Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! - Satellite TV Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! (12778 Views)

Multichoice Dstv In Trouble With Nigeria Over Outrageous Subscription Fee / How To Fix DSTV Problem Of Channels Not Displaying After Subscription Solved / STARTIMES DECODER Now 7,000 Naira PLUS 1 MONTH FREE SUBSCRIPTION (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by steeviee(m): 9:46am On Mar 16, 2011
steeviee:

heard Hitv has lost UCL to DStv.

Looks like it's confirmed. DStv has won the right to show Champions league from next year.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by seunlayi(m): 9:59am On Mar 16, 2011
EPL NO BE FOOD, CHAMPIONS LEAGUE NO BE CLOTH and DSTV no be shelter,
if dem like make dem put am for 100,000.00. E no be my business.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by seunlayi(m): 10:03am On Mar 16, 2011
EPL NO BE FOOD, CHAMPIONS LEAGUE NO BE CLOTH and DSTV no be shelter,
if dem like make dem put am for 100,000.00. E no be my business. How many hours man wan take siddon infront of T.V set. sad
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by delegiwa(m): 10:28am On Mar 16, 2011
The increase in confirmed y'all!

Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by GeorgeD1(m): 10:53am On Mar 16, 2011
for those who know their way, i don't think there's anything to cry about. viva fta! smiley
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by SALady(f): 11:04am On Mar 16, 2011
An increase, are the serious? I mean what the heck for since the only thing they are good for is is to repeat the same programmes month after month and year after year.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by smartiee: 11:18am On Mar 16, 2011
A colleague of mine just got an email from DSTV, confirming the increment. It sure is a shame.
They sure have hit the self destruct-botton. 9ija, it is high-time we denounce developments like this.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by segunfms(m): 11:37am On Mar 16, 2011
if they like make dem increase to N20,000 per month na dem sabi. all this thing they are doing to us in our country nobody can do it to them in south-africa.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by Sensicut(m): 1:20pm On Mar 16, 2011
If den lik make dem increase am to 80.000 no be my business and is not there fault its our gorvement that make dem impose on us because in south africa dear card is pre paid wen dear charging us higher here in nigeria.i no one day it wil come to an end
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 16, 2011
They only added about N300 and you guys are wailing, moaning and groaning. I don't blame the DSTV officials, they have really mastered the 'art of war', appear dumb to your enemy when you're about to attack. Do you think they have not weigh the pros and cons of this decision of theirs? Nothing can be done against them because they dominate and control the market. When they even lost the EPL rights, they didn't even reduced their monthly payment. So, why the fury now against them?
Going through their package and comparing it with other ones in Nigeria, I rate them the best. And for anyone to match them will take years of serious planning and execution.

For those who have eyes and can see beyond their line of sight, many alternatives are on ground.
That's all I can say for now.

As for me and my loved ones, we belong to the &*^%$ side
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by ahf(m): 2:05pm On Mar 16, 2011
1 March 2011

Dear Valued Subscriber

RE: Annual subscription price increase for DStv

Please be advised that MultiChoice Nigeria annual subscription price increase will become effective 1 April 2011. In determining a price increase MultiChoice takes into account many factors including, and amongst others, the impact on the subscriber, operational costs, satellite lease costs, programming costs and efficiencies effected within the company.

Please see new DStv subscription pricing below:

Premium Bouquet: N9,500 to N10,300
Premium Bouquet + Asian: N11,500 to N12,420
Access Fee *: N1,200 to N1,800

* This applies in a case of Dual View installation.

However, for the first three months DStv will be discounting the new DStv Premium subscription price by N300 per month which means you will only pay N10,000 for April, May and June 2011 after which the full price of N10,300 will be billed. This initiative is being undertaken to relieve the pressure of the price increase to our loyal DStv Premium subscribers.

DStv continues to provide world-class home television entertainment, news and sports programming in line with the best digital pay television platforms worldwide.

We are most grateful for your continued support and will continue to provide a service that is consistent, efficient, and accessible.

