Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,861 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

United States Electoral College Explained - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / United States Electoral College Explained (49854 Views)

U.S. Electoral College Begins Voting / DonaId Trump: I Will Give up Power If Electoral College Votes Biden In December / US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by agabusta: 10:31am On Nov 06, 2020
alexistaiwo:
Electoral College is too alien and complex for Nigerians to understand so I will break it down in local context for them to understand in simple terms using Nigeria regions as an example.

Instead of the present system of presidential elections where the Kardashians of the North will just release astronomical figures to negate electoral lead to miraculously swing victory the way of their preferred candidate, they will have a fixed number of Electoral College votes determined by their number of federal representatives.

So if Kano like, let them let cows and infants votes and churn out 10 million votes, all their preferred candidate will get is the Electoral College votes of the state.

If I am being honest, this system would have been perfect for a multi-ethnic large population country like Nigeria.

Kano with its large population will still have more electors than other states.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by agabusta: 10:33am On Nov 06, 2020
Kccheechy:
Trump will win. All that is happening now is just to expose the fraud and those behind it in the electoral system... Mind you, the Homeland Security put watermarks on valid ballots!!! So they can identify the valid ballots from the fake ones!! Trump is a genius for coming up with such an idea!!! Somewhere in Virginia, 100,000 votes belonging to Trump were discovered not to be counted. A lot would be revealed in the coming days but I'm sure Trump will win!!!

Homeland security how?

Did you think the ballots used in this election are centrally produced and distributed?
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by kunlegboye(m): 10:34am On Nov 06, 2020
[quote author=Minjim post=95740886]We need this in Nigeria in order to neutralize to an extent the huge popula[color=#550000][/color]tion of illiterate and unenlightened voters of the North[/quote

Definitely you don't understand anything about how this system works!...The more populated an area is the more important they are politically...Population is even more important to them
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 06, 2020
Sunisonflex39:
Is it only me that thinks that this electoral college setting is easy vote buying.. A president can walk up to a governor or so and pay him so and so dollars to vote for him.. At least this one will be easier than going over to the citizens to share tradermoni farmermoni feedingmoni and all sort of nonsense moni we have here in Nigeria..

Just grease the governor's palm, he does the manipulation for you like the democrats are doing now.

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Nobody: 10:37am On Nov 06, 2020
Sure but the advantage will be minimal compared to what is obtainable in this present system.

agabusta:

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by komodapson(m): 10:39am On Nov 06, 2020
Lamasta:
Wow so its not by highest number of votes by electorates that's interesting...
I just want TRUMP to win that's all

You love to watch comedy&cartoons...

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Preshob(m): 10:39am On Nov 06, 2020
dollarsplenty:
Electoral College is anti democracy, it suppresses the people's will.

Note: For those mentioning me out of context, if few electors have more power than the real population, then what is the essence of people's power? When 538 electors have more power than over 300million people.

Before you answer, think about the real definition of democracy.

It doesn't, judging from the fact that states with a higher population gets higher electoral voters and if a candidate polls the highest number of votes in a particular state then he/she wins the electoral votes for that state......so it more or less shows the choice of the people although it's more of a winner takes all stuff
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by agabusta: 10:40am On Nov 06, 2020
alexistaiwo:
Sure but the advantage will be minimal compared to what is obtainable in this present system.

yes, that's accurate.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Tareq1105: 10:40am On Nov 06, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:

And what makes you think that Biden winning the election will even change things that Trump couldn't or marred?

Leave them.

Talk is very cheap. I give Joe 3 yrs after which Americans will start to abuse him.

The same way we put all our trust in Buhari in 2015 with high hope.

So, I don't expect much difference bcoz experience have taught me not to put my trust in anyone born of a woman especially a politician.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Lamasta(m): 10:42am On Nov 06, 2020
komodapson:

You love to watch comedy&cartoons...
You watch horror movies a lot pls reduce it
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Preshob(m): 10:43am On Nov 06, 2020
agabusta:

Yes but they'll also be limited by a certain number of electoral votes which a candidate can make up for from other states(depending on his win ratio) not the astronomical figures they keep churning out every election year
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Preshob(m): 10:47am On Nov 06, 2020
byrron:

All northern states will have a minimum of 50 electoral college members while the other regions will have 10, 15 and 18 electoral college member's which will give the northern states the ability to decide who becomes the president of Nigeria.

