters are transliterated as YHWH and are linguistically, pronounced, vocalised or articulated as Yahweh.

To Yah be the Glory
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by illicit(m): 9:03pm On Oct 29, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
You pronounce יְהוָה יהוה, YHWH/YHVH as linguistically, pronounceable as anyone possibly can vocalise or articulate the letters

יְהוָה יהוה, and alternatively, YHWH/YHVH neither, are God's name. יְהוָה יהוה, and alternatively, YHWH/YHVH are in fact expressive descriptors conveying a profound verbal, written and recorded communique

As a matter of biblical fact and truth, God's name wasn't meant to be known, talks be pronounced, not because it is forbidden to pronounce, but it is because God never divulged what His personal name is.

Three times God's name was asked. Three times what the name is was declined. It is impossible to pronounce a name that was never given or a name that was not revealed what the name is.

God never said anywhere His name is forbidden to say, but it was the Jew, taking that stand, position and/or measure in trying to safeguard against any of them inadvertently violating the "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain" third commandment

Thou shall not call the name of thy Lord they God in vain....

don't that mean that there is a name. for the God

But no one must use it.

YHWH is the graphological representation of 'I am'

When Moses asked God that what was he to say, if the israelites and pharaoh asked that who sent him, God replied that he is 'I am that I am'

That is infact is God's name and the israelites forbid anyone to use the name, so it was....
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Samunique(m): 9:27pm On Oct 29, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Pls throw more light on the bold. How is God's name not to be known ?

Pls compare and contrast this following scripture where God clearly told Moses His name in Exodus 6:3.

Exodus 6:3
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty ( El Shadai ) but by my name JEHOVAH ( יהוה) was I not known to them.

Isn't God revealing His name to Moses here ?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by MuttleyLaff: 10:12pm On Oct 29, 2020
illicit:
Thou shall not call the name of thy Lord they God in vain....

don't that mean that there is a name. for the God

But no one must use it.
Tbh with you "Thou shall not call the name of thy Lord they God in vain...." actually means dont bring whatever the personal name of God represents in to disrepute

Of course God has a name, but the Bible clearly on at least three occasions refused to reveal what God's personal name is. The Bible politely gives the reason for not saying what God's name, and that is because the name is wonderful, meaning it is impossible to understand, is not able to be understood and/or it is incomprehensible. Hearing what the name is, will render the hearer, dumbfounded, lost for words and effectively speechless. The name is hidden, is a secret because it's meaning is beyond comprehension and it's a name that works miracles. the closest anyone will get to knowing or feeling what the name is will be through the expressive "I AM that I AM,” descriptor declaration

Is "illicit" by any way, your personal name? Of course you have a personal name, of which clearly, "illicit" is not that in any way what your personal name is

Affirmative, no one must know the name. No one must use it, so that the name won't run the risk of being put to wrong use, from being misused, abused or even confused up with another name

illicit:
is the graphological representation of 'I AM'
The graphological representation of 'I AM' is not God's personal name

'I AM', as I previously had shared, in fact, is an expressive descriptors conveying a profound verbal, written and recorded communique that God is a blank cheque. He is, fill in the infinite blanks. God will be whatever legitimately and legally necessary is required for God to be

illicit:
Moses asked God that what was he to say, if the Israelites and Pharaoh asked that who sent him, God replied that He is 'I AM that I AM'
"9Now, listen carefully! The cry of the Israelis has come to my attention about how severely the Egyptians have been oppressing them.
10So go! I am sending you to Pharaoh. Bring my people the Israelis out of Egypt.”
11But Moses told God, “Who am I? How can I go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelis out of Egypt?”
12Then Godi said, “I certainly will be with you. And this will be the sign for you that it is I who sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, all of you will serve God on this mountain.”
13Moses told God, “Look! When I go to the Israelis and tell them, ‘The God of your ancestors sent me to you,’ they’ll say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What should I say to them?”
14God replied to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM,” and then said, “Tell the Israelis: ‘I AM sent me to you."
"
- Exodus 3:9-14

Please review the two questions put out in Exodus 3:13 and compare with the answer given in Exodus 3:14

God, intentionally disregarded and completely declined to say anything in reply to the first question of Exodus 3:13, but clearly only gave a response to just the second question of Exodus 3:13. The first question "What is his name?” was ignored, but to the second question " What should I say to them?” God's response was saying, an expressive "I AM WHO I AM,” descriptor declaration and then advising Moshe aka Moses to say to the Israelites that he was sent to them by: "I AM"

illicit:
That is infact is God's name and the israelites forbid anyone to use the name, so it was....
Please tell me who you are. Please tell me what your name is. Please tell me in a sentence what your Nairaland user ID name is. Thanks in advance for granting these easy, simple, innocent, harmless, point blank and straight forward requests

cc: Samunique
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by MuttleyLaff: 10:37pm On Oct 29, 2020
Samunique:
Pls throw more light on the bold. How is God's name not to be known ?