Yours sincerely

Joseph Hundah
Managing Director
MultiChoice Nigeria
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by indeminity: 2:39pm On Mar 16, 2011
Lets Face it grin They r the best cos No competition! so we ve to bear with it.

Premium is going to be N10,000.00 from 1st April from July N10,300

cry
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by verbena: 4:28pm On Mar 16, 2011
Nigerians, if they increase and you cannot watch abeg buy hi tv. You people talking government , south Africa , men anywhere in this world if a country has a monopoly of something they would capitalise on it abi them tell una say dstv na charity. men its as simple as, if u cant pay dont watch. nobodys forcing u, its a free country , shu one talk Government, the other one say south africa cheesy , please government cannot do anything bout it , given the rising costs in nigeria dont u think that their costs have gone up to.

Abeg jor Nigerians always feel they are being cheated yet if they're the ones at the top of that industry they'd drive us all to our graves. see wt dangote is doing with cement , to be honest with you if our local stations were any good dstv would be 5k as then it wouldn't be a necessity just a luxury.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by eghost247(m): 4:32pm On Mar 16, 2011
Suggest you all try out our own HITV
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by princeparis(m): 4:49pm On Mar 16, 2011
I love Nigeria, i no go lie na inside am i go live and live, (Singing and dancing)
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by yemoxtra(m): 5:15pm On Mar 16, 2011
Guyz lets be honest with ourselves poor power supply, high level competition in the Nigerian market which led to paying high amount of cash for football rights and upgrades to mpeg4/hd channels = +N300 is not that bad it just simply means take it or leave it we are in control now.
Uefa champs,EPL,NPL,BBA and more additional channels. if it was hitv i guess for all this packages + the hd channels na 15k and above cos with only football and some nonsense 6k. Well at least we can still watch 2 to 3 epl matches in our homes with out the fear of the channels going blank like in the time of hitv, court case court case here and there at the end thier pocket enter red and lost the epl right. proudly Nigerian thier pocket.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by Lukenzo: 8:59pm On Mar 16, 2011
HITV all the way, DSTV is just selling their name and the brand. It's time to sweep them out with indigenous cables.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by lagoshost(m): 8:55am On Mar 17, 2011
Lukenzo:

HITV all the way, DSTV is just selling their name and the brand. It's time to sweep them out with indigenous cables.

Ok, so which one do we promote now?
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by lacidi: 9:08am On Mar 17, 2011
I think we should, as educated people, check our information before making insinuations of exploitation. One of the posters had alledged that DSTV was exploiting Nigerians because it (DSTV) is a South African compnay. Out of curiousity, I went to the DSTV SA website and I found the following:

http://care.dstv.com/main.aspx?ID=2134

MultiChoice would like to advise all DStv and analogue customers that from 1 April 2011, the monthly subscription fees will increase. Wherever possible, the increases have been kept to a minimum.

We want to thank you for your support during the past year.
DStv Premium from R529.00 to R559 (5.6% increase)
DStv Compact R232.00 to R246.00 (6% increase)
DStv Select R149.00 to R157.00 (6% increase)

This shows that the increase also covers SA. Now the Premium Bouquet in Nigeria is increasing from 9500 to 10300. The SA Premium Bouquet is increasing from the Naira equivalent of 11,902 to 12,577 (@exchange rate of N22.5 to 1 Rand)

Simply put, we in Nigeria pay lower subscription rates than SA and even Ghana. Any claims of country exploitation is therefore totally unfounded. What we need is competition, that's the only way to drive down costs.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by agali200: 9:37am On Mar 17, 2011
good calculation bro competition makes it differ 4 Niger to enjoy their money
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by verbena: 10:38am On Mar 17, 2011
Damn lacidi, tell em o. Nigerians , snh. Our biggest problam is our love for awuff
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by hasyak(m): 2:13pm On Mar 17, 2011
just got this mail thot i share with all here

17 March 2011

Dear Valued Subscriber

Re: Annual Subscription price increase for DStv

It has come to our attention that there are some queries around the DStv subscription price increase that comes into effect on 1 April, and we would like to ensure that the truth is communicated to you, our valued subscriber. Most of all we would like to reassure you of our best intentions and reaffirm our commitment to Nigeria, which is clearly demonstrated through our continuous investments in the country.