The electoral college is an undemocratic antiquated system were the votes of the people doesn’t elect the president but choses those that goes on to elect the president.

Just imagine what quota system has done to Nigeria then imagine what having an electoral college will be like in Nigeria.[/i]

You're exaggerating right 50 what?? no state in America even have up to 50 electoral college votes including the big states like New York, California, Texas etc. Yes most northern states will have a higher electoral voters but it won't be that much and it can be countered if a candidate is able to win a greater number of states
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by 2nattie(m): 10:51am On Nov 06, 2020
Sunisonflex39:
Is it only me that thinks that this electoral college setting is easy vote buying.. A president can walk up to a governor or so and pay him so and so dollars to vote for him.. At least this one will be easier than going over to the citizens to share tradermoni farmermoni feedingmoni and all sort of nonsense moni we have here in Nigeria..

Haba! The people over there are not like people over here. They are not hungry

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by sojfarm: 10:52am On Nov 06, 2020
Trump will not like the USA House of Rep to determine his fate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

Please justify your thoughts with proofs. What are wrong with it and how do you propose it be fixed

The Electoral College should have been abolished years ago. It is archaic and displaces the votes of millions of Americans.

Often the argument for keeping this system is that people in big cities would always elect the President. This is simply false.

Abolishing the electoral college would allow 3rd parties to actually have footing, and Presidential candidates would actually spend time in more than just the current swing states.

People are tired of the duopoly of Republicans and Democrats, and while I don't see the two-party system disappearing overnight with the abolition of the EC, it would be an important first step.

NY State isn't all Democrats, and Florida isn't all Republicans.

Americans would have their voices be heard without the depression of voting that the Electoral College encourages.

No solid blue or red states would increase voter turnout, and if anyone is worried that there wouldn't be a clear winner in this situation, a rank choice voting system could be implemented as well.

Americans deserve to have their votes count instead of being discarded because of this ancient winner-take-all system.

Lastly, The EC was created because the founders didn’t trust the populace to make an educated decision, so they put the power in the hands of the EC voters, who were supposed to be more elite. How does that compare to the system today?

Are the people still incapable of making educated decisions today which was one of the factors that led to the creation of the EC?

Why don't the EC go ahead and vote amongst themselves and choose who becomes the president without me standing in the line for solid 5 hours just to cast my vote when in actuality it doesn't get the president elected but determines the EC vote?

Do you know how frustrating that is?

Haven't the US constitution been amended in various times by expunging some of the contents that were drafted by the founding father's which are no longer relevant in today's world and realities?

It confuses me that we still have the electoral college system in place when it is obviously now outdated and undemocratic.

Every other election besides the presidential election is decided by popular vote. Shouldn’t the most important election in the US be decided by the whole of the population?

People who argue that the electoral college should be kept in place because the founders wanted it that way should also remember that the founders also wrote slavery into the Constitution and the Constitution after so many years got amended and expunged slavery from it, then why can’t the constitution also be amended and get rid of the electoral college?

The EC has outlived it's usefulness and antiquated

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by kunlegboye(m): 10:55am On Nov 06, 2020
I was even told that they adopted that system of voting because of the blacks minority at that time.a way of rendering their voting useless in America. Was done so the minority votes would not directly count at the end.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by samuelpeters(m): 11:00am On Nov 06, 2020
agabusta:

No sir. Read again to understand.

States with high population will still have higher electoral college. Though their influence will reduce a bit.

For example, if we are to use this system in Nigeria, Kano will have 27 electors while Ebonyi will have 9 electors.