Pls compare and contrast this following scripture where God clearly told Moses His name in Exodus 6:3
Pls compare and contrast Exodus 3:13 and Exodus 3:14 and review with Exodus 6:3

Samunique:
Exodus 6:3
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty ( El Shadai ) but by my name JEHOVAH ( יהוה) was I not known to them.

Isn't God revealing His name to Moses here ?
Talking of Exodus 6:3, compared with the patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, we are in a privileged and peculiar standing with God. Why? It is because the patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, only knew God as El-Shaddai or God Almighty, meaning that, God was revealed to them only, as an Influential Being having complete power but not as God reveals to us that by the descriptor Yahweh and essentially that He will be "I AM that I AM" for us, which He demonstrated to the Israelites throughout the liberation and journey to the Promised Land. He was the water giving Rock. He was a pillar of cloud during the day shielding the Israelites and a pillar of fire at night protecting them et cetera

It is miraculous things like that is what God wants to be renowned for, is what God wants to be talked about and be famous for. God in Exodus 6:3, is saying that, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob experienced Him as God Almighty, but they never experienced Him, never saw Him, never tasted Him as "I AM that I AM" "I SHALL BE that I SHALL BE" "I SHALL BECOME that I SHALL BECOME" Whatever it was necessary for God to legitimately and legally become, He did for the Israelites to be freed from slavery in Egypt and to inherit the Promised Land in Canaan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by illicit(m): 5:58am On Oct 30, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
Tbh with you "Thou shall not call the name of thy Lord they God in vain...." actually means dont bring whatever the personal name of God represents in to disrepute

Of course God has a name, but the Bible clearly on at least three occasions refused to reveal what God's personal name is. The Bible politely gives the reason for not saying what God's name, and that is because the name is wonderful, meaning it is impossible to understand, is not able to be understood and/or it is incomprehensible. Hearing what the name is, will render the hearer, dumbfounded, lost for words and effectively speechless. The name is hidden, is a secret because it's meaning is beyond comprehension and it's a name that works miracles. the closest anyone will get to knowing or feeling what the name is will be through the expressive "I AM that I AM,” descriptor declaration

Is "illicit" by any way, your personal name? Of course you have a personal name, of which clearly, "illicit" is not that in any way what your personal name is

Affirmative, no one must know the name. No one must use it, so that the name won't run the risk of being put to wrong use, from being misused, abused or even confused up with another name

The graphological representation of 'I AM' is not God's personal name

'I AM', as I previously had shared, in fact, is an expressive descriptors conveying a profound verbal, written and recorded communique that God is a blank cheque. He is, fill in the infinite blanks. God will be whatever legitimately and legally necessary is required for God to be

"9Now, listen carefully! The cry of the Israelis has come to my attention about how severely the Egyptians have been oppressing them.
10So go! I am sending you to Pharaoh. Bring my people the Israelis out of Egypt.”
11But Moses told God, “Who am I? How can I go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelis out of Egypt?”
12Then Godi said, “I certainly will be with you. And this will be the sign for you that it is I who sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, all of you will serve God on this mountain.”
13Moses told God, “Look! When I go to the Israelis and tell them, ‘The God of your ancestors sent me to you,’ they’ll say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What should I say to them?”
14God replied to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM,” and then said, “Tell the Israelis: ‘I AM sent me to you."
"
- Exodus 3:9-14

Please review the two questions put out in Exodus 3:13 and compare with the answer given in Exodus 3:14

God, intentionally disregarded and completely declined to say anything in reply to the first question of Exodus 3:13, but clearly only gave a response to just the second question of Exodus 3:13. The first question "What is his name?” was ignored, but to the second question " What should I say to them?” God's response was saying, an expressive "I AM WHO I AM,” descriptor declaration and then advising Moshe aka Moses to say to the Israelites that he was sent to them by: "I AM"

Please tell me who you are. Please tell me what your name is. Please tell me in a sentence what your Nairaland user ID name is. Thanks in advance for granting these easy, simple, innocent, harmless, point blank and straight forward requests

cc: Samunique

When pharaoh asked Moses who sent him, what did Moses say?

