Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,531 members, 7,819,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

United States Electoral College Explained - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / United States Electoral College Explained (49850 Views)

U.S. Electoral College Begins Voting / DonaId Trump: I Will Give up Power If Electoral College Votes Biden In December / US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 06, 2020
shadeyinka:

...even if the uneducated are the majority?

You seem not to mind if Alimajiris and Agberos determine who rule us for the next four years as long as they form the majority.

No wonder they say "a nation deserves the kind of leaders it selects". We've been selecting bad leaders simply because by population, the majority are bad people. QED!

Well, your line of reasoning is also questionable because your analogy and examples used here clearly missed the point.

Democracy doesn't care about your status as a voter rather it gives the power to the people to elect their leaders and if you and the majority decides to vote in an agbero or an almajiri as your leaders then that's the choice of the people.

2 Likes

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by onlyfacts: 11:34am On Nov 06, 2020
dollarsplenty:
Even here a president needs to win 2/3 of the states. it's still about fairness and equity.

That's 2/3 to win. That's not purely popular votes. That's 2/3 is like the check and balance of the EC.
popular votes means the person with the highest votes win, irrespective of how that win is spread across the either country and population.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Sunisonflex39(m): 11:40am On Nov 06, 2020
2nattie:

Haba! The people over there are not like people over here. They are not hungry
bross
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Sunisonflex39(m): 11:42am On Nov 06, 2020
Mrbillionaire:

Just grease the governor's palm, he does the manipulation for you like the democrats are doing now.
this electoral college setting will be worse in Nigeria if implemented here

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

So if I get you correctly, you want ONLY the popular votes to replace the electoral College?

Have you thought about the implications of that?
Well that means a president can be elected into office just by winning coast(s) he is more popular in and losing other coasts as long as the gathers enough vote in that coast(s) to win the popular vote. At the end of the day presidential elections will be won and lost in states or coast with the highest population. Smaller, less dense states, will just be USED just to augment their lead if there ever is a need for it.

It will be like the Nigerian election where the north always determine the winners in presidential elections. Regions like south south and south east can be lost as long as you win one region in the south, which is south west.

So applying that in the US, those less populous states in time will view their votes as nothing cause it doesn't determine the eventual winner. They would be negligible like votes in the south east and south south.

The implications of that again is presidential candidates from less populous states or less influential states can never win the presidency in America based on popular votes. Only states with high population density or influential states can bring forth a candidate, which in itself is not democratic.

So whether you go with EC or popular votes (like we have in Nigeria) , they will still have their issues, the point however shouldn't be on the system used in electioneering but rather if those entrusted to run that system are credible, that is a free and fair election without rigging.

Rigging of votes is the problem of democratic elections. Either in popular votes or EC, if no rigging the people's choice will be the end result but mind you both systems will still carry their flaws.

Lot's of innuendo and you clearly forgot that there are Lot's of functional countries where true democracy is operational and the people determines their leader's through the ballots and not through the electoral college?

That Nigeria is a failed state doesn't mean there are no saner and functional countries where there democratic system of government through the ballot functions very effectively.

Seems you keep moving the goal post, you asked me my reasons for wanting the abolishment of the EC and i gave you my thoughts and I want to get your own thoughts on why you want the EC esterblished in Nigeria knowing fully that the EC was created in the united states because of certain circumstances at their time which is different from the circumstances in Nigeria today.

Will like to read your thoughts on this and i will respond much later, just need to get a few hours of sleep because I have been awake all night watching the electoral updates.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI(m): 11:46am On Nov 06, 2020
dollarsplenty:
Electoral College is anti democracy, it suppresses the people's will.

Note: For those mentioning me out of context, if few electors have more power than the real population, then what is the essence of people's power? When 538 electors have more power than over 300million people.

Before you answer, think about the real definition of democracy.