It would make the elections too tensed at the states. As the person who wins a state will take all the electors for that state.
Maybe it will favour Nigeria if we do not go with the "winner takes it all".
That means even if kano has 27 electors, APC may win 17 while PDP wins 10. This is the only way it would make all states important.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by lizdammy: 11:02am On Nov 06, 2020
smiley
wunmi590:

Thank you for refreshing our memories again OP.

We already know this before.

Both the popular vote and the electoral vote, Biden is coasting to victory and he would be declared the new POTUS, either trump likes it or not.

Trump condemned mail voting, and all sought, forgetting that was part of what made him won his first election .

He should please go and rest in his house, the Americans are done with him, tey don't want him anymore.

Please if you are close to trump, tell him to honorably and stylishly copied our dear GEJ and call Biden to congratulate him peaceful so that him and his son won't go to jail.

Most especially his son
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Mires: 11:03am On Nov 06, 2020
Zontage:
United States Electoral College Explained

As prescribed in the U.S. Constitution, American presidents are elected not directly by the people, but by the people's electors. The Electoral College was created by the framers of the U.S. Constitution as an alternative to electing the president by popular vote or by Congress. If it were by popular vote or who gets the most votes, Hillary Clinton would have won in 2016 and Joe Biden would have been declared winner by now. Biden has also received the most votes of any president in American history. Whomever reaches the 270 electoral votes will be officially declared winner. In this system, Trump still has a chance of winning.

The United States Electoral College is a name used to describe the official 538 Presidential electors who come together every four years during the presidential election to give their official votes for President and Vice President of the United States.The Constitution leaves states to decide how electors will vote. It began In 1804, 12th Amendment to the Constitution made sure that electors designate their votes for president and vice president, but the 12th Amendment leaves in place a tie breaking system established by the Constitution by which the House of Representatives breaks a tie on presidential electoral votes and the Senate.

The election of the president of the United States is a two-step process. First, voters cast ballots on Election Day in each state. In nearly every state, the candidate who gets the most votes wins the "electoral votes" for that state, and gets that number of voters (or "electors"wink in the "Electoral College." In the Electoral College system, each state gets a certain number of electors based on its total number of representatives in Congress. Each elector casts one electoral vote following the general election; there are a total of 538 electoral votes. The candidate that gets more than half (270) wins the election.

What happens if no candidate gets enough electoral votes?Pursuant to the 12th Amendment, the House of Representatives is required to go into session immediately after the counting of the electoral votes to vote for president if no candidate for the office receives a majority of the electoral votes. ... The House continues balloting until it elects a president.

Who sits on the Electoral College? The president and vice president of the United States are elected by the Electoral College, which consists of 538 electors from the fifty states and Washington, D.C. Electors are selected state-by-state, as determined by the laws of each state.

Addendum: Electoral College is a system born of compromise deeply rooted in America's slavery foundation. I will explain this in my subsequent post.

Thank you.

Source: Maria Ude Nwachi

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2862531247403118&id=100009388131283

Thanks so much to the writer. I have been exploring google to understand it all to no avail. Thanks also to you who brought it here. May your days be long.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Nobody: 11:05am On Nov 06, 2020
Preshob:

You're exaggerating right 50 what?? no state in America even have up to 50 electoral college votes including the big states like New York, California, Texas etc. Yes most northern states will have a higher electoral voters but it won't be that much and it can be countered if a candidate is able to win a greater number of states

In an Ideal world, I will acknowledge that i was exaggerating but in Nigeria, there is nothing like exaggerating because every unthinkable type of absurdity is already happening in Nigeria.

If you have a quota system that has been in place in Nigeria for decades then what's impossible in having 50 electoral college members for each northern states in Nigeria when they have done and established things that are more than 50 electoral college members equivalent for each northern states in Nigeria?

It is also obvious that you know very little about America if not, you would have known or researched online and then get to know that the state of California have 55 electoral college votes.

Nigeria is a theater of absurdity where everything is a possibility with little to zero resistance.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 06, 2020
Cholls:
my brother olodo ni e o. There are more illetrate in the North than South. So, it's South that the college system of voting favor.

