Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,535 members, 7,954,998 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:05 PM

All I Have Is My Voice, I Should Not Be Unfairly Targeted For Using It: Oduala - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / All I Have Is My Voice, I Should Not Be Unfairly Targeted For Using It: Oduala (261 Views)

Yemi Blaq: My Voice Once Got Me An Instant Job / Actress, Doris Simeon Finds New Love, Weds Popular Movie Director, Taiwo Oduala / Yul Edochie: My Baritone Voice, I Was Named After Yul Brynner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

All I Have Is My Voice, I Should Not Be Unfairly Targeted For Using It: Oduala by Nairablink(m): 6:23am On Nov 10, 2020
All I Have is My Voice, I Should Not Be Unfairly Targeted For Using It: RINU ODUALA

A few days ago, I turned 22. I am part of a generation of Nigerians who have lived most of their adult lives under ‘democratic’ rule and yet, I wake up this morning feeling there is no difference between the Nigeria I grew up in, and the Nigeria my parents grew up in. The sacrifices of the democrats who bravely stood on the June 12 mandate to bring our democracy to life seem to be in vain. Ironically, many of who are serving in this government and ruling party.

Everywhere I turn, I am told that I should be ‘grateful’ for a democracy that lives were lost, I should be thankful that I have a voice and I can speak up for myself and my peers. But how can I be grateful when young men and women disappear every day, some killed recklessly without cause, while others get scarred for life—physically, emotionally, or both.

EndSars: Don’t Be an Instrument of Destruction

When we began to protest, it was because young Nigerians decided to speak up.

We spoke up - not because we wanted to overthrow the government but because we wanted the police to stop killing us. We did not carry arms, or incite any insurrection. Our only weapon was peaceful protest enshrined in Section 40 of our 1999 Constitution. At every point we maintained calm and educated our followers - reiterating throughout the protests that we were not there to fight the government but to ask for change and to follow through to make sure that change was effected.

We believed that somehow we would be spared from the systemic violence and breakdown of social order, the direct result of the government’s actions. Unfortunately we were mistaken.

#EndSars: Police is Now The Sacrificial Lamb -Inspector Adeleke and Ojogbon Tope Aladejobi

I was nominated to receive donations to the EndSARS cause by Nigerians at home and abroad who felt helpless to personally protest but believed they could make a difference through financial sacrifices. Such was the passion of average Nigerians to contribute how best they can to the #EndSARS cause, who sent in what they could sacrifice towards the cause. Some people even donated ₦500, which I strongly believe meant a lot to them, as it could have been all they could spare towards the cause. To have their motives behind their sacrificial efforts questioned is disheartening. The funds in question here also includes some of my personal hard earned money of over N200,000 naira. These funds were earmarked for disbursement towards the medical bills of injured protesters.

Amongst other Read more

Re: All I Have Is My Voice, I Should Not Be Unfairly Targeted For Using It: Oduala by doggedfighter(f): 6:43am On Nov 10, 2020
Haters of truth will hate your voice because truth bites them !!

(1) (Reply)

Lil Frosh's Girlfriend Reacts After He Denied Beating Her Up / Who Is The Best Photographer In Bayelsa State? / First Video From Actor, Williams Uchemba's Wedding Holding Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.