Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Learning Android Development(diary) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Learning Android Development(diary) (1745 Views)

Learning Android Development(journal) / Are You Interested In Learning Android, Hop In / Which Programming Language Is Best And Suitable For Android Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa12345: 7:02pm On Nov 05, 2020
After spending up to four months learning Java, I finally decided to stop for now and start learning Android development. Due to the large size of Android studio, I was yet to start. So when I finally had enough sub to download and set up the environment , I started today...

I'm learning with Head first Android development...

What I learnt today

Well... Basically all I did today was to set up my environment but I have an idea of what activity and layout is...

Activity is the actions of the app while layouts describes the appearance of the screen

I'm practicing with my phone and my laptop...

With my fone, I was able to build my first app

With my laptop, I was able to build(according to HeadFirst)but I'm not able to run it because I can't create an Android virtual device due to sub issues... I'll do that 2moro Sha...
By the way.. I'm having issues with my activity_main.xml... I expected to see a code editor but I saw a design editor... I'm getting to understand it sha

My First app with my fone

1 Share

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Brukx(m): 8:47pm On Nov 05, 2020
Following...
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by clockwisereport: 11:55pm On Nov 05, 2020
@Etinosa12345, which IDE is this?
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa12345: 7:34am On Nov 06, 2020
clockwisereport:
@Etinosa12345, which IDE is this?

Java nide
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by clockwisereport: 7:52am On Nov 06, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Java nide
ok thank you
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by spoilerx: 8:21am On Nov 06, 2020
You don't need a virtual device.
You can run it on your Android phone.

1 Like

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa12345: 8:56am On Nov 06, 2020
spoilerx:
You don't need a virtual device.

You can run it on your Android phone.

I want to learn with the laptop Incase of when I'm working
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by spoilerx: 12:11pm On Nov 06, 2020
Etinosa12345:

I want to learn with the laptop Incase of when I'm working

Even with work you eventually have to run whatever you build on real android devices rather than d emulator

3 Likes

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by parkervero(m): 5:31pm On Nov 06, 2020
Etinosa12345:
After spending up to four months learning Java, I finally decided to stop for now and start learning Android development. Due to the large size of Android studio, I was yet to start. So when I finally had enough sub to download and set up the environment , I started today...

I'm learning with Head first Android development...

What I learnt today

Well... Basically all I did today was to set up my environment but I have an idea of what activity and layout is...

Activity is the actions of the app while layouts describes the appearance of the screen

I'm practicing with my phone and my laptop...

With my fone, I was able to build my first app

With my laptop, I was able to build(according to HeadFirst)but I'm not able to run it because I can't create an Android virtual device due to sub issues... I'll do that 2moro Sha...
By the way.. I'm having issues with my activity_main.xml... I expected to see a code editor but I saw a design editor... I'm getting to understand it sha

My First app with my fone

You won't enjoy your learning with Java N IDE instead use AIDE. You will be able to add libraries to the build, it works like AS. The only thing it does not support is new features in Android development such as Jetpack features.
As for the book, I have read HFAD it's a great book but the latest version doesn't touch most Android components especially Content provider. At the end of the book you see the topics that are not covered(you must know content provider if your aim is to work for a company, that's the first question you will be challenged with during interview) . There are other books I will recommend. All the books I want to recommend I have read them. HFAD 2nd edition, Android programming: Big Nerd Ranch 3rd and (4th edition is in kotlin), Android Cook book (from different authors), Android studio development essential edition 3.0 ~4.0, The Busy coder for Android 9 (it is a great reference book). I have tons of books I have not read both on Android and Spring boot. The learning curve is steep but it's fun and enjoyable.

The basics is key. Happy coding!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa1234: 8:07am On Nov 08, 2020
So today I got to solve some issues that was holding me on Android studio... I'm even getting used to it unlike the first time I installed it

Before now, my AVD refused to work but someone on nl encouraged me to use my fone as it would be better. On My laptop, I can only write code and see the blueprint but not on an emulator so I also code along with my fone

So what I learnt today
The app I am learning to create with the instructions of HeadFirst is the beer adviser app

While getting to create this, I came across some terms in android that helped me in creating this app
1)linear layout is used to display GUI component next to each other either vertical or horizontal.if its vertical, they are displayed in a single row

2) android:id ;- this gives the component an identifying name
3) wrap_content means it should be just enough to enclose the content
4) match_parent means it should be as wide as the layout containing it
5) spinner is the Android name for a dropdown list of values
I had to stop here due to external distraction..

Well this is my progress on the app so far

1 Like

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by spoilerx: 11:20am On Nov 09, 2020
You are doing well so far.

Keep pushing.

Add kotlin along too, it is easy to pick up.

and Google has a lot of free kotlin / android course on udacity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa1234: 4:10pm On Nov 10, 2020
Trying to reply some posts here but keep getting banned for no reason...

Well, I'm through with my first app... And I quite understand a lot of things... At first it was difficult but as time went on, I get to understand how it works..

