Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,407 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 (851 Views)

All Northern Okada/bike Riders I Knew Says No To APC . / Lagos Generated More Revenue Than All Northern States In First Half Of 2021- NBS / How Some PDP Governors, Northern Leaders Made Me Lost Re-election – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 by Kayodedavies101: 12:32pm On Nov 06, 2020
Nobody have ever ask this question...
Why are all northern leaders Knighted before independence in 1960 and no single southern leaders was given that honour...
Nigeria is been build by the British so dat the North can dominate the south...
Re: Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 by Positivepoint(m): 12:38pm On Nov 06, 2020
Kayodedavies101:
Why are all northern leaders Knighted before independence in 1960 and no single southern leaders was given that honour...

sir herbert macaulay amongst many. Stop the sentiment

1 Like

Re: Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:42pm On Nov 06, 2020
Kayodedavies101:

I do know when the Queen visited in 1956, she knighted Sir Akanu Ibiam and (i think) Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNAP9noiyD8
Re: Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 by Christistruth00: 1:48pm On Nov 06, 2020
Kayodedavies101:

Ojukwu's father Sir Louis Ojukwu was also Knighted at the same time as Ahmadu Bello and Balewa also Knighted was Sir Ademola Adetokunbo Chief justice of Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 by Blankstare(m): 2:45pm On Nov 06, 2020
Once upon a time, the highest title in Nigeria was “Sir,” i.e. a person knighted by the British Queen with a KCMG [Knight Commander of Saint Michael and Saint George]. The men who bore the title “Sir” were the grandest in Nigeria in those days. They were not so many. They include Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Sir Ahmadu Bello, Sir Kashim Ibrahim, Sir Aderemi Adesoji, Sir Adetokunbo Ademola, Sir Darnley Alexander, Sir Akanu Ibiam, Sir Abubakar III, Sir Usman Nagogo and Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony. I still do not know why Queen Elizabeth did not confer KCMG on Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe and Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

1 Like

Re: Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 by 2by40ft: 2:50pm On Nov 06, 2020
By now op, know he was asking an ignorant question.
Re: Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 by Babanah: 2:58pm On Nov 06, 2020
I think so of them rejected the knighthood. They saw it as relics of the the colonial past. Nigeria then was about to move into a new era.
Of what use is the title Knight of the British empire to a full blooded and proud Nigerian in those days. Does anyone remember the Christian names of Chief Obafemi Awolowo or Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe? If shows that they were true nationalists.

1 Like

Re: Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 by Throwback: 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2020
Babanah:
I think so of them rejected the knighthood. They saw it as relics of the the colonial past. Nigeria then was about to move into a new era.
Of what use is the title Knight of the British empire to a full blooded and proud Nigerian in those days. Does anyone remember the Christian names of Chief Obafemi Awolowo or Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe? If shows that they were true nationalists.

Jeremiah and Benjamin, respectively.

But they left those names behind in their pursuit for African independence.
Re: Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 by Babanah: 3:13pm On Nov 06, 2020
My point is most of the Nigerian elite wanted to demonstrate their newly won independence by doing away with the past.
Most Nigerian apart from catholics do not bear Christian names anymore. During the colonial era you must have a Christian (English) name if you are a Christian.
Re: Why Are All Northern Leaders Knighted B4 Nigeria Independence In 1960 by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:25pm On Nov 07, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

I do know when the Queen visited in 1956, she knighted Sir Akanu Ibiam and (i think) Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNAP9noiyD8

Just noticed Ikembas' Dad and Mum (at 1.21) greeting the Queen on her visit to Enugu. He looks a bit like MKO Abiola doesn't he?

The much talked about Rolls is seen in the next clip. wink

(1) (Reply)

The Incessant Killing Of Our Soldiers By BH / Governor Ayade's Absence At PDP Meeting Fuels Defection Plan / Yola Communities Ready For The June 12 Nationwide Protest Tagged Buhari Must Go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.