What did pharaoh say again? pharaoh said he hasn't heard of anyone with such name....

if I sent u an errand for example, then I ask u to tell whoever I sent u to that corper sent u, if the person has prior knowledge of me, they might easily recognise which particular corper u mean. as there are many corpers.

But if the person has never met me or didn't know which particular corper, the person will ask, which corper? then u will use my name i.e corper Tope or the corper that do wear black shade....

If I am sending u on a formal business, I will give you my real name , wether the person I am sending u to recognise or not,that's my name for future reference....

Pharaoh was a powerful king (god) he would have demanded straight answers from Moses, didn't u see that Moses was initially scared to go meet him.... giving pharaoh equivocal answers would have endangered his life....
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by orisa37: 8:25am On Oct 30, 2020
illicit:
YHWH

You have to study

YORUBA

GREEK

HEBREW

LATIN AND

ENGLISH TO KNOW SOMETHING.
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by orisa37: 8:28am On Oct 30, 2020
illicit:
YHWH

You have to study

YORUBA

GREEK

HEBREW

LATIN AND

And be legitimate.
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by illicit(m): 8:34am On Oct 30, 2020
orisa37:

You have to study
YORUBA
GREEK
HEBREW
LATIN AND
And be legitimate.

I studied Linguistics sir.
Thank you.
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Emusan(m): 9:06am On Oct 30, 2020
Samunique:
@illicit

Can you show us JUST ONE SINGLE PLACE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT where Jesus make use of the NAME?

We can ask:

What does Manifestation mean?
What does HALLOW mean?
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Samunique(m): 9:12am On Oct 30, 2020
Emusan:

Can you show us JUST ONE SINGLE PLACE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT where Jesus make use of the NAME?

We can ask:

What does Manifestation mean?
What does HALLOW mean?

It's very funny how you try to answer my question with questions .

Can you pls shed some light on the question if you have any .

Thanks !
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Emusan(m): 10:00am On Oct 30, 2020
Samunique:

It's very funny how you try to answer my question with questions .

Can you pls shed some light on the question if you have any .

Thanks !

The reason I did that was that, Jesus didn't use the name of God throughout His stay on earth.

Which then means Manifesting and Hallow God's name isn't the literal four Tetragrammaton Jesus was talking about in those verses.

Notice how some translations put that verse:

CEV: You have given me some followers from this world, and I have shown them what you are like. They were yours, but you gave them to me, and they have obeyed you.

EXB: “I ·showed what you are like [ revealed your name; God’s reputation/character] to ·those [ the people] you gave me from the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have ·obeyed your teaching [kept your word].

MSG: I spelled out your character in detail To the men and women you gave me.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible: Have manifested thy name - The word "name" here includes the attributes or character of God. Jesus had made known his character, his law, his will, his plan of mercy - or, in other words, he had revealed God to them. The word "name" is often used to designate the person, John 15:21; Matthew 10:22; Romans 2:24; 1 Timothy 6:1

On Matthew 6:9
Ellicott's commentary:
Hallowed be thy name.—The first expression of thought in the pattern prayer is not the utterance of our wants and wishes, but that the Name of God—that which sums up all our thoughts of God—should be “hallowed,” be to us and all men as a consecrated name, not lightly used in trivial speech, or rash assertion, or bitterness of debate, but the object of awe and love and adoration. The words “Jehovah, hallowed be His name,” were familiar enough to all Israelites, and are found in many of their prayers, but here the position of the petition gives a new meaning to it, and makes it the key to all that follows.

Benson Commentary: Hallowed be thy name — The name of God is a Hebraism for God himself, his attributes, and his works. To sanctify a thing is to entertain the highest veneration for it, as true, and great, and good, and to manifest that veneration by our dispositions, words, and actions. Thus it is used 1 Peter 3:15; Isaiah 8:13.

Barne's Note on the Bible: Hallowed be thy name - The word "hallowed" means to render or pronounce holy. God's name is essentially holy; and the meaning of this petition is, "Let thy name be celebrated, venerated, and esteemed as holy everywhere, and receive from all people proper honor." It is thus the expression of a wish or desire, on the part of the worshipper, that the name of God, or that God himself, should be held everywhere in proper veneration.