Try to read and comprehend before rushing to make a comment that potrays you as someone dimwitted.

What is the relevance of your comment to my assertions?
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by 2nattie(m): 11:12am On Nov 06, 2020
Tareq1105:

I think this in-mailed votes is dangerous to American democracy.

I remember it was not used when Obama was elected in 2008. We all watched it live.

Obama was declared winner around 3.30 am (Nigeria) and he addressed Americans and the world before some people woke up in the morning in Nigeria.

Now, today is the 4th day and they're still counting.

American should avoid anything that might bring her electoral system into disrepute.

Also, Trump should respect the wishes of Americans.

I think the reason for these amounts of mail-in votes in the states is because of the COVID-19 pandemic. People were given the opportunity to cast their votes with lower risks of contracting the virus. Also note that in 2016, Trump benefitted immensely from this type of voting
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 11:13am On Nov 06, 2020
dollarsplenty:
Electoral College is anti democracy, it suppresses the people's will.

Note: For those mentioning me out of context, if few electors have more power than the real population, then what is the essence of people's power? When 538 electors have more power than over 300million people.

Before you answer, think about the real definition of democracy.
well this 538 people voted based on what their people voted for the context of setting up the electoral college is for equity not equality, at least their had been over hundreds of proposal to abolish the system which hasn't scale through Congress . you can consider the definition of democracy .
NB not Abraham Lincoln definition.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 11:16am On Nov 06, 2020
2nattie:

I think the reason for these amounts of mail-in votes in the states is because of the COVID-19 pandemic. People were given the opportunity to cast their votes with lower risks of contracting the virus. Also note that in 2016, Trump benefitted immensely from this type of voting
which type of voting those this context means? mail in votes , was there any kind os such mail in vote in 2016 ? trump won through electoral college apparently .
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 11:20am On Nov 06, 2020
Preshob:

sorry to chip this in the state of California has 55 electors please do research. it not exaggerating it the fact.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by onlyfacts: 11:22am On Nov 06, 2020
byrron:

The Electoral College should have been abolished years ago. It is archaic and displaces the votes of millions of Americans.

Often the argument for keeping this system is that people in big cities would always elect the President. This is simply false.

Abolishing the electoral college would allow 3rd parties to actually have footing, and Presidential candidates would actually spend time in more than just the current swing states.

People are tired of the duopoly of Republicans and Democrats, and while I don't see the two-party system disappearing overnight with the abolition of the EC, it would be an important first step.

NY State isn't all Democrats, and Florida isn't all Republicans.

Americans would have their voices be heard without the depression of voting that the Electoral College encourages.

No solid blue or red states would increase voter turnout, and if anyone is worried that there wouldn't be a clear winner in this situation, a rank choice voting system could be implemented as well.

Americans deserve to have their votes count instead of being discarded because of this ancient winner-take-all system.

Lastly, The EC was created because the founders didn’t trust the populace to make an educated decision, so they put the power in the hands of the EC voters, who were supposed to be more elite. How does that compare to the system today?

Are the people still incapable of making educated decisions today which was one of the factors that led to the creation of the EC?

Why don't the EC go ahead and vote amongst themselves and choose who becomes the president without me standing in the line for solid 5 hours just to cast my vote when in actuality it doesn't get the president elected but determines the EC vote?

Do you know how frustrating that is?

Haven't the US constitution been amended in various times by expunging some of the contents that were drafted by the founding father's which are no longer relevant in today's world and realities?

It confuses me that we still have the electoral college system in place when it is obviously now outdated and undemocratic.

Every other election besides the presidential election is decided by popular vote. Shouldn’t the most important election in the US be decided by the whole of the population?

People who argue that the electoral college should be kept in place because the founders wanted it that way should also remember that the founders also wrote slavery into the Constitution and the Constitution after so many years got amended and expunged slavery from it, then why can’t the constitution also be amended and get rid of the electoral college?

The EC has outlived it's usefulness and antiquated

So if I get you correctly, you want ONLY the popular votes to replace the electoral College?