So I am now on the third chapter and this is about multiple activities and intents

I'm not through yet but I've learnt a few things and halfway through my app

I learnt that each activity must have its own layout
Any activity not in android manifest.xml will not run because the system doesn't know it exist
Intents is used to communicate btw activities.. An activity sends an intent to Android which in turn sends the intent to the intended activity...

Well this is my progress in my messenger app (using two activities)
I've not yet done the second activity so that it will display the message typed in the first activity that's why the page is just blank

For some reason this code refuses to work on java N-ide but it works on Android studio

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa1234: 9:55pm On Nov 10, 2020
So today I got to finish the 3rd chapter today. It was exciting as I have now finished 3 apps with less stress. I just hope Android development will be this easy

So what I learnt today was more abt using intent to interact with activities. Previously I knew how to use intents to interact with other specified activities but now I know how to use intents to interact with other apps in the user phone.

This is used with the code Intent intent = new Intent(action) where action is what you want android to perform

Well this is my completed messenger app

2 Likes

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa1234: 2:59pm On Nov 12, 2020
Today/yesterday I learnt abt the activity lifecycle...

Got to know abt methods like onStart, onStop, onCreate,onResume and the likes...

While understanding them, I learnt how to use it in my code while creating my stopwatch app...

But the issue is that as I'm learning them, I tend to forget or misunderstand the previous topics that I've learnt except I go over them again

2 Likes

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa1234: 3:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
By the way, since I've developed 4 apps, can I now call myself a an Android developer

7 Likes

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa1234: 7:34pm On Nov 16, 2020
Omo, nepa delayed my progress Sha. Since when the national grid collapsed, I have not been able to continue my study as my laptop battery was not strong. So programming for Friday was cancelled. As at Saturday, there was still no light till around 4pm. So I had to struggle to do a bit of learning for the day but it was hampered when I couldn't find out how to add pictures to my layouts. It was so stressful Sha Esp as the build refused to run. Well I got it figured out already. Couldn't also study yesterday as our prepaid card finished and got an error when we tried loading it

Well I got to know abt frame layouts and the fact that they are used to overlap views

I also got to do the assignment in the book

2 Likes

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa1234: 6:10pm On Nov 17, 2020
Today's learning was a little bit stressful. Got to find out abg constraints layouts. Learnt how to use the design editor in my layouts. But the end results was somewhat confusing.. on my android studio, the blueprints show the layouts are okay but on my phone. It seems jam-packed

I later got to correct it using infer constraints.. its not perfect now but I believe it will get better over time

First pic was when it was jam-packed.. second is when I corrected it

1 Like

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa1234: 1:00pm On Nov 20, 2020
Omo... Learning Has been stressful this past days... I'm just moving forward believing time will make me understand it better...

This period.. I was learning abt list views and adapters but it was cut short when I started having problems with my gradle.. it's been solved already Sha....

Well... I've already know how to use the list views and array adapters but I'm still confused at how we got to the last activity..... I used the other methods but the last activity didn't display

Hopefully someone can explain for me

This was what I was able to get through the tutorial but I didn't get what I intended to get

1 Like

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa1234: 5:22pm On Dec 01, 2020
Its been Long since I wrote here sef... So many stress and one unproductive argument coming my way through out last week tho(if dem continue, I ready to fire back Sha Lol)..

I was even having error in one of my codes be4 that I had to seek help ... thankfully it's solved ..

Well... I just concluded a chapter abt fragments... It wasn't easy tho... But I still believe in time to understand...

I learnt how activity is used to reference fragments through the getSupportFragmentManager method

Fragments methods are almost similar to the ones of activity but they ain't the same
Fragments are mainly reusable code... according to what I learnt.

Also found out abt the list fragments that is used for lists and it saves time well...

Well this is what I was able to accomplish according to my tutorials

2 Likes

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 02, 2020
You are doing well. I am learning Android development too.

1 Like

Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa1234: 4:59pm On Dec 02, 2020
ivumar:
You are doing well. I am learning Android development too.

What are u doing now?... Like which topic
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by kulkris(m): 7:37am On Dec 03, 2020
following
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Nobody: 6:59am On Dec 04, 2020
Etinosa1234:

What are u doing now?... Like which topic

I'm trying to build my first app.
A to-do list app just for learning sake though.
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa12345: 7:41am On Dec 04, 2020
ivumar:

I'm trying to build my first app.
A to-do list app just for learning sake though.
With android studio?
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 04, 2020
Etinosa12345:

With android studio?

Yeah....
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa12345: 8:29am On Dec 04, 2020
ivumar:

Yeah....
Pls for how long have u been learning?
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Nobody: 8:33am On Dec 04, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Pls for how long have u been learning?
For like 3 / 4 months but I've been very inconsistent.
Re: Learning Android Development(diary) by Etinosa12345: 2:02pm On Dec 04, 2020
ivumar:

For like 3 / 4 months but I've been very inconsistent.
Ohhh.. what were ur learning materials?

I was hoping I could learn in a month and start doing project to enhance my skills

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Church Management System / The Complete Web Developer Course! / Dll File Interpretation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.