It baffles me very much, you got a lot of likes for something you know nothing about, there’s no elector in electoral College, it’s just a system whereby electoral votes are allocated to each state according to their population... California with the largest population has 55 electoral votes, and states with the Least has 3, assuming that system is used in a country like Nigeria, it’ll limit the influence of the people in Lagos, Kano, kaduna, Rivers... large states like that in determining the president and influencing minority opinions

there’s no elector in the sytem, but only electoral votes, don’t get confused by the OP

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by PervertProphet: 11:51am On Nov 06, 2020
JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI:

It baffles me very much, you got a lot of likes for something you know nothing about, there’s no elector in electoral College, it’s just a system whereby electoral votes are allocated to each state according to their population... California with the largest population has 55 electoral votes, and states with the Least has 3, assuming that’s system is used in a country like Nigeria, it’ll limit the influence of the people in Lagos, Kano, kaduna, rivers... large states like that in determining the president and influencing minority opinions

there’s no elector in the sytem, but only electoral votes, don’t get confused by the OP

Don't mind him.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by onlyfacts: 11:56am On Nov 06, 2020
byrron:

Lot's of innuendo and you clearly forgot that there are Lot's of functional countries where true democracy is operational and the people determines their leader's through the ballots and not through the electoral college?

That Nigeria is a failed state doesn't mean there are no saner and functional countries where there democratic system of government through the ballot functions very effectively.

Seems you keep moving the goal post, you asked me my reasons for wanting the abolishment of the EC and i gave you my thoughts and I want to get your own thoughts on why you want the EC esterblished in Nigeria knowing fully that the EC was created in the united states because of certain circumstances at their time which is different from the circumstances in Nigeria today.

Will like to read your thoughts on this and i will respond much later, just need to get a few hours of sleep because I have been awake all night watching the electoral updates.

I guess you are confusing me with someone else. You can check all my previous posts, I haven't spoken in FAVOUR of EC, POPULAR VOTES or any other form of electioneering.

What I spoke about was EXPLAINING THE EC on this post to people who did not understand it. So I simplified it to their understanding. In your case, you were clearly against EC and I wanted to hear why, know your logical arguments and weigh it with the knowledge I have on American electioneering using the EC. I also pointed out some of the demerits of the popular vote system, to show it's far from a perfect system like EC.

like I stated all electioneering process in democracy have merits and demerits. The KOKO rather should the the electoral umpires should hold credible, free and fair election without rigging irrespective of the system used in voting.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Hssd8: 12:03pm On Nov 06, 2020
Very shallow mind I don't why you people in the south feel you are smarter than everyone... Nonsense. Very very narrow minded
Minjim:
We need this in Nigeria in order to neutralize to an extent the huge population of illiterate and unenlightened voters of the North
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by wunmi590(m): 12:17pm On Nov 06, 2020
[quote author=pek post=95744027][/quote]

Thank you for the correction
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by wunmi590(m): 12:18pm On Nov 06, 2020
yahmohy27:

I learned he might go to jail for tax evasion.
But now he's still enjoying immunity

You are very correct sir
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by wunmi590(m): 12:19pm On Nov 06, 2020
ultimate77:

Where are you resident again?

Why do you want to know?

Mississippi wink
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 06, 2020
IamPlato:
there is no method people will not find a way to cheat.

anyway, just remember that when we vote, majority can ignorantly pick the wrong person

THAT IS THE BEAUTY OF DEMOCRACY . grin .

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by EndKILLERSARS: 12:27pm On Nov 06, 2020
Great
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by shadeyinka(m): 12:28pm On Nov 06, 2020
byrron:

Well, your line of reasoning is also questionable because your analogy and examples used here clearly missed the point.

Democracy doesn't care about your status as a voter rather it gives the power to the people to elect their leaders and if you and the majority decides to vote in an agbero or an almajiri as your leaders then that's the choice of the people.
Democracy was conceived by human beings and therefore not perfect. It has its own problems.
Solution of such problem is the introduction also by human beings of modifications such as the use of the Electoral College systems (designed to solve the problem of the mob electing a leader without a good rational). The Electoral College solution may have solved the problem but because it is human made, it is not perfect and is still therefore subject to modifications!