In the last 5 years we have only had one price increase 18 months ago. Since then, despite the high inflation rate averaging around 11.95%, we have not increased subscription prices until now. Our current subscription price increase percentage is well below the inflation average with a 5 to 8% increase on DStv Premium bouquet.

Additionally, we have added a total of 18 new channels over the last 18 months to the DStv bouquets, thus giving you, our subscriber, even more value and choice than ever before. These channels include channels made in Nigeria and showcased in Africa - displaying Nigeria's ingenuity and artistry; these include AfricaMagic Yoruba, AfricaMagic Hausa, NN24 and Sound City. The range of newly launched international channels includes Discovery World, iConcerts and Afro Music.

Over and above this, MultiChoice is the only operating pay TV company that has invested in the latest television technology with High Definition (HD) television and launched the following channels - M-Net HD, SuperSport HD, i-Concerts HD, Discovery Showcase and SuperSport HD Extra - thus ensuring that Nigeria is up there with the best internationally in terms of access to the latest television experience and technology. The introduction of HD channels and the HD PVR decoder has revolutionized the television viewing experience of our subscribers. But that is not the end of our increased offering - in April we intend to add another three exciting new channels; so please keep a look out for these announcements.

There is currently no other pay television company in Nigeria that has made as much investment in the production of local content and infrastructure. Over the last three years the business has invested over $100 million in the coverage of Nigerian sports, including basketball and football; has bought the latest outside broadcast (OB) vans to show live events, built studios and trained technicians. Our investment has not only been in sport, but also in Nigerian productions such as Tinsel, Naija Sings, Jacobs Cross, Comedy Club live in Lagos, Moments with Mo and Jara. We are also excited about the upcoming Big Brother Africa which has made many Nigerian stars!

Our mission is to make pay television accessible to all Nigerians and to offer our subscribers a range of DStv bouquets which deliver both world class Nigerian and international content. We have stuck to this mission and our lowest cost bouquet - DStv Access - currently offers more channels than our nearest rival's premium bouquet for only N1,500.

There has also been propaganda in the market that the price in Nigeria is more expensive than other countries, we would like to point out that Nigeria's subscription of $66 is 21% less than the subscription paid in South Africa which is currently R559 ($80.12) (SA has had annual increases). It is also important to note that the DStv service in Nigeria has the most number of channels, including HD and Nigerian channels.

MultiChoice Nigeria is a Nigerian company and is the only pay television operator that has put significant investments into the upliftment and development of communities - this we have done through our schools projects and support of the Sickle Cell Foundation. We have also helped build sustainable small and medium businesses around the industry with the financing and training of a DStv SuperDealer network which are owned and operated regionally by independent Nigerian entrepreneurs to support the DStv customer experience for you, our valued subscribers.

DStv has been in Nigeria for 15 years and has made massive investments to enable us to provide a world-class home television entertainment experience, we have many exciting new plans for the future to ensure you receive the best possible experience from DStv. In order to ensure the continued viability of our business and a marginal return on the investments that we have made, and are continuing to make, we unfortunately have to increase subscription prices from time to time. As has happened, we have always endeavoured to keep these as low as possible, whilst giving you so much more.

We are most grateful for your continued support and will continue to provide a service that is consistent, efficient, and accessible.