Have you thought about the implications of that?
Well that means a president can be elected into office just by winning coast(s) he is more popular in and losing other coasts as long as the gathers enough vote in that coast(s) to win the popular vote. At the end of the day presidential elections will be won and lost in states or coast with the highest population. Smaller, less dense states, will just be USED just to augment their lead if there ever is a need for it.

It will be like the Nigerian election where the north always determine the winners in presidential elections. Regions like south south and south east can be lost as long as you win one region in the south, which is south west.

So applying that in the US, those less populous states in time will view their votes as nothing cause it doesn't determine the eventual winner. They would be negligible like votes in the south east and south south.

The implications of that again is presidential candidates from less populous states or less influential states can never win the presidency in America based on popular votes. Only states with high population density or influential states can bring forth a candidate, which in itself is not democratic.

So whether you go with EC or popular votes (like we have in Nigeria) , they will still have their issues, the point however shouldn't be on the system used in electioneering but rather if those entrusted to run that system are credible, that is a free and fair election without rigging.

Rigging of votes is the problem of democratic elections. Either in popular votes or EC, if no rigging the people's choice will be the end result but mind you both systems will still carry their flaws.

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by backbone503(m): 11:23am On Nov 06, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:

And what makes you think that Biden winning the election will even change things that Trump couldn't or marred?

Trump has never been in public service nor actively engaged in politics and governance. Biden has. More reason he just secured the highest number of votes ever cast for a presidential candidate.

4 Likes

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by shadeyinka(m): 11:24am On Nov 06, 2020
byrron:

There is nothing objective about asking if the majority is always right because your idea of objectivity could be subjective.

The will of the people should be respected since that is the core tenets of a democracy.

...even if the uneducated are the majority?

You seem not to mind if Alimajiris and Agberos determine who rule us for the next four years as long as they form the majority.

No wonder they say "a nation deserves the kind of leaders it selects". We've been selecting bad leaders simply because by population, the majority are bad people. QED!

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Minjim: 11:26am On Nov 06, 2020
kunlegboye:
v

Lagos is the most populous
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by dollarsplenty(m): 11:27am On Nov 06, 2020
mvem:
oga it has been in place since more than 200 years of there existence. So what's your point because that's how all their president have been elected
Being in place for centuries does not justify its the best.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 11:27am On Nov 06, 2020
agabusta:

the would have of the matter if true but due balance would still be apportioned. since college would be divided by numbers of representatives in the national assembly.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by dollarsplenty(m): 11:30am On Nov 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

So if I get you correctly, you want ONLY the popular votes to replace the electoral College?

Have you thought about the implications of that?
Well that means a president can be elected into office just by winning coast(s) he is more popular in and losing other coasts as long as the gathers enough vote in that coast(s) to win the popular vote. At the end of the day presidential elections will be won and lost in states or coast with the highest population. Smaller less dense states will just be USED just to augment their lead if there ever is a need for it.

It will be like the Nigerian election where the north always determine the winners in presidential elections. Regions like south south and south east can be lost as long as you win one region in the south, which is south west.

So applying that in the US, those less populous states in time will view their votes as nothing cause it doesn't determine the eventual winner. They would be negligible like votes in the south east and south south.

The implications of that again is presidential candidates from less populous states or less influential states can never win the presidency in America based in popular votes. Only states with high population density or influence states can bring forth a candidate, which in itself is not democratic.

So whether you go with EC or popular votes (like we have in Nigeria) , they will still have their issues-the point however shouldn't be on the system used in electioneering but rather if those entrusted to run that system are credible, that is a free and fair election without rigging.

Rigging of votes is the problem of democratic elections. Either in popular votes or EC, if no rigging the people's choice will be the end result but mind you both systems will still carry their flaws.
Even here a president needs to win 2/3 of the states. it's still about fairness and equity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A White Man Learns The Meaning Of "Maga" In Nigeria, Blasts Americans / Air Force One-like Train That Will Take George Bush To His Final Resting Place / Putin Signs Electronic Conscription Bill, to block those who intend to flee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.