My take on it.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by nanbaljenas(m): 12:30pm On Nov 06, 2020
Sunisonflex39:
Is it only me that thinks that this electoral college setting is easy vote buying.. A president can walk up to a governor or so and pay him so and so dollars to vote for him.. At least this one will be easier than going over to the citizens to share tradermoni farmermoni feedingmoni and all sort of nonsense moni we have here in Nigeria..

Its not easy like that oo You will have win the popular votes to win the electoral Votes
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by usibengate(m): 12:59pm On Nov 06, 2020
Nice
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by OgaRico(m): 1:00pm On Nov 06, 2020
wunmi590:

Thank you for refreshing our memories again OP.

We already know this before.

Both the popular vote and the electoral vote, Biden is coasting to victory and he would be declared the new POTUS, either trump likes it or not.

Trump condemned mail voting, and all sought, forgetting that was part of what made him won his first election .

He should please go and rest in his house, the Americans are done with him, tey don't want him anymore.

Please if you are close to trump, tell him to honorably and stylishly copied our dear GEJ and call Biden to congratulate him peaceful so that him and his son won't go to jail.

Most especially his son

And then after Trump is done calling Joe Boy(Biden) to congratulate him and hand over power,Biden will now turn America to like what Nigeria is under Buhari where Nigerians are dying more than ever with Buhari steady going on foreign vacations in disguise calling it medical check up,right?
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Deepthoughts: 1:08pm On Nov 06, 2020
Zontage:
United States Electoral College Explained

As prescribed in the U.S. Constitution, American presidents are elected not directly by the people, but by the people's electors. The Electoral College was created by the framers of the U.S. Constitution as an alternative to electing the president by popular vote or by Congress. If it were by popular vote or who gets the most votes, Hillary Clinton would have won in 2016 and Joe Biden would have been declared winner by now. Biden has also received the most votes of any president in American history. Whomever reaches the 270 electoral votes will be officially declared winner. In this system, Trump still has a chance of winning.

The United States Electoral College is a name used to describe the official 538 Presidential electors who come together every four years during the presidential election to give their official votes for President and Vice President of the United States.The Constitution leaves states to decide how electors will vote. It began In 1804, 12th Amendment to the Constitution made sure that electors designate their votes for president and vice president, but the 12th Amendment leaves in place a tie breaking system established by the Constitution by which the House of Representatives breaks a tie on presidential electoral votes and the Senate.

The election of the president of the United States is a two-step process. First, voters cast ballots on Election Day in each state. In nearly every state, the candidate who gets the most votes wins the "electoral votes" for that state, and gets that number of voters (or "electors"wink in the "Electoral College." In the Electoral College system, each state gets a certain number of electors based on its total number of representatives in Congress. Each elector casts one electoral vote following the general election; there are a total of 538 electoral votes. The candidate that gets more than half (270) wins the election.

What happens if no candidate gets enough electoral votes?Pursuant to the 12th Amendment, the House of Representatives is required to go into session immediately after the counting of the electoral votes to vote for president if no candidate for the office receives a majority of the electoral votes. ... The House continues balloting until it elects a president.

Who sits on the Electoral College? The president and vice president of the United States are elected by the Electoral College, which consists of 538 electors from the fifty states and Washington, D.C. Electors are selected state-by-state, as determined by the laws of each state.

Addendum: Electoral College is a system born of compromise deeply rooted in America's slavery foundation. I will explain this in my subsequent post.

Thank you.

Source: Maria Ude Nwachi

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2862531247403118&id=100009388131283
well tanx,but there are still unanswered questions like,how is an individual choosing to be a state electoral college delegate?,can an electoral college delegate for whomever he/she wish or is it a must that they vote for the candidate that won the popular vote in a particular state?,by the way I thought US elections are done by electronic voting how come there are stories of endless ballots counting?, please enlighten me the more.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Minjim: 1:26pm On Nov 06, 2020
Hssd8:
Very shallow mind I don't why you people in the south feel you are smarter than everyone... Nonsense. Very very narrow minded

First of, your comment is laced with a plethora of grammatical and punctuational errors. Nonetheless, I'll overlook that and reply you.