And if you have any contrary opinion you can bring it forth.
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by orisa37: 10:53am On Oct 30, 2020
illicit:

Thank you.

Then you are legitimate.
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by orisa37: 10:56am On Oct 30, 2020
illicit:

Thank you.

Then you are legitimate. You are Allah, Jehovah and Jesus.
Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by Samunique(m): 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2020
Emusan:

The reason I did that was that, Jesus didn't use the name of God throughout His stay on earth.

Which then means Manifesting and Hallow God's name isn't the literal four Tetragrammaton Jesus was talking about in those verses.

Notice how some translations put that verse:

CEV: You have given me some followers from this world, and I have shown them what you are like. They were yours, but you gave them to me, and they have obeyed you.[/b]

EXB: “I ·showed what you are like [ revealed your name; God’s reputation/character] to ·those [ the people] you gave me from the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have ·obeyed your teaching [kept your word].

MSG: I spelled out your character in detail To the men and women you gave me.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible: Have manifested thy name - The word "name" here includes the attributes or character of God. Jesus had made known his character, his law, his will, his plan of mercy - or, in other words, he had revealed God to them. The word "name" is often used to designate the person, John 15:21; Matthew 10:22; Romans 2:24; 1 Timothy 6:1

On Matthew 6:9
Ellicott's commentary:
Hallowed be thy name.—The first expression of thought in the pattern prayer is not the utterance of our wants and wishes, but that the Name of God—that which sums up all our thoughts of God—should be “hallowed,” be to us and all men as a consecrated name, not lightly used in trivial speech, or rash assertion, or bitterness of debate, but the object of awe and love and adoration. The words “Jehovah, hallowed be His name,” were familiar enough to all Israelites, and are found in many of their prayers, but here the position of the petition gives a new meaning to it, and makes it the key to all that follows.

Benson Commentary: Hallowed be thy name — The name of God is a Hebraism for God himself, his attributes, and his works. To sanctify a thing is to entertain the highest veneration for it, as true, and great, and good, and to manifest that veneration by our dispositions, words, and actions. Thus it is used 1 Peter 3:15; Isaiah 8:13.

Barne's Note on the Bible: Hallowed be thy name - The word "hallowed" means to render or pronounce holy. God's name is essentially holy; and the meaning of this petition is, "Let thy name be celebrated, venerated, and esteemed as holy everywhere, and receive from all people proper honor." It is thus the expression of a wish or desire, on the part of the worshipper, that the name of God, or that God himself, should be held everywhere in proper veneration.

And if you have any contrary opinion you can bring it forth.

Thanks !

I think I'll agree with the bold, considering John 1:18 that says "No one has ever seen God but His Son has revealed who He is, that's, manifesting His essence and whole character most especially, as a true loving God."

Not exactly the way He was sometimes portrayed by the old testament preachers, as a hash, uneasy to please and ever demanding God which was a misconstrue of His real nature.

Jesus actually manifested the loving nature aspect of God while also warning us of His just nature which is, "His righteous judgement over all evil and wickedness of man and the fallen Angels.

Whereas, the old testament preachers did not have much understanding about His true nature, which is LOVE !
Hence Jesus statements in John 17:6 that "I have manifested thy name," and by this he has thus fulfilled John 1:18.

Thanks so much !

I think I agree with your expectations.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Tetragrammaton? What Is Its Rightful Pronunciation? by DappaD: 3:26pm On Oct 30, 2020
Samunique:

Thanks !

I think I'll agree with the bold, considering John 1:18 that says "No one has ever seen God but His Son has revealed who He is, that's, manifesting His essence and whole character most especially, as a true loving God."

Not exactly the way He was sometimes portrayed by the old testament preachers, as a hash, uneasy to please and ever demanding God which was a misconstrue of His real nature.

Jesus actually manifested the loving nature aspect of God while also warning us of His just nature which is, "His righteous judgement over all evil and wickedness of man and the fallen Angels.

Whereas, the old testament preachers did not have much understanding about His true nature, which is LOVE !
Hence Jesus statements in John 17:6 that "I have manifested thy name," and by this he has thus fulfilled John 1:18.

Thanks so much !

I think I agree with your expectations.

What do you mean by ‘Old Testament preachers’ if I may ask?

(1) (2) (Reply)

JUST-IN: RCCG General Overseer, Adeboye, Loses First Son. See Picture / "Naira Marley "And The "Influence Of Immoral Songs" In Our Society. / The concept of Elohim (God/gods) In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.