Yours sincerely

Joseph Hundah
Managing Director
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by aljero: 4:24pm On Mar 17, 2011
Hi All,

I strongly suggest we look for a way forward rather than blabbing about it; we should be discretionary about this and at the end it will be victory all. i really appreciate we make meaningful contribution on how to end this selfish monopoly. Apparently, i dont see any reasons behind the increase and besides DSTV disregards its customer by growing behind our back to intimate unscrupulous distributors about the increase without even convening a forum for customers.
One major reason why i feel the hike is unnecessary, unreasonable & unpatrotic is that considering the epilectic state of the country power supply: the customer bores more expenses than this selfish DSTV but can anyone tell how often does he/she watches his DSTV without using a genset? coupled with our expenses on fuels and genset maintenance. angry
Collegues have read the thread, i realised somebody in the house is a programmer we can start from there or we can take a proactive step by switch off our DSTV for a month & see if they can control our pocket to pay the subscription.
We can also send messages to Nigerian through other means i dont any idea to help us succed in this monopoly war but we all know that some Nigerians a stubborn to such cause that WHY NIGERIA IS THE WAY IT IS TODAY, It about sacrificing our aim for a good cause. Please lets all make proactive & aggressive measures to end this SA Monopoly on Nigeria. cool
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by Abayomin70(m): 4:59pm On Mar 17, 2011
this is insane
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by GeorgeD1(m): 7:03pm On Mar 17, 2011
10k is even too small. they should shoot it up to 15k/month. what are they waiting for? grin
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by verbena: 8:36am On Mar 18, 2011
@ aljero

is the fact ur watching dstv with gen their problem, grow up men. If you cant pay , dont watch. Its not a necessity its a luxury, if u know watch EPL u no go die.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by sdeguru: 11:29am On Mar 18, 2011
I was shocked when i went to the bank to pay my monthly subscription and i was informed that the fares will be increased from April 2011.
with the arrival of new pay TV's like startimes, i wonder what made them increase thought it is only N300 extra for all.
Which way Nigeria
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by aljero: 3:13pm On Mar 18, 2011
Abayomin70:

this is insane
@ Abayomin70, i tink ur brain lack the magnitude to make meaningful contribution to this topic so i suggest ur go play with Love Machine, gay cool

verbena:

@ aljero
is the fact your watching dstv with gen their problem, grow up men. If you cant pay , dont watch. Its not a necessity its a luxury, if u know watch EPL u no go die.

@verbena, i guess u didtnt understand my post, i know your type u act like u have it all but i very sure u r living a pretext life .i can afford powering my genset without any constraints & point of correction one doesnt need to grow to power genset but you need money since you are not matured enough to know that.

In a forum like this, i expect people to be reasonable enought in making suggestion not commenting like kids simply because some of them may be working for DSTV or may have relative paying their school fees.

B
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by lagoshost(m): 9:12am On Mar 19, 2011
This is a big war! When I started this thread, I never knew it will attract so much post, Really Nigerians need a change.

Lets fight for what we want,
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by Nobody: 11:34am On Mar 19, 2011
Hey, some folks are really taking this personal. Now lets look at it this way. DStv are not the only satelite TV we have today. Besides you could pay 1000,2500 or 4500 and go to a beer parlour every weekend to watch games. I mean they have other available price options. Now, if u watch games outside, u could spend like 2000 every weekend resulting to 8000 a month. Lets be realistic, HItv had the chance to deliver but they failed, besides DStv is paying a lot of money for this football rights and they have to get it back. When HItv were showing EPL, there was a very important match they had probblems annd the whole country missed the 1st half, but with DStv such things rarely happens. They might have a reason for adding 300. Trust me, they pay their own bills too and they obviously work tirelessly to make sure we get the best quality service. I dont work with them, but I,m impressed with their quality service and I can overlook 300, if u cant, seek other options period.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by segunfms(m): 12:51pm On Mar 19, 2011
point of correction, Dstv add N500 not N300 for the next 3 month and will increase it to N800 from july. people are paying N9,500 for premium b4 and now it will be N10,000 from 1st of april and N10,300 from july.
Re: Dstv To Increase Their Subscription Fee! by soloqy: 3:05am On Mar 25, 2011
Which one be this naira party advert with naked woman again? The owner of that site is so desperate to attract people to that place that he has to use a naked person for advert?

Anyways, forgive the rant. Back to the topic: It seems I will have to dust my HITV decoder and smartcard. What about this Infinity that they have been advertising? Anyone know what its about?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stable IPTV Provider / How Ro Track Startimes / Tv1 Cccam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.