I had my first degree in Katsina (Fat.Kat) and I was the overall best my school.
So you see...
When most of you start reasoning outside ethnic and religion intolerance that's when you get the regard you assume you deserve.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by mvem(m): 1:27pm On Nov 06, 2020
dollarsplenty:
Being in place for centuries does not justify its the best.
they still remain the standard of democracy
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by yoyade1234: 1:28pm On Nov 06, 2020
CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by ultimate77(m): 1:35pm On Nov 06, 2020
wunmi590:

Why do you want to know?

Mississippi wink

I see
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Gordieshegz(m): 1:46pm On Nov 06, 2020
dollarsplenty:
Electoral College is anti democracy, it suppresses the people's will.

Note: For those mentioning me out of context, if few electors have more power than the real population, then what is the essence of people's power? When 538 electors have more power than over 300million people.

Before you answer, think about the real definition of democracy.

You are very right.
After this election, I expect many bills to be sponsored against it.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by agabusta: 1:47pm On Nov 06, 2020
Preshob:

You're exaggerating right 50 what?? no state in America even have up to 50 electoral college votes including the big states like New York, California, Texas etc. Yes most northern states will have a higher electoral voters but it won't be that much and it can be countered if a candidate is able to win a greater number of states

California has 55 electors.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by agabusta: 1:52pm On Nov 06, 2020
backbone503:

Trump has never been in public service nor actively engaged in politics and governance. Biden has. More reason he just secured the highest number of votes ever cast for a presidential candidate.

...and probably why he got 90% plus of the votes cast at Washington DC.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by agabusta: 1:54pm On Nov 06, 2020
jadeliyi:

the would have of the matter if true but due balance would still be apportioned. since college would be divided by numbers of representatives in the national assembly.

Kano has more representatives at the National Assembly.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by agabusta: 1:56pm On Nov 06, 2020
dollarsplenty:
Even here a president needs to win 2/3 of the states. it's still about fairness and equity.

Not win 2/3rd but ensure he/she get 1/4 of the total votes in each of 2/3rd states.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Ofiagu(m): 2:02pm On Nov 06, 2020
This being the case, then we have not been told the whole truth by the saying that Nigerian democracy is a replica of American democracy.

Isn't it obvious now we still have a long way to go in other to catch up with the U.S.A. model of democracy and electoral system?
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Gordieshegz(m): 2:09pm On Nov 06, 2020
leicestercamper:
It is not as easy as you thought because voters determines who wins states electoral votes/college. Governor has one vote and you cannot buy rice or salt to woo American voters like it is done in Nigeria because poverty level in US is among the lowest, if not the lowest in the world.

While the first part of your submission is true, the ending part wasn't correct.

The lowest poverty level are seen among the Scandinavians, Switzerland, Luxembourg amd many other European nations.
Eventhough the US has the highest collective fortune, her standard of living, per capital income and other indicators rank below many european countries
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by pacespot(m): 2:10pm On Nov 06, 2020
People should be aware that while electoral college votes are assigned differently for each state, it is still the people that determine the outcome of electoral votes that a person vying for presidency will get. So if you don't win the popular votes for a particular state, there is no way you can win the electoral college votes for the state either. I think what the American democratic process is trying to say is that each state is independent of the Federal government. The state controls the police, budgets, and some other vital resources, even foreign investments. A state also has the autonomy over its judicial system, implementing some laws as regards to land use, and many others. I think that is why the country is called the "United States of America", because it is just the unification of many autonomous states.

Nigeria needs to learn something about true federalism from USA.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A White Man Learns The Meaning Of "Maga" In Nigeria, Blasts Americans / Air Force One-like Train That Will Take George Bush To His Final Resting Place / Putin Signs Electronic Conscription Bill, to block those who intend to flee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.